I miss the advanced forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

icuurd12b42

I really do. Remember the old golden days when there was an advance forum and we talked about advanced concepts and how to realize them in Game Maker? Such a place created so much intellectual wealth....

No place for the hardcore here anymore...

I

icuurd12b42

pass buffer_get_address as a double, along with the size

the dll code will be
Code:
gmexport double ZeroZeBuffer(double b,double s)
{
   char * buff = (char*)(DWORD) b;
   //or byte * if you have the type
   DWORD length = (DWORD) s;

//use the char, could use memset or memcopy. whatever floats your boat
   for(DWORD i = 0; i<length; i++)
   {
       char[i] = 0;
   }
   return 1.0; //success doing stuff
}
external define as returning a double, taking 2 params, both double...
please don't b!tch on the old school 80's style cast

Not sure how to draw the buffer to a surface. GM already has that function
buffer_set_surface()

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The advanced forum was great about 10 years ago, and only worked because there was a dedicated group of hard-core users that wanted to push GM to its limits. However over time those power users moved on and interesting discussions of a technical nature slowly died out until for the last couple of years the GMC Advanced forum was essentially a graveyard, only populated by the occasional interesting post and a LOT of confused beginners. There is absolutely no reason why you can't make a topic about anything you think interesting in the current programming forum though, and there are plenty of power users around here again (which is great to see!) who may just decide to pop in and join the discussion... :)

I

icuurd12b42

The thing was, I could look at the forum for interesting stuff. it would not be drowned by the other stuff

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You have to keep in mind, that the Advanced forum worked because the GMC was a small and tight-knit community where everyone pretty much knew the rules and what was expected... as the forum grew, and new people joined, then the Advanced forum started to become a place where everybody posted with just general questions (hey, everybody thinks their problem is an advanced one!), which defeated the purpose of the forum. Attempts to moderate this only alienated advanced users (as it required either post moderation of a minimum post count to use) but didn't curb new users from posting and so it was decided that on these forums it wasn't worth while having anymore.

So, if you can think of some way that we can ensure that the advanced forum doesn't become a simple extension of programming, and in a way that doesn't alienate a part of the member base ort come off as elitist, then I'm all ears and would love to impliment it! I learned a lot from the Advanced forums from people like GearGOD and Sinaz and Yourself, etc... and I do like the idea of an advanced forum. I just don't see how it can be done practically given the size of the forum and the constant influx of new users.

I

icuurd12b42

Well if you remember there was only a handful of experts in there, and yes they are gone now... But don't you think this forum now deserves a new generation of smarty pants? I donno, they need a place and I think it needs to be in this community.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I do actually agree with you, but I can't see any practical way that it would work. The two main problems are:

How do you define "advanced" and attract users that can actually contribute?
How do you stop or deter new users from posting their problems there without alienating them (or alienating the more advanced users)?

Those are the two main things that need to be worked out before we can consider creating such a forum...

xygthop3

Treat it like a staff forum?

The forum could be hidden form all members and only given permissions too view once existing members of the forum vote/agree that a particular member is competent and will add value to the forum. Be it via a vote of peers or because the member is showing advanced ability and is recommend by a current member of the hidden forum.

For example:
Lets say that Nocturne is the only current member, icuurd12b42 has proven his ability within existing forums and is then invited/allowed to view the forum. Now both of them can vote/agree on other members that are competent in contributing to advanced topics, next they allow FredFredrickson, then those 3 vote/agree......and the cycle continues.

I'm not sure we really need to define advanced for this purpose?, a lot of us have been around the forums for quite some time now and we know who the advanced users are and who would provided substance to advanced topics.
Call it an "Elitist group" if you wish, but if you want to have these discussions without the new users it will just need to remain a hidden topic to them.

Just a thought.

I

icuurd12b42

I guess by defining the rules clearly in a pinned topic because people tend to not notice the forum rules... And let the people who lurk the forum do the moderating.

Like: This forum is a discussion of advanced techniques and concepts used in the industry or of your own design, it is not a Q&A forum

Also the forum could be locked from creating a topic by new members if that is possible, I seem to recall xenfo has group capabilities. Interested viewers could post in existing topics. That would prevent people from creating inane topics.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The forum could be hidden form all members and only given permissions too view once existing members of the forum vote/agree that a particular member is competent and will add value to the forum. Be it via a vote of peers or because the member is showing advanced ability and is recommend by a current member of the hidden forum.
See, I HATE this idea... it smacks of elitism. The intention is good, but I don't want to be the one that tells a member" You're not good enough to be in the big boys playground", and I don't want to put any other moderator or member in that position either.

I guess by defining the rules clearly in a pinned topic because people tend to not notice the forum rules... And let the people who lerk the forum to the moderating.
This is what we had on the old GMC. We had a clear ruleset for the forum, a forum tag line that explained it too, and you had to have over 50 posts to actually use the forum... Result? Very few advanced questions ever got posted and members with over 50 posts figured that they were now advanced enough to post their topics there regardless of actual content... :(

Also the forum could be locked from creating a topic by new members if that is possible, I seem to recall xenfo has group capabilities. Interested viewers could post in existing topics. That would prevent people from creating inane topics.
Hmmm... Groups does sound like it could be a solution. Make it open to everyone, but they have to ask for the group permissions first. That way users have to consciously think about what it means and actually have read the rules before being added. This could work. It would also mean that everyone that wants to gets a chance... but also that not just anybody can post without thinking. I'll look into this some more.

HayManMarc

What stops you from creating your own group on Skype? I've done it. A small group of us regularly check in and chat about our projects and help each other out. We're not advanced programmers, but that's kinda beside the point. Advanced programmers can do it, too.
If the forum starts limiting participation to it's users, by selective groups and such, it could be quite off-putting.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If the forum starts limiting participation to it's users, by selective groups and such, it could be quite off-putting.
Yep, but if the group is open to everyone and it's simply a case of PMing admin to request access, then it should be okay... I'm not going to turn anyone down that wants access to the forum! Basically the idea is that the user has to think about what the forum means and whether they really want to participate in it. This is the best suggestion so far and the one that alienates nobody... like I said previously, I'll investigate, but if anyone can see any downsides to this approach, let me know.

T

TDSrock

I can feel for both parties here.

On on side it's great to have a group of power users and letting them do their thing. Not giving them a space that is riddled with "irrelevant content" can be frustrating. Clearly one person who fits into that group WANTS to use the GMC but feels it lacking in it's current state.

However on the other side are the other users whom such a forum might come over as elitist or they just plainly misunderstand it.

We have seen time and time again that users who make a one time account to ask one question are prevalent and that these members don't read the rules, because they don't really care. They just want their question answered and to move on. They don't intend to become a part of this community. At most they will revisited and make a sub-par post again. We have seen this over and over again.

Having a forum gated off by any restriction feels bad. Even the 50 post minimum felt awkward. What if a user who KNOWS he is a power-user but never felt like making an account creates an account? Why should this person who is competent not be able to chat in the "correct" forum location even until an arbitrary amount of posts is reached. That kind of thing doesn't solve the issue and is just frustrating to some users.(albeit probably a minority, but that is NOT a reason to alienate them)

Having the section as an opt-in section where the opt-in has no restriction besides clicking a "I have read the rules and chose to abide to them(in specific to the sub-section the group belongs too)" feels like it would have a positive effect. But what happens if someone makes a mistake? How do the mods handle those situations. That is INCREDIBLY important to define before even considering it.

Should a user ever have access from the group get revoked for ever? Or should users always after a temp-ban be able to rejoin?

Is this even possible within XenForo currently? If not what are alternatives that look similar to this?(Keep in mind that solutions should either be automated or crowd-powered putting all the weight here on the mods seems like a bad idea to me).

And of-course there will always be the discussion of whether or not it is worth the effort to set-up. Are there enough users on that high enough level to properly answer and discus regarding the high-level topics? There is no real way to know besides implementing it or holding some sort of competition that forces the use of high-level stuff and then seeing who comes out of the woodwork's.

If the mods feel like it's worth testing this then I am all for that. It's always nice to have some separation when the content is truly on a different level and moving to a different medium just feels like a poor solution(and still somewhat "elitist" as the group will be a closed group where the only way to join it is by requesting it of a current member(in the case of a Skype chat, even if it's as simple as "ask = join"))

Last edited by a moderator:
I

icuurd12b42

What stops you from creating your own group on Skype? I've done it. A small group of us regularly check in and chat about our projects and help each other out. We're not advanced programmers, but that's kinda beside the point. Advanced programmers can do it, too.
Just my two cents.
That just as elitist as having a hidden forum. And I'm already in 2 slack group :)

The old forum was seen by all and elevated members' intellect with interesting concepts. Point being here is a bigger audience than anywhere else, your cool concepts could enlighten many instead of a few. And frankly the forum needs a few elevated minds.

That forum allowed us to know what each member was capable of which was a great help overall to the community. That's the place where all the people Nocturn named were made familiar to all.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Having the section as an opt-in section where the opt-in has no restriction besides clicking a "I have read the rules and chose to abide to them(in specific to the sub-section the group belongs too)" feels like it would have a positive effect. But what happens if someone makes a mistake? How do the mods handle those situations. That is INCREDIBLY important to define before even considering it.
From a moderation point of view, if someone is posting topics like "how do I set the speed for a bullet" or something similar, then the staff would simply move the topic to the regular programming forum and PM the user to let them know why (in a friendly manner of course). If they do this more than a few times after having been advised that their issues don't fit that forum, then yes, their group access could be revoked, but I would suspect that this wouldn't really happen very often... Basically, a common sense approach is what we'd take to things. :)

And of-course there will always be the discussion of whether or not it is worth the effort to set-up. Are there enough users on that high enough level to properly answer and discus regarding the high-level topics? There is no real way to know besides implementing it or holding some sort of competition that forces the use of high-level stuff and then seeing who comes out of the woodwork's.
Setting it up is really not much effort, so I have no issue with doing it. If we set up the forum and it doesn't get the traffic that YYG thinks it should, then we merge it with the Programming forum and that's that.... Of course, this topic is a good place to gauge interest and we'll see how many people comment favourably here.

xygthop3

See, I HATE this idea... it smacks of elitism. The intention is good, but I don't want to be the one that tells a member" You're not good enough to be in the big boys playground", and I don't want to put any other moderator or member in that position either.
Please take my opinions with lightheartedness.

There is a hidden staff forum right, which only staff are allow to view/post? I'm sure there is, and it's there for a specific members and a specific purpose.
Do members treat the staff and that forum as a group of elitist? I highly doubt it, it would be a rare occurrence.
Will the staff forum ever be visible to all users? No way.

Would a hidden advanced topic really be any different?
It will be there for specific members and a specific purpose.
Majority of members wouldn't even know it existed, how would they feel alienated.

It would never be visible to all users.

HayManMarc

Problem with hiding it is guys like me wouldn't have a chance to possibly learn from it. If it exists, it should be available to view and read, at least.
Personally, I never had a problem with the Adv. Programming forum in the old forum. In fact, I like the idea of it. I never posted there (or hardly, at least) because I don't feel I'm advanced. But I did check in from time to time in an effort to try to learn, or at least attempt to introduce myself to higher level programming.
I just hate to see it become some kind of "high-school" popularity club type of thing, if you get my meaning. Sorry, it just makes me a little apprehensive and got my defenses up. :p

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Problem with hiding it is guys like me wouldn't have a chance to possibly learn from it. If it exists, it should be available to view and read, at least.
Exactly. Any new forum will have to be visible to everyone.

(and likening my super secret mod forums - and there are forums even the mods are not privy too... ;) - to the Advanced forum is wrong, since the mods forum IS for an elitist group... the mods are not "regular" members and have powers and rules that are distinct to the rest of the forum. There is no bad feeling about it because everyone accepts that the forum needs staff and that the staff need somewhere to discuss sensitive issues).

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I liked the idea of the Advanced forum, but it simply didn't work in practice. Somewhere around 90-95% of posts didn't belong there, and the ones that did were about so advanced stuff only a handful of people could contribute meaningfully to them (which didn't stop others from posting stuff in them - I remember a case of a topic about the theory of machine learning that got hijacked by noob questions about simple TDS AI several times). There's simply no way to have the forum be both 'elite' and 'open' at the same time without way too much moderation.

Llama_Code

I think the roles option is the best, because at the very least the forum should be open for everyone to read and learn from, even if they can't post in it. Advanced is something hard to define sometimes and can have different meaning to different people, so some sort of post restriction would need to exist, and I think your right, having to ask for posting permission might make them think about it a little more.

I have been using GM since version 4, and have made lots of games, but I don't really see myself as an advanced user. I know the program well, and can do most common things with it, but I know I still have a lot to learn to, and there are great resources here. A place to let them shine would be good. I mean, I would never post there but I would definitely read it!

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Well...I'm putting my vote in for an "Advanced" forum. I like the idea, and I remember it on the older forums off and on. I think that now more than ever it is a good idea, as Yoyo is attempting to target "higher-end" customers along with the "hobbyists" and I'm sure plenty of the hopeful new customers would want somewhere to discuss advanced topics.

Honestly, I don't think traffic should be a deciding factor. Is there an actual cost to having a sub-section that doesn't have tons of posts coming in? I understand that there is an issue moderating it, people hijacking threads, or simply putting non-advanced topics there. But it seems like people are afraid of having forum areas where there is little to no traffic, and I'm not exactly sure why that is(Maybe someone can enlighten me). On the other hand, having an advanced section with a select few advanced topics, as in there are few enough that they don't get shot of the page within a few days...I think someone investigating will believe how powerful GMS actually is. Right now, the forum doesn't really show much of that, at least not all in one place. I see it the same way as a 3d sub-forum. The random person looking at the GMC right now doesn't see much as far as 3d or advanced topics, because though said topics DO exist, they are quite spread out, and get pushed of the front page with all the "novice" questions coming in. However, a nice 3d subsection means that there is at least a slim amount of 3d capability in the engine, and in fact if someone wants to know what people are working on in 3d, and possibly what issues they are running into, what workarounds they have to do, etc... a forum could be the best place for that research, as that is where questions, issues, and workarounds would actively be discussed.

The same applies to the advanced topic forum. Things like destructible terrain could be discussed there(and have in the past I'm sure many of us remember). Looking once again from the point of view of a potential "high-end" customer, as it stands now, I don't see much really advanced usage of the software here on the forums. I would never guess at the kinds of advanced things it can do. But if I were to run across an advanced forum, with topics like destructible terrain, sophisticated AI, and other things that would fit, it would queue me in to the fact that GMS is much more capable than what many people would think. Look at it from that point of view.

Basically, I see it as something that benefits everybody in both short and long term. We get somewhere to discuss our topics, yoyo (in theory) could end up with more customers, especially if after there are some nice advanced topics, they could link to the subforum somewhere on the website in the features, like a "see what it can do" kind of thing. And then us users hopefully get benefit there as well in that the more customers Yoyo gets, the better they can make the software. Sure, some of this is theory, long-shot, whatever, but really, if a way to work around the moderating issues can be found, either by simply moving topics out, deleting posts that don't fit, or if you somehow only allowed the "elite" posters to post(but you have to allow everybody to view at the least), then I don't see what we can lose by having said sub-forum. And lack of traffic isn't really a valid excuse in my opinion, nor the possibility of "clutter" in the table of contents/sub-forums. You can always have sub-forums that don't clutter things up on the primary pages.

One solution would be have an advanced forum but don't allow new topics in it. Simply have members use a prefix for advanced and mods could move the topic to the advanced forum if it qualifies. That way you don't have topics based on status of member but based on quality of topic. It would be some work for mods to control that but you don't cut people that way. Topics that don't belong in advanced won't be a problem.

Another solution is to follow the same methods as the tutorial section. Topics require approval before they are made visible. Mods could move topics that don't qualify over to standard QA forums so members can still get help.

Both of these solutions don't single users out based on status.

To make it easier on mods, members that have topics in the advanced forum could be given a role so they don't need approval but roles shouldn't be shown on that user's profile or anything to promote elitism.

As far as quality of posts in a topic, I don't really have an answer for that. Roles could play a role in that but then you cut people out.

Just some thoughts.

PNelly

From a moderation point of view, if someone is posting topics like "how do I set the speed for a bullet" or something similar, then the staff would simply move the topic to the regular programming forum and PM the user to let them know why (in a friendly manner of course). If they do this more than a few times after having been advised that their issues don't fit that forum, then yes, their group access could be revoked, but I would suspect that this wouldn't really happen very often... Basically, a common sense approach is what we'd take to things. :)

Setting it up is really not much effort, so I have no issue with doing it. If we set up the forum and it doesn't get the traffic that YYG thinks it should, then we merge it with the Programming forum and that's that.... Of course, this topic is a good place to gauge interest and we'll see how many people comment favourably here.
I would love to see an advanced forum again. Made for great and interesting reading on the old GMC. I was exposed to all sorts of new ideas by running into them on accident there. It's an excellent learning tool for interested readers, refreshing for the more experienced users, and a great place for those same users to feed off one another's energy.

Chaser

I'm a novice user, I wouldn't feel alienated if I wasn't able to post in an "advanced" thread, if anything I would understand, and appreciate an "elitist" thread where the real advanced users can come together without unnecessary question posting from new or medium users. Why not have a hidden thread, you can always lock the thread and release it openly so it could be read later, on a monthly a whatever basis, I think it's great, will give some of us an incentive to strive towards, being part of an elite team of gamemaker greats/legends.
The way I see it is this, I can go and watch my favourite football team, I can even go and watch them train, but they ain't going to let me in the dressing when there's a team talk, I'm ok with that, I'm sure the others will be too and have that respect for the advanced users.

Whilst I'm here, how do I assign a Sprite to an object?.............
Hahahahahahahahah, just kidding!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I've never seen the point of this forum, everyone at some time thinks their topic is advanced, and it's usually not - but then this is all a matter of perspective. To me, most topics aren't, to others all topics might be. Where do you draw the line, and who judges? I much prefer having them all mixed in together, after all...

I also think it helps to keep more advanced users looking over normal topics. If there were a separate forum many users would only hang out in there, and the community would lose the benefit of their knowledge in lesser forums.

E

EternallyIgnorant

Treat it like a staff forum?

For example:
Lets say that Nocturne is the only current member, icuurd12b42 has proven his ability within existing forums and is then invited/allowed to view the forum. Now both of them can vote/agree on other members that are competent in contributing to advanced topics, next they allow FredFredrickson, then those 3 vote/agree......and the cycle continues.

I'm not sure we really need to define advanced for this purpose?, a lot of us have been around the forums for quite some time now and we know who the advanced users are and who would provided substance to advanced topics.
Call it an "Elitist group" if you wish, but if you want to have these discussions without the new users it will just need to remain a hidden topic to them.

Just a thought.

How do you know this doesn't already exist and you just haven't been voted in yet? :)

S

Sylveax

One solution would be have an advanced forum but don't allow new topics in it. Simply have members use a prefix for advanced and mods could move the topic to the advanced forum if it qualifies. That way you don't have topics based on status of member but based on quality of topic. It would be some work for mods to control that but you don't cut people that way. Topics that don't belong in advanced won't be a problem.

Another solution is to follow the same methods as the tutorial section. Topics require approval before they are made visible. Mods could move topics that don't qualify over to standard QA forums so members can still get help.

Both of these solutions don't single users out based on status.

To make it easier on mods, members that have topics in the advanced forum could be given a role so they don't need approval but roles shouldn't be shown on that user's profile or anything to promote elitism.

As far as quality of posts in a topic, I don't really have an answer for that. Roles could play a role in that but then you cut people out.

Just some thoughts.
Not that I have any authority here, but if I had I would probably go with the Tutorial-like solution. Hope @Nocturne sees it and does something about it :D

Juju

A small group of us regularly check in and chat about our projects and help each other out.
You should join the Slack group that icuurd mentioned. Not at all hostile for newbies, but we do make an effort to cater for higher-level chatter. Very occasionally, GearGOD does indeed drop by.

w.r.t. suggestions - There are solutions here but they require a lot of moderation, and some subjectivity on behalf of the mods as well. Can you imagine anything worse than an arrogant know-it-all being told their topic on XYZ isn't advanced enough? Not pretty. Not sure I'd want to volunteer for that job. Also adds extra workload.

So, if you can think of some way that we can ensure that the advanced forum doesn't become a simple extension of programming
That's easy. Just bring it back with a better name. "Advanced" was to vague. Call it "Expert Discussion - for those who have used GM for thousands of hours!" or something. Something that actually makes it obvious what the subforum is for.

LOL... like this is ANY guarantee of how good you are :D
Too true, of course, haha! It'll give people who've been using GM for a week the hint that how to add gravity to their first platformer isn't an "expert" question though; Like you said, "advanced" means something different to everyone - what's advanced programming to someone who's been using GM for a month would be a joke to most users here. What's advanced to most users here might be a joke to you and other professionals. Anyone with any self awareness knows whether or not they're an "expert" or "professional" at something though, or will at least take a longer look at other topics in the forum to check what the average topic there looks like. Just my two cents - I really think most of the misplaced posts in the old advanced forums were because of the vague name.

I

icuurd12b42

The old advanced forum was a place where one would discuss how to do something thought not possible in GML or how to implement ideas not in the language.

Such concepts as quadtree, octree, log search for ray tracing, neural net implementation and so on. Sure some people would come and ask a question in there once in a while because they thought the question was hard and so advanced.... They would simply be told to go ask in the right spot.

RujiK

I also think [not having advanced forum] helps to keep more advanced users looking over normal topics. If there were a separate forum many users would only hang out in there
I don't check the Q&A forum at all anymore for this reason. I used to check the advanced forum almost every day and, even though it was pretty quiet, I liked that it was small. It felt like a community.

Even if some of the advanced forum was "newbie trash" the majority would shine through. I'd still enjoy it. The current Q&A has so many newbie questions it's not worth my time sifting through it. (That may be self-centered, but I get no gratification from explaining how to double jump.)

See, I HATE this idea... it smacks of elitism. The intention is good, but I don't want to be the one that tells a member" You're not good enough to be in the big boys playground"
As long as it's done politely, what's the issue? Novice users usually aren't advanced, why pretend they are? Is it elitism to tell a cocky middle-schooler he isn't ready to play college football/The big boys?

If the reason we don't have an advanced group is because some people are too stupid for it, that's like banning all movies since some people are blind.

A

Ampersand

Well if you remember there was only a handful of experts in there, and yes they are gone now... But don't you think this forum now deserves a new generation of smarty pants? I donno, they need a place and I think it needs to be in this community.
smarty helped me learn so much. shortguy too. I would not have the methods of problem solving I have now without them.

I honestly think this is a matter of the advanced users here talking about advanced topics. I'd love to have some intellectual brainstorming in different subjects. Maybe I'll make a nice example of my platforming pathfinding these next few days with some example images and we can all discuss alternative techniques or what I could do better.

S

Sandro

I've never seen the point of this forum, everyone at some time thinks their topic is advanced, and it's usually not - but then this is all a matter of perspective. To me, most topics aren't, to others all topics might be. Where do you draw the line, and who judges? I much prefer having them all mixed in together, after all...
An Advanced topic is one witch require a great deal of complex code, ie. not one which can solved with a few built-in functions. Such as writing an interpreter, advanced AI(like for an RTS), path-finding, custom UDP networking, encryption/security, most 3D rendering, ect. A person that dose not know if their topic is advanced, is not advanced.

These problems take time to answer, even for an experienced user, and may be active discussions for quit so time. It's very important they don't get lost in the flood of easily answered questions, since 1) very few people can answer them, and 2) those answers may not be posted anytime soon.

I also think it helps to keep more advanced users looking over normal topics. If there were a separate forum many users would only hang out in there, and the community would lose the benefit of their knowledge in lesser forums.
Some people get board answering the same questions over and over. And some people have an hour to kill, and will just answer all the question on the first page of the novice forums in that time (That's what I did when I was active back in the days of GM5 and 6).

Also I think having a Moderator approve people to post in the advanced forums is the way to go. Everybody should be able to read those topics tho, as it's 1) great advice, and 2) give people a baseline for what "advanced" really means before requesting post rights.

E

Ethanicus

I'd have to disagree on the "everyone thinks it's advanced" point. Most people come here and are all "Oh, I'm such a noob, how do I do [ridiculously complicated thing]?" I'd think if anything we'd end up having the issue of folks NOT posting in the Advanced forum.

EDIT: I do like the PM idea, it's enough effort to seek and PM a mod that you know they aren't gonna do it lazily.

Last edited:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Hey, I don't suppose you know how to pass a buffer to an external dll do you? I want to pass a buffer to a dll, draw to it, pass it back, and set it as a surface. I want the dll to be able to draw to a surface.
To pass a buffer to the DLL, you would set up the function to accept a string (which is a pointer type), and cast it back to void*/etc. if you need to:
Code:
#define dllx extern "C" __declspec(dllexport)
// ...
dllx double clearbuf(char* cbuf, double len) {
    memset((void*)cbuf, 0, (size_t)len);
    return true;
}
To draw stuff from a DLL, you would do
Code:
#include <d3d9.h>
// ...
dllx double dostuff(char* cdevice) {
    LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 device = (LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9)cdevice;
    // do things with "device" as per DX doc
}
but it'll usually require some additional figuring out (what flushes the pipeline, where do drawn graphics end up, and so on).

pass buffer_get_address as a double, along with the size

the dll code will be
Code:
gmexport double ZeroZeBuffer(double b,double s)
{
   char * buff = (char*)(DWORD) b;
   //or byte * if you have the type
   DWORD length = (DWORD) s;

//use the char, could use memset or memcopy. whatever floats your boat
   for(DWORD i = 0; i<length; i++)
   {
       char[i] = 0;
   }
   return 1.0; //success doing stuff
}
external define as returning a double, taking 2 params, both double...
please don't b!tch on the old school 80's style cast

Not sure how to draw the buffer to a surface. GM already has that function
buffer_set_surface()
This is a dangerous thing to do, considering that extensions on some platforms work in x86_64 mode. I've once spent a good hour figuring out why my Steam API extension would sometimes segfault the game on Ubuntu YYC, only to find that it's running in 64-bit mode, and casting addresses to double and back means loosing the less-significant bits in the address.

I

icuurd12b42

Yeah, I'm assuming windows 32 bit... does studio still have the limit of 4 args for external define if one of them is a string?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Yeah, I'm assuming windows 32 bit... does studio still have the limit of 4 args for external define if one of them is a string?
As far as I know, yes. I usually make a wrapper script (with extra calls to set up arguments) anyway, since asking the user to not forget to pass buffer_get_address instead of the buffer itself does not always work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.