The GMC Rad Reviewers [sign up & Discussion]

Reviewers: The first deadline for your two reviews is October 31st 2016 at 1 pm Eastern Standard Time!

Now that I have that out of the way:
@Adrien Dittrick We can't do a review of your game unless you repost your game to the new GMC forum. If you have already done that, please give up that link rather than the link to GameJolt. I call dibs on reviewing his game.

Edit: The Review Archive is live: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/review-periodical-gmcrr.6407/
All right, here you go!
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/near-life-expérience.6419/

Gravedust

Since it states that you review incomplete games, I have a gameplay prototype that I would love to get some feedback on. :)

It is far from complete in terms of visuals or features, but I have been working on the core gameplay and would love to get more feedback on that before I proceed.

WIP Thread is located HERE
Direct download HERE (5mb, windows, no installer)

Thanks very much!

O

Otyugra

Remember everyone, you need to have two reviews done before Halloween ends or you'll get a warning point. If you get too many of those points, I'll kick you out of the group.

So, how does the revciew system work? :eek:
Can you be a little more specific with your question?

@FruitPunchGuy Not counting the title information and disclaimer, your review is 263 words long, which is shorter than the 375 word minimum. Would you be willing to expand the review to have a few more sentences? It doesn't need to be 375 words long this time around, but your review is really short. Make sure you make the review long enough next time around. Don't forget to link your game on the review archive: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/review-periodical-gmcrr.6407/

@Sabnock I added you to the team. Thank you for joining!

@Gravedust I know what you meant to write, but technically we don't actually review incomplete games. We give feedback on them which is totally different. Feedback is more like a friend telling another friend personal advice, rather than an online periodical telling the masses if a game is objectively good enough to recommend playing. I hope one of our reviewers is kind enough to spend some time to play your game and give you feedback. I myself am too busy to do that any time soon.

@mazimadu I'm really glad you're able to review android games, I prefer to review computer games so it is really good to see that many types of games are getting reviews. I'm honestly impressed by how long and well written your review is! Keep up the good work! :) Don't forget to link your game on the review archive: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/review-periodical-gmcrr.6407/

~ ~ ~
Community Question: how do you all feel about giving reviews a number score? I personally prefer to end on a recommendation instead, but it seems the common thing to do is grade games out of 10. If you had to give a score, how would you determine a score?

M

mazimadu

In the past I would have recommended a review be an average of a few criteria (presentation, design, gameplay, etc) but this system has been abused in recent years, then dropped altogether. I would prefer a good/bad rating followed by a pros/cons list. That way the reader can from a glance determine if the reviewer liked it or not and why, as well ask know the strengths and weaknesses of the game. Star ratings and 10 point scales are somewhat overrated.

Remember everyone, you need to have two reviews done before Halloween ends or you'll get a warning point. If you get too many of those points, I'll kick you out of the group.

Oh I was wondering stuff about the review system.
Like who would review my game, what would the criteria be, etc etc :D

O

Otyugra

Oh I was wondering stuff about the review system.
Like who would review my game, what would the criteria be, etc etc :D
Oh. I called dibs on your game, so I'll be the one reviewing it at some point soon. Everyone's criteria is different, but I personally try to evaluate each aspect about the game and then I put focus on what I think is most central to the game, which most often is the gameplay. I also like to evaluate the game as a whole and try to evaluate it's more abstract aspects too.

Sabnock

@FruitPunchGuy Not counting the title information and disclaimer, your review is 263 words long, which is shorter than the 375 word minimum. Would you be willing to expand the review to have a few more sentences? It doesn't need to be 375 words long this time around, but your review is really short. Make sure you make the review long enough next time around. Don't forget to link your game on the review archive: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/review-periodical-gmcrr.6407/

@Sabnock I added you to the team. Thank you for joining!

@Gravedust I know what you meant to write, but technically we don't actually review incomplete games. We give feedback on them which is totally different. Feedback is more like a friend telling another friend personal advice, rather than an online periodical telling the masses if a game is objectively good enough to recommend playing. I hope one of our reviewers is kind enough to spend some time to play your game and give you feedback. I myself am too busy to do that any time soon.

@mazimadu I'm really glad you're able to review android games, I prefer to review computer games so it is really good to see that many types of games are getting reviews. I'm honestly impressed by how long and well written your review is! Keep up the good work! :) Don't forget to link your game on the review archive: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/review-periodical-gmcrr.6407/

~ ~ ~
Community Question: how do you all feel about giving reviews a number score? I personally prefer to end on a recommendation instead, but it seems the common thing to do is grade games out of 10. If you had to give a score, how would you determine a score?

How will this work. will we be given games to review or will we simply pick what takes our fancy? i am concerned that the same game will be reviewed by multiple reviewers :D

O

Otyugra

How will this work. will we be given games to review or will we simply pick what takes our fancy? i am concerned that the same game will be reviewed by multiple reviewers :D
I've said before that you pick whoever you want but should avoid reviewing games that have already been reviewed. It couldn't hurt to ask "Is anyone currently review __?" so that two people don't review the same game at the same time.

N

nvrogers

@Otyugra: I am strongly opposed to numerical ratings. They are far too reductive to accurately sum up a game's effectiveness and categorical scores ignore the different priorities that different games have. In addition to that, they encourage developers to look at the score and not consider the review, which is the exact opposite of what we want.

I've said before that you pick whoever you want but should avoid reviewing games that have already been reviewed. It couldn't hurt to ask "Is anyone currently review __?" so that two people don't review the same game at the same time.
That system is probably not going to work. Unless you guys have some kind of google document that any reviewer can edit at any time with a list of games and those that are already reviewed or not?

O

Otyugra

That system is probably not going to work. Unless you guys have some kind of google document that any reviewer can edit at any time with a list of games and those that are already reviewed or not?
I don't think it'll be much of a problem so I'm not going to do anything quite yet. I started your review by the way, I'll have in finished in the next few days.

Remember to write your reviews everyone, the two month deadline ends in 16 days!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, yeah, I guess I will quit. Getting mighty busy running the Jams, as well as with the other projects. ^^'

(kinda forgot about the group altogether...)

R

rui.rosario

Members:
@Aura
@rui.rosario
@Alice
@nvrogers
@roytheshort
@ThunkGames
@mazimadu
@Lukan
@FruitPunchGuy
@Zerb Games
@Sabnock

The deadline for both of your reviews is in roughly one week. (Halloween) If you fail to submit both reviews by then, you start walking down a road to getting yourself fired from the group. Don't be afraid to quit if you find you can't keep up with the easy deadlines.
Ah, yeah, I guess I will quit. Getting mighty busy running the Jams, as well as with the other projects. ^^'

(kinda forgot about the group altogether...)
I guess I will quit as well.
I think I'm going to board the "quit train"

O

Otyugra

As you all wish. If you sign up to write two reviews per two months, actually attempt to write two reviews every two months please. I'm very disappointed.

R

rui.rosario

As you all wish. If you sign up to write two reviews per two months, actually attempt to write two reviews every two months please. I'm very disappointed.
Well, personal life does not always allow for things to go according to plan, any person would be able to relate to that and should avoid commenting on what they do not know about (of course showing a bit of emotion doesn't hurt anyone)

O

Otyugra

Well, personal life does not always allow for things to go according to plan, any person would be able to relate to that and should avoid commenting on what they do not know about (of course showing a bit of emotion doesn't hurt anyone)
There is "life getting in the way" and then there are excuses. I strongly doubt any of them didn't have the opportunity for 60 days straight to write two reviews. It's disrespectful to me to waste my time, and right now you're also being disrespectful. Like it or not, I have a right, and even good odds in my favor based on personal experience, to make assumptions about whether or not the members had the chance to do as I asked of them.

R

rui.rosario

It's disrespectful to me to waste my time, and right now you're also being disrespectful. Like it or not, I have a right, and even good odds in my favor based on personal experience, to make assumptions about whether or not the members had the chance to do as I asked of them.
I apologize if I came out disrespectful, it wasn't my intention.i just wanted to point out that neither of us know about the lives of other members (in general, you can actually know the life of a few of them if you get along with them). As such, what may seem like an excuse to one may well be the truth to another.i know the reasons why I wasn't able to conduct the two reviews, and you have every right to feel bummed by investing your time into something that turned out not to give anything back, however as my previous comment might have felt disrespectful to you, so can your last comment feel disrespectful to who unfortunately had to quit. I apologize for not coming forth with my part of the membership, but hopefully it my personal reasons settle down in the future, and if you're willing to, maybe I can come back and make it up sometime.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Uh, @Otyugra, I understand that you can feel disappointed, but I feel that you are taking it too far.

You might think it's easy enough to spend a bit of free time in order to write 2 reviews in 60 days. And, assuming there's nothing else in the way, it generally is. However, sometimes people might have other ideas to spend their free time on; maybe other voluntary commutments, maybe just for fun (which is needed every once in a while). And even if there's some free time to spend, one might basically forget about these reviews, having been busy with other matters before. In my case things have been made even worse in the recent months, as I need to spend about an hour daily for a treatment of a particularly nasty disease. And an hour daily less of free time is quite a lot.

The thing is, I have signed up for the club before I knew I'd became a moderator and GMC Jam host, and as it somehow turned out, running the Jam is a pretty big commitment. I kinda expected that, so I stepped down from secretary position as soon as it became the fact, but running the Jam turned out to be interesting for sure, but also quite exhausting. After that, I pretty much forgot something like the Rad Reviewers club existed, and it didn't seem to send any reminders, either. Then, I worked for a week on some one-script game, doodled some trophies for the competition, recorded the history of the very first GMC Jam on old GMC, and now I'm running the Jam #2. Basically, when I signed up for the club, I expected these two reviews to be one of the main commitments I'd have in upcoming months, and that there would be little else beside it. Eventually, things turned out to be quite different...

The point is: it's not really nice to read a post that, indirectly, suggests I've been lazy and now I'm just making excuses. Or perhaps you would rather run the GMC Jam yourself? ^^'

M

mazimadu

If you fail to submit both reviews by then, you start walking down a road to getting yourself fired from the group....
What the heck do you mean FIRED from the group? This isn't a job nor are we getting paid for this!

N

NPT

I apologize if I came out disrespectful, it wasn't my intention.i just wanted to point out that neither of us know about the lives of other members (in general, you can actually know the life of a few of them if you get along with them). As such, what may seem like an excuse to one may well be the truth to another.i know the reasons why I wasn't able to conduct the two reviews, and you have every right to feel bummed by investing your time into something that turned out not to give anything back, however as my previous comment might have felt disrespectful to you, so can your last comment feel disrespectful to who unfortunately had to quit. I apologize for not coming forth with my part of the membership, but hopefully it my personal reasons settle down in the future, and if you're willing to, maybe I can come back and make it up sometime.
There was no need for you to apologize and you shouldn't let @Otyugra bully you into thinking you did anything wrong.

R

rui.rosario

There was no need for you to apologize and you shouldn't let @Otyugra bully you into thinking you did anything wrong.
I am aware of that, I just wanted to make clear the conversation should end there (even if it meant apologizing when I had no reason to).

F

FruitPunchGuy

I'll get a second down, then extend the current one.

EDIT: @Otyugra , finished my second review and put both of them on the reviews page.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Otyugra

What the heck do you mean FIRED from the group? This isn't a job nor are we getting paid for this!
From day one, I've reserved the right to kick people out of the group for directly not following the rules. Follow my few rules, request that I remove/add a rule, quit, or get removed. Those are your four options.

Thank you @FruitPunchGuy and yes, @SyntheticStorm9 you are now a member.

@Alice It is a privilege and not a right, to be reminded to meet the deadlines. You've known about the deadline from the beginning. I have reminded you all several times but without using the at symbol. It was your choice to accept a position as a mod knowing you had responsibilities elsewhere. I never implied any of you were lazy, which you can contrast with @NPT who directly just called me a bully.

Sabnock

apologies, can you remove me from this please. i thought i'd get round to it but haven't had time this month.

Andy

X

xleonhart

I really like to participate, but I can't, my english its not that good to make long texts :/

O

Otyugra

The deadline reset. Now everyone has a month to make up the two or one reviews that are behind them, and the new deadline for the next two reviews in the final day of the year, New Year's Eve 2016.

Don't forget to consider voting in the recent Game Jam: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-humble-gmc-jam-2-voting-topic.11658/

@nvrogers
@roytheshort
@ThunkGames
@mazimadu
@Lukan
@FruitPunchGuy
@Zerb Games
@SyntheticStorm9

EDIT: I removed the role of Vice Editor and renamed Secretary to Assistant. We still need a second person to help me.

O

Otyugra

@SyntheticStorm9
The review you posted has only 212 words and the minimal is 375 words. Please modify the review so that it at least has 300 words or I will not count it. As always thank you for writing a review.

O

Otyugra

How long did it take you to count them?
I had Microsoft Word count the words on my behalf. It took 30 seconds. I don't count the end disclaimer as part of the review, so the review is still short of the deal I made with you. I'll let it slide this time, but follow the rule next time.

M

mazimadu

Put me on suspension for now. I have a few issues I have to deal with that will have be on hiatus. When I return I will keep you posted.

O

Otyugra

@Zerb Games
@Lukan
@nvrogers
@roytheshort
@ThunkGames
All of you are removed from the group for have 3 or more reviews not submitted yet. If you want to stay in the group, private message me.

@FruitPunchGuy
@SyntheticStorm9
You two are still in the group. Thank you for your contributions to the people who upload games here, so far.

The next two reviews are due on the last day of February. Please make up your missing reviews by then.

F

FruitPunchGuy

Back!
I've been going through some School-related issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to push out three reviews before the end of February!