GameMaker Studio 2 game remakes #GameInADay

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
EDIT: Added JetPac stream

So over the past week, I've been doing more of my "Game In A Day" games, and now that GMS2 is out, I've been able to stream them! I've been uploading these on youtube so you can see me from start to finish get large chunks of classic games done.

If you fancy picking up the #GameInADay challenge yourself, then the idea is to remake as much as you can of an old game, in 10 hours or less in GameMaker Studio 2. Just how much can you make of an old game? It might surprise you! What used to take months, can now be done in hours!

There are currently 4 to choose from (still to finish the 4th!), and the last part of the Lemmings one is missing due to Twitch deleting the video (which sucks)

Arkanoid clone:

Manic Miner:

Lemmings:

StarQuake:

JetPac:

Last edited:
I

icuurd12b42

I love those. And glad to see I'm not the only one who suffers from them annoying typos ;)

HayManMarc

Awesome, Mike! This is exactly what I was looking for! I was recently wishing to view someone use GMS2 who was proficient with it to study the workflow and the usage of the new interface. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Roa

always the tile collisions :rolleyes:

Glad we have other retro junkies on here. I've always loved the technicalities, limitations and styles of older games. Plan to do any C64 games or are you on a spectrum run?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've been watching some of the streams, and it's kinda cool... I'm trying to pay attention and learn the secrets of coding from one of the best in the field :3

I actually think those can be a pretty good educational resource as well... showing how GMS2 is meant to be used. Once you guys get around to making official demos/example projects, maybe streaming (and recording) the process to make them could be a good compliment to the projects themselves? (Feels like it'd be more of a suggestion for @ShaunJS , so I'll be annoying and tag him~)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Once you guys get around to making official demos/example projects, maybe streaming (and recording) the process to make them could be a good compliment to the projects themselves?
The breakout game is now an official demo you can download and play with, so yeah....where I can, it'll become a proper demo.

G

Guest User

Wow awesome work...

also I'm jealous as hell you can knock a game up like that in one day, it would take me weeks ...no really lol

I

icuurd12b42

Wow awesome work...

also I'm jealous as hell you can knock a game up like that in one day, it would take me weeks ...no really lol
Yeah and notice he's focussed on the task and not trying to program "general" concepts... it makes things easier.

G

Guest User

Suggestions:-
Atari 2600 - Superman (I would PAY for that!!)
Atari 2600 - Laser Blast
ZX81 - Black Crystal
ZX81- Mazogs (ZX Spectrum Maziacs)
ZX Spectrum - Minder
ZX Spectrum - Deathchase
ZX Spectrum - Jumping Jack
C64 - Bruce Lee
C64 - Mule
C64 - Wizball
C64 - Super Pipeline 2
C64 - HERO

I

icuurd12b42

I'm doing lode runner... I'm 3 hours in, not a line of code written yet... mainly fighting the interface in the sprite editor and the room editor. you guys should try to use it at 1080p...

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Wheres the running commentary? (like everyone demanded I do!) :p

My office PC has a 1920x1080 res... the new DPI override helps :)

Last edited:
I

icuurd12b42

There's a few versions of lode runner. The level snapshots I have, I'm pretty sure is from the Apple II

I

icuurd12b42

Lode Runner Part 1

Last edited by a moderator:
I

icuurd12b42

Hmm did I get DMCA'd!??
[edit]
Nope. not sure what happened. here's the play list

Last edited by a moderator: