Game Jam (beginner/intermediate)

B

Benji3199

Hi everyone,

So... for myself I was thinking of joining a game jam and ofcourse I saw the big official "game jam" forum at the top of all forums. But after thinking if I should join or not I realised that I wouldn't even have a change to win. Not that I have to win, but there are lots and lots of beginners who want to learn how to make games and enough intermediate game makers who can make some games, but just like to practise some more.

With this I thought it would be fun to create a game maker game jam for the beginners/intermediates.

I won't reject anybody, but I like to keep it small. In this way, when someone made a cool game or just coded something you'd never think of, it would be able to ask them how they did it and we can help each other becomming a better game maker.

RULES:
- The Idea is that every week there will be a small game jam. If every week is to much, it can be adjusted to two weeks.
- Each jam will last for 2 days, on a saterday and a sunday.
- It is aloud to use an old file as start-up, but keep it as start-up. (It will be noticeable if you made it in 2 days or a week (or more))
- The theme will be picked by voting or at random (I suggest voting), themes can be suggested)
- The winner will be picked by voting. Everyone is allowed to vote, but you can't vote on your own game.
- It is allowed to team up (max persons a team 4)

Ofcourse this is a game jam, but everyone will be aloud to ask a question about how to do 'this' is a game. Also if you want to join, I expect that you want to answer some questions for the less experienced makers.

The first jam will start in 2 weeks so at the fifth of november.

After the first jam people can still join.

For entry or questions about the game jam, please reply on this topic :)

Jett

Digital Artist
I don't think this is necessary. The GMC Jam isn't for experts only or anything like that... everyone can join and it isn't mainly about the winners but about the fun and experience. If you want to learn how someone did something in their game, its simpler to just ask the creator how they did it. No need for a new jam event for this in my opinion.

As long as you don't do it at the same time as the regular GMC jam i guess it's fine :)
One of my friendly friends is starting to learn how to use game maker, perhaps I'll have her join your thing!

B

Benji3199

As long as you don't do it at the same time as the regular GMC jam i guess it's fine :)
One of my friendly friends is starting to learn how to use game maker, perhaps I'll have her join your thing!
I'm not planning to do this at the same time, so don't worry :p. Both of you are welcome if you'd like.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Personally, I don't feel a jam targeting a particular skill level is a good idea. It's not practical to define skill level. It varies depending on the particular area of programming -- such as 2D/3D, online features, physics, etc. That's why jams are usually open to everyone.

Either way, if you want to organize a game jam on the GMC forum, your first step should be contacting @Nocturne to present your idea. Alternatives to the GMC Jam are accepted if they make sense. Like the one script jam organized by @rui.rosario, for example.

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
after thinking if I should join or not I realised that I wouldn't even have a change to win.
None of us have a chance to win, and while it would be nice "winning" isn't the purpose of the GMC game jam, it's just something to actually close the lid on the event. The event itself is about having fun, pushing yourself to the limit of your capabilities and see all the cool stuff the community can make within the time frame. You're welcome to join us and have fun and see just how far you can push your beginner power!

at any rate, I think that while jams are fun jams targeting "less skilled" is maybe not appropriate, as it is entirely a matter of personality how skilled you believe you are and if you want to join. for instance I know I'm not exactly a great game designer but I know I'm a far better programmer than I'd consider "intermediate" programmers to be since I'm studying theoretical computer science and have a large breadth of languages, strategies and experience in design. Someone else might disagree with me and say that while I could design and code hexagonal A* in my sleep I am 💩💩💩💩 at making *fun* games or whatnot which makes me intermediate. I'm maybe a bit of a stretch, but I think you're limiting the appeal a bit.

Z

zircher

Side note, if I do something in a jam that folks would like to learn from or look at the code, I'd be tickled pink to share and talk about.

Just an idea to throw out there, how about a monthly themed challenge so that folks that need more time can use it. Perhaps even go so far as to ask help here on the forum instead of trying to do the 'ironman' thing.

Oh, if you want to run with this idea, you're more than welcome... Use three random icons from game-icons.net for your themes. Or, if you want a program to do that for you, http://tangent-zero.com/zero_dice/zero_dice.htm You end up with something like this...

--
TAZ

B

Benji3199

Okay, just at first. I know it's about winning, but about the fun. And for every participant it's a good test. I just thought that it would be demotivating for some if you start something when you already know you don't even have a change to win. That's why I tried to set up this game jam. It's like some of you're friends are good in a spicific game and they want you to play it too, but you don't even know the controls in the beginning. It starts fun, but will demotivate you soon when you see it's hard to master when they just continue killing you.

Also I thought the gmc jam was too big for asking questions.
Side note, if I do something in a jam that folks would like to learn from or look at the code, I'd be tickled pink to share and talk about.
I like it when I hear people are so nice, but when you really do something awesome and everyone want's to ask you. In a game jam with as many participants as gmc jam it would start to annoy me when I have to explain to so many people, but that could be just me ofcourse.

Just an idea to throw out there, how about a monthly themed challenge so that folks that need more time can use it. Perhaps even go so far as to ask help here on the forum instead of trying to do the 'ironman' thing.
I like this idea, same with that with the pictures. I'm always open for suggestions and I like it when people share their ideas with these kind of things.

Btw, I will join the gmc jam too. With my poor graphic designs I don't expect the best, but it's for the fun and I like it. If enough people will join I'll still run this project, so when you're curious to join or have any suggestions, please reply in the forum.

And for the people in the gmc jam, good luck next weekend with the jam. I can't wait to see the results