• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Manual (RTFM)

I have a great desire to print the entire manual. However, there still does not seem to be a sane way of doing this. This would be invaluable to me. The manual in itself Is one of the best I've seen in all fairness. But it's hard to search if you don't know what keyword to use. I have spent quite some hours coding functions that already exist manually. Later to discover the function already exists and just did not know what to call it.

It would be great to just take a soak in the bath and just browse through all the function definitions and see what I can see. The current way the manual is set up does not really cater for this as far as I can see.
I could do it one page at a time but I would never be sure I catch everything that way. Plus it would take a long time.

Any hacks or tips for this would be great.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
You can:

Also, a tip: Use intellisense to your advantage. For example, do you want to draw something? just write "draw" in the code, it will list all drawing functions.
List all mouse functions? Just type "mouse", "device" or "gui"...

D

Deleted User

Such a nostalgic feeling..this is exactly how i started to learn gml back on gamemaker 6 on 2004 or 2005 😂 i printed the whole manual and read it few times, after that i completed all dnd tutorials i could find using only gml 😊

Buth yeah, that a-z is probably the way to go, or print section by section (section by section would take a huge amount of time to print..lot of work)

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Such a nostalgic feeling..this is exactly how i started to learn gml back on gamemaker 6 on 2004 or 2005 😂 i printed the whole manual and read it few times, after that i completed all dnd tutorials i could find using only gml 😊
I used to do this when I had no internet on my computer in 2012! 😜
Good old times... (I prefer now of course)

peardox

Funnily enough there's a Survey on the Opera GX Twitter - I took it a few days ago just so I could get to the usual comments bit at the end (they had one) where I replied that I wanted at least a PDF version of the manual as the documentation doesn't make it that easy to hunt down specific things (the menu tree is a real mess)

Maybe you should go fill in the Survey and also ask for a PDF manual - enough of us do it and we may just get it

D

Deleted User

i will try to make one, this takes a looooong time :D but it is perfect if this works --->
1638564177628.png

i will report back if this is good :p (and if im allowed to share the pdf here when it is ready? or atleast i can make a guide on how to turn manual to pdf?)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
You can find the manual's HTML pages in /chm2web/YoYoStudioHelp.zip, but I wouldn't recommend printing it - "GML reference" alone contains over 2000 HTML files total (many of which are more than one page).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The tools that are used to create the manual can also create PDF files... So, file a bug report and request that the manual be made available as a PDF. 😁

Thanks for the great responses, everyone. I will file a bug report and put a link to this thread. Hopefully, that should give some weight to it.

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the great responses, everyone. I will file a bug report and put a link to this thread. Hopefully, that should give some weight to it.
i will send a pdf you can print very soon (at page 2017 now, almost done). it is a temporary solution, just so you can print the manual easily.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I don't understand this urge to read the entire Manual. Only a small fraction of it is actually used at any one time. In fact, reading the entire Manual could do more harm than good by overwhelming a beginner with content, most of which they will not actively use, to the detriment of content that they will actually use.

On another note, I also don't understand how I have the reputation for having the entire Manual, when that is something I have never done. Yes, I have parts of the Manual memorized, but only the basics. The reason I almost always seem to be able to pull stuff out is effective searching, not memorization, and PDFs don't really help with that.

Alexx

I remember the manual for GameMaker 5.3 - I printed the whole thing out, was only 60 pages!

I've been coding for a while, yet I still regularly check out various functions that I have not yet memorized, which is always useful not just for the use and coding parameters, but also for other hints and tips and things to look out for when using it - such as possible problems and things to do and not to do.

Personally, I think you would better just using the online manual - things are changed and added, so as soon as you print it it's likely to become depreciated very quickly.

D

Deleted User

i will leave this to process over night it is very late here... but it might have hit an infinite loop :D haha, welll.... 3580 pages already and no end in sight.... 😱👀:D

1638569124564.png

D

Deleted User

Haters can hate, but i think OP's main idea was to print the manual and then read and learn like from a real book (just like we read and learn on school..), i totally get it.
Point is to use digital manual as reference when coding, and printed version just as a bedtime story, not when coding.
Some people have donald duck comics on bathroom, so why not GML manual instead?

GML_2.3.7_printable.pdf
1638576444985.png
Manual sections in this pdf:
GameMakerLanguage Overview
GameMakerLanguage Reference

Pages:

Size:
17mb

Download:

@Daniel Mallett go get your bath ready, i hope this helps ☺:banana::duck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haters can hate, but i think OP's main idea was to print the manual and then read and learn like from a real book (just like we read and learn on school..), i totally get it.
Point is to use digital manual as reference when coding, and printed version just as a bedtime story, not when coding.
Some people have donald duck comics on bathroom, so why not GML manual instead?

GML_2.3.7_printable.pdf
View attachment 44677
Manual sections in this pdf:
GameMakerLanguage Overview
GameMakerLanguage Reference

Pages:

Size:
17mb

Download:

@Daniel Mallett go get your bath ready, i hope this helps ☺:banana::duck:
Hi Xennroth, I tried to download the manual but when i click the mediafire link, the mediafire page writes: "
Something appears to be missing…
The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire."

Why?

Thank you.

D

Deleted User

Hi Xennroth, I tried to download the manual but when i click the mediafire link, the mediafire page writes: "
Something appears to be missing…
The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire."

Why?

Thank you.
I need to reupload it. I will do it later today when i get home.

D

Deleted User

gnysek

I remember the manual for GameMaker 5.3 - I printed the whole thing out, was only 60 pages!
I still have it and I must admit that printing it was a great idea, as this way I found out some functions, which otherwise I could try to write on my own and fail :p

However, nowadays there's few sections of manual which can be skipped for sure. I have lack of time, but preparing a shortlist of GMS function with their one-line description (kind of cheatsheet) would be awesome!

Last edited: