GMC Jam Discussion The Post-Apocalyptic GMC Jam #1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I expect you'll be getting a raise in your moderator's salary.
Actually, I suggested I could get a 50% salary rise to @Nocturne and he didn't say no.

Or maybe 1/n the results. 1/n+1? Normalized 1/n+1? IRV? What should we do to average the votes out? Let's discuss...
Now that's a proper voting system debate. A voting system debate isn't a voting system debate if not a single person suggests mixing voting systems together and/or voting for the voting system to choose, then wondering which voting system use to tally the voting system votes.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
when's the next jam? :3
October 28th - 31st, from noon UTC to noon UTC. You might or might not grace Benjamin Franklin with a few curse words due to the switch from Daylight Saving Time that'll happen in the middle of the Jam, potentially causing some confusion.

Aww crap I completely forgot to enter.
Maybe you want to subscribe to GMC Jam News Feed? It's been setup specifically so that people wouldn't skip the Jams because of forgetting about them. ^^'

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I think the results where pretty spot-on this time around. One suggestion, though. For the next jam, could we require people to rank all the games they play? This would solve the issue Dan had. We could also allow people to rank multiple games at the same place, so that people don't have to order all of the games if they don't want to.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I think the results where pretty spot-on this time around. One suggestion, though. For the next jam, could we require people to rank all the games they play? This would solve the issue Dan had. We could also allow people to rank multiple games at the same place, so that people don't have to order all of the games if they don't want to.
You can't oblige everybody to play every game. That's a recipe for disaster and was tried in previous jams. All you can do is encourage people to play as many as possible and hope that a majority play and rate them all.

ghandpivot

We could also allow people to rank multiple games at the same place, so that people don't have to order all of the games if they don't want to.
That's just what we're doing right now. People order all the games they want and then we default all the other games to the same rank, which is what people would have done anyways if they could set multiple titles to the same rank.

N

Nacky Slocker

However I spent so long creating the room wrapping defender mechanic that it left no time for the finer points like story or sound...

So, yeah, too ambitious!
HAHAHAHAHAH.... yeah, I remember entering that winter based competition (the one that "Frozzd" and "Garden Gnome Carnage" won) and being all wrapped up in creating a "mini-map". By the time I was done, I didn't have much time for an actual game!

I actually tried your game out, but the game jam froze and didn't save, soooo, sorry I didn't review it.
QUICK REVIEW: Very polished graphics, the gameplay was polished, but the turns didn't feel quite right. Clunky, but consistent. *Hitboxes were tight, I prefer a little more leeway (larger hitboxes). Great job Nocturne.

Also... Skein. I seriously want to know more about it, at the same time... take your time.
Please, even if the answer is "I'm taking my time" and you're just letting some ideas "bake", I'd be very interested in knowing that.

And do we have any info on the date of the next jam (Anyone)?

*Hitboxes: Not always the shape of a box. the collision detection zone of 2 objects in a game. Also known as a "Hitzone", or "collision data".

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You can't oblige everybody to play every game.
That's not what RekNepZ said... his (first) suggestion was that any game that is played & commented on also must be ranked so that you can't be selective with only giving certain games votes.

M

Miner7365

Well, i think i learned some things NOT to do during a jam, and i'll try to be back next jam..

P.S i didn't update my votes since i thought the deadline was at 12:00 at night on the 18 so yeah.... my bad...

johnwo

Now that's a proper voting system debate. A voting system debate isn't a voting system debate if not a single person suggests mixing voting systems together and/or voting for the voting system to choose, then wondering which voting system use to tally the voting system votes.

Arrow's Impossibility Theorem
proves that no ranking/voting system(even mixed ones) would possess all of the qualitative behaviors we would expect/want it to have.
Just settling on a method of ranking the entries according to votes, and sticking to it, would be the be the best way to ensure consistency; Even though it will never be optimal.

From wikipedia, on the subject: "No voting method is fair, every ranked voting method is flawed, or the only voting method that isn't flawed is a dictatorship."

Cheers!

Last edited:
O

Otyugra

I had a really fun time playing through some of the games this jam, and you all helped remind me why I love indie games so much. One reason these jams are so great is because it gives us all an opportunity to learn from each other.

I'm happy with the ranking Phantomatics got, considering the tiny window of time I had to make it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Also... Skein. I seriously want to know more about it, at the same time... take your time.
Lol! Yeah... Skein... I'm still working on it and it's about 95% done... just that last 5% is killing me! I have so much real-life work to do that when I get some dev time I'd rather go play No Man's Sky to relax... BUT IT WILL BE FINISHED BY SEPETEMBER. Seriously... Promise... Maybe...

Micah_DS

October 28th - 31st, from noon UTC to noon UTC. You might or might not grace Benjamin Franklin with a few curse words due to the switch from Daylight Saving Time that'll happen in the middle of the Jam, potentially causing some confusion.
Ah, I'm one of the unfortunate ones then. I always work the most on weekends, but I have the beginning of the week free. And I expect that every jam is going to be on weekends, so I will pretty much always have what is essentially 24 hours. But I understand that the time just can't work for everyone and my schedule is not the norm, so I'll just have to accept my fate. So with that, I've decided to pick a day between now and the next game jam and I'll try making a game within 24 hours. I might even do this multiple times. I expect that doing this will help me get a feel for it and be much more prepared. I really need to learn to give up on trying to make things perfect and efficient or 'the best thing ever' (cuz that's totally gonna happen in 24 hours.... sarcasm). That's actually one reason I tried making a game this time, because I usually think too much and keep making code more and more efficient, often rewriting an entire engine from the ground up.

But yeah, I shot WAY too high for the first jam and I still have lingering sad feelings that I'm not in the very first rebooted game jam.:( All I had to show was some music and a couple gifs of my world editor in action.

Z

zircher

Just curious, are people creating their own tombstone badges? If so, what font are you using?

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Oh, hey, a moment to pop out of the æther and say something!

So... concerning the voting system: I have this great video where a fellow named CCP Grey explains Alternative voting; maybe you've seen it? :p

joke aside, congratulations to the winners and thank you for a wonderful jam. I promise to be more active next jam when I have time to do stuff.

Also, a round of applause for @Alice for the awesome work and dedication she put into this, from someone just observing from the shadows she did a fantastic job with this being one of the more professional and well orginized Jam I've seen. That is not mentioning the gripe she saved me by including that Jam player because usually I take a long while deciding how I'm to review and rank the games. The player worked fine, only issues maybe are that placing the entry in the list and correcting can get a bit wonky. I've had some instances where the game I'm placing ended last on the list for some reason.

So, fantastic work Alice and awesome Jam everyone. Can't wait to join you next time!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Alice these are awesome. Love that you personalised each one with a drawing based on each game. :)
Haha, thanks. I generally have a habit of making personalised Jam awards since Jam 19, making some medal base more or less related to the Jam theme, and then doodling pictures for each game. For the Jam 20 I developed a quick(ish) and hacky tool that accepts entries ranking and best-ofs and assembles the medals together from medal base, picture, authors, title and position/best-of. It turned out really useful, as HayManMarc sent his last minute votes, causing a shift somewhere in the final results. ^^

Also, it's a good opportunity to do some design work (medal bases and text arrangement) and doodling practice (pictures themselves). Art isn't really my primary area of competence, but I feel like I'm improving if only a little, and pull off stuff I earlier wouldn't have courage to (this time round, I made more coloured trophies, for example) or find parts I struggled with earlier on easier somehow. Which is good, because even if I won't become a great artist (programming is still my main area), a skill to doodle a quick character or item concept is still useful, e.g. to easily convey the idea to an artist I'd collaborate with.

The guy on the right on mine looks quite happy to be hanging and bleeding out. :p
Yeah, that's some cheerful fellow here; probably one of those who stay positive no matter what and cracking bad puns all the time. I bet if he wasn't dead, he'd be asking the other guy "how's it hanging?" or something. Though with that kind of person, he might be doing that despite being dead, anyway.

johnwo

Seriously... Promise... Maybe...
Said every game-dev, ever... J/K Looking forward to Skein! :) High hopes! :D

Shoutout to @Alice for putting in the time and effort to make all this come together! (The GMCJ that is...)

We've got a superb community here. IMHO, the users are just as valuable as the admins/mods, if not more... :p
I'm really happy to have joined the forums and I'm certain that we'll achieve sentience soon... xD (j/k; Just taking a p**s) :)

Cheers!

Zerb Games

The results are out!

But first of all, I'd like to thank all of the participants and community members who made this Jam happen. Without you, your entries and your votes, it wouldn't have been such a wonderful event.

I mean, really. With 81 entries submitted during the Jam, about hundred of participants and 44 valid votes, I think we can safely claim this to be the greatest Jam we have ever had. It's really astounding what we have done here.

Now then, without further ado, the results!

Full results

Complete ranking:

1. Everything's Gone to Hell by @TehPilot, @TheFugue
  2. The Dark Within by @aamatniekss
  3. Mortal Metanoia by @Mattie, @Murzy
  4. Rest in Peace by @Blake
  5. antideath by @Yokcos
  6. ghost town by @porcupinester
  7. Lonely Drone by @GameDevDan
  8. Four Versus the World by @NAL
  9. Final Shelter by @The M
  10. The Equation of Life by @ghandpivot
  11. Jumpship Cyrus by @Brenbruyn, @harukiya
  12. GMCity Carnage by @Snail Man
  13. Scared to Death by @Ixlegraw
  14. Devil's Mansion by @Joh
  15. Last Stand by @Jett, @zminusone
  16. HackMan by @A T, SA
  17. Troubles of Post-Mortal Times by @Alice, @Mercerenies
  18. Afterstory by @David Chen, Moxxin, Adam Twite
  19. Dead Zone by @Carnivius
  20. Desert Lands by @Nallebeorn
  21. Fall Harvest Season by @BlessHayGaming
  22. Grim Reaper's Last Job by @Ehrgeiz, @Mortalo
  23. Lonely by @johnwo
  24. Dearelict by @Yal
  25. Grave Trigger by @Dark
  26. The Aftermath by @Tselmek, @zminusone
  27. The Last Ghost by @Coolbot4k
  28. The Swarm by @Fel666
  29. Pixel Paracide by @WRLCK
  30. EiD by @Nocturne
  31. The Winchester by @clemonades
  32. Noalle's Ark by @shadowspear1
  33. Death's Salesman by @zn_pete, @Daniel Navarro, @wilix95
  34. The Major Forces by @lizzard
  35. Phantomatics by @Otyugra
  36. Deadly Desire by @GhostlyFeline, @Misu
  37. Dance With Death by @nvrogers
  38. When They Come 2 by @trg601
  39. Spooky Jam by @Kepons
  40. Half Hearted by @DocNogloff
  41. The Last Space Luchador by @Siolfor the Jackal, Bandido Burrito
  42. Forgive Me For Living by @Lonewolff
  43. Bone Crusher by @chance
  44. Silent Road by @JackOatley
  45. One Last Bite by @NightOwl35
  46. Everyone is Dead by @Aviox
  47. My Dragon Pal by @Zodaris
  48. Revival Of The Undead Princess Satsuka by @Aura, @Rusty
  49. Undead Matador Deluxe by @MikeDark_x
  50. Soulgrab by @RekNepZ
  51. Clone Runners by @Cameron
  52. A Ghost Adventure by @Nexusrex
  53. Last Hope by @HayManMarc, @zminusone
  54. Alone by @CoderJoe, Awesomesauce, Dysprox
  55. Grey Fall by @Morne, Bernard, Marius
  56. The Robot And The Pharaoh by @Freddy Jones
  57. Time Travel is Hard by @guadalcanal
  58. Planet Dreth by @Mocgames998
  59. Welcome To Purgatory by @Sirham
  60. Ghost Butler by @Shadow_Lancer, @Shameless
  61. My My My Charona by @Electros
  62. Tree of Life by @Kiesenverseist
  63. Monty goes to town by @spliffium
  64. Territory Earth by @Wraithious
  65. Love is Life by @rui.rosario
  66. A long time after by @poncle
  67. Game Engine Test by @Misty
  68. Save the Last Human by @Moon Goat
  69. Ask Death by @Detective Pixel
  70. Nothing But Static by @zircher
  71. Come + See the World 50 Yrs Hence by @ConsolCWBY
  72. Nothing Ventured by @NeoTalon
  73. Regret by @Miner7365
  74. Buried At Sea by @ZombieLawyer
  75. Broken World by @Zerb Games
  76. EvoBio by @felixpf
  77. They are all DEAD, Unless... by @RustyShadow
  78. KATT by @KaShuen
  79. Everybody is Dead by @iTzCallumUK
  80. Everyone Is Dead by @dadio
  81. DEADZONE by @Cat, @var

Best-ofs:

Best use of EVERYBODY IS DEAD: Everything's Gone to Hell by @TehPilot, @TheFugue
Best Concept: The Swarm by @Fel666
Best Presentation: The Dark Within by @aamatniekss
Best Story: The Dark Within by @aamatniekss
Best Devlog: Final Shelter by @The M

Best reviewer: @Misu, for particularly detailed reviews, clearly taking quite an effort to put together
(if only you had actually sent that ranking in the end...)

Special mention goes to @ghandpivot for making a video review of every single game, as well as @TheUltimate whose feedback is particularly detailed.
Finally, I can't thank enough the people who took their time to play and comment on every single entry. The other votes are appreciated as well.

Rewards

Banners are HERE

As promised, the top 3 entries as well as best-of winners get a special, shiny banner to put in their signature.
All the other entries get their banner, too, just not as special nor shiny. In total, there are banners for all 82 entries sent for this Jam, as well as for the best reviewer.

Other Jam prizes

In addition to getting the special banners, the top 3 entrants and best-of winners will be featured in the Hall of Fame.
Furthermore, the top 3 winners will choose the themes pool for the next Jam. If the themes end up bad, it'll be their fault. ;)

Community prizes

Please don't forget to check if you aren't eligible for one of community prizes contributed to this Jam's pool, and poke the prize givers if necessary~!
(if you are the one giving away the prize, especially the one for specific entries, please contact those who should receive the prize)

The GMC Jam is officially finished!
For about 8 hours of work. I'm actually kinda proud of this. Still I'm quite sad that my project couldn't come to light. I worked on it for about 10 hours after, and made it playable and fun. Can't wait for the next game jam.

M

Morne

Thank you to all the organizers, voters, and prize givers! Thank you for giving us all a CUSTOM THRPHY SIG!

Z

zircher

Indeed, although I might have tweaked mine a bit.

Looking forward to adding to my collection. :)

Zodaris

I agree, great job on pulling this all together @Alice !! Also, love the burning house on my tombstone. :D

Thanks everyone who rated my game! I'm very happy with how well my game did considering it was my first jam. Can't wait for the next one! I'm going to do MUCH better. Maybe I'll get in the top 10. :)

aamatniekss

Finally home from the holidays.
Sent out the prizes for the top3. And since I came 2nd, I sent the prizes to 4th place instead of myself. :p :D

Reactions: Yal

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have PM'd all the users about my community prizes, so please check your PM's if you were in the top 3 or came last in the ranking... ;)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've got a total of one request for graphics, by the way, so if anyone is in the mood to claim their prizes, please PM me before the next jam starts. :p

Z

zircher

Thanks for the heads up. [I forgot that everyone qualifies.] I sent you a suggestion. I'd like to make that a public/shared resource, if you don't mind.

sylvain_l

I've got a total of one request for graphics, by the way, so if anyone is in the mood to claim their prizes, please PM me before the next jam starts. :p
newcomer question: when is the next gamejam ?

:oops: answer myself: finally found
October 28th - 31st, from noon UTC to noon UTC.

re-re-edit: would be kind a sticky with that info ;)

Last edited:
Z

zircher

Trust me, when the date gets closer, the hype train will pull out of the station. :D

R

rui.rosario

The ripples in time and space, originating from GMC Jam #2, can be sensed already...

(4 weeks left...)
Can't wait! I'll finally be back to my home PC by then, and I hope I can make a better entry than this time around (hopefully I'll actually have time)

N

Nacky Slocker

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where do we post the game jam info? I totally missed out on the One Script Game Jam. I don't want to miss out on these things! But where do I check for updates? I really don't want to miss out on another game jam.

R

rui.rosario

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where do we post the game jam info? I totally missed out on the One Script Game Jam. I don't want to miss out on these things! But where do I check for updates? I really don't want to miss out on another game jam.
The OSG Jam is in no way affiliated to the official GMC Jam or YoYo Games

Just thought of dropping that in here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.