OFFICIAL 2.3.5 Beta Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release -
IDE v23.1.1.393 Runtime v23.1.1.373 (Sept 27, 2021)

Fixes a serious issue if you're using 2.3.3-and-older IDES with some of our recently-updated Marketplace extensions which have released since 2.3.4 or you're making your own extensions and then passing these two people using the old IDEs. Opening the project in this version will now fix the extension itself so it's safe to use in the older IDEs again if you need to do this.

Beyond that, lots of fixes for the redefinable keys feature we introduced in the previous beta, and a fair number of other bug fixes also, so do see the notes above.

Beta 3 - IDE v23.1.1.388 Runtime v23.1.1.369 (Sept 23, 2021)

Quite a few IDE changes and a couple of new features in this one, plus several quite important runtime fixes also, so do check the release notes carefully. We welcome feedback on the redefine keys feature and the other smaller changes made in this release.

Also, if you do have a project with the "completely empty ID reference" error, please try it in this release, as GMS2 will now give you much more info (or should do) as to which asset(s) are affected and enable you to resolve the errors.

This one does have a few renderer fixes and performance boosts for all IDEs, so do let us know if you see improvements; however, it's the next beta which should really do a lot to fix issues with the Windows IDE specifically, so if you do still have issues with this one when using Windows, please do stay tuned for the next release.

Beta 2 - IDE v23.1.1.385 Runtime v23.1.1.362 (Sept 16, 2021)

This one has several fixes for renderer issues some users saw in 2.3.4 (some on startup, others when using the Image Editor) and also a likely fix for the Mac IDE giving a runtime download error when it tries to download Mono to repair a broken/missing install for you. If you had these issues in 2.3.4, please do try this Beta and confirm to us if all is well now.

This version also has the inspector enabled for sprites also, so again please do give that some time and let us know what you think.

Full notes are on the usual links above. (The runtime is not the same as the last one, but it doesn't contain much and it's almost all for console, so for this time I just made a vague mention that it has some console fixes.)

Initial Release - IDE v23.1.1.382 Runtime v23.1.1.359 (Sept 13, 2021)

A very early start to the 2.3.5 release process. See the links above for the notes.

Many intended features are not in place yet and please do just treat this as a little stability release just now - there are some important performance fixes in already (with more to come), so if you do have issues here, please do let us know asap.

Last edited:

gnysek

hxyy

Why not add the beta to Steam?
The version number is now stuck at 2.3.3

Or, when will the IDE support incremental updates instead of downloading the full installation package?
(Machine translation)

gnysek

Or, when will the IDE support incremental updates instead of downloading the full installation package?
There will be no incremental updates AFAIK, as there were problems with it in GMS 1.x lifetime (that's why updates now requires full install and reinstall). This indeed takes more time (I would like to have possibility to choose which runtimes I really need to install after update, as I'm not using some while Indie subscription gives them), but cause less bugs from files that didn't replaced properly.

gnysek

From other small bugs, inspector still have animations while I've disabled IDE animations in preferences (I've already reported this - #184928).

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v23.1.1.385 Runtime v23.1.1.362 is rolling out now.

This one has several fixes for renderer issues some users saw in 2.3.4 (some on startup, others when using the Image Editor) and also a likely fix for the Mac IDE giving a runtime download error when it tries to download Mono to repair a broken/missing install for you. If you had these issues in 2.3.4, please do try this Beta and confirm to us if all is well now.

This version also has the inspector enabled for sprites also (I am aware I typo'd "abled" instead of "enabled" in the release notes, thanks - I will fix for the next release), so again please do give that some time and let us know what you think.

The runtime is not the same as the last one, but it doesn't contain much and it's almost all for console, so for this time I just made a vague mention that it has some console fixes.

Full notes are on the usual links above.

zextyu

I have a problem with the frame rate in the IDE. Everything moves very jerky. Compared with 2.2 everything is smooth there. AMD 5600xt and Intel core i5 8500. Windows 10. Beta Version has the same problem. I tried to change it in the settings. Nothing helped

gnysek

I have no FPS issues, but I'm on notebook, where both Intel GPU and NVidia GPU are, and from Help > About I can see, it uses Intel64 Family, so for sure it's not using better GPU. Seems that issue happens when non-integrated GPU is the only one then?

Smacktard

I submitted a bug report about 2.3.4 that my home/end/page up/page down keys were not working in the code editor. I received a message that the bug was "solved" but I don't see it identified in the release notes.

O.Stogden

I have no FPS issues, but I'm on notebook, where both Intel GPU and NVidia GPU are, and from Help > About I can see, it uses Intel64 Family, so for sure it's not using better GPU. Seems that issue happens when non-integrated GPU is the only one then?
I believe the low FPS is a CPU issue, as it maxes out my CPU thread whenever the IDE does anything. My GPU shows nothing extraordinary with the workload it's doing.

And as it's being reported by both Intel and AMD CPU users, it's probably not unique to specific hardware. Not sure what's causing it, but hopefully YYG find out what went wrong.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.IME.
It would seem the people who downvoted probably didn't have context for what you said until the next person commented. lol

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If you are having an FPS issue can you please make sure you test Beta version 23.1.1.385 as this has extra fixes in place to improve frame rate on those machines that are having problems and we need the feedback on whether this works better or not.

Russell

breakmt

I tried Beta on Macbook Air M1 and have few questions:

1. What happened with DPI settings? Same values from 2.3.3 and 2.3.5 works differently

2. Scrolling in workspace works horrible compared to 2.3.3 - I see twitching

3. Why "Need help?" window is so small - it doesn't respect DPI? (couldn't attach screen cause " The uploaded file is too large." for 760 kb file)

Same for 2.3.4. Sad!

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta 3 (IDE v23.1.1.388 Runtime v23.1.1.369) is rolling out now.

Quite a few IDE changes and a couple of new features in this one, plus several quite important runtime fixes also, so do check the release notes carefully (top of this page for the links). We welcome feedback on the redefine keys feature and the other smaller changes made in this release.

Also, if you do have a project with the "completely empty ID reference" error, please try it in this release, as GMS2 will now give you much more info (or should do) as to which asset(s) are affected and enable you to resolve the errors.

This one does have a few renderer fixes and performance boosts for all IDEs, so do let us know if you see improvements; however, it's the next beta which should really do a lot to fix issues with the Windows IDE specifically, so if you do still have issues with this one when using Windows, please do stay tuned for the next release.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I tried Beta on Macbook Air M1 and have few questions:

1. What happened with DPI settings? Same values from 2.3.3 and 2.3.5 works differently
OpenTK was not reporting the correct DPI while SDL apparently does - this meant the same setting scales differently, not much we can do about it (as we don't know what the conversion would be for your monitor as it is a completely local setting)

2. Scrolling in workspace works horrible compared to 2.3.3 - I see twitching
That one is interesting... could you please file a bug with a video to show what you are seeing?

3. Why "Need help?" window is so small - it doesn't respect DPI? (couldn't attach screen cause " The uploaded file is too large." for 760 kb file)

Same for 2.3.4. Sad!
Please file a bug for this one too... it must be a window that has not been fixed for DPI settings that we have missed.

Russell

mino_dev

Just downloaded it, and I can't seem to save by pressing CTRL+S anymore. (I can still save by hitting the "Save Project" button in the toolbar)

Looking at the "redefine keys" feature, it seems that CTRL+S is, by default bound to both "Save" and "dndmaker_savelibrary". I tried rebinding both, but both CTRL+S or the keybinds I rebound them don't work.

(I'll file a bug report too, just wanted to see if other people had the same issue, or if it was something specific with my project)

Edit: CTRL+SHIFT+F is also broken... or well sort of, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'm not really sure as to what's causing it to sometimes work.
The bug I filled before came back as "already in the database", and I assume that this is a related issue, so I probably won't bother with another, separate bug report

Last edited:

gnysek

Bugs on Windows:

- Press ${open_search_replace} to open the Search and Replace window. - Seems that shortucts aren't replacing placeholders in strings.

- Clipping masks preview completely stopped to work in sequences in IDE

- When having more than one clipping mask, they are still merged to one clipping mask in same sequence while in game

- when changing visibility in sequence, everything is still shown (that might be connected to clipping masks above).

- Inspector still have animations even if they are disabled in Preferences

- Redefine Keys option in preferences have additional space before it's name so it's misaligned with others

- when dragging nine-slice lines, they are updating with in inspector with little lag, while all other settings seems to update instantly (is this a glitch, or by design?)

-----

I've just discovered Ctrl+Alt+Arrows shortcuts, for how long they were there!!??? That's really useful shortcut.

23.1.1.388 is smoother than the current stable version, but still has a poor framerate compared to 2.3.3.574. It's not so laggy that it feels slow when I'm typing, but I can notice the choppyness when dragging the workspace view around or scrolling a window with a lot of code in it. Setting the max FPS above the default 60 seemed to help, although the framerate definitely never hit 60 FPS, which is what I keep my stable version set at.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Bugs on Windows:

- Press ${open_search_replace} to open the Search and Replace window. - Seems that shortucts aren't replacing placeholders in strings.

- Clipping masks preview completely stopped to work in sequences in IDE

- When having more than one clipping mask, they are still merged to one clipping mask in same sequence while in game

- when changing visibility in sequence, everything is still shown (that might be connected to clipping masks above).

- Inspector still have animations even if they are disabled in Preferences

- Redefine Keys option in preferences have additional space before it's name so it's misaligned with others

- when dragging nine-slice lines, they are updating with in inspector with little lag, while all other settings seems to update instantly (is this a glitch, or by design?)

-----

I've just discovered Ctrl+Alt+Arrows shortcuts, for how long they were there!!??? That's really useful shortcut.
File them as bugs please (File them individually and attach projects / videos to show the issues) that is if you want the bugs fixed...

Russell

gnysek

if you want the bugs fixed
of course I would like to get bugs fixed, and for those I wanted to be fixed, they are already reported: Inspector animations are #184928, reported on 24th of June, sequences clipping mask merging are #184357, reported on 4th of June.

As addition, on Linux, compressed audio still prints System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/home/.../audio_test/Default/Audio/snd_test_1.ogg" on Linux for me, this is #187583, reported on 7th September, I'm still awaiting for helpdesk first response.

Thanks.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

OpenTK was not reporting the correct DPI while SDL apparently does - this meant the same setting scales differently, not much we can do about it (as we don't know what the conversion would be for your monitor as it is a completely local setting)

That one is interesting... could you please file a bug with a video to show what you are seeing?

Please file a bug for this one too... it must be a window that has not been fixed for DPI settings that we have missed.

Russell
Is there a technical reason to switch to OpenTK when it's apparently worse? I have dpi issues as well on the Raspberry Pi. I would file a ticket suggesting a switch back to SDL, but I think I know the answer. (Edit: I'm such a troll lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

From what I remember, this causes less issues with opening/saving OS windows, sound previewing, and some OS specific functions. It was probably mainly to improve Mac and Ubuntu IDE.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

From what I remember, this causes less issues with opening/saving OS windows, sound previewing, and some OS specific functions. It was probably mainly to improve Mac and Ubuntu IDE.
I thought there were logical reasons behind it but it helps knowing what those reasons are. I take back what I said. It does kinda suck being at the mercy of third party library developers to get it right for your own products, and from that much I can get why they can't do much about it. The trade off they made is probably worth it.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I thought there were logical reasons behind it but it helps knowing what those reasons are. I take back what I said. It does kinda suck being at the mercy of third party library developers to get it right for your own products, and from that much I can get why they can't do much about it. The trade off they made is probably worth it.
Just to clarify we moved from OpenTK to SDL2 as OpenTK development had stopped (way back in 2015) and the newer versions actually moved to SDL2 themselves for all window handling (which was our primary use case for OpenTK, the OpenGL/OpenAL part was just a side benefit). We still have some issues with SDL2 (mainly around IME handling which has several bugs that we are seeking to resolve now) but nothing like the many many issues we had with OpenTK

Russell

gnysek

On my notebook, I see no differences in performance both on Windows and Ubuntu, everything is working smooth even after OpenTK-SDL2 change. While I have GTX 950M on board, IDE uses weak integrated Intel GPU, and seems that's enough to have no lags or other issues.

Stra

Did anyone notice mouse lag in 2.3.4 or latest beta? I just ran them real quick and noticed the sprite that I use as cursor follows the real mouse cursor with quite a bit of lag. (Not so in 2.3.3)

Will inspect more tomorrow and file a bug report if needed.

gnysek

Did anyone notice mouse lag
Yes, I can confirm that I see small lag (1-2 pixels on Ubuntu, 3-4 pixels on Windows) - it's more visible when zoom is bigger, and nearly not visible when no zoom (as it's one-pixel lag per frame). However, because Dan said that next beta will have more improvements on performance, I'm not reporting it to not waste helpdesk time.

Last edited:

Stra

Ticket 188633

So I confirm that the mouse lag (in the compiled project, not in the IDE) in 2.3.3 is negligent, but in 2.3.4/latest beta is quite substantial. This would make programming a shoot'em'up sort of game quite impossible.

If anyone wants to try to re-create it and report back:
1 empty room
1 object with any small sprite
draw event:
x = mouse_x
y = mouse_y
draw_self()

Nothing else. Now try moving the cursor around.

gnysek

Interesting, as in my projects I'm not using custom cursors I didn't noticed that, but I can confirm this too - I even tried to move code to step event, but there's no difference, lag seems to be much much bigger than before:

8BitWarrior

I have found a bug in the HTML5 TARGET where method_get_index() returns undefined for the first call:

GML:
show_message(method_get_index(function(){})); // Returns undefined
show_message(method_get_index(function(){})); // Returns real id
UPDATE:
On further inspection, it looks like something might be up with function() itself. There is also a difference in the following 2 lines when called at start:

GML:
show_message(function(){}); // PRINTS: function () { [native code] }
show_message(function(){}); // PRINTS:  65 (in my case)

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Ticket 188633

So I confirm that the mouse lag (in the compiled project, not in the IDE) in 2.3.3 is negligent, but in 2.3.4/latest beta is quite substantial. This would make programming a shoot'em'up sort of game quite impossible.
Interesting, as in my projects I'm not using custom cursors I didn't noticed that, but I can confirm this too - I even tried to move code to step event, but there's no difference, lag seems to be much much bigger than before:
We replied on the ticket earlier today, as we can see your videos/gifs do show an issue, but we're not getting it ourselves and Piotr as you say you see this also, I wanted to follow up a bit here:

Are you saying there that you only see this issue when you have used window_set_cursor() also? Or am I misunderstanding what you say there?
And are you getting generally lower in-game FPS in 2.3.4, or is everything else fine apart from this mouse lag?

(If I make a sample using just the code given above I can see the the sprite occasionally lags behind my mouse cursor if if keep moving the mouse, but the results are no better/worse than 2.3.3. I did also take your suggestion of using a view to zoom in and see if that made it more obvious.)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Ticket 188633

If anyone wants to try to re-create it and report back:
1 empty room
1 object with any small sprite
draw event:
x = mouse_x
y = mouse_y
draw_self()

Nothing else. Now try moving the cursor around.

Just as a general rule for any bug submissions! Please attach a project to a bug when you file it (and say which platform target you found it on). The issue you are seeing may be intrinsic to something in the project rather than the code you have setup.

Russell

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta 4 (IDE v23.1.1.393 Runtime v23.1.1.373) is rolling out now.

Fixes a serious issue if you're using 2.3.3-and-older IDES with some of our recently-updated Marketplace extensions which have released since 2.3.4 or you're making your own extensions and then passing these two people using the old IDEs. Opening the project in this version will now fix the extension itself so it's safe to use in the older IDEs again if you need to do this.

Beyond that, lots of fixes for the redefinable keys feature we introduced in the previous beta, and a fair number of other bug fixes also. See the release notes for more:

https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes-NuBeta.html
https://gms.yoyogames.com/release-notes-runtime-NuBeta.html

Many thanks again to everyone who has submitted a bug ticket or commented here - it's all greatly appreciated, even if we're a little slow replying to the tickets at the moment.

As an aside, I just minutes ago confirmed a big performance drop in 2.3.4/these 2.3.5 Betas regarding lots of precise collisions, so that's not fixed in this release, but it's now a known issue and we will get fixed asap.

gnysek

So, for IDE lag in sprite editor: I see it like this (for me this lag is small enough to not care, on video it's even hard to notice lag):

For x=mouse_x issue lag is much much bigger, and I've compared it with... GameMaker Studio 1.4. So, in GMS 1.4, sprite is nearly sticked to Windows cursor, and generally sticks really close. In GMS 2.3.4+ it feels, like mouse_x value is delayed (or even smoothed) by something, and when moving Windows cursor, sprite rather follows, than jumps.

I've checked sleep margin, windows scheduler - none of this settings seems to help. When using cursor_sprite issues are same - on GMS 1.4, 64x64 sprite seems to never be more far away than 70-80 pixels from Windows cursor, while on GMS2 it's usually about 150-200 pixels more far away (I've set same sleep margins = 10, no sync enabled on both).

However, this seems to work OK, if in GMS2 I will add display_set_timing_method(tm_sleep);. It seems it's then identical with GMS 1.4 ( @Stra , that function might interest you).

I'm not even sure if there's something to fix here then.

All shortcuts, default, for tile layers in room editor are not working, normally if you press S you should have a Selection tool and easy use it, after you just CTRL-C and V to copy and paste but nothing work, is impossible to select copy and paste in tile layers.

Stra

@Dan had the brilliant idea to check acceleration, mouse trails and other stuff in Windows, and when I turned the trails ON (not off) the lag practically disappeared!

Last edited:

gnysek

So this is rather Windows setting. I think that best solution for this issue is... to just not show Windows cursor in game window, if we're using custom one. Hard to qualify this as bug then :)

---

Going back to beta testing, two bugs:
1) when debugging, surface/texture previews got colors flipped (I think it's the same bug as in Image Editor, which was fixed in .385 - red and blue are flipped in IDE).
1632777070472.png

2) debugging cannot be paused if there's no step/draw event code in whole game (found that when creating example project for above).

As they are connected (can be done on same example file), I've reported them in one ticket, #188738 .

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Tile-editing shortcuts and both debugger issues mentioned above are now confirmed and added to the bug database.

The mouse one, I am writing up for further investigation later on, but this is now confirmed to be old (2.3.3 is actually the same, but as Piotr says this might be much older than that), machine-specific, and may also rely on external software "interacting" with the mouse as we see in the comments above.

Thanks, all!

gnysek

After restarting Beta version 5 minutes ago, a file named "options_operagx.yy" was added to my repo, and I noticed that Opera GX Options and Expoters became available (did I just get caught in middle of rolling this feature, and my license refreshed?).

Game compiles quickly, and it even starts in Opera GX, but after 3-4 frames, new tab opens with https://www.opera.com/gx, and game tab crashes with ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.
Edit: after clearing cookies, it just shows my game for 3-4 frames and then redirects to above address :)
Edit2: after updating to Opera GX 79.0.4143.73 it works :D

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
After restarting Beta version 5 minutes ago, a file named "options_operagx.yy" was added to my repo, and I noticed that Opera GX Options and Expoters became available (did I just get caught in middle of rolling this feature, and my license refreshed?).

Game compiles quickly, and it even starts in Opera GX, but after 3-4 frames, new tab opens with https://www.opera.com/gx, and game tab crashes with ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.
Edit: after clearing cookies, it just shows my game for 3-4 frames and then redirects to above address :)
Edit2: after updating to Opera GX 79.0.4143.73 it works :D
Welcome! To the world of tomorrow.....

Russell

Last edited:

gnysek

world of tomorrow
If Opera GX would become available for Tizen OS, then running games with Opera GX exporter would be possible also on some fridges with LCD screen, and that would be a world of tomorrow :p

I must say that this exporter is super-fast, and works better than normal HTML5 (probably because of WASM).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.