OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

Gamemaker studio 2 sucks!! It got stuck on installing runtime 2.0.1.16 and restart again and again after some progress. What a buggy system it is! I was never a fan of gamemaker updating and importing things from marketplace because the same thing used to happen. Only if you have a god like internet connection then things will go ok for you otherwise it will keep crashing and restarting. Is there any other way to manually download and install this runtime 2.0.1.16?

C

CedSharp

Tiny Rant: Why does GMS2 still doesn't support Mouse 4...5...6...7... Buttons? COME ON GUYS IT'S 2084!!
Because those aren't "normal mouses". You could handle them using a DLL or an extension, sadly can't test that yet with GMS2.

J

Jaqueta

Because those aren't "normal mouses".
That's a pretty bad excuse tbh, even Quake 1 had support for these buttons in 1996. And when the game was released, mouses like that didn't even existed! In Fact, at that time, optical mouses were super rare, and I wasn't even born yet hahahaha

C

CedSharp

That's a pretty bad excuse tbh, even Quake 1 had support for these buttons in 1996. And when the game was released, mouses like that didn't even existed! In Fact, at that time, optical mouses were super rare, and I wasn't even born yet hahahaha
I don't think GameMaker should support any "extra" input from a mouse, neither should it support extra buttons on a keyboard. It should not either support your keyboard having a display or whatever.
But, GameMaker *could* and probably *should* allow using other keycodes than the default ones. I agree with that.

I don't think you really want a "mb_extra_3" for example, but you would want to check for "mouse_check_button_pressed( 8 )" instead.

Creating the macros for extra buttons should be the user's job, not GameMaker's job.

A

Alessio

I don't think GameMaker should support any "extra" input from a mouse, neither should it support extra buttons on a keyboard. It should not either support your keyboard having a display or whatever.
But, GameMaker *could* and probably *should* allow using other keycodes than the default ones. I agree with that.

I don't think you really want a "mb_extra_3" for example, but you would want to check for "mouse_check_button_pressed( 8 )" instead.

Creating the macros for extra buttons should be the user's job, not GameMaker's job.
I'm not sure but i think he was joking.

J

Jaqueta

There's no need to create constants for that, would be useful for customizable controls. Where you can get which button was pressed with mouse_button, store it into a variable/ini file and you can use it later with no problems.

C

CedSharp

I'm not sure but i think he was joking.
Seems he wasn't joking ;)

There's no need to create constants for that, would be useful for customizable controls. Where you can get which button was pressed with mouse_button, store it into a variable/ini file and you can use it later with no problems.
that's not what I meant. I was only saying that if game maker does anything, I don't think it should go further than allowing to listen to direct keycodes.
I was just saying that there is no reason for gamemaker to create scripts to listen for those nor the need to create constants like mb_left.
How you decide to handle the keycode is up to you.

Are there even speed improvements? I can't see a point in buying GMS2. It has been made way more complicated to work with. Also how exactly this layer based drawing any helpful? Pretty sure one can achieve the same thing using depth system in GMS 1.4. I can't really see any improvements in it.

I

irvinmujcin

Ok i like interface in gm2 little bit new.But can someone explain where is in gm2 this options that 1.4 have

Attachments

C

CedSharp

Are there even speed improvements? I can't see a point in buying GMS2. It has been made way more complicated to work with. Also how exactly this layer based drawing any helpful? Pretty sure one can achieve the same thing using depth system in GMS 1.4. I can't really see any improvements in it.
1. Yes. GameMaker Studio 2 has insane fps improvements compared to GameMaker:Studio 1.4, specially when it comes to collisions.
2. The sprite and the room editor aren't even comparable anymore, they reached a completly new level.
3. The new workflow in GameMaker Studio 2 allows for less mouse clicking which lets you get done with what you want faster without spending time clicking useless buttons.
4. It has not been made more complicated, it has been made DIFFERENT. If you don't want to learn how to change your way of working, that's different.
5. The layer system let's' gamemaker batch rendering a lot more efficiently. You, as the user, it doesn't change much, but internally, for GameMaker, it's a huge increase in fps.

I think you are completly underestimating GameMaker. Please take the time to test it fully, or if you're not interested in using a DIFFERENT software, then ignore studio 2 completly.
Your comment broke my heart :(

C

CedSharp

Ok i like interface in gm2 little bit new.But can someone explain where is in gm2 this options that 1.4 have
All the image effects are gone ( gradient, shadow, outline, make color transparent, etc )
The special tool "change all pixel of this color" is also gone. This is something I think is sad.
But it's just a beta, so let's request yoyogames to add them back!

I

irvinmujcin

All the image effects are gone ( gradient, shadow, outline, make color transparent, etc )
The special tool "change all pixel of this color" is also gone. This is something I think is sad.
But it's just a beta, so let's request yoyogames to add them back!
I hope its big miss if dont put that in new version...

A

Alessio

Yet, as i've written before, i'm amazed that when there was GM:S everyone complained because the IDE had to be changed and now that GM:S2 is out in closed beta we have people complaining because many things changed.
Personally, still, as i've written before, i hated the IDE: if now we have a flexible IDE with GML mostly unchanged, i'm fine with it.

hdarren

C

CedSharp

Yet, as i've written before, i'm amazed that when there was GM:S everyone complained because the IDE had to be changed and now that GM:S2 is out in closed beta we have people complaining because many things changed.
Personally, still, as i've written before, i hated the IDE: if now we have a flexible IDE with GML mostly unchanged, i'm fine with it.
I don't mind that the ide change. I agree the UI was bad.
I'm complaining about features which I used in every single project that are now gone.
They don't need to keep the "generate gradient" in the "Image" menu. But at least
make the gradient generator available somewhere... don't just remove such an useful feature :/

colorize, gradient, drop shadow, glow, blur, sharpen, erase color....
All those features lets a not-an-artist coder like me generate quick cheap sprites that aren't plain.
I can, in less than a minute, create a small ball wish looks somewhat 3d ( thanks to gradient ), and a shadow, and add an outline to sharpen it's edge.
In less than one minute I made something that otherwise would take me 10-20 minutes to make.

Again, I agree that the UI changed, and that's for the best. I'm not complaining about the UI.
I'm complaining about the features. They removed something they shouldn't have.

A

Alessio

Wasn't talking about gradients, though, well, i agree they shouldn't have removed that but, who knows, maybe they'll add it back later.
Sure the image editor looks cool but i've always used external programs so i even minded less about that but it's sure a better image editor.

But I've read some posts that make GM:S2 look like it's even worse than its predecessor while it should be better instead. Because it looks significantly better, judging from appearence and from what some others report.

I

icuurd12b42

Actually, I have not seen much bitching about the New UI... The missing feature will likely come in slowly over time though

C

CedSharp

I've seen mike answer here and there that "this will be added" and "this isn't part of the beta but will come to gamemaker in the future".
I can only hope when they release GameMaker there will be no more "it's not there yet, we'll implement it later" :D

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We have very specifically not added everything to the Image Editor that was in 1.x, because to us.... most of them would be unused. That said, we will be adding in some that we've not gotten feedback on; change colour, blur, gradients etc. Not right away, but certainly when we get a chance to draw breath. Others will come if we see a reasonable number of requests for each of them, but we're not adding in every pointless image op.

The image editor is also written to be extensible, so one day... we hope users will add their own and make them available on the marketplace - but this is a loooong way off yet.

C

CedSharp

We have very specifically not added everything to the Image Editor that was in 1.x, because to us.... most of them would be unused. That said, we will be adding in some that we've not gotten feedback on; change colour, blur, gradients etc. Not right away, but certainly when we get a chance to draw breath. Others will come if we see a reasonable number of requests for each of them, but we're not adding in every pointless image op.

The image editor is also written to be extensible, so one day... we hope users will add their own and make them available on the marketplace - but this is a loooong way off yet.
Good. I knew the beta doesn't have everything in it, so that's why NOW is the time for requests :D
It seems there will be plugin support for gms2... Do you mean that gamemaker will have some sort of plugin API ?
Which would let users create their own effect for the sprite, their own tools for the room editor and other nice addons ?
That would be insanely awesome !

C

CedSharp

In time, we "hope" to allow users to create IDE plugins that can be used for their own tools, or to enhance tools there already.
The whole IDE is basically a plugin. :)
GMS 2 was already far beyond GMS1.4 in my heart. now, with this little post of yours, gms1.4 is now dead in my hearth. long live gms2 :D

I

icuurd12b42

Yeah, these are used, these things are available in paint.net but tbh, game maker's sprite editor did those way better (effects are centered and sprite edge aware mostly). There are 2 types of users for the sprite editor. those who use it to doodle, and those who use the effects tools to create effect sprites. Since you already have the code in house for all these, I don't know where the reticence is coming from. Since as you say, user plugging is a long way away, I hope the sprite editor will have the same effects I use. I hate to have to start studio 1.4 to do my sprites. BTW do you guys still have the sprite editor as a separate stand alone program? That would be awesome. Studio's sprite editor is awesome, I dont think you guys fully understand how awesome it is...

I

Insanebrio

I saw in the FAQ and in the get page that if you already have a module on GMS i can buy the GMS2 counterpart for 40% less. But i see that android and ios are fused together on GMS2 (mobile module) for 400$. If i got only the android module on GMS and i do not have the ios one, will i still get the 40% reduction to upgrade the module on GMS2 or not?
Also, do you have any preview of the functions that are going to change/become obsolete?
Can you explain better the layer thing in the room editor? Is it only a graphic thing (like surfaces) or works also for collision?
Also, does the new room editor allow you to edit the local variables on instances you place (i dont see it in the preview video)

Last edited by a moderator:

danibus

Hi there
I have GM pro plus some extras like android export. If I buy new GM2 Pro with discount (upgrade), is necessary to buy also extras like android export?

C

CedSharp

Hi there
I have GM pro plus some extras like android export. If I buy new GM2 Pro with discount (upgrade), is necessary to buy also extras like android export?
yes

You don't need to buy android if you don't want it, you can buy only Pro and it'll work perfectly fine.
But to be able to export to android, you need the android license which is sold seperatly from the Pro license, so yes, you'd have to buy them again.

F

FoxInABox

I got master edition on Steam, will there be a upgrade option for it too? I take it that the upgrade paths are just plans and not something that is put into action yet?

C

CedSharp

I got master edition on Steam, will there be a upgrade option for it too? I take it that the upgrade paths are just plans and not something that is put into action yet?
For master collection, the discount is of 50% instead of 40% so it'll cost you around 520$ to upgrade.

GameMaker Studio 2 is still in beta ( actually it barelly even started beta haha ) and won't release until 2017.
On the published roadmap, it says they will try to released between january and march. ( if that's what Q1 means )

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Hello!

I recall people complaining about building multiplayer games in gms:1.. anyone know why that was an issue and if it will be in gms:2 ?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Any word on what, if any, new shader texture sampler types and formats will be available? eg:cubemaps

Now that you're using DX11, will we have access to the Geometry shader?
No changes/new features at the moment, but these things are on the wish-list (although there is currently no timeframe for when they'll be added to the to-do list).

R

Revenant

For master collection, the discount is of 50% instead of 40% so it'll cost you around 520$ to upgrade.
Does this actually definitely apply to Steam-purchased versions though? It's always been a bit of a 'second class' version due to the way Steam works, but at least YoYo eventually managed to link the licences.

I have the MC via Steam so would love official confirmation...

C

CedSharp

Does this actually definitely apply to Steam-purchased versions though? It's always been a bit of a 'second class' version due to the way Steam works, but at least YoYo eventually managed to link the licences.

I have the MC via Steam so would love official confirmation...
I know they mentionned that GameMaker would be a standalone this time. But I don't know if steam users will have the discount :/

C

CedSharp

This is too costly 500$ for master edition seriously??
No, it's way above 1000$ for master collection.
You pay 500$ only if you already have GameMaker Studio 1.4 Master collection. Otherwise you have to pay the full price.

sandy

It's a fair price.
Its not a fair price. We already paid 500$ for master edition and now we have pay 500$ again. No way
Price should be around 300$.
Master editiion doesnt even include console so why the hell its priced so high

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Actually... just to clarify... Console exports are not free, up until now they were in fact pre-paid for by Microsoft and Sony. It's not like we've been giving them away :)
Any reason why the corresponding exports on GMS 2 aren't paid for by Microsoft and Sony now?

If it's legal issues or the export isn't done yet, I can understand. But if it's technical issues, you should really be taking a hard look on yourselves.
  • If you're getting thrown out for supporting 3D too poorly, you need to make a choice between making console exports or droning on with that "GM is for 2D" mantra.
  • If you're getting thrown out for inadequate industry acceptance, you need to make a choice between adding features that professionals need or sticking to that "rookies-first" agenda.
  • If you're getting thrown out for responding too slowly to API changes (I've seen this way too much on iOS and Android), you need to make a choice between making a better crisis response plan or keeping up with the months-long support queue modus operandi.
  • If you're getting thrown out for having too many engine-level bugs at runtime, you need to make a choice between more rigorous QA (e.g. unit tests for basic operations) or keeping up with the whack-a-mole tactic we've seen in all these years.
When you charge professional prices for GMS 2, it's our expectation that you deliver a professional product. And when the export doesn't get endorsed by the manufacturer and needs to be paid for unlike other sponsored competitors, that says a lot about its viability as a business decision.

P

psychoanima

Why is Xbox One in Console module and not in UWP? That seriously makes no sense, you are separating something that Microsoft have merged into one.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Our XBox one module uses the exclusive mode of the Xbox one and gives you full access to all the cpu and going resources, and access to all the available ram. The uwp mode on Xbox one currently only gives you 2 cpus, a few gpu cores and 512mb of ram. Microsoft may change that in the future

Our uwp module works fine on a retail Xbox, I was just testing it last week.

And that is both 1.4 and 2.0

Russell

Last edited:
P

Pelican

Joined beta testing and tried to install GM2, realised you need a 64-bit computer. My only one is 32-bit. Damn. :(