GMC Jam Discussion The Experimental GMC Jam #3 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ruhar

Some updated gameplay in the GIF above. I've mostly been polishing gamefeel since I feel like it's the most important aspect of a game (other than the game actually working). The world in my game resets every 5 seconds. I'll add other things to reset in the future, such as obstacles, other enemies, whatever else I can think of. Maybe add some powerups that speed up or slow down the reset. Lots of things I could add now that the basic concept is coming together.

R

Ruhar

I'm trying to keep it from being too ambitious
Yea, that was my main goal too, keeping the scope reasonable for my skill level. I'm thinking I did pretty well but I don't have any classes tomorrow or the next day and I'm afraid the scope might actually be too small lol. It's always easier to add some extra ideas than to scale down a big idea though.

The M

I've juiced up impact from my bullets. They now knock back enemies and the enemies don't just pop away when they die. They're small things but hopefully they'll add up.

sylvain_l

I'll gladly show you how to do it.
Finally got an other idea. (perhaps not a good thing; cause cross-thinking of Dr. Who + Pony Island + my last entry = some overcomplicated concept, I'm doomed :D )

But out of curiosity, I'm interested to know how you did it.(just the basic concept). What design I came with was quite more simple that it appears for me. Just a simple switch in the step event of the AI. when time goes, each step the AI calculate its new position and store it previous position in a pile. When player is pressing the revers button, time reverse, each step the AI just pull out the last position from the pile, to know where to move back. Only need to have a cleaning function too when time goes to remove the oldest entry when pile size is maxed.

Damn, I'll need to participate in a lot of gamejams, until I start mastering the way of generating a game concept that suits my skills and the short timeframe availlable, all that in a few hours, not half or a full day :p

The M

Has GM:S always had the issue that you can't mix code with d'n'd? I don't recall that I've had problems with that earlier.

Edit: well that's just odd. It seems that it's fine for most objects but that there are some that just won't accept it. Whatever, it's not like I can't do the things in code anyway.

Edit 2: Now I'm officially following the theme I suppose. :)

Last edited:

Micah_DS

I updated my post in the games topic to at least show something to give an idea of what I'm doing. For the moment, this is pretty much all I have that's visual:

Honestly, it's not a very revealing/descriptive graphic and it probably doesn't impress at all either, but just wait. I'm pretty confident this is gonna be something fun to play, which is more than I can say for my game last jam. This time, it's all about the gameplay. Screw the graphics! ...well, maybe.. I do like pretty things.

The M

It looks like omitting the third part of a for-loop causes the script editor to flag for syntax error, though everything compiles just fine.

Maybe I should just have gone for GMS2 instead. :rolleyes:

Edit: what, now it won't compile either!? Is it just that I'm doing something wrong then? Arrgh!
Edit2: and now I solved it by adding the expression i = i. Fantastic!

Last edited:
M

Matthew Brown

Well I have proof of concept down, but that's about it so far... xD

M

Misty

Download some more Internet to an external hard disk.
Won't work. Have to put the hard disk to the internet, its a one way road.

If you code some internet into your game, you won't need it in real life.

On a serious note, I was browsing through old jams a few days ago and people were told they could submit their games a bit late if they didn't work on them after the cutoff. You could also try to finish and submit early or go to a 24/7 McDonalds with Wi-Fi or something if you're going to be up anyway.
Ok I am going to send Alice a PM to see if it's ok.

I think the McDonald's near me is out of business but I will double check and see.

M

Miner7365

welp, since I basically have been silent this whole jam thus far, he is a update in what i'm doing.

Into Oblivion Title.png

I have a bunch of the coding done too, i might actually be able to get this game done today if I work decently fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Miner7365

jesus christ this cold is getting worse by the hour... i need to get this game done soon or I don't think i will be able too...

O

Otyugra

I'm bowing out. Sorry peeps. It was definitely worth it though; I was able to come up with a cool idea for a game in the process.

R

Ruhar

I've never actually finished a game before. Where and how do I upload the game when it's finished?

JacobV

Didn't get nearly as much work done today as I hoped to. Got interrupted by a lot of family stuff. It's gonna be a pretty close finish!

I added parallax backdrops, the game's intro, characters, sound, and a good chunk of the "story". Also started on the final dungeon. Tomorrow I have to finish that, add dialogue, and make the actual time loop.

disaster.png

niceness.png

The M

I've never actually finished a game before. Where and how do I upload the game when it's finished?
You'll need to upload it on your own (I'd suggest Dropbox if you haven't got it), then put a download link in your post in the games-topic.

S

Sinaz20

gif-4.gif

Man, most of the day was spent writing an input system and coding the basics of the controls and combat system. Devlog has been updated.

We got a lot done. There's a lot of cool little systems that I've been keeping bottled up in my head. Like, the CPU enemies each play with a virtual controller. I wrote a script to time my own reflexes, then gave the CPU players similar reflexes. They have to press virtual buttons and virtual analog sticks to play. Both the player's input and the CPU's input get filtered through the same core logic.

@K-BitCRUSH : I'm looking forward to your game. If the theme had been Mirror Image, one of our concepts was a Tetris/Match 3 type game.

@Diptoman : Your's looks exciting, too. I love the sort of circle/node built characters. Reminds me a bit of Vectorman.

@ghandpivot : I don't know what your game has to do with the theme, but every time I see the gameplay gifs, I laugh out loud at them. Looking forward to it!

Everyone else's games are looking pretty fine. Looking forward to giving them all a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

The M

That feeling when you realize you can use a single surface and some trickery instead of two surfaces, boosting efficiency with 50%! :D

TehPilot

Hey guys, unfortunately I ran into Things and won't be able to finish. I don't like submitting half-finished work, so I'll just peacefully bow out for now this jam. Doing jams during academic time periods is a balancing act that doesn't always work out, hey hey.

With permission from Fugue I'll still throw up what I was working on since I think it's a shame to let my playing with window commands and Fugue's excellent work go to waste for now. I'll probably finish it once I explore exactly what I wanted to do with it - a technical issue was the straw that broke the camel's back with executing the idea fully.

To make up for this I'll see if I can do a round of reviews. Best of luck guys!

ghandpivot

The best thing about GMC Jams is that you never have to use your code again. I tend to keep organized and name every single segment of code, but for the last 2 hours I've been fixing a bug with the collisions allowing you to slide up walls, and now when the battle finally is over my code looks like this:

A ")" got cut out after obj_canon

Before I tackled this bug I had 2 lines of code, one for collision with static_parent and one for dynamic_parent. That didn't work perfectly, and since I wont be working on this project anymore I figured I might as well go full out rampage.
Though that didn't work either for all collisions, so I had to add exceptions to the system for all rooms featuring collisions that broke with the new system.

Now it works, though I wonder how the performance looks on a low-specc computer :)

Oh, and I don't quite get why bbox_bottom-14 gives a good collision for a 32x32, centered object. Is it because phy_overlap checks collisions based on the sprite's center?

Last edited:
L

Lemth

Got one level done.
On to sound, interface, and menu.
... and more levels.

C

CoderJoe

everyone's got so much work done! All I have is a couple animations and some basic platforming done. Looks like I got a busy day ahead...

ghandpivot

Is this correct English?
- He just needed a helping hand.
- Oh, really... From whom?

Edit: It is :)

Last edited:

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
This is the motivated I've been during a jam for quite a while! I'm actually pretty happy with my entry so far.

Also, this is my 100th post (about time!)

Nallebeorn

Okay, guess I'm "finished" now. Of course, I would have needed more time, but that's just part of the jam spirit :p
Download Here

Screenie:

I really feel like the timelooping mechanics of my game has a lot of potential that I didn't really get to tap into during the jam. Would be fun to continue working on this post-jam, and add some more levels and level design features. Granted, I say that almost every jam, but I never commit to actually release a post-jam edition:rolleyes:

I have updated the post in the games topic as well, so... I suppose I go to sleep now and just hope there are no breaking bugs left.
I had a lot of fun this time, loved the theme! Looking forward to playing the your games :)

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Can someone tell me where the "README" file goes? I kept reading a reference that the "application" recognizes the "README" file but I have no idea what application this is. Does it go in the folder for the game? Because they said to zip the folder before they talk about the "README" file. Does it go on the website as a link? I don't know, someone clue me in please.

C

CoderJoe

Can someone tell me where the "README" file goes? I kept reading a reference that the "application" recognizes the "README" file but I have no idea what application this is. Does it go in the folder for the game? Because they said to zip the folder before they talk about the "README" file. Does it go on the website as a link? I don't know, someone clue me in please.
So if you put your game in a folder with a README file then zip it up, Alice puts all the games together with an application that randomly selects a game and lets you rate them all together. It makes it much easier than keeping track of each game yourself.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

So if you put your game in a folder with a README file then zip it up, Alice puts all the games together with an application that randomly selects a game and lets you rate them all together. It makes it much easier than keeping track of each game yourself.
Excellent. Thank you very much @CoderJoe.

R

Ruhar

Well, my game is playable as it is. I still have to add sounds and I'd like to add a few small things but it looks like I'm going to finish in time. If not, it's playable and beatable as it is anyway. Can't wait to be done. Taking a break to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.