• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [ Suggestion ] Parameter Description?

C

CedSharp

Hello fellow beta testers ( and you too yoyogames! ).

I am super happy to see javadoc integration in GameMaker!
I would hence like to make a suggestion:

Currently, the documentation is exactly as it was in GM:S 1.4,
with the current addition of description and parameter description.

But I feel the way it is displayed to the user is unfit.
Currently, everything is compacted in the status bar

I wonder if it would instead be possible to create an "parameter autocomplete" ?
Something very similar to Visual Studio's parameter autocomplete, where the syntax
is shown on the first line, followed by the function's description, and finally the description
of the current parameter.

Something like this:

If this get integrated into GM:S2, I feel like it would benefit so many people, and not just
advanced users, but also people who just barely start GML, they could have the definition
of scripts right in front of them instead of spending 90% of the time in the documentation just
because they aren't sure between 2 similar scripts.

Just an idea, I wonder if I'm the only one thinking this ^^

- CedSharp

You're not the only one thinking this. I asked for this years ago, too, and got a "nothing like this until 2.0." Sad to hear it's not in there, yet. It's a real boon when using Visual Studio. Thankfully, they're finally off the old junk code base, so hopefully things like this are easier to add.

C

CedSharp

You're not the only one thinking this. I've been asking for this for years, too. Sad to hear it's not in there, yet. It's a real boon when using Visual Studio.
I was so excited when I saw the support for javadoc. But the only usage is this, compacting it all in the status bar. I'd rather coninue using the one line syntax from gm 1.4 instead :/

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We are still fiddling with the layout, but can't comment more than that right now... How we display things is actually the easy bit, the hard part of parsing it all, and associating it with scripts has been done.

G

gamible

We are still fiddling with the layout, but can't comment more than that right now... How we display things is actually the easy bit, the hard part of parsing it all, and associating it with scripts has been done.
Can't y'all just add heaps of different styles that people can change in preferences? That way you can please everyone, and don't have to just decide on one thing.

C

CedSharp

Can I assume the answer is "it's possible and could maybe happen" ? :D

that's awesome. Yeah, if you can show everything in the statusbar, then makes sense that the logic is all there.
So yeah, basically, I think javadoc hass way too much info ( specially in bigger scripts with more parameters ) to be shown on one line.
And the idea of having this parameter autocomplete is that even I, on my huge screen, won't have to look down the status bar all the time :p

Thanks for taking the time to answer me ~
- CedSharp

I

icuurd12b42

Use the Syntax Error tab... Rename It Syntax, display the function information there along with syntax errors. The function parameter in the code status line is hidden most the time anyway because the code box by default is a little too tall and the bottom is not showing...

C

CedSharp

Use the Syntax Error tab... Rename It Syntax, display the function information there along with syntax errors. The function parameter in the code status line is hidden most the time anyway because the code box by default is a little too tall and the bottom is not showing...
That would already be a step forward... Avoiding compacting all information on one line.

but I always have the bottom panel closed ( I open it just when I run the game ) so that wouldn't help.
Also the main problem I have is that the definitions are away from my work. By having a popup, autocomplete or something that displays next to where I'm typing would make it so much better.

I

icuurd12b42

I'm actually a big fan of that MSDev system you posted

C

CedSharp

I also feel like the GMDoc I builded ( and am rewriting to be a lot better ) will finally make a lot more sense.
GMS2 uses javadoc, exactly what my tool uses to generate documentations!
It would be so professional to have the game maker editor display the information that is found in the documataition of that script itself.
Well then, I'll be hoping and hoping for this feature.

Yoyogames, you definitly have a +1 from me :D

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We use jsdoc btw not javadoc (manual was changed at the last minute and did not make the final build) see http://usejsdoc.org/

The triple slash commenting has to be used to activate it though...

Russell

C

CedSharp

We use jsdoc btw not javadoc (manual was changed at the last minute and did not make the final build) see http://usejsdoc.org/

The triple slash commenting has to be used to activate it though...

Russell
I knew it was jsdoc, but manual said javadoc, that's why I said so :p

Also, instead of adding a tripple slash for every line we use in the "jsdoc" would it be possible instead to use the double-star multiline comment?
( or like I like to call it, a documentation comment? )

Code:
/**
 * @description ...
 * @param   { String }   name      The name of the script
 * @param   { Number }   id        The instance's id in which to execute the script
 * @param   { Any }      data      [OPTIONAL] If provided, this value will be given as a parameter to the script
 * @returns { Void }     Nothing
 */
** GameMaker is not a typed language so you could ignore the { ... }, I can live without it.
But I have snippets and such in other editors with doc which use this double /** comment block style, and would really love being able to use them in GameMaker ~

I don't think it would require much changes in the parser to include that, and that's the convention when it comes to jsdoc.
You could keep the triple comment, but add support for comment block too?

I'm asking so much, but that's what betas are for no? Testing and suggesting :p

- CedSharp