OFFICIAL Community Showcase Contest - Winners!

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
During the Community Showcase Contest you all uploaded over 500 games to GXC. We selected 45 of those games that stood out in the below categories and it's our pleasure to award each of the following game creators a $1,000 cash prize! You can play all these games in your browser on the recently launched GXC.

Congratulations to all the winners! GXC launching is only the start of competitions from GameMaker and Opera GX. We will be running more events (such as Game Jams) to help reward you for your hard work developing amazing games with GameMaker.

THE WINNERS
You can see all the winning games listed on GXC: https://gxc.gg/best-of-winners

ACTION
ELI
Gulp
Magialt's Kansas Panic!
Toroom
ENYO Arcade GX

PUZZLE
Layers
Quaterneo
Pushy Worm Classic
Flow
Starless Umbra

PLATFORM
Grapple Tongue
iZBOT2
In the Hall of the Copper King
Jumpin' Jac Dash
BibiQuest

ARCADE
Signal Boosters
Space Gang
GOSPACE
Star Miner
Sympathy for the Level

ART DIRECTION
Loretta Demo
Jester's Helper
Just Passing
Rev
The exact moment

SOUNDTRACK
JetPack Jack
Super Stacker
Pagefault
MESH
Maddening Euphoria

ENGAGING
Supersonic Fever
Lineoff
HyperVelocity
Ecila
TOPAD: Obligation

MULTIPLAYER
No Internet Planet
The Race Factory - GX Edition
UFO Janitorial Services
KOKOSY
Glitch Attack Arcade

LEVEL DESIGN
Epolevne
Won't You Be My Laser?
ASTROFROG
Seth's Slide Em Up!
Life in the Static

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
OMG OMG OMG! Best Soundtrack for Mesh!?!?!?! I'LL TAKE IT!

And congrats to all the others on that list too! Well done everyone!!!! :banana:

Oh, and on behalf of the community, thank you to both YoYo Games and Opera for this (and future) opportunities. Honestly, I'm really impressed with the GX export, how easy setting up and using the GXC extension has been, and the GXC itself. It's been a really smooth and worthwhile user experience as far as I'm concerned and it's obvious that the team that's been working on the GXC are passionate about it and want to make it work... since the first time I uploaded something to now there has been nothing but improvements and I can't wait to see what new features are on their way. :)

Last edited:

peardox

Opera GX doesn't appear to have an "Open in new tab" option which makes looking at all the entries less user-friendly

O.Stogden

As in right click on a game and select open in new tab from context menu
It doesn't support running games in another tab I believe. As the game is run in an entirely separate window that is not a browser window. The only way to play games is to click the play game button, where it'll boot a separate app to run the game.

As far as general functionality for opening other pages (not games), then it can open other tabs exactly the same as Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc.

Miura Aran

Has any of the winners been able to receive the prize or a notification about when the prizes are going to be sent? I got contacted about it but when I gave my data I couldn't get a reply. Maybe it just got delayed, which is understandable, but I wanted to make sure that was the case and not that my email didn't reach or something like that 😅

Thanks in advance and congratulations to all the winners!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Has any of the winners been able to receive the prize or a notification about when the prizes are going to be sent? I got contacted about it but when I gave my data I couldn't get a reply. Maybe it just got delayed, which is understandable, but I wanted to make sure that was the case and not that my email didn't reach or something like that 😅

After sending my details I got a follow up email saying thanks and that payment would be made, but that it may take a while... I would follow up your initial contact to make sure everything is okay if you didn't get that reply. Certainly no harm in it!

Miura Aran

After sending my details I got a follow up email saying thanks and that payment would be made, but that it may take a while... I would follow up your initial contact to make sure everything is okay if you didn't get that reply. Certainly no harm in it!
I actually sent them an email a week ago to verify if my details were received correctly, and got no response :( which is odd because they did respond to my first email thanking them for the notification about being one of the winners. I suppose my last two emails got lost and they will get back to me when the payment is made. Thank you for sharing your experience! :D

Traveller

I think communication with the winners could be much better. We (Red Screen Soft) only received the request for bank details and days later a response stating that the process could take "a few weeks".

Regarding bank details, we were not informed about possibilities of receipt (in our case, we are not US residents, for example), as well as they did not confirm to us if what we sent was valid.

We've been "in the dark" for 15+ days, and the event ended almost a month ago. I fully understand the bureaucracy involved in this, but the lack of feedback seems to me to be incompatible with the the size of the company.

On the other hand, it also sends the wrong message that the platform is prioritizing only the audience.

O.Stogden

@Dotto Meister I wouldn't worry about the Non-US thing as neither YYG nor Opera are American.

YYG is British and Opera is a Norwegian company.

I sent them both my local banking details and the bank numbers required for international transfers, and like Nocturne, received a message saying that they had received them, but it'd take a few weeks to process prizes due to the amount of paperwork involved.

Not sure what further communication would be other than "we're working on it".

Traveller

@Dotto Meister
Can I ask a question? As a winner do you have the possibility to remove your game from the platform? Or it must remain there?
Hi Mehdi,

For this specific event (community showcase contest) the regulation says:
6. GRANT OF RIGHTS
By participating in this Contest, the Entrant grants to Sponsor, Sponsor’s licensees and assigns, a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, distribute, and display Entrant’s Submission in whole or in part and otherwise exploit the Submission in all media now known or hereafter devised throughout the universe in any way Sponsor sees fit related to the Contest, its operation, and its advertising and promotion. [...]
In the case of other awards, I believe there will be their own regulations, but then only a staffer will be able to confirm you.

@Dotto Meister I wouldn't worry about the Non-US thing as neither YYG nor Opera are American.

YYG is British and Opera is a Norwegian company.
As said, it was just an example. But like the case above, the regulation has details regarding this:
11. PRIZE CONDITIONS
[...] Winners are responsible for all local, state, and federal taxes. For U.S. residents, the value of the Prizes will be treated as income to the Winners and a 1099 will be issued for any Prize valued at $600 or more. [...]

Anyway, "banking details" is very subjective and can have different implications.

I sent them both my local banking details and the bank numbers required for international transfers, and like Nocturne, received a message saying that they had received them, but it'd take a few weeks to process prizes due to the amount of paperwork involved.

Not sure what further communication would be other than "we're working on it".
6. GRANT OF RIGHTS
[...] Entrant (and any Team members who contributed to the Submission) will sign any necessary documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights the Entrant is granting Sponsor and others in the Section. [...]
IMO this is a very relevant point that was not even mentioned. It might not be necessary, but it might be, and I don't know about you but for us it would be really frustrating to receive this request "a few weeks" later.

O.Stogden

@Dotto Meister The point #11 I think is just saying that although it's a "competition" with a "prize" it's counted as "professional income" not as a literary award. They use the US as an example, as I presume they expected most entrants to come from there, but each country will have its own process.

In the UK at least, certain Literary awards are exempt from income tax, so you don't have to pay the government any of it. In this instance, when you receive the $1000, you will have to declare it to your government and pay them tax on it, as it's classed as job income, not a prize win like the lottery.

Banking details should include your IBAN/BIC as these are necessary for international electronic bank transfers. It's a standardized system worldwide. You wouldn't send them your credit card number or PIN, but they will require your bank account number, your international code and sort code, which should be included in the IBAN you can get from your bank.

If you've submitted your game to Steam, then you will likely have already gone through tax forms with them and also supplied your IBAN, as that is also how Steam pays games on its platform.

Last edited:

Mehdi

@milleson
A question: As winner, do the developers have the right to remove their games from the platform? Or it must remain there?

Last edited:

Traveller

@O.Stogden
Here the SWIFT code is mostly used, but there are simpler ways (and with less fees) to receive in foreign currency, at least if the local government does not restrict it.

In the case of Steam, the membership form already implies the use of IBAN/SWIFT, but this was not explained here and perhaps not everyone is used to dealing with international receipts or, on the contrary, is used to using other means.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hey folks, yes - sorry about the slow movement on payment. Finance hit a few roadblocks and juggling around 45 winners has been a learning experience for us 😅 things ARE progressing and we're hoping to have winners paid asap. Thanks for your patience while we get this done.

RE: Removing your game. You certainly have the right to do this at anytime. Even if you are a winner. I would just ask if there is a specific reason/issue/concern around the platform that is the reason for removal then you let us know and we can do our best to address it! If it's about payments then again, I'm sorry and hopefully this is resolved for everyone soon!

Mehdi

@rmanthorp
Do you knows how can I play a short video in a game developed for Opera GX? I know there are video playback extensions in Marketplace but none are developed for Opera.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@rmanthorp
Do you knows how can I play a short video in a game developed for Opera GX? I know there are video playback extensions in Marketplace but none are developed for Opera.
Best I can tell there is no way atm for doing this, there are plans to support video playback but nothing that will be available short term. GX target is still fairly young so some growing pains until we've managed to catch up some of the expected features 🙏

Mehdi

Best I can tell there is no way atm for doing this, there are plans to support video playback but nothing that will be available short term. GX target is still fairly young so some growing pains until we've managed to catch up some of the expected features
🙏
Thank you.

Is it possible to have an extra day for November Contest? I dont have enough time to do final tweaks. and I really want to take part in this competition. 🙏

Attachments

gnysek

Not only you, I've uploaded my game just few hours ago while I still wanted to add few things more (especially graphics lacks of details, mostly contours).

Mehdi

Not only you, I've uploaded my game just few hours ago while I still wanted to add few things more (especially graphics lacks of details, mostly contours).
So please lets ask the Opera and GMS guys to give at least a 24 hours extra time.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Submissions have closed and the games are being judged for the November upload contest. However, if your game is already uploaded you are welcome to make updates and tweaks and hopefully they will be in before the judging team get to your entry!

O.Stogden

Just wanted to check, have others received their $1000 prize yet?

I sent my IBAN/BIC to Opera marketing over a month ago, and received an email 2 weeks ago asking for my home address as it's required, presumably for paperwork/tax reasons. And was told the payment should go through within a week. But still nothing...

I presume at this point we're looking at a January date as I doubt things will be moving during the holidays?