• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

2D platformer with RPG elements and definite programmer art (UPDATED LINK)

M

Matt93

I've been learning GML for over a year now, and this is a platformer I've been making. I've got three levels so far, but I need to put some art into levels 2 and 3 (as some parts still have the standard block sprites). I haven't put all enemies or coins in yet either, so some levels might look a bit sparse.

I just wanted to share and see what you think of it so far? I've spent most time polishing up code/getting rid of bugs. Any feedback on level design/ art/ difficulty/ the general game would be great. It's very much a work in progress, but I hope you enjoy it.

Download link (EXE)

Screenshots:
Screenshot 2016-06-29 17.12.40.png

Screenshot 2016-06-29 17.14.14.png
Screenshot 2016-06-29 17.14.42.png

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheUltimate

I'll give it a try if you upload an exe version of the game instead of an installer.

T

TheUltimate

No problem. But unfortunately it links to a 404 page now...

T

TheUltimate

Sorry for the long wait, I haven't been online all week.

The level design is about what I expected: Run, jump, and land on douchebags. The first level and start of the second level are good and the short quest with the book was a nice addition. After that, there's a few too many bottomless pits for my liking, especially this early in the game, but I understand it's still in progress.

The art is, as you said in your post, definite programmer art. It's not the greatest, but it's generally clear and easy to tell things apart. The two things I'd change is to give the bouncy blocks and normal blocks different sprites, and to have something less ambiguous than a black square for checkpoints and the end of level goal.

Other points:
  • The view isn't centred exactly on the player. I have to move forwards a bit before it starts following.
  • There isn't enough dialogue to tell if you were making a parody or being serious with the feminism theme so you might wanna make that clearer. I'd assume it's a parody.
  • I'd recommend clearing checkpoints at the level's end. Dying resets to a checkpoint in the previous level instead of the start of the current level.
  • I was really hoping for more Pokemon style battles. Do you plan to make more or was it a one time intro?
Overall it's a decent start!

M

Matt93

Sorry for the long wait, I haven't been online all week.

The level design is about what I expected: Run, jump, and land on douchebags. The first level and start of the second level are good and the short quest with the book was a nice addition. After that, there's a few too many bottomless pits for my liking, especially this early in the game, but I understand it's still in progress.

The art is, as you said in your post, definite programmer art. It's not the greatest, but it's generally clear and easy to tell things apart. The two things I'd change is to give the bouncy blocks and normal blocks different sprites, and to have something less ambiguous than a black square for checkpoints and the end of level goal.

Other points:
  • The view isn't centred exactly on the player. I have to move forwards a bit before it starts following.
  • There isn't enough dialogue to tell if you were making a parody or being serious with the feminism theme so you might wanna make that clearer. I'd assume it's a parody.
  • I'd recommend clearing checkpoints at the level's end. Dying resets to a checkpoint in the previous level instead of the start of the current level.
  • I was really hoping for more Pokemon style battles. Do you plan to make more or was it a one time intro?
Overall it's a decent start!
Thank you so much for playing it, and sorry for my slow reply. I've been away from here for a little while. I'll definitely take your feedback on board, especially in terms of centring the view properly, checkpoints and making blocks a bit clearer. I originally set it up to be a platform rpg, where running into an enemy would trigger a Pokemon style battle. I may work on integrating more of these, as it could give scope for levelling up as well. Do you want me to play your game, since you took a look at mine?

T

TheUltimate

Glad I could help.

If you're keeping the level design I suggest saving the Pokemon battles for special stuff like bosses or story-advancing events. There are lots of normal enemies in the game and it might get old if there's 15 battles per level.

Thanks for the offer! The link's in my signature.