• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

The code editor is missing pro hotkeys combinations

- Ctrl+D to duplicate a selection or an entire row without selecting (using the cursor position): it's highly quickest than ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Please see Sublime text or similar editors for this behavior

- Ctrl+Shift+D (pratically the multi-editing): when something is highlighted and you press this combination, the editor will highlight the next selection which is equal to the first selection. Also you should edit all at the same time, obviously. All modern editors do that and improve your productivness

- Ctrl+Shift+ArrowUp or ArrowDown: Swap (invert) two or more rows up/down

- Selection dragging around with the mouse

Last edited:

cidwel

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

YoYo is creating a really GREAT new version with the IDE overhaul but...

This should be a must in every new created code editor. I even created this functionality in no more than 8 hours in my first attempts to create an alternative GM editor using AvalonEdit. It shouldn't be so hard to give users a modern text editor. Even parakeet 2 had a really good text editor for GML!

Please yoyo, make GameMaker code editor useful so we do not miss any basic functionality of the new era text editors

gnysek

Ctrl+E to release current/highlighted lines.

btw. what is selection dragging around mouse? you talk about Alt+drag? it's already there

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I've never...ever used any of those hot keys, and I have mouse dragging text with a passion.

Ctrl+E to release current/highlighted lines.
Not finding any utility for this. Use the keyboard arrows or mouse maybe?

btw. what is selection dragging around mouse? you talk about Alt+drag? it's already there
Do not seems to work. However this feature is not really important

I've never...ever used any of those hot keys, and I have mouse dragging text with a passion.
I feed bad of that! They are really useful :D

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think mike means that he hates mouse dragging with a passion....

I've used hundreds of "Pro" text editors and every one has little quirks that are either love them or hate them... we will be adding more features over time and there may even be different drop in key sets (one of our programmers loves vi) and key redefinition will be coming as well.

BTW comment / uncomment is already in there... CTRL+K, CTRL+SHIFT+K (I think...)

Russell

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I guess the only way to please everyone is to have all hotkey combinations be remappable, and then try to add possible hotkey-able actions for every completely new thing people suggest that is feasible.

Also, "all pro editors does that"... that's two weasel words in the same sentence. Citation needed. :p

breakmt

I agree with topic starter, we need more hotkeys. I came after Intellij IDEA and miss some keys very much.
CTRL+K, CTRL+SHIFT+K (I think...)
Why not Ctrl + Slash and Ctrl + Shift + Slash? :( Probably it is commonly uses somewhere, I just compare with Idea.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I agree with topic starter, we need more hotkeys. I came after Intellij IDEA and miss some keys very much.

Why not Ctrl + Slash and Ctrl + Shift + Slash? :( Probably it is commonly uses somewhere, I just compare with Idea.
K for Komment, probably? It's always nice with mnemonics. I think D and F for Draw and Fill, like in GMS' sprite editor, are much easier to remember than GIMP's "Bucket" and "Normal" for the same things :p

breakmt

K for Komment, probably? It's always nice with mnemonics. I think D and F for Draw and Fill, like in GMS' sprite editor, are much easier to remember than GIMP's "Bucket" and "Normal" for the same things :p
Totally agree about D and F! Also I'm not insist about slash insteed of K... It is just matter of habit I guess. But duplicate (Ctrl+D) and swap lines (ctrl+shift+up/down) are very handy, hope it will be added!

Hyomoto

I guess if swap lines existed I might use it here and there? I'm really not sure. I just found out I can bulk indent and de-indent lines, so I already got my wish.

H

Huder

In GMS1 we can highlight text and then hold left mouse over this and move highlighted text somewhere else. This feature is in every text editor that i know but here is missing?
I need this because i was using this feature on my entire life and i can't work without it :(

Jobo

GMC Elder
GMS2 already has all of this functionality - just not on the shortcuts you're accustomed to.

CTRL+D: Place caret at the start of a line (click on the gutter for speed) and copy/paste.
CTRL+SHIFT+D: Instead, do CTRL+F to open 'Find' (it will contain your selection) and press F3 to go to the next match.
CLTR+SHIFT+ARROW: Swapping line positions is hardly used often enough in code to validate its own shortcut..... in my opinion. Select the lines, cut them and paste them at the desired location.

gnysek

I also love that pressing Home goes to first character in line (so after all "\t" in this line), and pressing it again goes to position 0 of line. This helps reformating code.

W

WalterPease

My only gripe so far probably effects very few people. I got into the habit of always holding Shift+Enter to start a new line instead of just pressing Enter. The habit came from using line break in text editors as well as various social media/ instant messaging services where pressing Enter sends the message, while Shift+Enter starts a new line.

gnysek

It's a longer story about Enter and Shift+Enter. In some text editors, Enter starts a new "paragraph", while Shift+Enter is a "soft break", and have impact on justifying text (soft break makes line 100% width, hard break makes last line same as aligned to left).

What web editors makes is something different than it was designed for.

breakmt

GMS2 already has all of this functionality - just not on the shortcuts you're accustomed to.

CTRL+D: Place caret at the start of a line (click on the gutter for speed) and copy/paste.
CTRL+SHIFT+D: Instead, do CTRL+F to open 'Find' (it will contain your selection) and press F3 to go to the next match.
CLTR+SHIFT+ARROW: Swapping line positions is hardly used often enough in code to validate its own shortcut..... in my opinion. Select the lines, cut them and paste them at the desired location.
Hope it's not official answer, cause I totally disagree with you. "Why do you need hotkeys, you can do all by hand" and "I don't use it - noone use it" - no good at all.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Hope it's not official answer, cause I totally disagree with you. "Why do you need hotkeys, you can do all by hand" and "I don't use it - noone use it" - no good at all.
Disclaimer 0: All my opinions are belong to me
Yeah, he's having a disclaimer about his posts being unofficial. Tongue-in-cheek, but there.

cidwel

Also, "all pro editors does that"... that's two weasel words in the same sentence. Citation needed. :p
Pro editors that have multiple selection
- Every JetBrains based IDE (webstorm, android studio, pycharm, intel idea etc...)
- Sublime text
- Visual studio Code
- Atom
- Notepad++ via plugin
- Visual studio via plugin (since this is natively on "visual studio:code" it will be added on Studio in next releases)
- Vim
- Eclipse via plugin channel
- Parakeet 2 ide

Editors that does NOT have multiple word selecting
- Notepad
- Wordpad
- Windows sticky notes editor
- GameMaker Studio 2 beta :^P

Seriously, althought it could be frigthening when a dev starts using them, I do not know a simple coder that stopped using these bindings when they learnt them and even find pretty dissapointing not having these tools in any new created code editor. As I stated I created this kind of functionality in an editor I was creating as an alternative GM editor and it was pretty easy to implement. The usefulness of this is astonishing

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It's a good thing you're making GMS2 for yourself instead of your customers, th-
Oh, wait. :p
Actually.... mock if you like, but of course I'm making it for myself - at least partly. I'm a big user of the tool, and as such I have a good understanding of what works and doesn't. What? Want someone who doesn't actually use the thing to design and build it? Then you end up with the room editor from GM7. Tools are at their worst when they are built by those who don't use them, and only guess at things you'll need or like.

So sure... I'm building it for myself, but if I wasn't open to new ideas/concepts then this beta forum wouldn't be here.

But I've also got to balance the things we need to do, with the things we - and others, would like us to do. Currently there's a lot more than needs to be done, than the things we#d just "like" to do. Every little feature needs writing and testing, and maintenance. I'd happily add everything everyone ever wanted if it took no time to do, and had zero maintenance. Of course I would - but it doesn't.

cidwel

Tools are at their worst when they are built by those who don't use them, and only guess at things you'll need or like.
Seriously, this doesn't have anything to do with a tool for a thing the UI should manage. He's just asking for a simple thing that any editor since 2013 must have.

I am also pretty aware that if you are creating a tool for everyone, it isn't really bad that you put the essence of what you understand it should have on it. But what we are asking isn't something that would needlessly overcharge a code editor and the usefulness of these commands is great for devs nowaday.

Maybe could be really great that, when gms2 becames pretty stable, add a poll for what kind of feature users would really love to have. Isn't bad at all that software of any kind resemble similarities with other ides. As an example, it is like you want to override the ctrl+a to select text to another different binding because potato. Today IDEs have pretty much in commmon like:
- Dual/multiple views
- Tab management
- Full indexed quick open
- Multiple selectors / Line swapping / Line duplicating

Check this animated demo as an example of what we would really love to have and I'm pretty sure that you would love if your IDE could do this stuff natively:
https://www.sublimetext.com/

Hope gm2:s turns the tool we really like to create videogames. You all are making a really great effort!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Seriously, this doesn't have anything to do with a tool for a thing the UI should manage. He's just asking for a simple thing that any editor since 2013 must have.
You've taken this totally out of context. He implied that making something for yourself was a bad thing, it's not.

Also.. in terms of adding requested features....

But I've also got to balance the things we need to do, with the things we - and others, would like us to do. Currently there's a lot more than needs to be done, than the things we#d just "like" to do. Every little feature needs writing and testing, and maintenance. I'd happily add everything everyone ever wanted if it took no time to do, and had zero maintenance. Of course I would - but it doesn't.
We're not an infinite resource, we can't add single thing everyone wants. Or rather.... we could, but it would take another few years before you saw another version. As it stands, other areas of the product need more attention than the code editor.

Reactions: Yal

cidwel

You've taken this totally out of context. He implied that making something for yourself was a bad thing, it's not.
..while arguing with something that any editor should have nowadays. This is not related to have some tool that helps selecting elements in the ui or for some kind of ui button that does magic and if you don't feel the need to use this tool you would never implement it. It is more related about basic hotkeys (basic as copy/pasting) that so many developers nowadays are using. And focusing it to not adding a simple common thing because you never used it sounds like the answer that this suggestion will never be created in gms2. Not at least in the incoming years that a lot of bugfixing will be made

Obvioulsy the community fully respects what the staff wants to add to "their" software, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that, if when gms2 turns pretty stable the team adds a poll for the community about what kind of improvement would love to see in gms2, this one would be probably on top