• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Purpose of GM:S 2?

B

Blakkid489

After reading the documents, watching tutorials, and skimming through the forums of developers finding many many many MANY issues still being fixed or changed, it seems GM:S 2 doesn't really enhance the way games are made but rather change (or improving) the workflow when designing a game. Is that all what it does? I'm not bashing on the new program, I'm only looking for a reason to upgrade from GM:S.

csanyk

After reading the documents, watching tutorials, and skimming through the forums of developers finding many many many MANY issues still being fixed or changed, it seems GM:S 2 doesn't really enhance the way games are made but rather change (or improving) the workflow when designing a game. Is that all what it does? I'm not bashing on the new program, I'm only looking for a reason to upgrade from GM:S.
It's a Beta release, of course there are issues.

The main reason to upgrade is that these changes to workflow are a big deal, and make GMS easier and faster to work with. Or, they will, once you get used to them, and YYG have gotten the bugs worked out and the rough edges polished down.

The Room Editor especially is a big deal. Lots of improvements. Probably the biggest reason to upgrade if you had to pick only one.

As well, there are supposedly performance improvements at runtime. I don't doubt it, but I haven't tested it to verify.

L

LarryP

One of the main reasons I would like to use GM2 is the ability to convert script to D&D, and vice versa. However, the bugs I have of not being able to un-attach tabs and put them on my second monitor keep me in Unity3d. Clicking outside of GM2 in my second monitor causes too many issues. I have tried everything I can think of, and yes I turned this in as a bug. I really like the new GM2 though. It's nice to be able to use script or D&D.

B

Blakkid489

Well initially when I saw the new UI I was impressed by the branching system in place and was curious and the new changes implied. After I watching some videos and learning about the IDE a little better (despite its flaws) I guess the "Main" reason I think for me upgrading would be the tile system and sprite editor.

The room editor of course seems to be everybody's favorite change. but personally I find its not so user friendly and a little confusing at first glance. Yes, I've watched videos on the editor but still feel its a bit hard to fully understand. Still in BETA though so I should probably just keep asking questions more about the editor.

@

@Alex@

GM:S 2 Adds few things in terms of GML but bucket loads in terms of Quality of Life additions. GM:S 2 is still in Beta and if your put off by bugs this is not the time to upgrade. At least wait for the full product release.

XanthorXIII

Don't forget, since this was built up from scratch as a C++ program they can make huge improvements anytime where as the old version was built in Delphi and had major problems when they tried improving the program

S

sumofunk

Room editor and layering system is so fantastic you just really have to stop researching and questioning and give it a good test run. Don't criticize or judge how you go about it, just jump in and slap stuff together. You'll love it and get to know it's potential fairly quickly. That's the best way to satisfy your questions and save you time thinking or researching to figure out what it's all about.

D

Dengar

the purpose of gms2 is simple, its a new product. which simply means more profits. hopefully they don't force us to buy the new stuff by stopping support for gms1.

gnysek

Using just beta version, I've made my game so much better on so many fields thanks to layers, dragging sprites to room editor and variable_set() functions, that I would never came back to GM 1.x - it's really worth to get 2.0.

M

Misty

Does GM 2 have any lightmapping functions, or at least multitexturing functions?

Does GM 2 have menu functionality like Dark Basic, to where it is easier to make menus and guis than before? This are the prime features that interest me.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
One of the main reasons I would like to use GM2 is the ability to convert script to D&D, and vice versa. However, the bugs I have of not being able to un-attach tabs and put them on my second monitor keep me in Unity3d. Clicking outside of GM2 in my second monitor causes too many issues. I have tried everything I can think of, and yes I turned this in as a bug. I really like the new GM2 though. It's nice to be able to use script or D&D.
You cannot convert GML to DnD. There's no meta data for the blocks once it's just GML.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Layers and tiles are two amazing new additions. (Yeah, tiles are an addition to me. 1.4 tiles are simply terrible)