iOS different images based on device resolution?

Ruimm

Hi all!

I'm making a game that will be available for iOS and Android but I'm not sure how to deal with textures for the different device resolutions.
The game will not have pixelated graphics so I need a solution that will scale correctly.

In the past, using other engines, I had different versions of my textures scaled for different resolutions and, during runtime, I would load the correct one based on the window size.
Should I do the same in GM? Have different sprites for different resolutions and then switch to the correct one during runtime?
Will this be worth it? Will this make all the different sprites load into memory?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

Bingdom

Googledom
I don't think you need different textures for screen sizes, unless if you are going to implement graphic settings for slower devices.

There is a way to prevent all textures from being loaded. You can sort them out using texture pages.

A better way to handle different screen resolutions is by drawing the UI in the GUI draw event. More info about handling screen resolutions here.

K

KriLL

Make your game 16:9 aspect ratio and it will scale well. GMS can also use vector geaphics swf images) which scale to any resolution although more of a cpu performance hit.
My game uses vectors. My Samsung galaxy s4 struggled a bit but they no problem for my S6 now and any S5/iphone 5 and up phone.

rIKmAN

There is a way to prevent all textures from being loaded. You can sort them out using texture pages..
There seems to be a possible issue with this method, see this thread for more details, but it doesn't seem to be working for @RyanC

It seems madness to me that GM would force all resource tree items to be loaded at the start with no way to selectively change what is loaded, but it seems to be what is happening in that thread.

I hope not, as I also used separate image sets in other apps using other languages to make sure my images were crisp and sharp on multiple devices across the whole resolution spectrum.

Make your game 16:9 aspect ratio and it will scale well. GMS can also use vector geaphics swf images) which scale to any resolution although more of a cpu performance hit.
My game uses vectors. My Samsung galaxy s4 struggled a bit but they no problem for my S6 now and any S5/iphone 5 and up phone.
Using 16:9 aspect will make sure the game scales in terms of no black bars or borders, but that won't stop images scaled up looking blurry on higher res displays, which is what OP is talking about.

Using SWF also comes with caveats - ie. using a texture page for each vector, not being able to use gradients without severe performance hits etc