• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Farmer Karma

Pixel Logo3.png

My entry for the Brackey gamejam 2021.2
Play in browser

Nurture a swarm of locusts to desolate a farm.

Mother Nature is unhappy with the way we are treating the planet and has decided to strike back! Not only has a snowstorm hit in the middle of summer, rapidly multiplying locusts are attacking the food supply. The fate of humanity is in your hands.

Instructions:
  • Use mouse to guide swarm
  • Anything yellow is edible
  • Eat to reproduce
  • Watch out for chickens

How to win:
  • Eat all the food! But if all locusts die, it’s game over.

Game details:
  • Hold mouse down to jump even when swarm is close to the mouse
  • Health of each individual locust is indicated by its jump height
  • When a locust eats, its health is restored to full.
  • When an individual food is fully eaten (e.g. 1x tree), a new locust will spawn.
  • Each jump reduces health slightly.
  • Chickens love to eat bugs, and farmers will protect their cost with their life
  • Move mouse in circle to create larger swarm area.
  • Once a locust starts eating, it will not leave until it has finished the food. Plan carefully

What a fun little game. The core concept of an all-consuming swarm is great, it's very satisfying to strip things down to the roots. I think it'd be good if the locusts "honed in" on food sources as they got close, as it was quite hard to get them all eating sometimes and I had a fair few die while they were right beside stuff because they kept jumping around it. Also, maybe a bit quicker move speed, hahaha, jumping slowly over to another patch of food as locust upon locust falls prey to hunger can be a little frustrating. Great job overall though!

Pretty cool.. Reminds me a little of "the day the earth stood still"..
Thanks! I haven't seen it, I will have to watch it! How so?

The core concept of an all-consuming swarm is great, it's very satisfying to strip things down to the roots.
I'm so glad to hear it was satisfying, is there anything that could be done to make it even more satisfying?

I think it'd be good if the locusts "honed in" on food sources as they got close, as it was quite hard to get them all eating sometimes and I had a fair few die while they were right beside stuff because they kept jumping around it.
That's a very good point, I see what you mean. I'll see what I can do! It's very frustrating now that I've noticed it

Also, maybe a bit quicker move speed, hahaha, jumping slowly over to another patch of food as locust upon locust falls prey to hunger can be a little frustrating.
This absolutely will be addressed in the next version too, the reason why movement is so slow is because when I was testing, I was using a different (uglier) map that was all bunched together. Then I made a prettier map in the last 10 minutes with all the art spread out. And now you notice how slowly they move but it was too late to fix it for the jam

Thank you so much for the feedback!

After asking every commenter on the jam page for feedback, this is the summary! Along with how many times it was suggested.

Strongest feedback
27x Gameplay progression/movement is too slow.
9x Chickens are too OP
9x More developed version of this could make a really great game
8x Not enough stuff to do
6x Bigger window
5x Allow the swarm to get even bigger
4x Really hard to hit a specific point even when you have a big swarm
4x indicator of insect abundance
4x More sfx
3x More levels
3x Controls are unresponsive/confusing at first

Gameplay / Controls
2x Food sources should give more insects
2x Need a certain amount of bugs to destroy certain things (including metal)
2x Add abilities for bugs, they can acquire if they eat some special kind of food
  • Increase Move Speed
  • Increase Munching Speed
  • Bigger Bug, that can eat larger area and stronger, maybe he can eat the ducks lol.
  • Transport all bugs elsewhere
  • Increase maximum swarm size (Longer time spent at maximum?
2x Not clear that locusts are starving (they just despawn)
1x lacking an overall goal (reaching a destination (like they're migrating) or you have to destroy (I'm using this loosely) something)
1x Ability to zoom
1x Have a max swarm size

Chickens
1x Player should be able to counter chickens
1x Chickens could fall asleep after eating a certain number of locusts
1x Not clear that the chickens are damaging your swarm
1x Chickens should be able to see you from further away
1x Chickens should breed! Lay eggs.

Mob Suggestions
2x Needs more variation in enemies
2x Cows
2x Pesticides (by tractor or plane)
1x Add a river, with a brige where you would lose bugs
1x Cities
1x roads where vehicles drive on which smash you
1x storm (thinking about Fortnite, where the the storm damages you and circles you and restricts the playingfield).

Issues:
2x Bugs are hidden in the environment while they are eating
1x Music a bit too epic (happy atmosphere would be more fitting, since the whole game has a fun setting nintendo-like or arcade-like)
1x The map has no boundary

Suggestions:
2x Larger fields
1x A slightly more populated area
1x More obstacles
1x the camera should zoom out when population grows
1x More things to eat
1x Larger buildings
1x Cars
1x Add some slight randomness (wind, fire, even humans). keep each element as simple/logical as possible
1x Grassy area
1x Ability to split the swarm - use part of the swarm to distract chickens
1x old egyptian town map
1x once your swarm is big enough, certain objects change to yellow to be devourable.
1x Trees fall over when you devour them
1x look to other simulation games for inspiration.
1x Random events like SimCity
1x Previously destroyed farms / barren wasteland.
1x the player could choose where to start out from
1x Infinitely generated map
1x larger groups of chickens

Last edited:

Repix

Love the detail on that Deutz tractor and the cultivator right there bro!

Love the minimalistic tiny graphics! Really good use of pixels right there!

1632778033480.png

"Gane over!" Also I couldn't find the last remaining food? No idea where that was.

Last edited:
Love the detail on that Deutz tractor and the cultivator right there bro!
Are you a farmer? It's just luck if anything is accurate, I have no knowledge!

Love the minimalistic tiny graphics! Really good use of pixels right there!
Thank you!

"Gane over!"
It was a very rushed last second addition to make it so you could "lose"! Hence the typo.

Also I couldn't find the last remaining food? No idea where that was.
Haha oops! I think I accidentally didn't remove food attributes from world objects that couldn't be eaten (e.g. sheds) which still counted towards the final food total at the end. Well done! You won! Did you have any suggestions?

Repix

Are you a farmer? It's just luck if anything is accurate, I have no knowledge!

Thank you!

It was a very rushed last second addition to make it so you could "lose"! Hence the typo.

Haha oops! I think I accidentally didn't remove food attributes from world objects that couldn't be eaten (e.g. sheds) which still counted towards the final food total at the end. Well done! You won! Did you have any suggestions?
I used to be when I was a kid, still great knowledge in the "FIELD" however ;)

Just wanted to point it out. I don't really see any way to improve it much other than fixing the food issue.. It's pretty great! Music is good, graphics are good, original concept and everything! Well done! :)