What's this piano called?

Ok, I am trying to find sounds from this kind of piano (used in the 1700's). But I don't know what it's called. Searching for just piano on sfx-sites just gives me regular piano sounds. Not what I want.

Anyway, here's the instrument:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Ok, sounds almost the same.
Yeah, harpsichords and clavichords sound similar. Mostly because each note is actually two strings. But harpsichord strings are "plucked" when a key is pressed. So there's a little difference in sound to the trained ear. (Can't really tell the difference myself.)

That video sounds more like a piano with some post-processing, or maybe a real-time electronic effect. Not actually a Baroque instrument. But that's just a guess.

EDIT: you might be able to re-produce that sound from an original piano song. Just make two copies of the original piece, and shift one by (say) 10 milliseconds. And maybe shift the pitch up/down by a tiny amount. Like one-eighth of an interval. That might create the two-string effect.

Might try this with Audacity.

Last edited:

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I'm a piano, harpsichord and organ player myself, I often play Fugues by Bach on those instruments, as said before, what you're seeing in that vid is a harpsichord, but it sounds too perfect to be a real one, so it sounds more like a VST (virtual instrument / sample) to me, made with MIDI/synthesizers.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I'm a piano, harpsichord and organ player myself, I often play Fugues by Bach on those instruments (snip)
Just curious... do you own a harpsichord? Or have easy access to one? They aren't that common anymore, as far as I know. Although I suppose you can buy reproductions.

Ever tried playing modern stuff on a harpsichord? Curious what Jerry Lee Lewis would sound like. Actually... he might break it.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I own a "harmonium" in my house, which is a smaller organ, which works on air that I pedal.
I also have access to the church organ of my city church, the story behind this is really funny, once I went into the big church when it was very late, and there was no one, I saw on the floor a small harmonium there so played on it, then the priest heard me and let me play on the big church organ, and I can play on it when I want!

But for harpsichords, yes, I know where three of them are. One of them is in my high school (classical music + normal courses high school), and two of them are in the classical keyboard center in Ghent (city close to me), where I go often, and at the end of this schoolyear (around June) I will go there and rent a piano room, and record (video+audio) 10+ classical piano pieces and put them on YT. But yeah, there's also two harpsichords there.

And YES! It's really really funny to try and play Chopin/Rachmaninoff, or Video Game music on it, it's really gay to do!