OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's here! We're very proud to officially announce GameMaker Studio 2, the next evolution of our flagship game development tool. Studio 2 is not just a new version of GameMaker: Studio, it has been rewritten from the ground up to improve and expand upon the foundation laid by its predecessor. A whole new codebase, a whole new UI, a whole new GameMaker!

See the full release article here: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/397

B

Braffolk

THAT IS AMAZING OH MY GOD

Thank god Yoyogames didnt wait 20+ days till the end of the month

Edit: So when are we getting the new data types?

Last edited by a moderator:

Overloaded

The Oneirophobe
So THAT was the secret behind the hashtag! November 2th! You guys are awesome! I downloaded the beta, can't wait to try it out!! :D :D

Christmas came early this year!

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Negan haven't take his cut on those prices! Very good price. Will Buy it asap. Thx for making good products. You rules yoyo. \m/

m0zzy

A Quick, maybe 'Obvious' Question about pricing ... im wanting the 'Mobile' version of GMS2, but i can still Test/Run on Desktop .?

GMWolf

aka fel666
:'( Even using the master upgrade path, i dont think i can justify buing it! sad times...
unless i give up on all those export modules....

Hello !
Is there a precise feature list ? what about sprites ? Is it still loaded like old GM ? (like, external sprites taking 4 times more ram, and everything has to be loaded into memory at first)
Well played.

T

TGeorgeMihai

November 2 , clever hint ;)

Really nice, I can't wait to try it when I arrive home.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
A Quick, maybe 'Obvious' Question about pricing ... im wanting the 'Mobile' version of GMS2, but i can still Test/Run on Desktop .?
Yes, you can. The new "target" system has a "Test" option for testing games on desktop, however you won't be able to create an executable for windows, only for the mobile targets in the licence you buy.

B

BrandonBrandonBrandon

All I wanted for Christmas was structs/classes :(

but at least I finally get the Ternary operator! :)

S

StuffandThings85

Unfortunately i can't mess with it right now, but I like the look of it from the demos. The new DnD looks more like Unreal's Blueprint editor.

Reactions: Roa

m0zzy

Yes, you can. The new "target" system has a "Test" option for testing games on desktop, however you won't be able to create an executable for windows, only for the mobile targets in the licence you buy.
Thanks for the Quick Reply..
something that hasnt been touched upon AT ALL .. is 3D .? is there better 3D .? Will there be a video soon,.?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
how are more beta slots going to be given out
at random?
Slots will be opened up after a specific period of time. So when the current ones run out, come back tomorrow and check again. They will be opened up a few hundred at a time and they are given out on a first-come first-served basis.

RujiK

Glad it finally came out.

No more backgrounds?? Man, thats gonna take a long time to change..

EDIT: Nvm, just renamed to layer_background

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Thanks for the Quick Reply..
something that hasnt been touched upon AT ALL .. is 3D .? is there better 3D .? Will there be a video soon,.?
That depends on what you call better 3D. The D3D functions have been stripped out in favour of a more robust GPU/Texture/Camera/Primitive structure. It may be slightly more of a learning curve to get into it, but it does permit you to have more control over 3D stuff. Check this link out for more details of the functions that have been added: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231539867-GameMaker-Studio-2-New-Functions-List

And this link for what has been removed: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231738328-GameMaker-Studio-2-Obsolete-Function-List

T

tafkatfos

Managed to get into the Beta. Love the new IDE/UI. Nice to have tabbed scripts! Ha

Upgrade price is a lovely bonus as well. Excited for the full release.

Congrats to the peeps at YoYo.

m0zzy

Blimey, Cant believe "instance_create(x,y,obj)" .. has been removed .. i must use that a million times .. im sure theres an equivalent tho ..

Darn... didn't get in
Also liking how GM will automatically create compatibility scripts for you! That sounds really nice

edit: Still nothing about object specific events/scripts: obj_player.move();

RujiK

Does anywhere explain the layer commands? So we have layers AND depth? Whats the difference?

spacerobot

I can't tell you how excited I am. This looks amazing.

Question: Can you cop and paste tile sections on the room editor?

J

J_C

Quick question guys:

I've just entered game development, I've been making my first game with RPG Maker. Now I wanted to make a big step forward and bought GameMaker Studio 1.4 a few weeks ago, to develop my next game under this engine. But since I was just learning to use that engine, should I just stop bothering with 1.4 for now and wait until this new version gets released? I like the new UI and the features, but do you think it is justifable to spend money on GM2 as a noob developer? :) Or should I stick with 1.4 for now?

U

uelsimon

ok I just got to say it... no mac version...:(.

now to go find that asus.

looking forward to checking out their audio support features.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Does anywhere explain the layer commands? So we have layers AND depth? Whats the difference?
Read the manual. It should all be in there... However in GENERAL you'll want to use layers rather than depth. All depth is for is for getting a more granular control over how things are rendered, so if layers are at a depth of 100, 200, 300 etc, and you want a bomb or something to go down through the layers not in jumps but smoothly, then you'd use depth. Or for 3/4 view where you want depth = -y (as that would require loads of layers that do nothing really). Essentially depth is STILL a layer system, only each depth you set creates a "managed layer" that is created/destroyed by GMS2 automatically.

Last edited:

Edoc'sil

Based on the limited info available, it looks like layers allow you to group objects and have more control over them. For instance, there is a new function to deactivate specific layers, etc. Using the depth just strictly sets the object's depth at creation.

-edit-

Based on Nocturnes reply above I may be very wrong haha.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Quick question guys:

I've just entered game development, I've been making my first game with RPG Maker. Now I wanted to make a big step forward and bought GameMaker Studio 1.4 a few weeks ago, to develop my next game under this engine. But since I was just learning to use that engine, should I just stop bothering with 1.4 for now and wait until this new version gets released? I like the new UI and the features, but do you think it is justifable to spend money on GM2 as a noob developer? :) Or should I stick with 1.4 for now?
I can't answer that really, but I will say that with technology the golden rule is always buy the newest and most powerful that you can afford. Oh, and I _would_ say that the new GMS2 has an amazingly good DnD system (Drag and Drop) which is vastly superior to 1.4. Why not come back tomorrow and see if you can snag a beta slot and then test it and see? :)

m0zzy

ok I just got to say it... no mac version...:(.

now to go find that asus.

looking forward to checking out their audio support features.
It says theres going to be a MAC version later ..

QUESTION THO :
Will you have to buy the MAC version separately tho, i wouldnt want to buy both .. but it would help with the 'Mobile' version for obvious reasons..

RujiK

@Nocturne Thanks! Didn't realize the manual was updated already.

Also, are there collapsible code blocks now????

EDIT: Online manual is not updated yet...

Double edit: I meant this by collapsible/foldable code blocks:

Last edited:

COWCAT

I'm hoping GMS 1.4 will keep getting supported for a while!
Also, this :

GameMaker Studio games send analytics data to YoYo Games, both from the IDE and the from the games you create. Both will send data about the PC running the program (things like monitor size, CPU, GPU, memory, etc…) and final games will also send data on what the game is and how long it has been played.
I don't mind if it sends info from the IDE, but... the game? When it will run on the players computers?!