OFFICIAL GXC is Here! For Creators and Gamers

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hello GameMakers,

Working in collaboration with Opera GX, we are delighted to share with you: GXC - a place to play, share and discover amazing games. Export your GameMaker game to GXC for free with 1-click publishing, to get instant feedback during development. We want to empower creators like you and show the world the great games being made with GameMaker.

INTRODUCTING GXC
Opera GX has an audience of 10 million gamers that are hungry to see and play all these new titles on the web. You can take a look at all the games already available by visiting GXC at https://gxc.gg/.

It’s easy to publish your GameMaker game on GXC, just select the “Opera GX” target when exporting. Watch the tutorial and set up your games on DevCloud: https://dc.gxc.gg. It’s also a great way to get fast feedback on early stage game releases. Read the Helpdesk to learn all that you can do as a GXC creator.

COMMUNITY SHOWCASE COMPETITION
Along with the launch of the new platform, we are delighted to announce the winners of the Community Showcase Competition. 45 awesome games each won a $1000 prize! This is only the start for GXC and GameMaker competitions. There will be Game Jams using GXC, allowing you to win money and get your games featured to millions of gamers and gaming influencers.

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
GXC will also feature a Challenge of the Week. A game will be picked by the GXC team, influencers or creators, and made the featured game. Players will win prizes for high scores! Our first Challenge is from the game HyperVelocity and starts on November 8th!

The launch of GXC is just the beginning. Planned updates include testing of new monetization options with a virtual currency and incentivized ads that support creators.
We can’t wait to see your game on GXC!

Happy GameMaking.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
The launch of GXC is just the beginning. Planned updates include testing of new monetization options with a virtual currency and incentivized ads that support creators.
Can't wait to see the huge fluid of poorly made clone games so lazy people can make bank off of ADs

But that is a really cool thing for serious indies, I still Feel the GXC is clunky and awkward to use

Edit: DONT MAKE THE VIRTUAL CURRENCIES ABLE TO BE NFTS

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
But that is a really cool thing for serious indies, I still Feel the GXC is clunky and awkward to use
Hey @EvanSki, my name is Jimmy and part of the GXC team! We are still working to improve the service by adding more features and streamlining the flow for both creators and players. Do you have anything specific you would like to highlight that we can improve, feel free to be as direct as you want if something really sucks :D

Can't wait to see the huge fluid of poorly made clone games so lazy people can make bank off of ADs
We will be featuring many types of games, but primarily games that the community/we like. So hopefully you'll mostly see a lot of nice games from various creators!

Stra

We will be featuring many types of games, but primarily games that the community/we like. So hopefully you'll mostly see a lot of nice games from various creators!
I'm hoping for a curator vetting process or something like users voting a game in or voting it out or any other ideas of that sort that would prevent 100 kiddie-made "games" from popping up every day.

Chaser

Blockchain,please tell me you are going to offer other alternatives of receiving payments then just blockchain methods.
With incentivised ads, are we likely to see GXC users be asked to pay a premium for ad free gaming? Will It be optional for the dev to have ads on their games? Or will it be obligated?

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Hey @EvanSki, my name is Jimmy and part of the GXC team! We are still working to improve the service by adding more features and streamlining the flow for both creators and players. Do you have anything specific you would like to highlight that we can improve, feel free to be as direct as you want if something really sucks :D
The section where you manage your game you've uploaded doesn't explain what's public and what's only for your eyes well,
Theirs public, live and private, with sliders for both? Just give me a button or a simple check box that says if its public for anyone on the internet or not
I couldn't find the link to where I've uploaded my game either

It would be really great to make these options clearer and presented better

feel free to be as direct as you want if something really sucks :D
The color scheme is terrible, lmao, dark blue and neon green make the neon green really hard on eyes,
This really isnt a big issue, at least not for me
but have wep page options to change the colors (like dark and light mode) would be nice

Thanks for reaching out, I look forward to seeing how this develops and improves

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Fun. Hope this goes well for you guys. I'll probably throw up any post-jam games I make there just for the storage of it, but I hope this will turn out less like the yoyosandbox v2 and more like a proper game platform. :)

In related notes: how do I change the name of my "studio" from "mmagnusson studio" to something a bit less generic?

Stra

So I tried 3 games and they all had a problem while exiting them, their full screen window was lingering around, I had to close it manually.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The section where you manage your game you've uploaded doesn't explain what's public and what's only for your eyes well,
Theirs public, live and private, with sliders for both? Just give me a button or a simple check box that says if its public for anyone on the internet or not
I couldn't find the link to where I've uploaded my game either
@EvanSki Thanks! Really valuable. Always tricky since we stare at it all day to get an outsider/first view perspective. Will rethink a bit how we present it to make it clearer all around w.r.t. what is published, and some ways to filter/easily view from home page as well.

The color scheme is terrible, lmao, dark blue and neon green make the neon green really hard on eyes,
This really isnt a big issue, at least not for me
but have wep page options to change the colors (like dark and light mode) would be nice
Hehe, got it! I agree on the readability POV, we are not deadset on all the colors and likely will experiment a bit with it going forward.

W.r.t. dark/light mode, this is something we are looking into as well. Web page is designed in a way to support theming so once we are happy with the initial color we can start looking into more colors.

So I tried 3 games and they all had a problem while exiting them, their full screen window was lingering around, I had to close it manually.
@Stra There is some issues with some games not closing properly, we are working to address this (old version of runner had some issues that has since been fixed, but need to apply fix for already uploaded games).

If you are on Mac, then there is another issue atm we are fixing, which is maybe what you are talking about. Will post here again when resolved!

Issue resolved, if anyone was on Mac and had issue please make sure to get latest Opera GX 80.0.4170.91.

In related notes: how do I change the name of my "studio" from "mmagnusson studio" to something a bit less generic?
@Mr Magnus it's in DevCloud, in topbar there is a studio section, from there you can change the name to anything you like!

Last edited:

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I believe that's the official way at the moment, F11 and close. My grandma would have to pull the power cable.
Official way is for game to call `game_end()` which will close the game without having to press F11. However some games don't do this (or they do and have old runner with bug that makes it fail).

Since we can't force game to implement `game_end()` likely we will have some alternative way to quit game that doesn't involve F11 + Close window.

Chaser

You don't need 'game_end' for a Browser game. You just close the browser manually. You have to do that for every browser game, not just the GXC. :)

You don't need 'game_end' for a Browser game. You just close the browser manually. You have to do that for every browser game, not just the GXC. :)
Have you played a GXC game? The ones that are bugged are full screen with no way to quit (besides forcing the quit through whatever means you might normally have to force-quit a program that won't close).

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Have you played a GXC game? The ones that are bugged are full screen with no way to quit (besides forcing the quit through whatever means you might normally have to force-quit a program that won't close).
@RefresherTowel If you are on Windows then F11 should minimise even when game crashes (if it doesn't please let me know), at which point you can close the window. On Mac it's a bit worse (recent issue that we noticed right before the launch), however fix on it's way.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I've noticed it auto scales up your game to fit full screen in the browser as well, really annoying if you are trying to keep a res style

Alexx

Agreed. All my games offer the option to play in Windowed or Fullscreen.
This automatic fullscreen needs to be addressed,

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The normal calls should work (at least last time I checked they did) for moving between full screen and windowed mode so that should be intact - GXC games always start in full screen, when run from the GXC.

When testing we do not have access to the API that opens the window and switches between full-screen and windowed so we cannot test with that. Let us know if you have any problems.

Russell

@RefresherTowel If you are on Windows then F11 should minimise even when game crashes (if it doesn't please let me know), at which point you can close the window. On Mac it's a bit worse (recent issue that we noticed right before the launch), however fix on it's way.
My 0.02$
If programmers are not aware of that, you cannot realistically expect a casual user to know these kinds of tricks. When this stuff happens to me, this is a surefire way for me to go ''**** that buggy platform with no quality control, I won't put by beautiful gaming/work rig through that thing again!''.
Just to be clear, this hasn't happened to me with Opera, but I'm just saying: if I'm like that, there's a bunch of people like that, too.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Agreed. All my games offer the option to play in Windowed or Fullscreen.
This automatic fullscreen needs to be addressed,
@Alexx It's part of the features we are looking into. For windowed mode, how would you like it to work? I imagine that we have an option in DevCloud that allows creator to specify this, but what kind of options would you like to see there when configuring window mode? Such as width/height, aspect ratio, etc..

My 0.02$
If programmers are not aware of that, you cannot realistically expect a casual user to know these kinds of tricks. When this stuff happens to me, this is a surefire way for me to go ''**** that buggy platform with no quality control, I won't put by beautiful gaming/work rig through that thing again!''.
Just to be clear, this hasn't happened to me with Opera, but I'm just saying: if I'm like that, there's a bunch of people like that, too.
@Slow Fingers Noted, and I agree with you. We need to make the experience of exiting the game a lot clearer. IMO a bit funny (or sad?) that one of the main usability issues is exiting a game :D

I'd like to see Online High Score table hosting for GXC games. I can't get my game to talk to AlterVista, no matter how much I smoothtalk my htaccess file.
GXC has support for leaderboards (called "challenges"), take a look at this page to learn more

E.g. take a look at this game that is making use of that already

Alexx

I'd like to see Online High Score table hosting for GXC games. I can't get my game to talk to AlterVista, no matter how much I smoothtalk my htaccess file.
Yeah, had to remove time trials from TRF because of the issue with web servers communicating.

It has a built in challenge feature, allowing you to save score (or pretty much any other numerical variable) from your game, along with the player's usename. You can decide whether this an upper limit (best score) or a lower limit (fastest time in 1000's of a second). You can read how implement here: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408214631697

Mr Magnus

Viking King
ooh, sounds like a market. I've been wanting to make a highscore/analytic service for game maker games. Remind me if I ever get around to it to ping you.

@Slow Fingers Noted, and I agree with you. We need to make the experience of exiting the game a lot clearer. IMO a bit funny (or sad?) that one of the main usability issues is exiting a game :D
Actually, it used to be one of the main thing they tested in those 'test-user labs' way back. It actually took a while to get a standard File -> Exit thing to quit programs. In the 90's and the 2000s, quite a lot of apps still had a dedicated "Exit" button right on the top bar (fear of users getting forever stuck in their app, I guess?!). No wonder why Alt-F4 is the only F-key thing everyone is able to remember, it used to be quite useful when you couldn't find that darn Exit button! 😂

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I can't get my game to talk to AlterVista, no matter how much I smoothtalk my htaccess file.
Forgot to answer this point. So, atm we don't allow calling any 3rd party website from within the game, since it's easy to be abused (since any 3rd party can be called). If we reintroduce this it will be based on whitelisted domains that likely will have to be manually reviewed.

Miss on my side, corrected below by @Mr Magnus.

Last edited:

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@milleson ahem, you missed my post about payment alternatives?

Blockchain,please tell me you are going to offer other alternatives of receiving payments then just blockchain methods.

With incentivised ads, are we likely to see GXC users be asked to pay a premium for ad free gaming? Will It be optional for the dev to have ads on their games? Or will it be obligated?
@Chaser We don't have too much more to share atm, however what I can say is that virtual currency mentioned in the post is not specifically blockchain/crypto. E.g. think of it more like your steam wallet or similar service, i.e. currency you can use within GXC.

And w.r.t ads, plan is to have this optional and up to creators. And there will likely be certain restrictions what you can do with ads as well to limit any abusive behaviour.

But again, more news later on this, but the goal is to provide multiple ways to allow creators to monetise and let the creator decide what fits them.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Forgot to answer this point. So, atm we don't allow calling any 3rd party website from within the game, since it's easy to be abused (since any 3rd party can be called). If we reintroduce this it will be based on whitelisted domains that likely will have to be manually reviewed.
That's simply not true. My game talks to my web server with no issues at all, and last I checked I am not affiliated with Opera. As long as you've configured your CORS headers correctly on the server side GX will happily send requests back and forth just like any browser, within or without the game. As evidence I point to the fact that there is someone other than me on those high score leaderboards, which means at least one POST request was sent by my game to my server and that server properly served it.

Game Maker's HTTP requests work just fine if you do the proper setup. It's not that you don't allow calling third party websites, but that the browser (like all browsers) enforces CORS restrictions which can be a real pain to circumvent if you don't control the server response.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Is there any ETA or roadmap as to when the monetization features will be implemented and tested?

@milleson
Some feedback just from watching the setup video linked in the OP is that I'm not a fan of the requirement to set OperaGX as the default browser to have it open correctly from the IDE.
It'd be much better if it could work like the HTML5 export where you can directly target the browser to open with (in this case OperaGX) regardless of the system default browser.

Last edited:

Slyddar

E.g. take a look at this game that is making use of that already
After going to that game, and pressing the sign in button up top right, entering my details, attempting to login with my opera account, this page appeared.
EDIT: Tried again with another game and it let me in. Not ideal though.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Oh! Awesome!

I like the small, easy-to-remember domain.
I hope to be able to release a game on this platform someday.

Last edited:
And w.r.t ads, plan is to have this optional and up to creators. And there will likely be certain restrictions what you can do with ads as well to limit any abusive behaviour.

But again, more news later on this, but the goal is to provide multiple ways to allow creators to monetise and let the creator decide what fits them.
@milleson I understand if you're not able to answer a question like this right now, but: Will it be acceptable to have like an ad supported or demo version of a game up on GXC that advertises an ad free, stand alone, and/or full version of a game that might be up on another platform like Steam or Itch.io or something to that effect?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
@milleson I understand if you're not able to answer a question like this right now, but: Will it be acceptable to have like an ad supported or demo version of a game up on GXC that advertises an ad free, stand alone, and/or full version of a game that might be up on another platform like Steam or Itch.io or something to that effect?
It's an interesting idea, but I'm afraid that GXC will mostly become an outreach platform...
Maybe it's viable if they (developers) don't abuse it too much.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
@EvanSki Thanks! Really valuable. Always tricky since we stare at it all day to get an outsider/first view perspective. Will rethink a bit how we present it to make it clearer all around w.r.t. what is published, and some ways to filter/easily view from home page as well.

Hehe, got it! I agree on the readability POV, we are not deadset on all the colors and likely will experiment a bit with it going forward.

W.r.t. dark/light mode, this is something we are looking into as well. Web page is designed in a way to support theming so once we are happy with the initial color we can start looking into more colors.

@Stra There is some issues with some games not closing properly, we are working to address this (old version of runner had some issues that has since been fixed, but need to apply fix for already uploaded games).

If you are on Mac, then there is another issue atm we are fixing, which is maybe what you are talking about. Will post here again when resolved!

Issue resolved, if anyone was on Mac and had issue please make sure to get latest Opera GX 80.0.4170.91.

@Mr Magnus it's in DevCloud, in topbar there is a studio section, from there you can change the name to anything you like!
Their should be an option to follow other members, Why can I not follow @Nocturne so I know when he's uploaded a new GXC game?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Is there any ETA or roadmap as to when the monetization features will be implemented and tested?

@milleson
Some feedback just from watching the setup video linked in the OP is that I'm not a fan of the requirement to set OperaGX as the default browser to have it open correctly from the IDE.
It'd be much better if it could work like the HTML5 export where you can directly target the browser to open with (in this case OperaGX) regardless of the system default browser.
You do not need to setup Opera GX as the default browser, if you have it installed in the default locations it should be found by GMS on both Mac and Windows

Russell

It's an interesting idea, but I'm afraid that GXC will mostly become an outreach platform...
Maybe it's viable if they (developers) don't abuse it too much.
I'd envision like a two way street where maybe a GXC version of the game says something like "Full or ad free stand alone version available on Steam" and then the Steam page says something like "Free ad supported or demo browser version available on GXC".

rIKmAN

You do not need to setup Opera GX as the default browser, if you have it installed in the default locations it should be found by GMS on both Mac and Windows

Russell
Ah okay that's good to know, I haven't tested it but was just going off what was said in the setup video I watched in the OP which was that if you didn't set it as system default then it'd fail to open in the regulat browser and you'd have to manually copy/paste the URL from there into OperaGX.

Glad that's not the case.

Sad

Hoping for the best for the platform :) If I might suggest, I think it would be nice to have a community forum (like this one) internal to the GXC itself, where people can hangout/discuss/or advertise their games or holding community event. Would be even better if that forum is integrated with GXC/Opera account, for example you could peek at the user's challenges etc

My GX.games uploads: Galaxy, WAR, Sudoku
Like, Share, Subscribe

Last edited:
D

Deleted User

@milleson
i tested the security on gxc, results:

games can be downloaded (runner.wasm and runner.data).
games can be decompiled to get most of the original sourcecode.

i can send the info on how to do it to yoyo staff or you if you want, so you can check if there is anything to be done to block this. reported as bug ticket 190744

maybe .htaccess does the trick? idk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
@milleson
i tested the security on gxc, results:

games can be downloaded (runner.wasm and runner.data).
games can be decompiled to get most of the original sourcecode.

i can send the info on how to do it to yoyo staff or you if you want, so you can check if there is anything to be done to block this. (not gonna share the info with other users so dont even ask, only to staff)

maybe .htaccess does the trick? idk.
Send a bug report and leave your email or way of contacting you if they have follow up questions. Security issues probably should go trough official channels.

Last edited:

Toque

So Im trying to install Opera GX on a mac/ Catalina. I have opera.

I download and click on the installer and I get

"The application "opera GX installer" can't be opened."

Any thought how I get past this...?? Thanks

gnysek

11927 users already tried first challenge, nice (and there's no scores of 0.00s until 11891th place, so seems that there's nearly no bots, who just enters page and does nothing).

Last edited: