Design Gambling Game Idea

Hey everyone. I've been using GML for a few years now and am considering making a gambling game. It would involve people paying real money in exchange for in-game currency and then at some later point the player would be able to exchange the in-game currency for real money. Would this be safely possible with the IAP functionality that GML provides? And if so, how? Thanks in advance.

GMWolf

aka fel666
<the EULA quote>
Should have read it yourself first ;)
This coming from playtech? Ha!

Though there are many loopholes to get around that.
You can disguise your gambling, by adding a number of intermediary steps and abstractions and make it so that you cannot exchange the currency for real money, but instead for some paid consumable. (Think Plex in eve online).
You have to be careful though; better get a lawyer!
Though I would say you are better of just contacting YYG, probably purchasing a special license, and getting a gambling license from whatever authorities opress you ^^

Last edited:

NightFrost

Also, gambling is a regulated activity in many places. And at least over here, in case of digital gambling software, there are certain minimum requirements to the randomness of your rng() functionality.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
and then at some later point the player would be able to exchange the in-game currency for real money.
This feels like a kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda dangerous step - you need to make sure players can't just hack their game (or your servers) and add lots of in-game currency. Most games that have currency exchange never lets you cash in premium currency back for real money just to avoid exploits like that.

This feels like a kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda dangerous step - you need to make sure players can't just hack their game (or your servers) and add lots of in-game currency. Most games that have currency exchange never lets you cash in premium currency back for real money just to avoid exploits like that.
Yeah, I'm aware of the exploits. I would have to make sure the servers are constantly checking the clients and making sure nothing seems out of line. And what would be an example of something people would gamble for opposed to real money?

Last edited:
This coming from playtech? Ha!

Though there are many loopholes to get around that.
You can disguise your gambling, by adding a number of intermediary steps and abstractions and make it so that you cannot exchange the currency for real money, but instead for some paid consumable. (Think Plex in eve online).
You have to be careful though; better get a lawyer!
Though I would say you are better of just contacting YYG, probably purchasing a special license, and getting a gambling license from whatever authorities opress you ^^
Thank you. You offered the most helpful feedback. From the EULA, it seems I just need a specific license from YoYo, work with the laws regarding rng, and then make sure no one can hack the system.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Thank you. You offered the most helpful feedback. From the EULA, it seems I just need a specific license from YoYo, work with the laws regarding rng, and then make sure no one can hack the system.
By the way, using your own random number generator might also make the system more safe (and not just more fair) - if you use the default RNG, anyone with access to the same version of Studio could theoretically be able to predict random numbers.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Would this be safely possible with the IAP functionality that GML provides?
Yes it is probably safe to use those IAP functions. Just make sure whatever you do on your end is safe as well.

Note that I don't think any of the IAP systems allow for converting in game currency to money, so you will have to figure that out yourself.

GMWolf

aka fel666
You can store the amount in a MySQL Database and pay their money from your account and subtract their points, For example he pays $5.00 for 5DGC* so you get the money and give him 5DGC*, The same way you do this but in the opposite direction(You->Him) but this time from your account to his account and you subtract the amount of points, For example he withdraw 5DGC* you just subtract 5DGC* from his game account and pay him $5.00. Almost all this process can be done using PHP&MySQL and PayPal APIs.

*DGC = Digital Game Currency
Hardly secure, but yeah, basically.

GMWolf

aka fel666
The only unsecured part is the MySQL database, If it got hacked then almost everything is lost, It can be more secured with Strict Password and heavy encryption, about the payment transactions it is completely secured because the whole transaction-flow is going to be at PayPal website.
Also you may want to have more than a simple table to hold money.
You will have to keep track of transactions, etc.

F

FabioF

Your first truly problem is to set a very good anti fraud match system. First of all you must guarantee that players can trust in the final result of game sessions, to do that, you need a third party trusted society that confirms and convalidates the scores. In italy there is the AAMS that checks every result of gambling bets, and works as man in the middle between clients and betting platforms. Even if you think that a 3D party is useless, you should make a system recording every frame of every game sessions, to use them as proof of regularity, sending the data in a very strong Database (NoSql preferably) under ssl protocol communication. All of these things, just for starting to talk about a serious gambling platform.