• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

My game is 1GB but should be < 100MB

M

MaiNaym

Just like the title says :p

the game contains 32 sound effects, and my soundtrack (which is only 12 songs).

64 pieces of art.

About 4,000 lines of code.

So why is it 1 gigabyte? That sounds pretty extreme. Is there a way I can compress this?
Thanks for any help guys!:D

Is this the project file or the executable?

The project file is going to be a lot bigger than the executable game, because it contains backups and .png's of the sprites and other graphics stuff. I think most stuff is less space efficient in the project file. Also, how big are your sprites? Large sprites or backgrounds can be larger than you think. Don't know enough about the sound to help you there.

Ninety

Audio is often the killer for file size. What's the size of the soundtrack outside the project file?

J

JarodTheGreat

If I were you, I would load soundtracks and even sound effects externally to allow the game to load and run faster.

M

MaiNaym

I did use .wav for everything. But my soundtrack is only 12 tracks and i exported all songs to be 128kbps so each song is about 5-15MB.
Just about every sprite is 16x16.
I do have plenty of audio, but this shouldn't cause such a large file size.
But yes, the EXECUTABLE is 1GB. So strange to me :p

Bingdom

Googledom
maybe you use .wav instead of mp3 or ogg?
A .wav file would use more data than either of those.

I would recommend exporting all sound effects and music to an ogg file. It's free and a more compressed format than .wav. Mp3 may reduce audio quality, so I don't recommend it.
I think game maker automatically converts your music files to ogg anyway, so it may not make a difference.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Zip, installer or single EXE? If it's the zip then open it and see what files you have? And if it's not, then export as a zip and look see... Or if it's as an installer, install it on the machine and see what size the install folder is afterwards. If it's the single exe, then just don't. Single exe is crap and is only in for small projects for testing and isn't really designed for creating final builds or large games. I would also check your Audio settings. GMS will convert all streamed audio to MP3/Ogg on compile and if you have the settings there higher than the baseline audio, then you'll be getting file bloat with no increase in quality. If you recorded the sounds at 22,050khz and a 128kbs bitrate then converting them to 48,000/192 is going to explode the file size.

TrunX

I've always wondered if its possible for GM to detect the source bitrate and whether it is mono or stereo and take the source values as the default values?

B

Benito

1gb wav = 100 mb mp3
can you order files by size and change format of big files to mp3