simple battle system test

D

Dengar

This is a test of a battle system im working on and id like some opinions on it.

download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zkahpb6zy6g3ymv/dengar_battle_test_v1.exe

im trying to make a simple battle engine with just a dash of strategy, probably gonna be a monster battling game of somesort. but the idea is you and the opponent have the same choices to make so the only way to beat them is through smarter choices(and ofcourse being stronger helps).

during combat you must choose to either attack,defend, or charge. at the same time the opponent choses and the result is revealed.

when you start a new battle, your type and your opponents type will be randomly selected.

Keys:
space starts battle
alt ends battle
mouse_click combat buttons

combat options:
* Attack-- - attacking cost 1 energy.
*Defend-- - blocks a certain amount of dmg.
*Charge-- - this gains you 1 energy so you can attack.

player types:
attacker --- does twice his normal damage when attacking.
defender --- blocks twice the normal amount of damage when defending.
charger --- gains twice the normal amount of energy when charging.
normal --- you gain no bonuses.

this is only the bare combat engine, but it is complete. so please overlook the funny colors :)
let me know what you think, is it too simple and boring, does it have a strategic feel, would you enjoy this as the battling system on a game? ofcourse graphics will be used, so don't bash on the looks, just the way it plays. looking for all input thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Forgeio

This is a test of a battle system im working on and id like some opinions on it.

download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zkahpb6zy6g3ymv/dengar_battle_test_v1.exe

im trying to make a simple battle engine with just a dash of strategy, probably gonna be a monster battling game of somesort. but the idea is you and the opponent have the same choices to make so the only way to beat them is through smarter choices(and ofcourse being stronger helps).

during combat you must choose to either attack,defend, or charge. at the same time the opponent choses and the result is revealed.

when you start a new battle, your type and your opponents type will be randomly selected.

Keys:
space starts battle
alt ends battle
mouse_click combat buttons

combat options:
* Attack-- - attacking cost 1 energy.
*Defend-- - blocks a certain amount of dmg.
*Charge-- - this gains you 1 energy so you can attack.

player types:
attacker --- does twice his normal damage when attacking.
defender --- blocks twice the normal amount of damage when defending.
charger --- gains twice the normal amount of energy when charging.
normal --- you gain no bonuses.

this is only the bare combat engine, but it is complete. so please overlook the funny colors :)
let me know what you think, is it too simple and boring, does it have a strategic feel, would you enjoy this as the battling system on a game? ofcourse graphics will be used, so don't bash on the looks, just the way it plays. looking for all input thanks

Well, Its a bit easy, and doesn't have a ton of strategy to it... I just pressed defend, charge, attack, and won every time with the same combination over and over again. I'm not sure what you could do to fix this, but it's a major problem and in a game it would be way too easy or way too hard if you made the enemy stats too op. Just my opinion though, definitely has potential.

D

Dengar

Well, Its a bit easy, and doesn't have a ton of strategy to it... I just pressed defend, charge, attack, and won every time with the same combination over and over again. I'm not sure what you could do to fix this, but it's a major problem and in a game it would be way too easy or way too hard if you made the enemy stats too op. Just my opinion though, definitely has potential.
thanks for checking it out. I tried your 'defend,charge,attack' method and lost the first 2 battles so im thinking you just got lucky. but right now the apponents ai does use abit of random choice to decide what there doing so im not surprised by your results, just wish I could get it to work (everytime I try to speed thru and press the same buttons I loose). it'll definatly be improved upon but my issue is this system works like tic,tac,toe meaning if the engine is too good then youd never win because the aponent will always have the perfect counter move.

you have given me something to think about :)

N

nujumkey

Can't complain if it works :D
The thing about trying to code, literally anything working without bugs is a miracle

F

Forgeio

thanks for checking it out. I tried your 'defend,charge,attack' method and lost the first 2 battles so im thinking you just got lucky. but right now the apponents ai does use abit of random choice to decide what there doing so im not surprised by your results, just wish I could get it to work (everytime I try to speed thru and press the same buttons I loose). it'll definatly be improved upon but my issue is this system works like tic,tac,toe meaning if the engine is too good then youd never win because the aponent will always have the perfect counter move.

you have given me something to think about :)
Alright, I probably did just get lucky. I really do like the engine though, I can't wait to see what kind of game you make out of it :)

D

Dengar

im kinda thinking a monster battling game like pokemon is. but obviously combat will be different and fast paced, maybe only lasting a few turns.

and the more I try the same button combinations over and over, im kinda liking it. but I always did hate slow combat.
so fast paced combat with no penelties for loosing a battle. ofcourse youd still wanna have a strong character to increase ur odds of winning but allow it to be something u can just click thru real fast. even do the combat animations to match so even there quick and to the point. hmm....it be like dueling at warp speed.