• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL 2.3.4 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaick

Hi, I'm having this issue: when I'm working with two windows opened, I try to change size of a sprite, then the IDE sometimes crash.
Also when I'm using F4 the zero now doens't work, it's written 5.

gnysek

Speaking of "brand new export", is OperaGX export available yet?
No, but it's confirmed for next version, so I'm sure that next beta will contain it. I found some translation strings for it already in (which spoils what technology they gonna use for this export), but it's not publicity available yet. Watch this forum category for 2.3.5 beta topic.

Seems the gonna have hard morning in Dundee with that Asset Browser bug...

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Since no one has really picked up on it yet, the order that features are in the roadmap is roughly the order that they will be released in. Some things require more work than others so may well be in development or pre-prod for some time before they make it into a release.

Also I dont think its been said yet but we are no longer in a quarterly release cycle are are aiming to release more often, watch this space for a cadence..

D

Deleted User

Downgrading did not solve my issue. The application is crashing but the IDE stays (mostly) open. Layouts-reset does rebuild the workspace but still cannot see any components of my game. I restored back to the latest version and reviewed the windows event log. It is throwing error messages indicating that gamemaker is crashing.

The only thing I can think of is that the new game I am working on uses a lot of the newer 2.3.x features like structs, sequences, nine slice etc. It was working just fine before I updated to the new version.

That all lead me to think I should reinstall .NET (using windows programs + features). Did that, rebooted, no dice. I do have a few versions of VS installed so on to that. Gamemaker was already using an older version of VS 2019. So I updated VS2019 to v16.11 with my fingers (and eyes) crossed to see if updating the hundreds of packages resolves the issue. Nope still doesn't work. Opened VS 2019 just to check it works and was able to compile a console app without issues.

Went back to the release notes and followed the windows setup guide from YoYo https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186048-Setting-Up-For-Windows -- all the settings look correct. As I say... I can create new projects and open other older games.

Is my game corrupted or something? Huge waste of time and super frustrated at this point. I would gladly use v2.3.3 if I could but it doesn't work either.

If it helps fix the issue the error in the event viewer is here:
View attachment 42870
this will fix it:

delete game maker.
run these commands on CMD.
install 2.3.3
Code:
rd /S /Q "C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\IDE"
rd /S /Q "C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\GameMakerStudio"
rd /S /Q "C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2"
you have now nativeimages for 2.3.4 but 2.3.3 will crash with them, so you need to remove them.
(dont worry, nativeimages are really not needed, they are just "optimizations" made by the installer).

EDIT:
run this one too (it is the failing .dll file)

Code:
rd /S /Q "C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\CoreResources"

EDIT2:
now that i look at the files on win\assembly, looks like gamemaker uninstaller does not remove the old files.
nativeimages are made by Ngen, they are supposed to improve performance, but it is not good idea to leave the old files there after uninstaller has been ran.
@yoyo_devs maybe make the uninstaller run a script to remove the files from assembly folder so it wont cause problems like these in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
now that i look at the files on win\assembly, looks like gamemaker uninstaller does not remove the old files.
nativeimages are made by Ngen, they are supposed to improve performance, but it is not good idea to leave the old files there after uninstaller has been ran, maybe make the uninstaller run a script to remove the files from assembly folder so it wont cause problems like these in the future?
The uninstaller should already be uninstalling the items from ngen... we will investigate.

Russell

kingyo

Ctrl + T with the room editor tab selected will create a tile layer. I can't open the resource search window. It looks like there is a shortcut conflict.
(I use window10, google IME)

poliver

After that update, nothing is working for me. Can't even create an object. My asset browser is empty. For example when i click to + button nothing shows up. I'm using Mac and my Mac is up to date.
Also i just checked that when i create new project everything is working fine. But when i open my projects nothing is working.
View attachment 42835
You probably have a filter enabled like custom order.

gnysek

You probably have a filter enabled like custom order.
Custom order isn't a filter, but type of sorting (when filters are applied green icon is added to search field), and from quoted image you can see, that clicking on menu to change filters/sorting does nothing.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have identified an issue opening any projects in 2.3.4 where you have added groups into your Room Manager ordering list. This is causing an error when trying to load the project in. We're fixing asap and there should also be an updated 2.3.4 soon to resolve the problem.

If you are in this situation, then you can still open the project in 2.3.3 and carry on there for just now, but you might need to reset your project layout that first time after opening the project in 2.3.3.

kingyo

I use google IME to type Japanese.

For a long time now, I've been having a problem with shortcuts not working when I type Japanese in IME.
It is a pity that this problem has not been solved for a long time, because the problem of losing control when typing Japanese is not seen in other software.
(Unfortunately, the number of Japanese users is very small, so I understand that this is a very low priority due to market principles.

In addition, this version seems to have changed the behaviour regarding IME.
(1) You can't input full-width space anymore.
(2) If you turn off IME in the middle of inputting Japanese, you can't input Japanese or alphanumeric characters after that.

I hope these problems will be improved in the future.
Thank you for your active updates and improvements!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Zhanghua

I use google IME to type Japanese.

For a long time now, I've been having a problem with shortcuts not working when I type Japanese in IME.
It is a pity that this problem has not been solved for a long time, because the problem of losing control when typing Japanese is not seen in other software.
(Unfortunately, the number of Japanese users is very small, so I understand that this is a very low priority due to market principles.

In addition, this version seems to have changed the behaviour regarding IME.
(1) You can't input full-width space anymore.
(2) If you turn off IME in the middle of inputting Japanese, you can't input Japanese or alphanumeric characters after that.

I hope these problems will be improved in the future.
Thank you for your active updates and improvements!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Yoyo discards asia....

vdweller

i can't put together a test project at the moment, but this collision has broken something related to collision checking while using place_meeting() between two objects with 1x1 sprites stretched to extremes (image_xscale values of over 1000 in one case). sorry for the vague comment but i'll try to get more details soon. anyone else seeing something similar?
Yes, here too.

DatZach

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hello,

Poor IDE Framerate Workaround
It seems like some people are experiencing poor framerates in IDE 2.3.4.

As a potential workaround try setting FNA3D_FORCE_DRIVER = D3D11 in your System Environment Variables. You can verify that the renderer has switched from OpenGL to Direct X in your ui.log on the next start.
Note that doing this will break multiple window support for the time being (Full fix for multiple window support in D3D11 is being worked on).
I would appreciate if those with this particular issue could try this work around and let me know if you still experience slow downs.

To add a new System Environment Variable you can:
- Search "Control Panel" and open
- Search "environment" in the search bar (top right)
- Click the "Edit the system environment variables" link
- Click the "Environment Variables" button
- Click the "New..." button in the "System variables" section
- Type FNA3D_FORCE_DRIVER in "Variable name" (case sensitive, make sure there are no spaces before or after)
- Type D3D11 in "Variable value" (case sensitive, make sure there are no spaces before or after)
- Click the "OK" button to close "New System Variable" window
- Click the "OK" button to close "Environment Variables" window
- Close GameMaker IDE if running
- Restart GameMaker IDE

Again verify that your ui.log (C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log) has a line that looks like the following at the bottom now:
Code:
[09:15:58:538(3c5d)] Initialise(4)
[09:16:16:9(3c5d)] FNA-Warn: Creating device in debug mode failed with error 887A002D. Trying non-debug.
[09:16:16:63(3c5d)] FNA-Info: FNA3D Driver: D3D11
[09:16:16:64(3c5d)] FNA-Info: D3D11 Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
IME Issues
We are looking into the IME issues in 2.3.4, very sorry for the inconvenience on the matter.

Cheers,
Zach Reedy

@Dan ,
Unfortunately latest version is buggy. Tried to generate a keystore via preference, it causes the IDE to freeze. The keystore is generated in the location designated at 3kb. When I tried to load the keystore file, it froze. When I try to 'show key hash' it again froze. Each time it freezes, must kill from task manager.

Edit:
NVM. I've solved the issue. Issue was on my end, I forgot to change the target to 'Android' before generating the keystore. Sorry.

Last edited:

COWCAT

Also I dont think its been said yet but we are no longer in a quarterly release cycle are are aiming to release more often, watch this space for a cadence..
Sounds great, will there be "long term support" releases though? Just concerned that faster releases may also lead to none of the versions being stable enough (seems like 2.3.4 has a few issues despite being labelled "stable")

Personally I value stability much more than new features. The main reason I'm doing updates is for consoles support which often require the latest GM version.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hello,

Poor IDE Framerate Workaround
It seems like some people are experiencing poor framerates in IDE 2.3.4.
If you do this and it works, then (as Zach says) please leave a comment here or send us a ticket saying that it works for you, just so we are aware. However, that is very much an experimental feature right now and it will break the ability to open multiple windows, such as by dragging any editor out of the current IDE or if you try to make the dopesheet in the sequence editor use its floating view. (It's the intended future renderer, as was mentioned in the IDE release notes, so if it works better for you already, then great, but it's not finished yet and we know you will have issues.)

Try Zach's workaround, let us know if that is better/worse for you, but then I'd recommend you undo those changes and a much safer remedy right now is to try using the software renderer, just like in previous versions of GMS2, as this won't cause crashes if you try to open secondary windows.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
NVM. I've solved the issue. Issue was on my end, I forgot to change the target to 'Android' before generating the keystore. Sorry.
Not a problem - that is 100% a bug and we have now found one of our machines does the same thing, so thanks for calling it out. No idea right now why changing to the Android target fixed it for you (it didn't fix it for us, and that shouldn't be required anyway). Either way, we have now reported it and will get it looked into for 2.3.5.

Eugene7A

A few additional comments from me on this new version:
- The previous version removed system arrows when you hover the mouse over edges of the elements, now they are back
- The size of everything was changed to a really small one, so I had to change the scaling, after some time everything worked well
- The font for the code was changed to an ugly one, but I don't even remember what font was there before (it was a good one), so I had to pick a font again and now it looks a bit worst than the default in the previous versions
- I work on Mac, but occationally launch GMS on Windows too for compiling, which requires to log in there, etc. So, after I logged in on Windows and everything worked fine, I couldn't launch GMS on Mac again, it was just crashing without any explanation (typical for Mac). I logged out from Windows GMS and this didn't help, I thought that was an issue, and what solved it was reinstalling the GMS on Mac. Maybe someone else will run into a similar problem, so it might help.

Smacktard

Since the update, numpad functions haven't been working for me. I can't use home/end/page up/page down, even though it works in other apps no problem.
Nobody has replied or commented on this issue but it's still giving me grief. When num lock is turned on, numbers work. When it's turned off, home, end, page up/down don't work at all. Only on GameMaker, and only after the update.

It's making editing code so frustrating I don't even want to bother with it. How can I revert to an older version via Steam?

edit: reverted to an older version; these buttons working again.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

- The font for the code was changed to an ugly one, but I don't even remember what font was there before (it was a good one), so I had to pick a font again and now it looks a bit worst than the default in the previous versions
I’m not at my PC to check and verify, but I‘m 99% sure the original font you want was Consolas.

slippy

this will fix it:

delete game maker.
run these commands on CMD.
install 2.3.3
Code:
rd /S /Q "C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\IDE"
rd /S /Q "C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\GameMakerStudio"
rd /S /Q "C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2"
you have now nativeimages for 2.3.4 but 2.3.3 will crash with them, so you need to remove them.
(dont worry, nativeimages are really not needed, they are just "optimizations" made by the installer).

EDIT:
run this one too (it is the failing .dll file)

Code:
rd /S /Q "C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\CoreResources"

EDIT2:
nativeimages are made by Ngen, they are supposed to improve performance, but it is not good idea to leave the old files there after uninstaller has been ran.
@yoyo_devs maybe make the uninstaller run a script to remove the files from assembly folder so it wont cause problems like these in the future?
Thanks for trying to assist me ! I truly appreciate it. The fix that worked for me in the end was from support:

We have identified the problem to be with Room Order Groups and an issue has been logged. You can roll back to a previous version of the IDE from here https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html but you will need to do a Layouts > Reset Layout (and make sure you roll back the runtime as well or things will not build) in order to have things show in the previous version.

I am now having issues with the mouse_check_button functions. During testing, I held down the left mouse button and registers as just pressed on the last frame at which the mouse button is being held down. I track each press status through cursor variables, so that's how I could tell about pressing statuses of the mouse. Anyone else having similar problems with this update? Example code is below:

GML:
pressed = mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left);
released = mouse_check_button_released(mb_left);

if (pressed) {
    pressing = true;
}
if (released) {
    pressing = false;
}

NeoShade

Has anybody noticed that the gridlines in the room editor are now blurry? I'm not sure if this is a result of this update or a previous one (haven't used GMS2 for a little while) but downloaded he latest version today and started a brand new project to find that the gridlines in the room editor are blurry, even when I click the Reset Zoom button. Double checked my windows settings and I'm definitely running at 100% scaling. Also checked the IDE settings and tried with and without DPI Override turned on, but still experience the issue.
Screenshot 2021-09-10 094541.png

Zhanghua

I am now having issues with the mouse_check_button functions. During testing, I held down the left mouse button and registers as just pressed on the last frame at which the mouse button is being held down. I track each press status through cursor variables, so that's how I could tell about pressing statuses of the mouse. Anyone else having similar problems with this update? Example code is below:

GML:
pressed = mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left);
released = mouse_check_button_released(mb_left);

if (pressed) {
    pressing = true;
}
if (released) {
    pressing = false;
}
pressing = mouse_check_button(mb_left)

pucone

I've just reported this, but in case anyone is seeing something similar:

-----

place_meeting() will sometimes fail to detect a collision between the following two objects:

oSolid: assigned a 1x1 sprite with an extreme (~3600) value for image_xscale
Object1: uses ellipse collision detection

...in the attached project file you'll see this works properly on the left side of the screen, but fails on the right side of the screen. This can be worked around by scaling up the sprite assigned to oSolid and reducing the value of image_xscale, but that wasn't necessary until 2.3.4.440.

Attachments

GameDevTosh

Seeing several reports (on GM discord) of colors being incorrect in the GM sprite editor (color replacement tool being one). One example being yellow and blue are completely switched. Several people have confirmed. Rollback to previous version has no issues, so its definitely the new version.

Attachments

I have a game that runs with a huge drop in framerate compared between 2.3.3 and 2.3.4
Using the old runtime or a version not at 2.3.4 the game leave me in that place about 800fps, with 2.3.4 less than 300.
Anyone made some stress test to see the performance ?

gnysek

the order that features are in the roadmap is roughly the order that they will be released in.
That's not good news at all, as intellisense fixes and new workflow are so low on that list, that it seems they gonna be released in second half of 2022, while it was stated during Q&A in march, that intellisense will come "later this year", and workflow update was on roadmap for Q4. I know we're not stick to quarters now, but even if there will be one release per 1-2 months, half year IMO is minimal time before first of those will be released (except skipping queue will be frequent for features :p). I'm little disappointed (especially about intellisense, as I'm using lot of structs), but of course I'm still waiting for those changes.

Not a problem - that is 100% a bug and we have now found one of our machines does the same thing, so thanks for calling it out. No idea right now why changing to the Android target fixed it for you (it didn't fix it for us, and that shouldn't be required anyway). Either way, we have now reported it and will get it looked into for 2.3.5.
It is? I thought it was me being dumb. LOL Guess I was lucky it worked. All I did was changed target to Android from 'Windows' after 3 times IDE froze, and manually deleting the keystore filename address (as it was pointing to an existing keystore file from previous project), before I again pressed 'generate keystore', gave it a name (same naming as was when it froze - small letter - alphabet only), it worked. Even double checked by pressing 'show key hash', no freezing.

efeberku

I updated the program, my first impression is good but old undo and redo system from the early 2021 was much much better.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
That's not good news at all, as intellisense fixes and new workflow are so low on that list, that it seems they gonna be released in second half of 2022, while it was stated during Q&A in march, that intellisense will come "later this year", and workflow update was on roadmap for Q4. I know we're not stick to quarters now, but even if there will be one release per 1-2 months, half year IMO is minimal time before first of those will be released (except skipping queue will be frequent for features :p). I'm little disappointed (especially about intellisense, as I'm using lot of structs), but of course I'm still waiting for those changes.
I too would like to get Intellisense improvements a little earlier.

I'm not sure how improved workflow depends on the earlier items (esp. the inspectors and maybe general changes to IDE rendering); it's in Pre-Production phase, so we probably won't see it very soon. Though making copy-paste work normally in Sprite Editor (without this weird "paste as new brush" thing) would be already a huge improvement to sprite editing. That, and maybe treating 0% opacity as a colour and not as a rubber; in general I feel like GM8 and GM:S 1.4 handled semi-transparent drawing much better.

if it's possible to split Intellisense improvements into smaller chunks and gradually add them in continuous version, I'd appreciate that a lot. Though I also can accept that certain changes (like adapting Intellisense hints to context) might require lots of prior groundwork (like making IDE properly recognise that context) that won't yield visible results which blocks these changes in the first place.

If it's any consolation, the "Find References" item is 7th on the pending items list (i.e. not already assigned to the GM version), which assuming 3-4 items per version would mean it'd come in version 2.3.7 or 2.3.8. And I imagine this kind of thing can help a lot with the primarily code-focused workflow.

Last edited:

Stra

Does the bug database not having been updated since 6th aug mean the developers will be/are moving to a new bug database? Some ancient bugs/problems were reported resolved in august, so I had high hopes, but now no updates on that front?

rIKmAN

Does the bug database not having been updated since 6th aug mean the developers will be/are moving to a new bug database? Some ancient bugs/problems were reported resolved in august, so I had high hopes, but now no updates on that front?
The bug database hasn't been public for ages, they made it private so it can't be viewed by us like the old one.

If you've ever had a support ticket for a bug they usually mention this in the reply.

kingyo

The longer I work in the IDE, the slower the Japanese input in the IME becomes.
The lag is too great to continue working; restarting the IDE will return to normal.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Seeing several reports (on GM discord) of colors being incorrect in the GM sprite editor (color replacement tool being one). One example being yellow and blue are completely switched. Several people have confirmed. Rollback to previous version has no issues, so its definitely the new version.
We are aware of this one - it's reported. Thanks.

gnysek

Seems that hotfix is out - v 580.

Change Since IDE 577

Room Manager: Fixed an issue where having Groups in your room order list would prevent the project loading and building in IDE 577 (ensure you update to runtime 441+ also)
UX/UI: Fixed that some editors would still apply hotkeys when renaming assets/instances via their name textfield (e.g., renaming a sprite "AA" inside the Sprite Editor would add two empty frames)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v2.3.4.580 and Runtime v2.3.4.442 are rolling out now to fix an issue a number of you reported, where if you have groups in your Room Manger's order tab this would cause your project to not load in 2.3.4. Note that you need to get the new runtime also, otherwise you will find the project will still error when trying to build it.

Also stops an issue in several editors where renaming an asset or room instance via the name field on the editor itself would still respect hotkey commands - so, trying to name a Sprite "AA" via the name textfield on the Sprite Editor, for example, would also add 2 empty frames into the sprite.

Those are the only fixes in this update just now.

I am unable to rightclick on my mac (control + click). This means I can't duplicate objects/sprites, delete layers etc. Anyting that requires use of the right click drop down menu. Rightclick works fine in other programmes. I am also unable to zoom in/out on the the workspace using my touchpad, whereas I could previously. Finally the IDE is massively zoomed in compared to what it was previously, which I have since fixed by changing the DPI settings.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Thanks @Dan, are these fixes going to roll out to the beta version as well or just the stable?
I would suggest you update your Stable.

(The fixes will of course be in the next Beta, whenever it comes; however, at this time we are not intending on another 2.3.4 Beta release to bring it up to current with Stable.)

rIKmAN

(The fixes will of course be in the next Beta, whenever it comes; however, at this time we are not intending on another 2.3.4 Beta release to bring it up to current with Stable.)
Okay thanks for clarifying, I don't use Stable as I need 2.2.5 installed for maintenance on some older projects so I'll just roll back until there's a new beta.

I was wondering why I wasn't being prompted to update when launching it.

Zhanghua

When to fix the IME issue of Asia?
The v2.3.4.580 also has the same problem.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I don't work with GMS much anymore for actual game dev, and stick usually to extension development, so any input I have about updates is usually very limited, and that's why in these topics I normally don't have much to say other than keep up the good work. The biggest reason is full games are just way too ambitious for me to pull off these days due lack of motivation. It's not because YoYo is doing anything wrong on their end with GameMaker, and I'm quite happy with the place things are heading.

I too would like to get Intellisense improvements a little earlier.

I'm not sure how improved workflow depends on the earlier items (esp. the inspectors and maybe general changes to IDE rendering); it's in Pre-Production phase, so we probably won't see it very soon. Though making copy-paste work normally in Sprite Editor (without this weird "paste as new brush" thing) would be already a huge improvement to sprite editing. That, and maybe treating 0% opacity as a colour and not as a rubber; in general I feel like GM8 and GM:S 1.4 handled semi-transparent drawing much better.

if it's possible to split Intellisense improvements into smaller chunks and gradually add them in continuous version, I'd appreciate that a lot. Though I also can accept that certain changes (like adapting Intellisense hints to context) might require lots of prior groundwork (like making IDE properly recognise that context) that won't yield visible results which blocks these changes in the first place.

If it's any consolation, the "Find References" item is 7th on the pending items list (i.e. not already assigned to the GM version), which assuming 3-4 items per version would mean it'd come in version 2.3.7 or 2.3.8. And I imagine this kind of thing can help a lot with the primarily code-focused workflow.
If you are interested in good intellisense (and early error detection) you should try GMEdit:

It's magic!

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi!
The new version of GMS 2 is using a lot of GPU when the IDE it's focused, I don't know if that's normal...

There's no lag for me, but it could be the reason other users are reporting performance issues.
GMS 2 Framerate: 60 FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.