Alpha the world pillar

It looks cool. Is it going to pop up in different spots? It seems like a Fireworm thing from Starcraft 2, in the Zerg Campaign.

L

Lockwork

It looks cool. Is it going to pop up in different spots? It seems like a Fireworm thing from Starcraft 2, in the Zerg Campaign.
yeah i was thinking it would pop up attack go back down. maybe the player needs to find a way to stun it so he can get some hits off. standard boss stuff.
it does look zergy. not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

it does look zergy. not sure if that is a good or bad thing.
Heh, me either. It looks really cool though. The fact it doesn't have eyes is weird, but actually makes it really interesting.

Try to find something for it to do that is not "standard boss stuff". Think of things that will make people play your game over other RPG games. But I think the concept you've got right now is pretty good, and I'd say go for it.

L

Lockwork

Heh, me either. It looks really cool though. The fact it doesn't have eyes is weird, but actually makes it really interesting.

Try to find something for it to do that is not "standard boss stuff". Think of things that will make people play your game over other RPG games. But I think the concept you've got right now is pretty good, and I'd say go for it.
thanks, i'll try my best!

Um... It looks okay (obviously WIP). Depends partly on if you plan to have more characters or not.

How much have you planned ahead? Do you have a specific plan and design or are you just adding features you think are cool?

I'd make sure to have the rest of the GUI clear and consistent first. But sometimes portraits can be really cool.

M

MEITdev

Hi there!

I have recorded a short "honest first impressions" feedback video for your game.

The reason WHY is explained HERE

The purpose of this video is for you as a developer to see how players play your game, what are their expressions as well as some likes and dislikes.
Basically the personal feedback is something that is hard to get, so I am hoping to help you just a little bit with this video.

PS: Sorry for the delay, holidays and stuff slowed me down :) Hope you will find this helpful to your game development!

L

Lockwork

Hi there!

I have recorded a short "honest first impressions" feedback video for your game.

The reason WHY is explained HERE

The purpose of this video is for you as a developer to see how players play your game, what are their expressions as well as some likes and dislikes.
Basically the personal feedback is something that is hard to get, so I am hoping to help you just a little bit with this video.

PS: Sorry for the delay, holidays and stuff slowed me down :) Hope you will find this helpful to your game development!

thanks! i'll check it out.I hope it wasn't to much of a pain to play. the game is in somewhat of a mess right now. :p

L

Lockwork

Um... It looks okay (obviously WIP). Depends partly on if you plan to have more characters or not.

How much have you planned ahead? Do you have a specific plan and design or are you just adding features you think are cool?

I'd make sure to have the rest of the GUI clear and consistent first. But sometimes portraits can be really cool.
i plan to have one other playable character and some npc's. the design has been up in the air since day one. i really need to sit down and think it out, because
i'm starting to hit some what of a wall.

L

Lockwork

Cool boss concept, Will he have a ranged attack?
i was thinking maybe he spits a poison that when hits something solid starts to spread around the level. then the player would have to avoid it. and as the fight go's on the player would lose ground.
idk just a thought.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
i was thinking maybe he spits a poison that when hits something solid starts to spread around the level. then the player would have to avoid it. and as the fight go's on the player would lose ground.
idk just a thought.
Cool! [For me] that would be a balanced bossfight, I'll stick up to this thread. has potential :)

L

Lockwork

Cool! [For me] that would be a balanced bossfight, I'll stick up to this thread. has potential :)
as far as being balanced, i guess it depends on how well i execute it. thanks i hope i can take that potential and make a good game!

Slyddar

Great job. I've only just started in Gamemaker and have been following Ben's (HeartBeast) Make an RPG series over the last few weeks. It's great to see someone else who followed it, and then added onto his framework. Keen to see where you head with it.

L

Lockwork

Great job. I've only just started in Gamemaker and have been following Ben's (HeartBeast) Make an RPG series over the last few weeks. It's great to see someone else who followed it, and then added onto his framework. Keen to see where you head with it.

thanks! i started maybe six months ago, no exp writing code before hand. his videos helped me out immensely and still do. follow the whole series and you will be making sweet game in no time.

Repix

Looks great!

Just about the only 2 things I didn't feel. That would be the bow and the limited mouse control of just about everything. (Looking around, menu, inventory.) But I'm guessing you're already working on that. Great job!

L

Lockwork

Looks great!

Just about the only 2 things I didn't feel. That would be the bow and the limited mouse control of just about everything. (Looking around, menu, inventory.) But I'm guessing you're already working on that. Great job!
its on my to do list. thanks!

R

Ruhar

I found a little glitch. I'm able to shift move onto the other side of walls (only in certain, seemingly random areas) and it's hard to shift move out of them.

Aside from that, I like the feel of the game. The movement is nice and the artwork works well. Looking forward to following the game and I'll be sure to offer any opinions as they come to me.

Attachments

L

Lockwork

I found a little glitch. I'm able to shift move onto the other side of walls (only in certain, seemingly random areas) and it's hard to shift move out of them.

Aside from that, I like the feel of the game. The movement is nice and the artwork works well. Looking forward to following the game and I'll be sure to offer any opinions as they come to me.
thanks for the bug report. if you see anything i should change or just looks odd to you, feel free to point it out.

L

Lockwork

screen_shot_9.png screen_shot_8.png

working on my cave tiles. add a dungeon entrance. updated the hp/exp bars. fixed a bug made some new bugs...
reworked the player dash, looks and feels much better.
been a good week so far.

Yes! The health bar and XP bar looks fantastic now. Are you going to have a new download available soon? I can't wait to play more of this.

RangerX

This looks great. Although I would put the HUD elements on the sides since there's less gameplay view space vertically.

L

Lockwork

Skeleton_Walk_down_gif.gif
working on this guy to replace my old skeleton.
trying to keep all my art consistent.

K

Kestril

I really like the style, particularly the animation of the main character.

I'd make a note to give the enemies a little bit more of a "telegraph" animation for their attacks. The slimes and skeletons seem to attack very fast.

Also, the stamina/health bar is a little small. I'd lose track of it in a fight.

Other than that, it's headed in a great direction. I'm really impressed with your sprite work!

L

Lockwork

I really like the style, particularly the animation of the main character.

I'd make a note to give the enemies a little bit more of a "telegraph" animation for their attacks. The slimes and skeletons seem to attack very fast.

Also, the stamina/health bar is a little small. I'd lose track of it in a fight.

Other than that, it's headed in a great direction. I'm really impressed with your sprite work!

just started working with another developer, and the first thing we are working on is the combat.
when we get that set up i'll have some attack animations to go with it.
i'll consider scaling up the UI a bit.

thanks for the feedback!

RangerX

Since you're working on the combat....
I feel there's something about the collision or the rules for the hero to get hit that feels wonky. Many times I got hit but FELT it was wrong. Hard to put my finger on it.
Its the only downside I found at your game so far. The feeling that sometimes the combat is cheap, I the mean that I get cheap hits.

L

Lockwork

Since you're working on the combat....
I feel there's something about the collision or the rules for the hero to get hit that feels wonky. Many times I got hit but FELT it was wrong. Hard to put my finger on it.
Its the only downside I found at your game so far. The feeling that sometimes the combat is cheap, I the mean that I get cheap hits.
could be the lack of enemy animations. or maybe i need to tweak the hit boxes more.
thanks for pointing that out.

I don't have a clue what it means, but it seems like a fine title assuming that it relates to the story.

I'd search the name on different search engines and see if you're okay competing with those results. It appears that World Pillar is something from WOW, but so is the main item in my game, I've decided that EVERYTHING is in WOW, so it probably doesn't ever matter.

L

Lockwork

I don't have a clue what it means, but it seems like a fine title assuming that it relates to the story.

I'd search the name on different search engines and see if you're okay competing with those results. It appears that World Pillar is something from WOW, but so is the main item in my game, I've decided that EVERYTHING is in WOW, so it probably doesn't ever matter.
yeah i just liked the sound of it. i'll try and tie it in with the lore or something.

L

Lockwork

roll wip.gif working on a roll animation.. not as easy as i thought it would be.

N

N8Games

Wow this game looks really good. Reminds me a lot of the old NES RPG games I use to play.

I'll try the demo when I get home. I'm excited to try it and watch this game grow.

Kudos on all your hard work.

L

Lockwork

Wow this game looks really good. Reminds me a lot of the old NES RPG games I use to play.

I'll try the demo when I get home. I'm excited to try it and watch this game grow.

Kudos on all your hard work.
thanks! yeah give it a play! its not much but i got a lot of the ground work in place.

L

Lockwork

stone_enemy_idle_gif.gif
starting work on this big guy. can't wait to see him smack the hero around a bit ;)

edit: fixed a few bouncy man part issues.. :confused::eek:

Last edited by a moderator: