Dark Souls 3

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've not really been a huge fan of the Dark Souls series, but everyone that are into the series claims they're really good games... so I randomly got DS3 during its release sale. It's hard, and it took ages to get used to the controls and optimize it to run on my computer... but then I had this huge revelation.

This is a Castlevania game. And it does its job better than the real ones.
20160613162538_1.jpg
The game has this amazing effect on me where I start off being fearful for my life, proceeding very slowly and carefully one step at a time with my shield up... and then it gradually gives way as I re-thread ground and get more familiar with my surroundings; eventually I only have a feeling of calm concentration left. I KNOW I can do it. It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN, and so I face challenges with a determined, fearless smirk.

Are you into DS3? Share your experiences and stuff! :D

Roa

This is a Castlevania game. And it does its job better than the real ones.

Are you into DS3? Share your experiences and stuff! :D
This^ lol

Just wait till you get to cathedral of the deep. It screams castlevania. I even made a Simon cosplay. What settings are you running at? And if you need help, I wouldn't mind being a summon. I'm pretty decent at this game.

F

Frozen Stick

It's a great a game!It's one of those games that you pray you aren't there.
But remember to run sometimes and avoid enemies:)
DARK SOULS™ III_20160603140605.jpg For glory!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
@Roa:
Everything on the lowest settings, and screen resolution 20% lower than my normal resolution. (And the game still looks gorgeous!) The game still gets random lag sometimes, but it's usually just a negligible drop in framerate. But I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't handle online mode very well. x3

@Frozen Stick:
Yeah, I've noticed running is kinda practical, especially running past enemies when you just want to get back to where you died and dropped your souls. If you know exactly where you're going, you can get back surprisingly quickly. Going through an area the first time takes dozens of times longer than revisiting it once you know about everything.

Roa

@Roa:
Everything on the lowest settings, and screen resolution 20% lower than my normal resolution. (And the game still looks gorgeous!) The game still gets random lag sometimes, but it's usually just a negligible drop in framerate. But I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't handle online mode very well. x3
Are you on a laptop?

K

kenziee

Fun game series I own all 3, along with Bloodborne as well. Game isn't really that hard long as you have patience, and learn the enemies. I think the difficulty is a bit exaggerated even more so with 3 it feels a lot more easier then the previous games to me, and getting too mainstream now. Could also because I have played all of them so I am used to it...

Dark Souls 3 is still a lot of fun though! Gameplay in Dark Souls 3 is a lot more faster then the previous ones, has fast combat like Bloodborne.

I love how interconnected the world was in the first game :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Are you on a laptop?
Yep. (It's also a special gaming laptop with a quadcore CPU and some special GPU configuration, but I'm not really a hardware junkie - it had the best stats out of the laptops I could afford and it's by the brand my tech junkie best friend likes. So it's a good laptop, but it's probably not optimized for cutting-edge games released about a year after it was manufactured.) I don't think I'll ever be able to switch back, either... being able to use my beanbag or take the computer to bed for maximum comfort is amazing and it feels alienating to have to use a computer that's stuck in one place after getting used to this.

N

nujumkey

My laptop can barely run Dark Souls so it chuggs in some places. Still a super fun game, i love the focus on making a challenging experience

Carnivius

Haven't played any of the core Dark Souls games but got Demon's Souls on PS Plus and thought it terrible. Bought Bloodborne the other week during a PSN sale purely just cos my friend who plays it wanted me to join them for a co-op game niether of us realising how much of a pain in the butt it is to even set up such a thing (nonsense about bells and insight points) and I don't even really enjoy the game itself. Just feels very sluggish, very boring and very ugly to look at too.

Tim

Haven't played DS3 but played DS1 & 2 as well as Demon Souls 1.

Loved Demon Souls and it got me into the series. I didn't really understand or like it so I put it down only to replay it six months later. For some reason Demon Souls clicked then and I loved it. Played it to completion and when Dark Souls came out I played the heck outta that one too. Really great series and had so many interesting and well executed game ideas.

One thing I ting the early games did incredibly well was make you feel so badass as you progressed. Those first monsters were scary and could wax you pretty quick but midway through you are running past those clowns and feeling like Superman.. at least until you hit the next boss. HA!

Looking forward to DS3 and Bloodborne.

-Tim

N

nujumkey

One thing I ting the early games did incredibly well was make you feel so badass as you progressed. Those first monsters were scary and could wax you pretty quick but midway through you are running past those clowns and feeling like Superman.. at least until you hit the next boss. HA!
Going from easy to hard in no time at all :D
It's interesting as that level of contradiction in a games mechanics is often more frustrating than it is rewarding. I think it comes down to any game can make you feel powerful, it's rare to play a game that makes you feel weak and beats you up. As a very experienced gamer the new direction was a much more memorable experience that many indie games that just get pushed over.

Roa

I never got into demon's souls. It was considerably clunky and unbalanced compared to the souls games. Only my brother really tried it in its earlier days and he got me into souls 1 and I played that a while before I moved to PC. Went through all the other soul's games thoroughly and been a big fan pretty much the whole way, PVP issues aside. And now for my :

"HA! I was liking dark souls before it was cool!"

I actually had a really big thing for the king's field games before I even knew they were the same company many many years down the line lol. My one friend could never afford games, and so he had a bunch of retros he got ahold for cheap, some pretty uncommon games in the ps1/ps2 days. Kingsfield just happened to be one of them and I got hooked instantly. That sucker didnt leave my ps1 for weeks.

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
I've been with the Souls series since Dark Souls 1, and I feel Dark Souls 2 is an immensely underrated game in the series. It was a big exploration by the developers, who were trying many new things based on what had gone down well in the first game. There was a much heavier use of environmental mechanics (think the poison statues in Black Gulch, and the buttons you had to shoot in Shulva); bosses had some cool new abilities (Looking Glass Knight summons another player). If you bear through the not-so-good parts, there are some very rewarding moments and some excellent bosses. Fume Knight remains - to this day - my favourite boss of the series.

W

Widget

You began with DS3? It's gonna be hard to start DS1 and 2, since they've added a lot of gameplay improvements since then.

I'm really into the series, though I'm taking a break after I got all the achievements in DS3. That is until the DLC comes out.

Roa

I've been with the Souls series since Dark Souls 1, and I feel Dark Souls 2 is an immensely underrated game in the series. It was a big exploration by the developers, who were trying many new things based on what had gone down well in the first game. There was a much heavier use of environmental mechanics (think the poison statues in Black Gulch, and the buttons you had to shoot in Shulva); bosses had some cool new abilities (Looking Glass Knight summons another player). If you bear through the not-so-good parts, there are some very rewarding moments and some excellent bosses. Fume Knight remains - to this day - my favorite boss of the series.
Yeah, dark souls 2 is pretty great. There was some balance issues early on, but scholars made a lot of things better. My biggest issue with 2 is that is just feels a bit too linear for how much longer the game is drawn out compared to 1. A lot of areas are very tedious to get through making subsequent playthroughs a chore vs being fun.

You began with DS3? It's gonna be hard to start DS1 and 2, since they've added a lot of gameplay improvements since then.

I'm really into the series, though I'm taking a break after I got all the achievements in DS3. That is until the DLC comes out.
You mean except for PVP and faith builds? lmao Man, faith got boned again! You have to be like, level 130 for it to even begin to be viable. Things like lightning spears are a complete joke now. Even at point blank range for the distance scaling with 30 faith, you can only hit for like 320. They are such garbage. Man, you thought people twinked and ganked in souls 1? Dark souls 3 hates invaders lol. Try having any fun at all being in the aldrich faithful.
But other than that, its a pretty great game. Yal should get souls 2. That game could run on a potato.

BLang

Oh boy.
I remember the first time I played the original Dark Souls at my friend's place.

I was hopped up on energy drinks and was extremely jittery and nervous, and I hadn't slept for over 24 hours. And I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

At the time, me and my friend were running a youtube channel and this was a recording session, so giving up was not an option.

Long story short, there was a lot of screaming and cussing and after about two hours, I was completely mentally broken, sitting under a desk, sobbing quietly and questioning my life choices.

I slept under the desk that night.

When we woke up in the morning, we found that most of our recorded commentary was garbled and we couldn't make a full episode out of it. :(

Anyway, that's why I don't do youtube or Dark Souls anymore.

Especially Dark Souls.

I'm too much of a scrub.

W

Widget

You mean except for PVP and faith builds? lmao Man, faith got boned again! You have to be like, level 130 for it to even begin to be viable. Things like lightning spears are a complete joke now. Even at point blank range for the distance scaling with 30 faith, you can only hit for like 320. They are such garbage. Man, you thought people twinked and ganked in souls 1? Dark souls 3 hates invaders lol. Try having any fun at all being in the aldrich faithful.
But other than that, its a pretty great game. Yal should get souls 2. That game could run on a potato.
Yes, I do. I really meant the UI and upgrade system, etc.

Not exactly sure what Faith builds are like in DS3 since haven't started a character like that, but I'm fully aware PVP is crap. I try to be fancy with my moves/weapons but alas nothing beats R1 spam from a straight sword.

R

renex

Oh my god this game.
Everyone stops to look at that background geometry when they get there lol.
Screenshot_3.jpg

I died 35 times to [first boss] as a pyromancer and then got past it with a knight, have been thoroughly enjoying the game since.

I watched my brother get through 80% of DS1 before deciding to pick up DS3 myself.

It's hard. I hate it. 11/10.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I died 35 times to [first boss] as a pyromancer and then got past it with a knight, have been thoroughly enjoying the game since.
I beat it after less than 10 tries as a pyromancer, have been thoroughly enjoying the game since. :p

You do around 100 damage per hit with the fireball spell and the Ashen Estus charge means you get enough FP to beat the boss with just magic, the tricky part is knowing when to throw one. I spent most of the battle running away for dear life... and it still somehow felt epic.

As for the battle against Vordt... for some reason I felt his second phase was easier, since he telegraphs his attacks better AND has longer recovery time after they end. The tricky part is that if you get hit, you're pretty much screwed.
Also, something that surprised me was how effective blocking his attacks was. I found a Silver Eagle shield in a treasure chest, and it has 100% blunt damage absorption... which means that even tanking a Vordt mace hit doesn't damage you! (At least his overhead slices, the sweeps hit you instead of your shield). Sure, it makes you stagger and leaves you vulnerable, but it's a lot better than getting hit which damages you and still leaves you vulnerable.

Roa

As for the battle against Vordt... for some reason I felt his second phase was easier, since he telegraphs his attacks better AND has longer recovery time after they end. The tricky part is that if you get hit, you're pretty much screwed.
Also, something that surprised me was how effective blocking his attacks was. I found a Silver Eagle shield in a treasure chest, and it has 100% blunt damage absorption... which means that even tanking a Vordt mace hit doesn't damage you! (At least his overhead slices, the sweeps hit you instead of your shield). Sure, it makes you stagger and leaves you vulnerable, but it's a lot better than getting hit which damages you and still leaves you vulnerable.
You should never try to block him. You take the block, but you get stun locked like you said, but aside from that, you have a huge gap of time that you cant do anything as your stamina refills. Being guard broken will put you into the negatives and its quite a bit of time before you get the chance to roll, block, or swing again, not including the time spent staggered. That tactic wont work very long. If you roll against him and catch those i-frames then you save most of your stamina and you can actually go directly into a counter attack if you have the chance. If you are playing pyro, you have to get good at flippty-do-dah. Maybe even level up that adaptability.

Last edited:
T

Tirous

DS3 is the first game in the series i have played, and thus far i have found the keyboard/mouse to work fine for the most part, even while being <30fps due to the fact that my pc may be SLIGHTLY below the minimum recommended requirements ;)

Currently i find myself with a probably crappy strength/pyromancy build stuck trying to progress beyond the bonfire find beside the room with the large worm and old-demon-king boss, but that is just me ;)
That said, having not had time to play recently i bave probably become to inept to continue progressing, but whatever :D

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Progress is being made. Currently struggling against the third major boss. You'd think fireballs could hurt just about any part of this thing, not just the mushroom testicle things... IT'S FRIGGIN' MADE FROM WOOD! I'm considering grinding for enough dexterity to switch my sword out for a halberd so I can hit it from a safer range. Also, that thief mask looks soooooo cooool *____*
upload_2016-6-29_3-6-32.jpeg

Roa

That is an optional boss for a covenant. Also, I believe there should be an NPC summon to help you out. Also, if you dual hand the halberd, you can cut the dex requirement in half. The hardest part of this boss is the camera. Just keep circling until he opens his defense, then stomp'm in the nuts, literally. If you clear out the mooks before the battle, he is a lot easier to deal with.

Reactions: kia
K

kia

That is an optional boss for a covenant. Also, I believe there should be an NPC summon to help you out. Also, if you dual hand the halberd, you can cut the dex requirement in half. The hardest part of this boss is the camera. Just keep circling until he opens his defense, then stomp'm in the nuts, literally. If you clear out the mooks before the battle, he is a lot easier to deal with.
Dual handing just make strengh requirement half.i must get this game soon:mad:

Reactions: Roa
T

Tirous

Progress is being made. Currently struggling against the third major boss. You'd think fireballs could hurt just about any part of this thing, not just the mushroom testicle things... IT'S FRIGGIN' MADE FROM WOOD! I'm considering grinding for enough dexterity to switch my sword out for a halberd so I can hit it from a safer range. Also, that thief mask looks soooooo cooool *____*
View attachment 633
In the first phase you gotta attack the ... 'eggs'?, on his... junk(oh FROM...), until he begins the second phase, there is also eggs on his arms/legs which you can hit, tho they prove to have annoying hitboxes.
In the second phase you gotta learn to wait and not die, try hitting the eggs on his back while waiting for a chance to attack the large arm thing that comes out.
Only ever attack the arm thing while hes down, when he does that smashing attack in which he tries to crush you.

Not saying this is easy, just that thats how i found to best do it... so glhf yal :D

ps: range is kinda redundant since his attacks are so big, i would know as i play a pyromancer with a halberd ;)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
upload_2016-7-10_2-54-15.png

I had tons of issues finding the last weak spot... and then I realized I could just attack his flesh hand. But all those points put into Dexterity made a huge difference. This time, i really FELT I could do it, and it almost was anticlimactic when I landed the final blow.

Then I spent a while trying to get past the Outrider Knight. Eventually I gave up, tricked him into running into the elevator room, ran past him and managed to open the door to the Road Of Sacrifices before he found me again. x3

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm not complaining about reusing resources or anything, but when you put duplicates of a bookshelf next to each other like this it becomes OBVIOUS xD
upload_2016-7-10_17-49-49.jpeg

Roa

I think I'm going to join you in the offline play yal. I'm done with soul's pvp for good. lol

Late game gets so BS. If you don't have a dex character, you don't have anything. Its like each game, they limit more and more what you can do towards the end of the game as a possible outcome. Enemie's will just stama-spam the hell out (6-7 strong attacks) of you and if you arn't rolling with weighless armour, you can almost never recover. You're pretty much forced to play light weight classes.

jazzzar

Hell, this game's still on my pc, never played the first 2 just started with this, and you can guess, after like just 5 tries on the first boss, i rage quit and never played the game for like a month, decided to try my luck again, 4 tries rage quit harder and i was swearing alot while screaming, never played the game since then(like 3 months i think) 10/10 would never play again :p

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Hell, this game's still on my pc, never played the first 2 just started with this, and you can guess, after like just 5 tries on the first boss, i rage quit and never played the game for like a month, decided to try my luck again, 4 tries rage quit harder and i was swearing alot while screaming, never played the game since then(like 3 months i think) 10/10 would never play again :p
The first boss feels incredibly difficult, especially considering the areas preceding and following it. Apparently it's supposed to force you to learn about dodge rolls (which in their most basic form give you 13 frames of invincibility), but if you're playing like me, you learn to memorize during which of the boss' attacks you can spam fireballs and still get out of the way. If you feel like the character you started out with is too bad at the boss, you can always start a new file - the first area is just ~5 minutes of playtime, and you can get anything you start out with as either class back for the other classes eventually. A lot of guides recommends starting out as the Knight due to good gear and resistance to the early enemies' blunt attacks, and I'm Lv.40 and still using a Fire-infused sword I did with my burial gift... it's way more important to use gear you're comfortable with and used to than the gear with the biggest numbers.

5 tries feels WAY too little for Dark Souls, though. x3 5 tries is enough to get an idea about something, not enough to master it. The boss took me less than 10 tries, but definitely at least 5. x3

T

Tirous

Just thought it would be fun to post a pic of my current character, as she's more or less trapped in this area around the bonfire due to the fact that i suck to much to progress any-further(doesn't help i haven't played in about a month...)

I'm sure ill find my way out at some point, just have yet to learn how to deal with the demon ruins area...

edit: after playing for a bit, i am beginning to notice how weirdly easy it is to pick the game up again... still getting my ass handed to me, but not nearly as much as i expected, especially in a level +50 zone...

Last edited:

jazzzar

The first boss feels incredibly difficult, especially considering the areas preceding and following it. Apparently it's supposed to force you to learn about dodge rolls (which in their most basic form give you 13 frames of invincibility), but if you're playing like me, you learn to memorize during which of the boss' attacks you can spam fireballs and still get out of the way. If you feel like the character you started out with is too bad at the boss, you can always start a new file - the first area is just ~5 minutes of playtime, and you can get anything you start out with as either class back for the other classes eventually. A lot of guides recommends starting out as the Knight due to good gear and resistance to the early enemies' blunt attacks, and I'm Lv.40 and still using a Fire-infused sword I did with my burial gift... it's way more important to use gear you're comfortable with and used to than the gear with the biggest numbers.

5 tries feels WAY too little for Dark Souls, though. x3 5 tries is enough to get an idea about something, not enough to master it. The boss took me less than 10 tries, but definitely at least 5. x3
Haha but i'm mostly an fps competitive guy ( counter strike global offensive, call of duty, battlefield) and games like dark souls just makes me rage alot, i cannot stand losing alot :( , can you tell me what class you're playing with?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
can you tell me what class you're playing with?
Kinda hard to define xD I started off as a pyromancer with a Fire Gem, and I've put a lot of level-up points into Vitality, Strength and Dexterity so that I could wear a set of proper armor and fight with a sword. I guess you could say I started off as a pyromancer and reclassed into a knight once I realized melee combat is pretty nice and blocking attacks is easier than avoiding them... but I still use my trusty fireballs to hit annoying enemies out of reach or to aggro enemies I'd rather fight alone than with their nearby pals to lure them away.

Starting off as a pyromancer is actually pretty good for the beginning of the game - your fireballs might be slow to throw, but they can kill most enemies you run into pretty much instantly and they're awesome for enemies that lack dash attacks and projectiles (more or less all enemies in the beginning of the game, that is!). You actually start with enough mana to be able to kill the tutorial boss with just fireballs... if you take your Ashen Estus charge into account, at least, and you will have time to sip that sooner or later given how the boss has some attacks with loooong recovery time. Just take your time to learn his attacks so you know when it's safe. The trick to beat him as a pyromancer is to keep at a safe distance and make sure you end throwing before he does a jump attack. He doesn't seem to do two jumps at a time a lot, so trying to see when he charges a jump and then getting to a safe distance and throwing a fireball before he lands seems to work the best IMO.

Some other tips:
  • Keep an eye on your stamina gauge - it actually helps to save up a bit of stamina so you can dodge roll after a bunch of attacks; they make you invincible for a short time. You can still do attacks and rolls when you're out of stamina, but attacks are less than half as powerful and a bit slower (so it's easier for enemies to retaliate), and dodge rolls are considerably slower but has the same number of invincibility frames... which means you get less far away and are wide open for attacks for longer. On that note, try to take note of how many attacks with your favourite weapon it takes to empty your stamina gauge completely, it helps you in knowing when to roll out and recharge.
  • Remember to focus 100% on getting your souls back from the boss arena - you'll get a bunch from the enemies you cross each time you go back, and it might stack up to give you an extra levelup or an extra item once you're past the boss and get to the hub world.
  • You can run for really long, and stamina recharges quickly! Never underestimate running away as a tactic. You don't need to worry about attacks that can't hit you.
  • Speaking of the hub world (the inside of the temple), take your time to explore it a bit - it starts off with the Fire Keeper (buy levelups), the Blacksmith (buy weapon upgrades), the Handmaiden (general-purpose shopkeeper) and the depressed guy that tells you about the next mission objective... but there's a bunch of hidden NPCs that aren't immediately obvious, like a guy that sits on one of the thrones. If someone changes their dialogue the second time you talk to them, try talking a bit more... some NPCs give you stuff after you exhaust their dialogue. You generally want to spend all your souls on upgrades and items whenever you can so that you don't need to worry about losing anything, especially when heading to a new area you're unfamiliar with.
  • Don't focus too much on HP - a lot of enemy attacks are combos or so powerful 30 extra HP doesn't really matter. Upgrade strength and dexterity so you can use more weapons, then find a type you like. Also upgrade vitality if you can, being able to carry heavier stuff without movement penalties is a good way to survive more. You don't need to worry about upgrading your magic ability early on - your basic fireball is good enough and should last you until you're comfortable with the game.
  • As soon as you can (which is the first real area - it has a bunch of swords as item orbs and many enemies can drop them) get a sword and get the stats to use it. They're very versatile and pretty fast. If you get a fire gem, use it to infuse the sword you like the most - a lot of early enemies are weak to fire and/or will be too busy burning to attack you.
  • Whenever you find a door that reads "Doesn't open from this side", remember it - it's a shortcut you'll unlock later. In particular, the one in the first real area at the "wrong" tower is a shortcut to the area boss you'll LOVE having access to.
  • Get a bunch of prism stones as well - they can be thrown down ledges to tell if a pit is bottomless or not (they play a scream if the pit is bottomless) and are pretty nice for platforming bits in side areas.
Also, some specific tips.
  • On the left side of the shrine (aka leave through the main entrance and turn right) there's an optional boss swordsmaster. He's pretty tough, but can be relatively easily defeated by fireballs and running away, or made to fall off the edge (reload the area to put hits drops at his starting position so you can access them). That Uchigatana needs a lot of strength and dexterity, but its range is amazing and it looks absolutely badass to wield as well.
  • Once you get close enough to the big knight that guards the burning courtyard to actually see him (you'll know what I talk about once you see the guy), take your time to explore the floors above him before going down. There's a big dinner hall place with a treasure chest containing a Silver Eagle Kite Shield which is as amazing as it sounds (100% absorption for generic physical attacks, meaning you can block normal enemies without chip damage) and it also has an Estus Shard hidden at a different spot, which can be turned in at the blacksmith to increase your max number of Estus charges.
  • Speaking of treasure chests, approach them with care. Mimics are one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. You might want to attack them from a safe distance to make sure they're not going to eat you before trying to open a chest.

Last edited:

jazzzar

Kinda hard to define xD I started off as a pyromancer with a Fire Gem, and I've put a lot of level-up points into Vitality, Strength and Dexterity so that I could wear a set of proper armor and fight with a sword. I guess you could say I started off as a pyromancer and reclassed into a knight once I realized melee combat is pretty nice and blocking attacks is easier than avoiding them... but I still use my trusty fireballs to hit annoying enemies out of reach or to aggro enemies I'd rather fight alone than with their nearby pals to lure them away.

Starting off as a pyromancer is actually pretty good for the beginning of the game - your fireballs might be slow to throw, but they can kill most enemies you run into pretty much instantly and they're awesome for enemies that lack dash attacks and projectiles (more or less all enemies in the beginning of the game, that is!). You actually start with enough mana to be able to kill the tutorial boss with just fireballs... if you take your Ashen Estus charge into account, at least, and you will have time to sip that sooner or later given how the boss has some attacks with loooong recovery time. Just take your time to learn his attacks so you know when it's safe. The trick to beat him as a pyromancer is to keep at a safe distance and make sure you end throwing before he does a jump attack. He doesn't seem to do two jumps at a time a lot, so trying to see when he charges a jump and then getting to a safe distance and throwing a fireball before he lands seems to work the best IMO.

Some other tips:
  • Keep an eye on your stamina gauge - it actually helps to save up a bit of stamina so you can dodge roll after a bunch of attacks; they make you invincible for a short time. You can still do attacks and rolls when you're out of stamina, but attacks are less than half as powerful and a bit slower (so it's easier for enemies to retaliate), and dodge rolls are considerably slower but has the same number of invincibility frames... which means you get less far away and are wide open for attacks for longer. On that note, try to take note of how many attacks with your favourite weapon it takes to empty your stamina gauge completely, it helps you in knowing when to roll out and recharge.
  • Remember to focus 100% on getting your souls back from the boss arena - you'll get a bunch from the enemies you cross each time you go back, and it might stack up to give you an extra levelup or an extra item once you're past the boss and get to the hub world.
  • You can run for really long, and stamina recharges quickly! Never underestimate running away as a tactic. You don't need to worry about attacks that can't hit you.
  • Speaking of the hub world (the inside of the temple), take your time to explore it a bit - it starts off with the Fire Keeper (buy levelups), the Blacksmith (buy weapon upgrades), the Handmaiden (general-purpose shopkeeper) and the depressed guy that tells you about the next mission objective... but there's a bunch of hidden NPCs that aren't immediately obvious, like a guy that sits on one of the thrones. If someone changes their dialogue the second time you talk to them, try talking a bit more... some NPCs give you stuff after you exhaust their dialogue. You generally want to spend all your souls on upgrades and items whenever you can so that you don't need to worry about losing anything, especially when heading to a new area you're unfamiliar with.
  • Don't focus too much on HP - a lot of enemy attacks are combos or so powerful 30 extra HP doesn't really matter. Upgrade strength and dexterity so you can use more weapons, then find a type you like. Also upgrade vitality if you can, being able to carry heavier stuff without movement penalties is a good way to survive more. You don't need to worry about upgrading your magic ability early on - your basic fireball is good enough and should last you until you're comfortable with the game.
  • As soon as you can (which is the first real area - it has a bunch of swords as item orbs and many enemies can drop them) get a sword and get the stats to use it. They're very versatile and pretty fast. If you get a fire gem, use it to infuse the sword you like the most - a lot of early enemies are weak to fire and/or will be too busy burning to attack you.
  • Whenever you find a door that reads "Doesn't open from this side", remember it - it's a shortcut you'll unlock later. In particular, the one in the first real area at the "wrong" tower is a shortcut to the area boss you'll LOVE having access to.
  • Get a bunch of prism stones as well - they can be thrown down ledges to tell if a pit is bottomless or not (they play a scream if the pit is bottomless) and are pretty nice for platforming bits in side areas.
Also, some specific tips.
  • On the left side of the shrine (aka leave through the main entrance and turn right) there's an optional boss swordsmaster. He's pretty tough, but can be relatively easily defeated by fireballs and running away, or made to fall off the edge (reload the area to put hits drops at his starting position so you can access them). That Uchigatana needs a lot of strength and dexterity, but its range is amazing and it looks absolutely badass to wield as well.
  • Once you get close enough to the big knight that guards the burning courtyard to actually see him (you'll know what I talk about once you see the guy), take your time to explore the floors above him before going down. There's a big dinner hall place with a treasure chest containing a Silver Eagle Kite Shield which is as amazing as it sounds (100% absorption for generic physical attacks, meaning you can block normal enemies without chip damage) and it also has an Estus Shard hidden at a different spot, which can be turned in at the blacksmith to increase your max number of Estus charges.
  • Speaking of treasure chests, approach them with care. Mimics are one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. You might want to attack them from a safe distance to make sure they're not going to eat you before trying to open a chest.
wow very nice, this tips may actually get me to play the game again,thanks for ur time writing this :)

Roa

@Yal Don't even bother with vitality just for armor cause honestly, armor really sucks in souls 3. Putting points in vitality for armor vs dex or strength for a weapon is a waste of levels when that can be spent on a scaling stats on a weapon or something. It's been watered down to basic cosmetics and almost perfect exchanges of points for weight ratios. You won't find armor that is better or worse for any given situation or straight upgrades like the first 3 games. (save some magic resistance for 1-2 bosses) Its literally all aesthetics and how much you can min-max before you go over 70% weight ratio and destroy your roll. You dont even get scaling or upgrades on it anymore. Armor is pretty dumb, and I wouldn't go beyond maybe 20 points and havel's ring. No poise either, so fat builds are really hard to pull off effectively.

@jazzzar
Also, most importantly. UPGRADE THE PYRO HAND! It becomes pretty worthless pretty fast if you don't keep it up to par. You should treat it as your primary weapon when it comes to upgrade spending.

Because I can't spoil it anymore than yal did :p
Mimics are easy to spot. Any chest with a chain that faces towards you is a mimic. Any chest with a chain pointing behind itself is legit. And I've found not trapped chest either. This is a universal truth for all from software games. DONT swing at chest you are not sure are mimics cause you can destroy the contents.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
@Roa :
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. T__T
I feel like the game has cheated on me. Removing balance/freedom to the point where you need external info to not ruin the game for yourself feels kinda... not what I'd expected from this series. (I'm also kinda grumpy the game doesn't provide mouseover tooltips for the stats - having to rely on a wiki to be able to understand basic game concepts isn't very user-friendly, not to mention they're unreliable.)

@jazzzar :
Oh, and one more important thing for playing as a pyromancer - go to your equipment screen ASAP and put the Pyromancy Flame in the same hand as your melee weapon. Being able to keep your guard up when looking for the right opening to throw a fireball is pretty nice, and if you're like me, having one less button to keep track of in the heat of battle minimizes screwing-up potential considerably. (You'd only ever cycle your right-hand weapon).

Roa

@Roa :
I feel like the game has cheated on me. Removing balance/freedom to the point where you need external info to not ruin the game for yourself feels kinda... not what I'd expected from this series. (I'm also kinda grumpy the game doesn't provide mouseover tooltips for the stats - having to rely on a wiki to be able to understand basic game concepts isn't very user-friendly, not to mention they're unreliable.)
There is a tiny button in the bottom that when you click it, it gives you definitions. The wiki stuff literally just quotes these. Though I dont blame you for not finding it because dark souls has always had 💩💩💩💩 menus. You should look into getting scholar of the first sin. I think you would really like it. armor works in that game, and there are clear winners and losers for play styles, plus fatty armors scale with strength and speedy armors scale with dex. They have scaling numbers just like weapons and all armors can be upgraded just like weapons. Plus poise works so if you want to play a super armored beef cake tank character, you can. Its damn near impossible in 3. There isn't even that many good armors for it. Plus you get armor bonuses for wearing a full set which has incentives to seek out and collect. I have to admit, after playing it through to the end, and ending my frustration with things in dark souls 2 and some bad choices, I have to say that 3 is the weak link in the chain now. Not a bad game, but considerably watered down mechanically. Less control over builds. Coming up with creative and fun builds is not even an option anymore, and the game is so linear that collecting items for builds is also linear, so you can't even have certain builds before an area.

jazzzar

@Roa :

@jazzzar :
Oh, and one more important thing for playing as a pyromancer - go to your equipment screen ASAP and put the Pyromancy Flame in the same hand as your melee weapon. Being able to keep your guard up when looking for the right opening to throw a fireball is pretty nice, and if you're like me, having one less button to keep track of in the heat of battle minimizes screwing-up potential considerably. (You'd only ever cycle your right-hand weapon).
omg this game needs tactics hehe :p

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There is a tiny button in the bottom that when you click it, it gives you definitions.
T_________________________________________T

I guess SotFS sounds more fun or something, I just assumed that DS3 would be better due to the gameplay tweaks (switching from the FF1 magic system to MP, for instance) and being the newest game and stuff. SotFS is the expansion version of DS2, right?

I have to say I agree with you about the game being too linear... that was one of the things I heard was the selling points of the franchise, nonlinearity. The stuff the priestess says before giving you the banner is "xomg the lords moved to the lands that converge at the base of this castle" and it HEAVILY implies that the lands lie in different directions... and then you move through the slums in one direction and then onto a linear forest path, after having gone through a linear graveyard and a linear castle wall. WHERE'S MY DAMN FREEDOM ALREADY?! There's still secrets to be found and stuff, and I'm still having fun, but I've never felt like I had the choice to go another way when facing an unsurmountablish challenge... or choice to go anywhere, really.

Roa

T_________________________________________T

I guess SotFS sounds more fun or something, I just assumed that DS3 would be better due to the gameplay tweaks (switching from the FF1 magic system to MP, for instance) and being the newest game and stuff. SotFS is the expansion version of DS2, right?

I have to say I agree with you about the game being too linear... that was one of the things I heard was the selling points of the franchise, nonlinearity. The stuff the priestess says before giving you the banner is "xomg the lords moved to the lands that converge at the base of this castle" and it HEAVILY implies that the lands lie in different directions... and then you move through the slums in one direction and then onto a linear forest path, after having gone through a linear graveyard and a linear castle wall. WHERE'S MY DAMN FREEDOM ALREADY?! There's still secrets to be found and stuff, and I'm still having fun, but I've never felt like I had the choice to go another way when facing an unsurmountablish challenge... or choice to go anywhere, really.
Yeah, scholars is the real version PC should have got in the first place, plus it has all the DLC. Its kind of a better game on almost all fronts. Level design is lacking, but thats it. Yeah, dark souls 1 you get a couple different paths and can explore dead end areas, dark souls 2, you get even more, like there is 3-4 places to go right from the start. Dark souls 3 is almost one continuous path all the way through with very little divergence.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
. Its kind of a better game on almost all fronts. Level design is lacking, but thats it.
Which one of them are you referring to...? x3

I've tried to look up whether 2:SotLC is objectively better than 3, but I can't really find any definitive conclusions... especially not since the series is such a "either you love it or you hate it" thing. The only really objective thing I could find was complains about issues with keyboard/mouse controls... not really swaying me towards ditching 3 for 2 there since I prefer mouse/keyboard whenever possible for some reason.

K

kia

I installed it at last.my computer have half REQ . i am wondering how i get 40 frame (4 gig ram and geforce 430)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I installed it at last.my computer have half REQ . i am wondering how i get 40 frame (4 gig ram and geforce 430)
Go to System--->Options--->Graphics Tab--->Advanced and set everything to the lowest possible option. If the game runs smooth now, you could try increasing settings as much as you dare, otherwise it's now running as good as it'd ever gonna run. You might also want to lower the screen resolution, it was one of the most noticeable savings I could do.

T

Tirous

Go to System--->Options--->Graphics Tab--->Advanced and set everything to the lowest possible option. If the game runs smooth now, you could try increasing settings as much as you dare, otherwise it's now running as good as it'd ever gonna run. You might also want to lower the screen resolution, it was one of the most noticeable savings I could do.
this ^. However i'd keep shadows on, even if there clunky, its far harder to play without them as it plays a big part in helping with ones spacial awareness, where you are in relation to enemies for example.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Somehow managed to beat Pointiff Sullyvan on my 3rd try. That battle was epic! I ended up mostly running away and spamming fireballs while the NPC phantoms did melee stuff, but it didn't stop it from feeling like an amazing experience. Slowly making my way through Ithryll Dungeon... ended up dying after a drop in the giant's cell after a drop prism stones didn't claim was deadly ended up being deadly. At least I happened to have a Ring Of Sacrifice on because I was getting lots of souls and started worrying about losing them... x3

I've more or less never raised my stamina or MP... kinda feels like it's useless for PvE since stamina recharges if you just move backwards with your shield down and you can just put half your estus into MP bottles to have as much MP as necessary. Anyone agree/disagreeing?

Didn't get any good screencaps of me in the dungeon, but I happened to capture myself in a really badass situation earlier after beating the darkwraith in the High Wall.
upload_2016-8-2_1-15-25.png

Roa

Somehow managed to beat Pointiff Sullyvan on my 3rd try. That battle was epic!
damn.....
Well, thats one of the hardest bosses in the game in my opinion. That and the dancer of boreal vally.
I've more or less never raised my stamina or MP... kinda feels like it's useless for PvE since stamina recharges if you just move backwards with your shield down and you can just put half your estus into MP bottles to have as much MP as necessary. Anyone agree/disagreeing?
If you dont need a stat anymore, dont raise it. Health in souls 3 is a really really good thing to raise. All the armor in the world can't do justice against the effects health will have on your chances of survival.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
upload_2016-8-5_10-53-53.png
Beat Yhorm... this was probably the first boss I really struggled with since the tutorial boss. At first I thought he was just resistant to the stuff I prefer using (fire and physical) so I changed up my equipment and tried again a couple of times. And then I randomly noticed the item drop at the throne and got the Storm Ruler... and I'm not really happy with how you're supposed to get a puzzle boss' item DURING THE BATTLE, change up your equipment without being able to pause, and then figure out how to use the item's special ability under pressure when you barely have enough time to pull it off when you KNOW what you're doing. (Took a bunch of tries before I figured out you could STORE the charge and that you were supposed to unleash it with the 'skill' button to create a storm instead of as a strong attack to create a shockwave that did jack-diddly-squat). The battle started feeling really epic once I knew what I was doing and struggled to get enough distance to charge up the sword in time while being pursued by basically OoT Ganon on steroids, but the way the boss gimmick was presented isn't really what I'd call good boss design, especially not after all previous bosses being beatable by just hitting them with whatever you'd got. (Greatwood, Deacons and Wolnir both had weak points you needed to hit to deal damage, but none of them needed you to use a specific weapon and all had very clear tells what the weak point was)