Help me purchase the program...

T

trollface666

I'm confused how I should purchase the game.

I just want access to GM2 and GM, but confused how to do it.

Tell me exactly what how I should go about buying the right options. I was looking to get the 200 buck version of GM, but then I saw there was a version 2 beta, which I want also.

Help me :)

rIKmAN

I'm confused how I should purchase the game.

I just want access to GM2 and GM, but confused how to do it.

Tell me exactly what how I should go about buying the right options. I was looking to get the 200 buck version of GM, but then I saw there was a version 2 beta, which I want also.

Help me :)
There is a massive headline with a link at the top of every forum page that says "Purchase GameMaker Studio 2 today for immediate access to the full Desktop beta. Full details."

Read that and follow the links.

If you want to get GMS1 as well, make sure to purchase it before you get GMS2, as you will then qualify for a 40% discount on GMS2 when you purchase through your YoYo account (with GMS1 linked to that account).

T

trollface666

Thank you for the help.

Is GM2 Beta a full version, like GM, or is it an actual Beta where things don't work, etc? I've been in this rodeo with programs many times before, and been lied to / burned in the past to just throw money around on the wrong version.

I don't want to buy GM2 Beta, but then ending up buying GM1 anyway and ignoring GM2 because I can't make a game in GM2 Beta.

C

CedSharp

There is a massive headline with a link at the top of every forum page that says "Purchase GameMaker Studio 2 today for immediate access to the full Desktop beta. Full details."

Read that and follow the links.

If you want to get GMS1 as well, make sure to purchase it before you get GMS2, as you will then qualify for a 40% discount on GMS2 when you purchase through your YoYo account (with GMS1 linked to that account).
I think it's actually worth buying GMS2 because it comes with a free licence of GMS1.4 ;)

Paying 150$ to get GMS1.4 Pro to then get GMS2 at 60$ means a total of 210$.
OR
Paying 100$ for GMS2 and getting GMS1.4 free :p

EDIT
oh, I just saw that is says "once out of beta", so it doesn't currently apply :/

T

trollface666

Oh..... but that still sounds good....

For people using the Beta product, is it a complete, workable thing, sort of how Gmail was in beta for 8 years but worked just fine? Or would I just end up using GM1 anyway at the moment?

Thank you for the help!

rIKmAN

EDIT
oh, I just saw that is says "once out of beta", so it doesn't currently apply :/
Yeah I almost wrote about the free licence myself, but as you said it says "once out of beta".

It's a little ambiguous in the wording - I'm not sure if that means that you get a free licence for 1.4 only if you wait to buy GMS2 when it's actually released, or that even if you buy it in beta you will get a 1.4 licence once GMS2 is released at a later date?

So I played it safe :)

Oh..... but that still sounds good....

For people using the Beta product, is it a complete, workable thing, sort of how Gmail was in beta for 8 years but worked just fine? Or would I just end up using GM1 anyway at the moment?

Thank you for the help!
If you just want to develop for Windows/Mac/Linux then it's a usable product - there are still bugs and quirks as is expected in a product that is in beta. Have a read of the GMS2 forum for an idea of the experiences of other beta users to give you an idea of what to expect.

If you are looking to target any other platforms (Android / iOS etc) then GMS2 won't have the exports for these targets until Q1 2017 and that is the planned "beta" release for the exports, so again there might be bugs and teething problems in the beta exports.

The roadmap for GMS2 is here which outlines rough plans for the release of various GMS2 components.

You will get a discount for any of the exports you own in GMS1 when purchasing the same exports in GMS2, but it's really up to you as to what targets you want to export to, how much spending money you have, are you on a timescale etc.

Also note that GMS1 won't be getting any further additional functionality (there is one more update coming "soon" which adds more Spine functionality and hopefully some other stuff), but YYG have said they will be supporting it for the foreseeable future with critical fixes and updates to ensure 1.4 still works with various export targets (App store changes etc).