• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL 2.3.4 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.4.580 Runtime v2.3.4.442 (Sept 10, 2021)

IDE v2.3.4.580 and Runtime v2.3.4.442 fix an issue a number of you reported, where if you have groups in your Room Manger's order tab this would cause your project to not load in 2.3.4. Note that you need to get the new runtime also, otherwise you will find the project will still error when trying to build it.

Also stops an issue in several editors where renaming an asset or room instance via the name field on the editor itself would still respect hotkey commands - so, trying to name a Sprite "AA" via the name textfield on the Sprite Editor, for example, would also add 2 empty frames into the sprite.

Those are the only fixes in this update just now.

Initial Release - IDE v2.3.4.577 Runtime v2.3.4.440 (Sept 08, 2021)

Please see the two release notes links just above for the full info. This one may look like a small release, but it is most definitely not - an awful lot of underlying tooling has been changed, so please do bear this in mind and do report your issues to the contact-us form linked a little above.

We did also change Visual Studio versions for several targets - anything which used 2015 has now been updated to the latest version we could. Please do check your setups before filing any bugs about projects no longer building!

Similarly, Google released Android Studio 4.3 just a few days ago. That was too late to be supported in this release, so please stick with 4.2 for now and we will investigate if changes are required ahead of GMS2 2.3.5.

Note that this stable release does not include the Ubuntu IDE beta, and anyone interested in that should see the "How to get Betas" FAQ on the Helpdesk as per normal.

The English manual is already available on the website and to download. The other translations are underway and will be uploaded throughout the rest of this week.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Yay! Thank you so much for the update! Everything seems working fine. (Windows IDE here).

Glad now the problem with functions on chained arrays in HTML5 is fixed!
I updated Android Studio to 4.2 this morning before the update, I compiled my game and it's working properly. (Even YYC).

Last edited:

gnysek

As I've updated GMS a lot in recent 2-3 weeks, and now we have Indie subscription which offers a lot of exports, I would love to see "runtimes on demand" functionality in next IDE - when running new install we can select which runtimes should be downloaded and which skipped, and others will be downladed later from preferences screen or by changing target in right-top corner. That would save lot of time when installing new versions!

Would be also good to see https://www.yoyogames.com/en/roadmap updated, and https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-RoadMap removed or replaced with link to prior.

Cpaz

• In-Game: Fixed the scheduler/vsync changes in 2.3.3 which caused low FPS values for some users of high-refresh monitors
Oh. Didn't even realize this was still an issue.
GM has had a fair few issues with high refresh rates, huh?

gnysek

The worst thing is that there's probably no way to fix it other than buying specific monitor to office... and maybe that's why that issue still needed some fixes, as there still might be very specific configurations.

Zhanghua

Aha, 2.3.5 will coming!!!!

But chinese IME bug still exists in last beta and release.

// I thought the shift switching problem was solved. ...
我还以为shift切换问题解决了。。
// And other CN IME do not support the cursor to follow ?
还有其它输入法就不支持输入光标跟随了吗?
// Why so urgent ! bad release!
着什么急!太拉垮了
// yoyosb!
yoyosb

Last edited:

hxyy

There are bug in IME support
The delete key is invalid when deleting a character from the candidate word state
The word "删除" from the picture
删除 = delete = backspace
yysbbug.gif

DatZach

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Aha, 2.3.5 will coming!!!!

But chinese IME bug still exists in last beta and release.

// I thought the shift switching problem was solved. ...
我还以为shift切换问题解决了。。
// And other CN IME do not support the cursor to follow ?
还有其它输入法就不支持输入光标跟随了吗?
// Why so urgent ! bad release!
着什么急!太拉垮了
// yoyosb!
yoyosb
The shift button should be working with the Chinese IME as of the Stable release. Are you experiencing issues with the Chinese IME as of 2.3.4 Stable?

Zhanghua

The shift button should be working with the Chinese IME as of the Stable release. Are you experiencing issues with the Chinese IME as of 2.3.4 Stable?
Yes, 2.3.4 in the steam, And I have retreated to old version and delete the 234 just now. 😂 😂

Cpaz

OK. I'm getting excited for the next release now. With all of the listed changed on the road map, 2.3.5 seems like it's going to be a very beefy update as far as workflow improvements.
(Especially rebindable key mapping, HALLELUJAH!!!)

But the fact that all of the backend IDE changes are likely being leveraged, this update was definitely needed. With the Debian-based Ubuntu ide being a very nice bonus.

foxyfie

why do we have to uninstall the old version for an update?
can't it just overwrite the files? like any other software/program

Syntax

After that update, nothing is working for me. Can't even create an object. My asset browser is empty. For example when i click to + button nothing shows up. I'm using Mac and my Mac is up to date.
Also i just checked that when i create new project everything is working fine. But when i open my projects nothing is working.
ezgif-1-50f420172ea7.gif

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
why do we have to uninstall the old version for an update?
can't it just overwrite the files? like any other software/program
Overwriting a file is functionally the same as deleting it and creating a new one...

TL;DR you really want a clean slate when installing to have things predictable: partially because of files potentially being removed, and you don't want deprecated/cancelled stuff lying around, and partially so that if the installation was interrupted partway through (e.g. power outage), you can instantly tell what files you're missing (much harder if you're mixing two versions). You could solve that with like, SHA256 sums of every file, but I have a hunch the local optimization shenanigans makes every copy personalized so they'd have different hashes.

gnysek

FYI the roadmap is never going to be updated within 15 minutes of a release..
1631117116985.png

We have Wednesday today, release was build on Monday, it's much more than 15 minutes. Releases are always made on internal channel first (even week before), and just pushed to public when tested, so I see no problem with even postponing release by a few hours, to upload manual, translations and roadmap first.

Last edited:

COWCAT

Aside from having to switch to Visual Studio 2019 for YYC, it seems to work fine.

Just two things :
- The current script in the editor is constantly marked as not saved (*) on the tab, and I'm certain I haven't made any meaningful change aside from changing my cursor position. Not sure how to reproduce it yet but it's constantly happening and saving does not remove the *, I need to (for example) add a space and then save. Anyone else noticed this?
- There's still the bug with white font on white background on inputs with Light skin. (already reported)

Just updated to latest version on my Mac and everything in the IDE is now massive- all of the fonts, icons etc. It looks like I've gone back to 1995. Is there a setting or something I can change to set it back to how it was in the previous version?

IDE v2.3.4.577, Runtime v.2.3.4.440
macOS 11.5.2 (Big Sur)

gnysek

- The current script in the editor is constantly marked as not saved (*) on the tab, and I'm certain I haven't made any meaningful change aside from changing my cursor position. Not sure how to reproduce it yet but it's constantly happening and saving does not remove the *, I need to (for example) add a space and then save. Anyone else noticed this?
I also noticed this, it usually happens to me when I hit "run/F5" without saving project first - tabs are being marked as saved and when game starts, asterisk (*) is back on those tabs as long, as I change at least one character and save.

Smacktard

Since the update, numpad functions haven't been working for me. I can't use home/end/page up/page down, even though it works in other apps no problem.

COWCAT

I also noticed this, it usually happens to me when I hit "run/F5" without saving project first - tabs are being marked as saved and when game starts, asterisk (*) is back on those tabs as long, as I change at least one character and save.
Yes, I confirm there's definitely a bug. When that happens and I Undo then Redo the * disappears... which is proof that I had, indeed, saved.

BenRK

Don't know if this has been brought up, but the UI scaling is off on my laptop. Easy enough to adjust, just something of note. M1 Macbook Air.

BenRK

Just updated to latest version on my Mac and everything in the IDE is now massive- all of the fonts, icons etc. It looks like I've gone back to 1995. Is there a setting or something I can change to set it back to how it was in the previous version?

IDE v2.3.4.577, Runtime v.2.3.4.440
macOS 11.5.2 (Big Sur)
I fixed it on my Mac by adjusting the DPI settings in GMS's General Settings. Enable DPI Override and find a percentage that works for you. I found 75% works best for my Air.

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the update, nice work yoyo :D👍

There was some changes on manual, so how do i update the offline manual? or is it updated automatically? @Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

pucone

i can't put together a test project at the moment, but this collision has broken something related to collision checking while using place_meeting() between two objects with 1x1 sprites stretched to extremes (image_xscale values of over 1000 in one case). sorry for the vague comment but i'll try to get more details soon. anyone else seeing something similar?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
After that update, nothing is working for me. Can't even create an object. My asset browser is empty. For example when i click to + button nothing shows up. I'm using Mac and my Mac is up to date.
Also i just checked that when i create new project everything is working fine. But when i open my projects nothing is working.
View attachment 42835
Go to the top > windows > reset layout

gnysek

There was some changes on manual, so how do i update the offline manual? or is it updated automatically? @Dan
It should update manually right after they upload new version to servers, that's why I criticized uploading it after release (which rIKmAN disliked...).

It should be however updated now, as I can see syntax highlighting (which is new for this release) in online version: https://manual.yoyogames.com/#t=GameMaker_Language/GML_Overview/Runtime_Functions.htm

gnysek

Yeah, I know it was a whining, but they updated it and now we know that not all "In progress" features are (for now, as that might change) coming in 2.3.5 - https://www.yoyogames.com/en/roadmap .

Btw. on Ubuntu I also have that issue with Asset listing being empty when using custom sorting, like on @Syntax image few posts above. Changing it to different one was fixing it.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yeah, I know it was a whining, but they updated it and now we know that not all "In progress" features are (for now, as that might change) coming in 2.3.5 - https://www.yoyogames.com/en/roadmap .
To be fair, a brand new export option is already quite a huge change deserving an update of its own.
Sure would be nice to get some coding quality of life improvements sooner than later, but I think this update is already plenty.

Also, I'd like to point out that 2.3.4 came out well before the end of Q3 (and after slightly delayed 2.3.3 update, at that). So maybe we won't need to wait 3-ish months for each significant update anymore? I sure wouldn't mind more frequent new-feature-release cycle (especially now after the subscriptions were introduced and Opera resources invested).

I sent in a ticket. If I copy and paste something in the sprite editor it blurs and and you can't undo it. It destroyed a big piece of sprite art I made. Blurred the whole thing and I can't unblur it. Thank goodness for Aseprite having backups. I'm afraid to even touch the rest of my project now!

Attachments

gnysek

So maybe we won't need to wait 3-ish months for each significant update anymore?
I think that will mostly depends on beta results, sadly there's too few volunteers to find all bugs before stable release, and while we have it pushed faster (no more reports), as we can see above - it have some issues (I'm not blaming YYG here, as those bugs are probably because of some specific hardware/software combinations, that YYG wasn't able to reproduce at their offices).

As a reminder for those that didn't participated in beta yet, beta version is installed aside of normal GMS, so you don't need to rollback when using it, and you can have two versions (stable and beta) at once. Of course it's good to backup any project that is going to be opened in beta, to not lose work (or if you're using git, commit & push before opening project, so you can reset it when something crashes - git diff might also be helpful to find bug in .yy files in that case!).

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.4.577 Runtime v2.3.4.440 (Sept 08, 2021)

Please see the two release notes links just above for the full info. This one may look like a small release, but it is most definitely not - an awful lot of underlying tooling has been changed, so please do bear this in mind and do report your issues to the contact-us form linked a little above.

We did also change Visual Studio versions for several targets - anything which used 2015 has now been updated to the latest version we could. Please do check your setups before filing any bugs about projects no longer building!

Similarly, Google released Android Studio 4.3 just a few days ago. That was too late to be supported in this release, so please stick with 4.2 for now and we will investigate if changes are required ahead of GMS2 2.3.5.

Note that this stable release does not include the Ubuntu IDE beta, and anyone interested in that should see the "How to get Betas" FAQ on the Helpdesk as per normal.

The English manual is uploading now and will be available on the website and to download today (I will remove this comment when it is done). The other translations are underway and will be uploaded throughout the rest of this week.
After updating my projects will not display any content. The asset browser is empty and I cannot run anything.

View attachment 42835
Im having the same issue, hopefully they fix this.

splatdog

I am having exactly the same issue. Except I am using Windows 10. My workspace and asset browser are empty. I cannot run my project at all.

gnysek

Bug with overlapping masks from different layers still exists in 2.3.4 ( #184357 ).

1631143347064.png

(selected thing is mask of red rectangle, but as you can see mask of blue rectangle causes that part of red rectangle outside of it's own mask is shown too - so while both masks are in different groups, they are merging).

Inspector tabs still are animating even if animations are disabled ( #184928 ).

To be fair, a brand new export option is already quite a huge change deserving an update of its own.
Sure would be nice to get some coding quality of life improvements sooner than later, but I think this update is already plenty.

Also, I'd like to point out that 2.3.4 came out well before the end of Q3 (and after slightly delayed 2.3.3 update, at that). So maybe we won't need to wait 3-ish months for each significant update anymore? I sure wouldn't mind more frequent new-feature-release cycle (especially now after the subscriptions were introduced and Opera resources invested).
Speaking of "brand new export", is OperaGX export available yet? I know it was said "soon" when it was announced, but just how "soon" is this soon anyway. 🤔

slippy

I'm having the same issues as other people [IDE opens but cannot see see/do much of anything]. I removed the old version, upgraded to the new version (on windows 10) and installed 2.3.4.577. After the update the game I am working on is missing everything. Cannot even see the rooms, settings etc. blank. Other games that I open work as expected. I have been updating every time I see a stable release as I enjoy the bugfixes etc. Do I need to downgrade?

Edit #3: After a lot of troubleshooting and submitting a bugfix Yoyo games came back with a solution that worked! Sharing in case this helps anybody. I'm sure a permanent fix is around the corner soon.

We have identified the problem to be with Room Order Groups and an issue has been logged. You can roll back to a previous version of the IDE from here https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html but you will need to do a Layouts > Reset Layout (and make sure you roll back the runtime as well or things will not build) in order to have things show in the previous version.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.