OFFICIAL 2.3.6 Beta Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v23.1.1.417 Runtime v23.1.1.397 (Oct 26, 2021)

Fixes a small stack of remaining issues as we progress rapidly towards the Stable release and also introduces another Filter type - "Distort".

Beta 7 - IDE v23.1.1.412 Runtime v23.1.1.394 (Oct 21, 2021)

"Just" a small bug-fix update this time, really, but it does fix the manuals being wrong if you are not using English and also that if using the Mac IDE then in some cases your changes to key bindings may not have been saved properly.

Beta 6 - IDE v23.1.1.411 Runtime v23.1.1.393 (Oct 20, 2021)

This version introduces the new design for the Start Page, which includes a little introduction "walkthough" for brand-new users. It also adds the ability to export your projects as a "Template" which are then added to your Start Page and become the base of other projects later on.

Right now, be aware that the old demos we have showing on the Templates page are a little bit "placeholder" just so you can try the new functionality, and there will be new Templates coming soon - if you have issues downloading these old demos or creating a new project from them, then please do send a bug report for that, but you don't need to bug anything for the content inside the demos themselves.

There is also a few fixes for the filters stuff which came in the last Beta, and several in-game fixes, so please do check out the release notes as always.

(Apologies for the lack of updates to this post for Betas 3 to 5)

Beta 2 - IDE v23.1.1.397 Runtime v23.1.1.377 (Oct 5, 2021)

Fixes a handful of the issues mentioned on page 1 of this thread. "Just" a bug-fix release again with this one, but as ever, see the release notes just above for the full info.

Beta 1 - IDE v23.1.1.395 Runtime v23.1.1.375 (Oct 1, 2021)

Initial release for 2.3.6 - mostly bug fixes (see Release Notes)
  • Added arm64 (aarch64) target for linux (NOTE: It is a known bug that YYC does not work).

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

Can I report an HTML formatting error on the Release Notes page?
I held back with reporting this to not irritate Russell, as I also noticed that this release notes aren't prepared by Dan, cause "fixed bugs" are just titles from bugtracker again, instead of reformatted for "we fixed this and that to not happen anymore" :p

So, my list of more important bugs:
- Sequence clipping masks are still merged on same sequence ( #184357, since 2.3.2 )
- Sequence track visibility is often not reflected in-game, an changing this gives random results ( #189099 , fresh one )

and list of minors which aren't crashing/breaking anything:
- Placeholder ${open_search_replace} is still displayed for Search & Replace window ( #188636 )
- Inspector animations are still there even if IDE animations are disabled (#184928 , since 2.3.3 beta )
- Can't browse Sprite properties in Inspector if it's less than 380px high ( #189100, fresh one )
- Inspector windows can be duplicated infinitely (while other windows from "Windows" menu not) ( #189101 , fresh one )
- Asterisk for modified files is back after saving project, if focus on GMS2 window is lost ( #189104, fresh one )

And by reviewing my old reports, I found out that one of bugs was already fixed long time ago in 2.2.1 (so long ago that it's even publicity visible in Mantis!), but was never mentioned in release notes, so I'm 3 years late to the party, and still bypassing it šŸ¤£

Last edited:

Zhanghua

Added initial support on Windows to enable the upcoming GDK Extension (details to follow)

So I want to know the details of GDK

gnysek

I want to know the details of GDK
I may be wrong, but this is probably about https://github.com/microsoft/GDK - while it says in first lines about Game Pass, I think it's rather about this:
Key Feature is that only Win32 + GDK fully supports all Microsoft Gameplay Services (Xbox Live identity, multiplayer, chat, leaderboards, achievements, commerce, etc.), and is required for Xbox Game Pass(1) on both console and PC.
When going to documentation page of GDK, it says Access to this topic requires membership in an NDA developer program., so while it seems to be a feature for narrow group, maybe Microsoft is preparing some new public features with Windows 11 release, and that's why details are to follow (they can't be publicity announced yet) :)

For sure it's not Xbox-only feature, as then it would be available only as subset of GML which is available only for Enterprise users and is under NDA.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I would like to test and give feedback for the arm64 support. I assume it's just the runtime and no IDE support yet? Also for extensions i assume so the library names don't clash with 32-bit arm the filename suffix is *_arm64.so, correct? Also, since 20.04 LTS ubuntu doesn't have an official desktop OS image for ARM (neither 32-bit or 64-bit) would Ubuntu MATE be acceptable alternative? Or should i go through the trouble of following an online tutorial on how to use Ubuntu Server as a desktop with GNOME?

Edit: going with Ubuntu MATE for now....

Edit2: I noticed after testing the extension library suffix is the same for both armv7 and arm64. "*_arm.so" which as I mentioned will have name conflicts.

I have a question about a couple things that I'm unsure if they're bugs or not.

1.) When creating a child room, objects don't inherit creation code by default. I should note that this project is quite old and has been passed through several GMS2 updates.

2.) In the room editor, all the hotkeys seem to be not working. Rectangle tool, select tool, cut, copy, paste, etc. Is this a bug or is there something in the preferences I'm not seeing? I know redefinable hotkeys was a recent addition, so perhaps it's related to that? I looked at the redefine keys menu in the preferences and all the hotkeys seem to be there as I would expect. I should note that this seems to be the case even with newly-created projects, unlike the above point.

If either of these are bugs, then I'll report them with the normal bug reporting system.

Thanks!

ted234521

Precise collisions still cause a massive performance loss when using place_meeting() and move_contact_solid().

I have filed a bug report and the team has confirmed the bug's existence.
The sample project I provided is incredibly simple, yet loses almost 12,000 FPS when simply using place_meeting() in conjunction with precise collisions.

Pic is profiler on 2.3.4 and newer, vs. 2.3.3 and older

Attachments

Alyxx

Precise collisions still cause a massive performance loss when using place_meeting() and move_contact_solid().

I have filed a bug report and the team has confirmed the bug's existence.
The sample project I provided is incredibly simple, yet loses almost 12,000 FPS when simply using place_meeting() in conjunction with precise collisions.

Pic is profiler on 2.3.4 and newer, vs. 2.3.3 and older
Isn't this generally why you avoid using precise collisions though?

ted234521

Isn't this generally why you avoid using precise collisions though?
Losing 12,000 FPS isn't normal behavior. If you look at my screenshots of the profiler you can see how much more intensive precise collisions are in 2.3.4+. Normally I would dip from 13000 to maybe 12500, not 13000 to sub-100

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Has anyone else seen this error about "Emscripten's linking support"?

screenshot.png

I've reported it, but unless it gets fixed, it will be yet another game that I can't publish for GX.

chmod777

Has anyone else seen this error about "Emscripten's linking support"?
Yes, I got this error too. In my case, it appears this was caused by a JavaScript extension (made for the HTML5 module) which was also copied to Opera GX. The game crashed when it tried to call one of the functions defined in the extension. Unticking the "Opera GX" box in the extension menu fixed the issue.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Yes, I got this error too. In my case, it appears this was caused by a JavaScript extension (made for the HTML5 module) which was also copied to Opera GX. The game crashed when it tried to call one of the functions defined in the extension. Unticking the "Opera GX" box in the extension menu fixed the issue.
There are absolutely NO JS extensions in the project that I was trying to build, and it still threw the error. It used to work in 2.3.5 stable.

Thanh you!
Another question:
where to get the info of newest games which are built with GMS and will be released recently?
Can also try the 'GameMaker' tag on itchio (maybe other platforms) though that would also be fuzzy. Lots of games won't be tagged (including my own) and who knows if everything using the tag is actually made in GameMaker.

Zhanghua

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v23.1.1.397 Runtime v23.1.1.377 is now rolling out to fix a handful of the issues mentioned higher up on this thread. "Just" a bug-fix release again with this one, but as ever, see the release notes for the full info.

Thanks again for all the comments and bug reports!

ted234521

IDE v23.1.1.397 Runtime v23.1.1.377 is now rolling out to fix a handful of the issues mentioned higher up on this thread. "Just" a bug-fix release again with this one, but as ever, see the release notes for the full info.

Thanks again for all the comments and bug reports!
Any news on collision issues? Performance loss is still present, has been since 2.3.4. I filed a bug report and the existence of the bug was confirmed.

gnysek

@rwkay @Dan Nintendo Switch can't be built anymore either Beta or Stable, VM or YYC
This definitely should be reported only using helpdesk, as discussing console things are under NDA AFAIK (and there's special hidden forum on helpdesk from what I've heard?).

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This definitely should be reported only using helpdesk, as discussing console things are under NDA AFAIK (and there's special hidden forum on helpdesk from what I've heard?).
NDA wouldnt have much to do with this. He's just saying the build button isn't working.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Guys i didn't breach any NDA i just said a build for a specified platform can't be made. If they consider this a breach of NDA i could be very surprised. I same if i ask if i can build my projects for that specified platform.
lmao exactly

Cpaz

Guys i didn't breach any NDA i just said a build for a specified platform can't be made. If they consider this a breach of NDA i could be very surprised. I same if i ask if i can build my projects for that specified platform.
I think the point is just that you shouldn't go into detail and file a bug report directly.

Always good to point out broken exports/builds, though. So yeah, all good.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v23.1.1.399 Runtime v23.1.1.379 is now rolling out to fix some collision performance issues, a couple of project-saving issues, mouse wheel support in the Opera GX target, and some others to do with hotkeys. See the release notes for the full info.

I am only just now seeing the discussion about Switch, so will investigate and get someone to look into your ticket also. However, I will say just make sure that you are up-to-date with the Required SDKs... ;)

Thanks again, all!

@Dan this is the issue, the latest SDK, the IDE still point to old SDK and also if you point to a new, same as for PS4/PS5 or Windows doesn't work, so if VS works for the other platforms should work for Switch too. Consider i have a ticket opened also with Russel for the PS4 where there is a similar problem, half :D Build can be made but is old :D :D :D
SDK is 12 as required.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Dan this is the issue, the latest SDK, the IDE still point to old SDK and also if you point to a new, same as for PS4/PS5 or Windows doesn't work, so if VS works for the other platforms should work for Switch too. Consider i have a ticket opened also with Russel for the PS4 where there is a similar problem, half :D Build can be made but is old :D :D :D
SDK is 12 as required.
DM me your ticket number and I will make sure console support are aware of the problem.

Russell

ScottD

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta release IDE 23.1.1.402 Runtime 23.1.1.383 is currently underway. This comes with various fixes and improvements to the renderer along with other bug fixes.

Please see the release notes and don't hesitate to submit tickets with full information. Logs and computer information are particularly useful at this time.

Release Notes
Runtime Release Notes

Thank you

so ive been using gms2 through wine all this time and i can finally use it natively yay thank you

i decided to test it using a game i recently built for a touhou-related jam since it has several moving parts and if i need to i can just pull a clean backup off my gitea
Screenshot from 2021-10-14 03-17-13.png

Some weird issues I've noticed in since starting to test the Linux beta:

1) I uninstalled gamemakerstudio2-beta through the command line and then reinstalled it. It somehow deleted the yoyo.ppk file in ~/.config/GameMakerStudio2-Beta/<your name>/, which caused it to be unable to clean or build for VM and YYC. The workaround I used to fix this issue so I could do VM builds was to uninstall with apt remove --purge gamemakerstudio2-beta and then delete the ~/.config/GameMakerStudio2-Beta directory before reinstalling

2) When I try to do a Ubuntu YYC build, it apparently tries to access /<project name>, which causes it to fail
Screenshot from 2021-10-14 03-08-50.png

3) When trying to open a file with the system file prompt, it creates a notification and I have to close the notification then alt-tab to the proper window to use the prompt and open a file

Last edited:

ScottD

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta release IDE v23.1.1.408 Runtime v23.1.1.388 is currently underway.

Indie and Enterprise users will get a sneak peek at the new Filters and Effects feature, allowing them to easily add graphical effects to layers in the room. As we are currently limiting this feature for targeted feedback we recommend logging out via the IDE and back in again to ensure your licence is properly updated.

We have introduced a new UI for handling conflicts with keybindings, this will give you detailed information on what conflicts and provide suggestions on alternative bindings

Undo system will now only function within the context of asset instead of being global. As an example: Modifying a sprite image and then some object properties will no longer undo the image changes if you control+z too far

Please do be sure to check out these new features and give us feedback. There will be more betas to come with improvements to these features.

Please see the release notes and don't hesitate to submit tickets with full information.

Release Notes
Runtime Release Notes

Thank You

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.