Discussion A huge forum concern

M

Misu

* dont know which subforum this will go so i placed it in offtopic*

Ive been growing on some concerns about the forum lately.

For the past week ive been acting a bit of a mess in the forum. I realize that i was spamming the status board too much and giving likes to people crazily. I havent notice, until now, that this act is vandalism towards the forum system and other users. Realizing that my behaviour is inappropiate, i had thoughts of how other users in the forum also behave.

There are a few people here that tends to do the same as me except they take spamming to a whole new level. Its how much they take up the status board with nonsense, flooding out other important status posts by other users. Sometimes users would try posting many unrelative or pointless replies within threads in Programming and Game Developement subforums, leading to no benefit to anyone at all. And now I am seeing something new, since August, that users would abuse the "like" system by creating pointless posts just to cheat there way up to the top recognized user board. I mean sure, giving warnings to the users so they learn from their mistakes is something commonly done by mods but i still see these stuff happening anyway. Im growing very concern about this and seems like the forum is slowly transcending into a vice city. This could reflect a bad side of the community and forum.

I am actually considering to take a change to become less of a bothersome with replying intensively on status board for the sake of the forum (starting now). However, are other users are willing to take action as well? Will anyone understand such cause is bad for other users who just want to share and socialize when it comes to their projects and GM related stuff? Is there any way to avoid this type of act that is constantly growing by the day?

M

Misu

misu said:
I am actually considering to take a change to become less of a bothersome
I didnt say I was quitting... I meant that I am just reducing a bit of my obnoxious behaviour.
Plus, ive never gotten a warning here in this forum. I know what I am doing and I always learn from my mistakes before getting in trouble.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
And now I am seeing something new, since August, that users would abuse the "like" system by creating pointless posts just to cheat there way up to the top recognized user board. I mean sure, giving warnings to the users so they learn from their mistakes is something commonly done by mods but i still see these stuff happening anyway
My only comment is to say the same as I always say in these situations. Report it! As @KingdomOfGamez has graciously pointed out (and it's to his credit that there is no hard feelings and he's happy to admit that he was mistaken) action WILL be taken on this type of behaviour. We recognise that some people take things like "likes" very seriously, and it's unfair to those people that feel their points have been earned through good posts and helping other members. This is the way it _should_ be, so please report anything untoward so we can investigate. The mods cannot be everywhere at once and so rely upon the rest of the community pointing out ant-social or unfair behaviour.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I don't really see a problem, maybe it's because I'm not active enough.
I just see small annoyances that don't have a big impact, not huge problems.
We don't have huge spamming and rude trolls [anymore], and Off-Topic is mostly fitting topics. There's not MUCH spambots, the moderation team is stable and does a good job, there's no rebellious people, and so on. Giving too many likes or posting too many updates is really nothing more then a small annoyance to me. Because it gets reported, chance and Nocturne send them a PM, and voila, it's over.

TehPilot

I still believe the best way of adding a reputation/like system to forum posts is the adjective-based approach. Rather than a like or a binary +1/-1, upvoting specific categories (funny, insightful, off-topic, etc.) contributes to an overall score.

No system is impervious to abuse, but I feel no matter what the GMC has implemented, it worked out just fine. Likes serve their purpose, just as +1/-1 did.