Idea Any Story Line Ideas?

Gamerev147

So I'm in the process of making a game called Warcraze, as many of you know. There is a thread on this game already (in depth), but here is a main idea of the game so far:

You and a man named Jim wake up one day only to find that you are the only humans left un - effected by a disease called [give me a disease name!]. You have no idea how it happened, but both of you know that there is only one thing to do, survive. You roam abandoned houses finding more clues about this crazy disease that effaced human kind.

After the first "section", you start a conversation that goes something like this:
Player: I just- I can't do this anymore!
Jim: Can't do what?!
Player: I can't keep killing! I saw these people only days ago perfectly healthy, now I'm blowing their brains out!
Jim: Whoa whoa whoa, calm down! It's gonna be OK.
Player: No... No it's not! I can't do this!
Jim: Yes you can!

*Sooo yea I'm running out of ideas and need some more.. Anyone have some ideas that I can use?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Ninety

Zombie virus stories are done to death. Even just the word "zombie" is enough to drive me away from a game forever now unless it looks really exceptional. If I were you I'd try to find an original take on it to distinguish yourself from other games in the same genre.

(I know you didn't specifically mention "zombies" but you get my point, I think.)

pixeltroid

Zombie virus stories are done to death. Even just the word "zombie" is enough to drive me away from a game forever now unless it looks really exceptional.
Yup. Zombie virus films got old.

IMO paranormal zombie stories have more potential . Directors like Lucio Fulci made zombie films revolving around a paranormal theme, like "The Beyond" and "City of the Living Dead". I guess the zombies in "Doom" also fall under the paranormal zombie category.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
IMO trying to get the player to feel sorry for killing zombies is doomed to fail, nobody takes zombies seriously anymore and just see them as the ultimate cannon fodder enemy. You might as well go for a story that doesn't take itself seriously (AKA over-the-top hamminess and stuff) so the players can relate to it better.

Electros

A compelling story is hard, even more so when pacing in a game, and again for getting the player invested enough to care about the characters.

For the story to be compelling it would most likely need multiple levels, characters and other assets, which you would need to provide / create - it's probably worth mapping out the overall story arc and jotting down locations and assets to get an estimate on feasilibility and time to build, and whether you want to go down this route. (I'm running into this experience first hand for a mobile game I am working on, where I am having to do some heavy slash and burn to get down to a manageable first release!)

Another could be to take it down a more arena style / objective route, if the core fun in your game is the zombie shooting.