OFFICIAL 2.3.6 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.6.595 Runtime v2.3.6.464 (Oct 28, 2021)

2.3.6 introduces a new design to the Start Page and the concept of Template projects (which you can turn your own projects into if you wish), plus support for a new Filters layer in the Room Editor which allows you to quickly and easily add special effects into your games! As well as the new things, it brings a lot of stability fixes in the IDE, such as changing the default renderer on Windows to Direct3D and stopping a fair number of crashes throughout the IDE.

In-game, it fixes a number of issues with precise collisions (especially with scaled-up small sprites) on all targets and also resolves a number of issues with the new OperaGX target we released in 2.3.5, so now your OperaGX games can do more and will work better.

Please note there is also a bit of clean-up of old code and variable/event names, so please see the important changes section below in case any of this applies to you and so you now need to tweak your code slightly.

There are of course also a number of important bug fixes, so of course do also read the rest of the release notes carefully.

Note that this stable release does not include the Ubuntu IDE beta, and anyone interested in that should see the "How to get Betas" FAQ on the Helpdesk as per normal.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Last edited by a moderator:

Cpaz

"...Indie and Enterprise users now have early access to the new "Filters and Effects" feature..."

Is it correct? Even in the stable release? What about permanent licence holders?
It's noted in the announcement thread that it'll come to everyone "later".

But yeah, I don't like this. It feels like testing the waters of how they can quickly transition permanent license holders.

I figured that would happen a least a year after subscriptions were introduced, but only around a few months after their initial release? Too soon man, too soon.

Full disclosure, however, I understand the eventual phase out of permanent licenses. It's the matter of timing which irks me.

Last edited:

kingyo

Thanks for the various improvements in the version update.
Unfortunately, pressing Ctrl + T in the room editor doesn't open the Goto window as I was expecting. Instead, a new tilemap layer is created.

Mehdi

It's noted in the announcement thread that it'll come to everyone "later".

But yeah, I don't like this. It feels like testing the waters of how they can quickly transition permanent license holders.

I figured that would happen a least a year after subscriptions were introduced, but only around a few months after their initial release? To soon man, to soon.

Full disclosure, however, I understand the eventual phase out of permanent licenses. It's the matter of timing which irks me.
So sad. :( I have been waiting for this feature for a long time and I'm an old licence holder of game maker studio. It is very disappointing that I am not allowed to use some feature despite the fact that I have paid for the windows/mac and android/iOs platforms.

Dear staff of Yoyo. Thank you for all your efforts, But this is not a kind practice at all.!

Cpaz

So sad. :( I have been waiting for this feature for a long time and I'm an old licence holder of game maker studio. It is very disappointing that I am not allowed to use some feature despite the fact that I have paid for the windows/mac and android/iOs platforms.

Dear staff of Yoyo. Thank you for all your efforts, But this is not a kind practice at all.!
Again, I want to reiterate, you'll still get these features.
Just a little later than the rest.

Again, it's the precedent that's frustrating more than anything.

dT_

Garbage Collection: Structs are now garbage-collected properly when calling "delete" on them

Sadly, but no. Low FPS fixed, but RAM still stays high. Ticket #188176.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm an enterprise user and filter are still not available, logged out and fresh installed. What's wrong ?
file a ticket with your account details and we will take a look at what is going on - please attach your license.plist from your %appdata%\GameMakerStudio2\<username> directory

Russell

jonjons

Its just this...

At launch Filters and Effects will be a feature available to Indie & Enterprise subscriptions. After release this feature will be updated with the ability to create your own Filter and Effects. Following this update, a selection of preset Filters and Effects will become available for everyone to use, even free! The ability to create your own and a choice from a wider selection of presets will only be available to subscribers.

Access to GameMaker Studio 2 is free for all, but in order for this to work, some major features will only be available to subscribers. Other features will be available for all, but will be released to subscribers first for early access. Upgrades are still available, so please consider this if you are interested in new features. We will continue to provide access, support, and updates for free to all users.
Yep its a bye-bye...

D

Deleted User

great work on 2.3.6 @rwkay @Dan :D đź‘Ť and the new start page looks great, a lot better than the old one.

one question:
did something change on font handling from 2.3.5->2.3.6?

i did not change anything on my code, but the fonts act wierd now.
it shows wrong font on my xy debug when i start game, but after i define the font second time on somewhere else (in console on this instance), it turns to normal.

screenshot:
1635442509760.png

i will investigate more tomorrow when i have time, but this does not happen in 2.3.5.

if i cant fix it or dont find a reason for this behaviour, i will file a bug report.

here is everything that changed when i updated to 2.3.6, so basically nothing changed on my project.
1635442698937.png

EDIT:
ok i fixed this behaviour by adding 1 "draw_set_font(fnt_console);" to my code. it works now again, but something changed the behaviour. not gonna make a bug report since it works now, altought a little adjustment was necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Its just this...

Yep its a bye-bye...
It was expected, though, as I already mentioned in the Beta thread that this behavior was coming (And the "test variation" of the behavior was telling).

I just don't get the reasoning behind this. We were all headed to subscription eventually (That is a fact that we all already knew). We can upgrade into subscription now and get many free months of subscription (Again, that is a fact that we all already knew). Switching to subscription even gives us access to these features (Yet again, that is a fact that we all already knew). I care less about the features being locked out than I do about the behavioral traits backing the decision to do it in the first place... It is mentioned that this is the only sustainable way to move forward, but... why? Is it grounded in the hope that people forget that their cards are attached when they stop using the software?

The only thing this achieves is that they get your card on file. They are not getting any extra immediate money out of this (Nothing sooner than they would have, anyway, unless it is scraping from bank accounts that forgot to disable auto-renew when they quickly roll the rug out for a new version of GMS that invalidates permanent licenses and starts the mass rolling charges on those that became complacent thinking they were on "free time"). It's a bad play.

Whoever in Opera is making these decisions needs to start thinking a bit. I definitely don't care to use Opera GX after all of this, and unfortunately... this was the red flag that would get me to leave GMS behind. Next they will start "Netflixing" that "$10 Subscription". Watch closely...

Last edited:

gnysek

While first post says that English version of manual is already online, my IDE still opens that one from 2.3.5 (yep, I'm using English version).

Sorry to be grumpy, but not later than yesterday I was assured that bug with displaying sequences clipping masks (notice plural form) was deemed to be low priority by the team, and now I see this on release notes:
Sequence Editor/Room Editor: Clipping masks are now displayed correctly in the Sequence Editor and Room Editor
So my question is - was this broken even more in 2.3.5 and "s" in "masks" above just means generally this feature, or exactly multiple masks in one sequence? Cause if latter, then this feature is still broken, just checked that:

1635446402743.png

(teal rectangle is mask of red square, that top part of red square is displayed by blue square mask in another group)

In any way, I don't want to offend anyone here and I'm not pushing to fix this, but after exceptional attention I unintentionally induced about this issue in beta topic, I'm now lost which part is fixed, and which requires more work at some later date but have low-priority...

As for those who are disappointed that some features are available for Indie subscription - remember, that you can get if for free without loosing permanent licenses, so give it a chance, you're gonna get at least one year of all those additional features for free, and since YYG changes now how often releases are made, that year (or more if you got more licences already), will be a good period to check if it's worth to invest into this license, or stick with previous permanent one :) I've give it a go, and I'm using Indie since first day, as it was $0, and I'm now 4-5 years away from day when I would need to think if I want to pay those 10$ monthly for it or not (rather yes, cause I'm using GM/GMS for 18+ years now, so I will do it out of habit) :)
they get your card on file
I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I believe it's a Stripe who keeps payment details, and YYG have only access to first/last name, country and your subscription (how much you've paid). They shouldn't have access to cardholder data, that's how it works in most of e-commerce webstores I made in my life, which used external website to provide card data. However, if giving card data is what keep you away from subscription, then it sounds reasonable.

Posh Indie

That Guy
As for those who are disappointed that some features are available for Indie subscription - remember, that you can get if for free without loosing permanent licenses, so give it a chance, you're gonna get at least one year of all those additional features for free, and since YYG changes now how often releases are made, that year (or more if you got more licences already), will be a good period to check if it's worth to invest into this license, or stick with previous permanent one :) I've give it a go, and I'm using Indie since first day, as it was $0, and I'm now 4-5 years away from day when I would need to think if I want to pay those 10$ monthly for it or not (rather yes, cause I'm using GM/GMS for 18+ years now, so I will do it out of habit) :)
Likewise, being as respectful as possible (And not intending any animosity toward you here): I mentioned all of this above, and it's just not so much about the "What" but the "How and why". I mentioned numerous times that the subscription isn't my issue, but I know there's more to come.

If this is Phase 1...

I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I believe it's a Stripe who keeps payment details, and YYG have only access to first/last name, country and your subscription (how much you've paid). They shouldn't have access to cardholder data, that's how it works in most of e-commerce webstores I made in my life, which used external website to provide card data. However, if giving card data is what keep you away from subscription, then it sounds reasonable.
That part is irrelevant, what is important is that the card is accessible for payment to them. Less about "holding the data" more about, "the channel is open". Having the card information is okay with me; I used my card to buy the permanent licenses and buying anything online requires the card details to be used. I just don't trust them having auto-renew subscription access at this point, haha.

Last edited:

jonjons

I'm actually curious of how many games have you been able to start and finished in 18 + years ?

gnysek

I'm actually curious of how many games have you been able to start and finished in 18 + years ?
That depends what's counted in - if jam games too, then I even don't remember, if only those that were commercially released and I was part of dev team longer than for few days, then it will be about 6-7.

If this is Phase 1...
I hope there's no phase 2, as I will be 33% less optimistic with every phase.

Last edited:

Panda_Iro

Anyone needing to "Restore Defaults" in the Preference/Redefine Keys menu every time they start? I need to do that or a number of hotkeys won't work.

More concerning, is anyone unable to duplicate a sequence? RightClick-menu ->duplicate won't work, and trying the hotkey command (command+ d) crashes every time. I hope this gets fixed soon as duplicating sequences for variations can be a huge time saver.

Mehdi

Anyone needing to "Restore Defaults" in the Preference/Redefine Keys menu every time they start? I need to do that or a number of hotkeys won't work.

More concerning, is anyone unable to duplicate a sequence? RightClick-menu ->duplicate won't work, and trying the hotkey command (command+ d) crashes every time. I hope this gets fixed soon as duplicating sequences for variations can be a huge time saver.
for me is there no problem duplicating a seq. (on Windows )

gnysek

I hope this gets fixed soon
Sadly, bugs aren't fixed by hope only (except it's a hope to being fixed sooner than later), so don't forget to report this issue ;)
I can confirm I've got exactly same issue on my side - duplicating from submenu doesn't work, pressing Ctrl+D crashes IDE (Windows).

8BitWarrior

I get this error during install runtime >>

" The selected runtime could not fully install"
During the beta I had a similar problem. I was able to fix it by:

1) Uninstalling GameMaker
2) Logging out of my Windows user account
3) Logging back into my Windows user account and attempting to install again

Desiring that helps!

kingyo

Thanks for the various improvements in the version update.
Unfortunately, pressing Ctrl + T in the room editor doesn't open the Goto window as I was expecting. Instead, a new tilemap layer is created.
I learned that CTRL+T is designed to change its function depending on the context.
In my opinion, "navigation", "goto" and "search & replace" windows need to be available regardless of context.
By assigning the "Add New Tile Layer" key in the room editor to another key, the global CTRL+T seems to take precedence. You can now open the Goto Window in the room editor as well.
ccc1.PNG

kingyo

I can't rename a texture group.
Is there any other way than to change it in the Texture Group Editor?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Random crash when left click resources.. like 8 times a day.
Can you file a bug ticket (if you haven't already), but ensure you attach your ui.log, please? That sounds like a graphics driver instability, given that you say it's random and from a very basic action inside the product, but we'll need the log file to say with more confidence. Thanks.

I get this error during install runtime >>

" The selected runtime could not fully install"
Try the fix the other comment mentioned, sure, but really we just would suggest you check your OS account permissions/anti-virus/firewall/etc. settings are not blocking things (especially if you get this type of issue each time you upgrade...). https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...missions-and-Internet-Access-Required-by-GMS2

Last edited:
@Dan,

A slight enquiry, since I don't think I saw it mentioned in the release note.
Is the keystore password issue been resolved in this stable version or is it still in queue?
Thanks.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I can't rename a texture group.
Is there any other way than to change it in the Texture Group Editor?
We've confirmed this and filed a bug for it now. Thanks!

@Dan,

Is the keystore password issue been resolved in this stable version or is it still in queue?
Thanks.
No, it isn't - I did mention this when closing off one of the Beta or the 2.3.5 Stable threads (can't remember which it was), but yeah we're still working on that one.

vdweller

Collisions are still iffy when using small sprites being scaled.

1635502703007.png

In the above image (3x view zoom), a collision is not detected. Both sprites have precise masks and the yellow sprite is a 1x3 sprite, with a 1x3 center pixel mask, rotated by 90 degrees and scaled across the x-axis.

Filed a ticket.

gnysek

The English manual is available now
I've got few more minutes today to debug it, and I found that manuals versions are checked by IDE by fetching info from https://gms.yoyogames.com/update-manual.rss . For every language version, it shows 2.3.5.xx . For English it's 2.3.5.22, exactly same version that I can see in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Manual\manual_info.json - so manual for IDE isn't updated.

However, what's under https://manual.yoyogames.com seems to be at latest version, as I can see docs for fx functions. Now I also know, that what I reported this week - that layer_get_fx returns empty struct, is by desing, so I've reported it unnecessarily :)

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I've got few more minutes today to debug it, and I found that manuals versions are checked by IDE by fetching info from https://gms.yoyogames.com/update-manual.rss . For every language version, it shows 2.3.5.xx . For English it's 2.3.5.22, exactly same version that I can see in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Manual\manual_info.json - so manual for IDE isn't updated.

However, what's under https://manual.yoyogames.com seems to be at latest version, as I can see docs for fx functions. Now I also know, that what I reported this week - that layer_get_fx returns empty struct, is by desing, so I've reported it unnecessarily :)
you've probably got a local cache of the manual rss feed, its showing up as 2.3.6 for me. i've also cleared the cdn cache to see if that will help you out

gnysek

i've also cleared the cdn cache
Yeah, it's OK now, that must be CDN caching problem then - as it wasn't only my browser cache issue (I've visited this url first time today), and I've used Fiddler (web debugger proxy) to preview what GMS2 IDE sees and downloads, and results were same - and I doubt IDE has any website caching.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Yeah, it's OK now, that must be CDN caching problem then - as it wasn't only my browser cache issue (I've visited this url first time today), and I've used Fiddler (web debugger proxy) to preview what GMS2 IDE sees and downloads, and results were same - and I doubt IDE has any website caching.
iirc the ide uses your machines default website cache stuff which is in your internet properties (i might be wrong on that though)

Panda_Iro

for me is there no problem duplicating a seq. (on Windows )
What's even more odd, is that of the roughly 40 sequences I have (a variety in what they all do), about 5 of them can be duplicated as expected, but the rest of them won't. (Running on a Mac, and never had this problem before).

Panda_Iro

I spoke too soon. What is even more odd, is that when I have two sequences open (in two tabbed windows), if I have a layer selected in the timeline of one sequence, then click the tab over to a different sequence, click a layer and duplicate it, it will work but it will ALSO duplicate the highlighted layer in the other sequence window (the one that is hidden). And even stranger yet, if I have a Group/Folder selected in once sequence, then tab over to another sequence, select a group/folder and click the "add a new group" button, it won't appear to make a new group but if I click back to the previous sequence, I see it has created a nested group/folder for every time I clicked.

Basically, it seems that the IDE is confusing or duplicating actions between two sequence windows instead of only performing actions on the current visible sequence. Anyone else?

GDS

it fixed the memory overflow due too many external files when turning the GM on( needed to restart several time until it didn't happen)
But now the compile time went from 1m to 6m, not a good trade UMHO

*EDIT*
it seens to behave different with other APPS open and the amount of RAM/GPU/CPU available when reading the external folder in the compile( it wasnt like that before)

If i make sure the PC is under 50% load it will be as fast as 1m
if not ti will take a while(before it didnt happened even with the same PC as Almost full load)

Last edited:

samspade

Not sure if this has been brought up somewhere else or if it should go somewhere else, but is the documentation for the filter effects going to become more complete? Filters are incredible, and I'm enjoying using them, but right now, there are some major gaps, mostly having to do with the code side (documentation seems pretty good with regards to the editor itself).

The biggest is the lack of what names you need to modify for various parameters. For example, I don't see a way to figure out what names you should use with fx_set_parameter without running the game in debug mode, getting the struct with layer_get_fx and then getting the array of names (since currently the debugger doesn't actually let you look at the struct itself). Or looking at the underlying shader code (which is possible, but I never would have known how to do this if DragoniteSpam hadn't made a YouTube video where he showed the folder location). And they aren't consistently named. For example, Intensity in colourise is named g_Intensity but Scale and Offset in Distort are named g_DistortScale and g_DistortOffset.

There's also no documentation on what these variables are or how to set them. For example, g_DistortOffset is a vec2. GameMaker doesn't crash if you pass in a single value, but it appears to apply it to the first part of the vector (as far as I can tell). There's no way for someone who hasn't messed around with both Shader's and GameMaker's implementation of them to know that you would need to pass in an array.

gnysek

For example, I don't see a way to figure out what names you should use with fx_set_parameter without running the game in debug mode, getting the struct with layer_get_fx and then getting the array of names (since currently the debugger doesn't actually let you look at the struct itself).
It will probably stay like this, as from what Russell wrote, they are planning editor for users to create and share own filters, so there's no way to cover everything, and for non default ones that will be only way. Of course manual could have list of default ones, that would be a nice addition.
This feature is unfinished, so good that you're pointing it out.

samspade

It will probably stay like this, as from what Russell wrote, they are planning editor for users to create and share own filters, so there's no way to cover everything, and for non default ones that will be only way. Of course manual could have list of default ones, that would be a nice addition.
This feature is unfinished, so good that you're pointing it out.
Perhaps one solution would be the option to view the underlying shader code since that would give you both the variable name and it's type - which would at least give you something to look up. Otherwise, interacting with them through code (which is necessary for a lot of effects) isn't going to be possible. Really, I think there just needs to be someway to figure out what the actual name and type of the variables are that doesn't require you to run the game in debug mode or dig through GameMaker folders.

For example, I wanted to create a simple effect where the screen tints green and the distort shader makes everything wavy, but I don't want it always on, just triggered. But to do this I need to be able to access a couple variables to turn it on and off and to move the distort shader I needed to update the offset every step. I think this was just six lines of code (excluding the code to track the trigger) which is great, but it would have been impossible if I didn't know how to look up, read, and understand some of the basics of the actual shader code.

gnysek

option to view the underlying shader code
Shaders are somewhere in C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimexxx or something like this so can be previewed, but from what I understand you would like to view them in IDE. That's a good idea IMHO, previewing filter code as read only, or showing param names near their description in layer properties.

Dsharp

I've filed a ticket already, but I'll ask here in case anyone knows the cause or solution.

I'm getting crashes multiple times a day simply by trying to run my game (triangular 'play' button). I just click on it and then GMS2 immediately force-closes without warning. This also happens (much less frequently) when left or right clicking on an asset, similar to a problem described earlier. But mostly it's just from trying to run the code.

Thankfully everything's always been saved, even stuff I just did, so that's neat. And it only takes a moment to hop back in. But it's frequent enough now to be concerning.

doom13

Hey guys, are you able to get "." from keyboard_string? It works with ", ; :" but not "." :bash:

Edit:
Only with OperaGX

Edit 2:
If I press the dot key, keyboard_check(vkdelete) returns true (OperaGX).
unknown2.png

Last edited:
@Dan,

Thanks.
good afternoon. Is there an alternative solution? I am trying to upload an update of my game to Playstore but it prevents me from loading it due to the Keystore error

Status
Not open for further replies.