• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL New, More Affordable Pricing For Sharing and Publishing Games

Amon

Thanks to @Kezarus, I have removed the dislikes I placed on @Shut posts. I think they were not needed and may have fueled the small flames that ensued.

I will say that, yes I disagree with @Shut opinion on the new pricing model, and that disagreement doesn't need to be one where I am downvoting posts with a dislike.

Apologies to @Shut. I still disagree with your opinion on where this will lead GMS. At the end of the day though, you are not unique in your thinking and there will doubtless be others who see it the way you do. I think the important thing here is that YoYo have potentially lost a long time developer. This is obviously not good. Unfortunately, it's out of our hands what Opera/YoYo pick as a pricing model. It's a bit like a double edge sword. Someone, not matter what, will get cut.

Graham1953

There's a huge difference between support models, one is about forcing to pay each month and the other is a donation model where you're free to do as you wish. I'm choosing to support the right model in this case, just like you would make any other decision that you think is right or wrong.
I aviod the pay as you go like the plague, It is like have a hole in your wallet. Well this giveaway is all very lordable but do people that have payed get a refund?

drandula

Well this is an interesting development 🤔 I do have bit mixed but positive feelings, though I do own permanent licenses.

What got my interest is that console exports become more accessable, as personally I previously felt their price was bit too high. Also currently it seems I can get free subscription for couple of months, so that will be be nice to try out.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My 5 cents: this is an objective improvement. GM's biggest strength has always been that it's the easiest engine to learn, and now the barrier of entry has been significantly reduced (permanent trial version + subscription license is an order of magnitude cheaper than a Desktop license). New users will be drawn in by the free version, get a subscription when they want to release their games, and then already be so invested in their projects (sunk cost fallacy + ikea effect) that there's no going back. I've seen several people ditch GM because of the limited trial version holding their projects hostage, now it's going to be much easier to recommend it to people.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Welp....I don't like it, but reality it is. It ends up pretty close to if not cheaper than paying for new versions as they come out anyway for many people, so the actual price is not the issue people are making it out to be. It CERTAINLY does not mean the death of the software. I agree that some people will move on to other things mostly based on principle and that they won't support ANY subscription based software. Those are the same people that have to use other software than Adobe for example, even if Adobe has the best products(many think so anyway). I'd say most of us here think that Gamemaker is the best product for what it does so it is the same idea. Business is business though, if the current model was sustainable, then they would have kept it. Obviously it wasn't working, and Opera is smart enough to make changes(or let Yoyogames make the changes) instead of let it get worse and worse over time like Playtech did.

You people need to understand, your license to GMS2 is NOT changing(nor is mine). It is not going away. Even if you "use" it to get free months of the subscription, it has already been said that it is STILL not going away. The only time it goes away is when the software literally no longer works for the systems at that time. People are still using GM8, and even moreso GMS1, because they have chosen not to upgrade to GMS2. Yoyogames may have defects, but I've never seen them just flat out do us customers wrong, and I don't expect them to do so any time in the future. Even when they were owned by Playtech they did the best they could. I'm sure they will eventually have to release the next version, GMS3, or just "Gamemaker" or whatever they decide to call it. At that point, they will likely do how they did with GMS1, maybe give it some bug fixes and release a "permanent stable" version. That version will last forever, as long as it can run on modern PCs, and until the ever changing mobile exports have issues.

D

Deleted member 13992

Perpetual licence
There will be no changes to your existing plans. If you want to expand your platform publishing options, then you will need to choose the relevant tier where you will also benefit from our upgrade discounts. We provide 1 year of free access to our “Indie” tier for each perpetual licence you own.
For those of us with perpetual desktop export licenses, what happens when that year expires? Do we lose the ability to export to desktop since that is now an indie-tier-only feature?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
For those of us with perpetual desktop export licenses, what happens when that year expires? Do we lose the ability to export to desktop since that is now an indie-tier-only feature?
Note that this is only "if you want to EXPAND your platform publishing options" (read: upgrade to Indie). If you want everything to stay the same (perpetual license for exports you already bought), then everything stays the same. You do not lose anything. Even if you do upgrade to Indie, you still retain your perpetual licenses, so after that time expires, all that expires is the Indie license, not the perpetual ones.

As a person who used gamemaker since version 6. I can say this is the best move... I paid for gamemaker studio 1 maximum edition and i was PISSED when i could not receive BUG FIXES anymore. For any one who is serious about game making, this is a VERY good deal. You pay that tto netflix anyway and does not watch movies everyday xD

Nothing changes. You can try out the new tiers for a period of time for free if you have permanent, but when that time trial expires, your permanent is still there just fine. If you own permanent, nothing will change for you no matter what you do. Which is the only thing that has kept me from being as negative about it as some others have been.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What happens when that year expires? Do we lose the ability to export to desktop since that is now an indie-tier-only feature?
No. You still have your permanent licence.

Seems like they are completely ignoring the majority of the users.
Sorry, but you are not the majority... At the moment it's way to early to say what the majority is, but at the moment, most peoplñe seem to be fairly receptive to the change, especially as everyone with a licence keeps their licence.

chamaeleon

Your license to 2.x is permanent and won't go away. The corollary here is that if you're on the subscription and happily get version 3.x and then later decide to stop subscribing you are back to having version 2.x permanently. What this will do to your project source files with respect to compatibility, well, I think it goes without saying that you should not expect it to always work (like with most software packages where newer versions tend to be able to import files from an earlier version, but not necessarily the other way around). Plan accordingly.

Shut

Sorry, but you are not the majority... At the moment it's way to early to say what the majority is, but at the moment, most peoplñe seem to be fairly receptive to the change, especially as everyone with a licence keeps their licence.
Alright.. I'm out of this community too for good I think. The thing that you need a subscription model now and your userbase is shrinking is pointing at that you're losing the majority of users. A few people voicing their opinions on this forum is not a majority. If you think it is then good luck too. Also, what a way to respect someone who's been promoting and supporting GM since 2001 than saying you're not a majority.

D

Deleted member 13992

Note that this is only "if you want to EXPAND your platform publishing options" (read: upgrade to Indie). If you want everything to stay the same (perpetual license for exports you already bought), then everything stays the same. You do not lose anything. Even if you do upgrade to Indie, you still retain your perpetual licenses, so after that time expires, all that expires is the Indie license, not the perpetual ones.
Thanks for the info. Sometimes when something isn't explicitly stated, you have to ask. Legal speak and ToS' can be sneaky like that.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Alright.. I'm out of this community too for good I think. The thing that you need a subscription model now and your userbase is shrinking is pointing at that you're losing the majority of users. A few people voicing their opinions on this forum is not a majority. If you think it is then good luck too.
You forget that I worked at YYG for 9 years and have a fair idea of the demographics of the userbase. If you want to back up your claims of the majority being against this change then come at me with figures and actual information and not just an opinion. And note that what I say is nothing more and nothing less than MY opinion, and I don't agree with you based on my experiences and what I see on this forum. Weren't you saying earlier something about everyone having a a right to an opinion or something?

Relax dude, this is a community forum where everyone is free to express their opinions and I just expressed mine. I think I do deserve some kind of certainty as well after using GM since v.3.0.
I'm just disagreeing with you, but it's nothing against YOU personally.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
@Kezarus Also, reading all this makes me wish I had made the switch much earlier instead of using GM just for staying loyal and supporting it. Seems like they are completely ignoring the majority of the users.
I understand you, mate. I thought of change engines before starting my game now and I stayed for the comfort. I regret some aspects, but not in general.

Analysing in a very selfish standpoint... we already have the permanent license and this change nothing to both of us. I don't see GM 3.X coming up anytime soon and YoYo keep making changes in business model. So it's only logical to stay in my humble opinion. =]

(but, boi, these business changes stress me out! XD)

Hehe, couldn't help but take a peak. This is a wild discussion. I see where everyone is coming from.

Agreement #2 - Don't Take Anything Personally (The Four Agreements. If you haven't read the series, check it out haha)

@Shut - I wish you the best man. I've been around off and on since around that era as well. GM has come a long way since those days :)

Shut

You forget that I worked at YYG for 9 years and have a fair idea of the demographics of the userbase. If you want to back up your claims of the majority being against this change then come at me with figures and actual information and not just an opinion. And note that what I say is nothing more and nothing less than MY opinion, and I don't agree with you based on my experiences and what I see on this forum. Weren't you saying earlier something about everyone having a a right to an opinion or something?

I'm just disagreeing with you, but it's nothing against YOU personally.
Sorry, I'm outta here. You can state your opinion without making someone else want to change their own, that's what you're really trying to do and seeing this coming from someone who is trying to moderate the forum which is officially linked to GM is as sad as it can get. You've worked for YYG for 9 years and I've been using it for 20 years, now good luck satisfying the customers.

Blekoh

Honestly this is really a frustrating move. I’ve used GM since I was a kid and I’m 28 now. I’ve published a few steam games. The option of a perpetual license for each version is a massive reason I’ve continued using it and is actually the main reason I recommend it to people. I stopped using an engine that rhymes with junity when they implemented subscription models a long time ago.

I’ve gifted a few perpetual licenses to friends and people interested in getting into game development, and as a kid I got licenses as presents when I couldn’t afford to buy them. Monthly subscriptions completely do away with that. If Gamemaker studio was subscription only I would absolutely not be using it like I am today.

I understand the company needs to make money and sustain itself and the writing has probably been on the wall for a long time but the game I am currently working on will probably be the last one with GM since a subscription model is not for me. Monthly fees eat heavily in published indie games (lots of which make $200-$1000 in their lifetime) so it doesn’t make sense as an indie developer when there are free alternatives. Also I know my perpetual license will stay perpetual but I think the writing is also on the wall to change gms2 to either just Game Maker Studio or 3 and letting the perpetual licenses fizzle out.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
This is so bad, I'm a user with a perpetual license, and needed this feature, builds games in GMS is so hard in comparison with Unity or Godot, is this feature is only for Enterprise users, is not a good deal.
You already can invoke GMAssetCompiler and/or Igor yourself (see builder and stitch for reference) - I'm assuming that Enterprise will include more a intuitive (read: no need to provide temporary directory/etc. paths yourself) CLI tool.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Sorry, I'm outta here. You can state your opinion without making someone else want to change their own, that's what you're really trying to do and seeing this coming from someone who is trying to moderate the forum which is officially linked to GM is as sad as it can get.
Fair enough and I'm honestly sad to see ANY member go. As far as I am concerned a discussion is all about changing things, and sometimes you'll change my mind, sometimes I'll change yours and sometimes neither will change. That's all fine!!! And note, I wouldn't be the forum Administrator if I didn't love GameMaker, and if I'm still admin after leaving the company it's because I love this community and the product, not YYG. I have criticised them before and will do so again, but in this case I genuinely think it's a good move and it has nothing to do with my time working for them.

hdarren

New users will be drawn in by the free version, get a subscription when they want to release their games, and then already be so invested in their projects (sunk cost fallacy + ikea effect) that there's no going back.
This is absolutely delusional. Nobody is going to pay $10 just to release a game jam game.

Fluxy

I created an account just to reply to this, because I think it's important.
From my point of view, the new model is both good and very bad. Let's start with the good thing : Making GMS free with full functionnality except export is a good step forward, It lets people experiment with It without limitations so they can learn to use and appreciate the engine, and only paying when they think the game's ready to be shared. Now that there is no cost to jump into using GMS, we can expect new users to join the community.
BUT the subscription model is a bad thing. Most aspiring indie devs would just want to export to PC anyway, so they will likely feel like it's not worth it to pay for the bundles. On top of that, some would just prefer to purchase a relatively high cost permanent license, than to pay regularly.

It would be better to have access to both one time purchase and subscription based licenses, so that users can have the choice, and don't feel like they buy something they don't want, just because it's part of a bundle.
Because of the sub only model, some devs will likely just buy a license to publish then game then cancel it until they need to publish another game. And I 'm not sure having games like that, without further updates or QoL tweaks to further upgrade the game would be a good thing for the image of the community/the engine.

I must say I'm not a nativeenglish speaker, so I sincerely apologize If my post was hard to read, I tried to get the point across as best as I could

cgPixel

GameMaker Studio 2 Web is still available on Steam, so I still have the possibility to get the permanent HTML5 module via Steam for a short period of time?
(I want to "mix" it with my permanent desktop and mobile license on YoYo)

@hdarren - Or they could setup a free license for the length of the game jam, like they are for the Opera GX one running right now. I don't own the HTML5 license, as I have no use for it really. But, I'm using the free license provided, during the competition time. EDIT: @Nocturne beat me to it XD

Either way, like @drandula said, pay the $10, for the game jam release, then use the features of the license for a month, and cancel after if they wish. Or if you own a permanent license, use the latest version of what is available to you at that time, and not have to pay anything.

Alright, back to my project. See you all in the forums. I'm outa this discussion. I'm set with my feelings on it, and that won't change either way.

Best of luck. Again, hope everyone is having a fantastic day. Stay positive :)

✌

Duskztar

Subscription models are a constant drain on finances and are the worst. Any hobbyist is going to avoid a forced subscription like a plague. There would be no problem here if you could also buy a permanent license if you wanted. The fact that you can't anymore tells me all I need to know about whether this is for the user or for extra profit. It's unfortunate, but I'll cut my losses and learn different software.

The language in the email I received around "upgrading" a perpetual license to add services sounds *very* much like "The perpetual license goes away when you do this".

The FAQ for this says that's not the case, and that a cancellation of subscription returns you to what you bought in the first place.

But that's some *alarming language* there.

I'm saddened I can't finish off my originally intended suite with a perpetual HTML license (I have several others); it feels like my plan for growth with GMS has been yanked away, to be replaced with something that I'm really not sure I would have signed on for originally.

It leaves a taste. It's not a good one.

I don't know that I'm out, but my enthusiasm for telling my friends how great GMS is, making sure to say "I made this with that!", and so on, has taken a massive hit.

Cpaz

Ah it's this thing that I figured was inevitable.
On one hand, I'm iffy about the indie tier for only one reason:
This is absolutely delusional. Nobody is going to pay $10 just to release a game jam game.
Yeah, for a community that been big on game jams, this could damage that. But idk. That just speculation on my part.

I am glad, however, that I keep my current licenses without strings attached.

Dunno if people have realized that quite yet.

Also, holy crap that enterprise version is something.

I need to do the math, but that seems either like a steal, or just as pricey.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
@Nocturne I'm fully aware of what my license gives me. I paid for the license originally BECAUSE of the pay one price model. YoYo used the Pay One Price model as a selling point in their advertisement. Whether I am productive or taking a break from development, I'm not being charged like Netflix. If I were YoYo, I would have given a way to upgrade the perpetual license from version 2 to version 3 when it comes out for those who have perpetual licenses in addition to the subscription model, (Buy OR Subscribe is the model that Propellerheads uses for Reason) Now all perpetual license holders will either be forced to subscribe at Version 3 or make due with whatever Gamemaker Studio Version 2 ends with at the time version 3 comes out. I'm not necessarily bitter about the change, but don't expect me to be jumping up and down about it.

BenRK

Honestly, my biggest concern is how this will effect new people coming in. I know when I first got started as a kid, I begged my parents for a license to GM5/6. I have to imagine that I'm not alone in that regard.

A subscription is harder to sell to people, and I know my parents would have refused to get me a license if it was a subscription.

Now, the changes to the free version do make this change easier to live with, but I feel like there should still be at least one permanent license option, even if it's just limited to a Windows export.

I don't know. I'm not a business expert. I just feel like this will scare away new people.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
I don't quite understand the beef here from any professional devs or studios who are currently using GMS2 to publish commercial projects. If you have paid for any permanent GMS2 license, you get to keep it. Carry on as you were and enjoy your development. Those of us who were on the hybrid subscription model are certainly glad that YYG have made GMS2 cheaper, simpler, more accessible and given us "free" additional modules.

Now the argument from the hobbyist angle I can dig, because I don't think even offering temporary licenses for jams and stuff is *quite* the same as having the same kind of system GM did when I was younger. I think it'd be nice to see the free tier get EXE creation back at some point in the future - maybe with a slight watermark or something (to prevent commercial use, but still allow sharing of jam entries and WIPs).

malonso

You already can invoke GMAssetCompiler and/or Igor yourself (see builder and stitch for reference) - I'm assuming that Enterprise will include more intuitive (read: no need to provide temporary directory/etc. paths yourself) CLI tool.
They do not have official support, and problems with these: "Windows 10 (other operating systems may work but are untested)", are so common in CLI tools developed from the community, I tried Stitch but never can run automatically my builds. In another hand, the engine as Godot has a CLI in-built and the community only needed to create a GitHub action: https://github.com/marketplace/actions/build-godot. Pay a subscription for a CLI... Really YoYo? is the same tool, but used from the terminal, the game maker developers have experience in the technology field, don't treat us like newbies.

Last edited:

drandula

Also, holy crap that enterprise version is something.

I need to do the math, but that seems either like a steal, or just as pricey.
Yeah, I am looking that with keen eye 👀
How long those free subscription periods stay there untouched, or do I have to subscribe soon to get them?

unxn

I seem to the "hobbiest" that some of the posts refer to. I only create for desktop and don't make a penny of it.

What this did for me is double the price and even took away the choice to upgrade to a permanent license. As a trade off, I'm getting sold the option to publish on platforms I couldn't care less about.
To be frank this isn't a lot in the long run, but I can't help but feel disgust for being upsold useless features and told I'm better off with them. Also, the amount of overall enthusiasm by admin/mod staff is outright creepy. Genuine people don't get excited about TOS changes and price increases. Damage control just makes me more cynical towards GM's future.
I guess thank you for yet another push towards Unity.

samspade

Honestly, my biggest concern is how this will effect new people coming in. I know when I first got started as a kid, I begged my parents for a license to GM5/6. I have to imagine that I'm not alone in that regard.

A subscription is harder to sell to people, and I know my parents would have refused to get me a license if it was a subscription.

Now, the changes to the free version do make this change easier to live with, but I feel like there should still be at least one permanent license option, even if it's just limited to a Windows export.

I don't know. I'm not a business expert. I just feel like this will scare away new people.
Right, but kids don't have to beg for anything now - they can just use it. Especially if you occasionally get free licenses for jams and so on. That said, I do agree that there should some free export - almost exactly for the reason you listed which is that the one of the main thing the hobbyist user wants, is to be able to share their game with their friends. If you want to a kid to be hooked on game development, they need to be able to have that part of the game development experience - which the free version doesn't allow for right now. I don't have a solution to this, but I think it's the one thing missing to make pitching GM really easy.

I'm sad to see that the perpetual license is entirely gone.

I understand charging a subscription for highly volatile exports that need constant attention to make sure they're working, but it would have been nice to still have had the option to buy desktop exports outright (especially windows and HTML5, as presumably they require minimal effort to keep up to date). Having windows and html5 accessible would also serve as a gateway to the other exports once the new users became accustomed to game maker and want to expand to other platforms.

I don't know how many years I've had game maker for, but it's been a side hobby, I definitely haven't made enough money from it to justify a monthly subscription. If I were a new developer entering the market I wouldn't touch anything that required a subscription, especially given how many good free other options there are.

I will say that I think it's fantastic that there's an unlimited demo with everything except the export ability, but even before you publish, you need that export function to playtest, (and also to enter jams!). If I had to pay $8 to submit my game to a jam (for this month), I just wouldn't bother.

I know it's not rational, and I'm sure I'd spend $8 on something completely useless elsewhere, but that's just human nature.

I don't quite understand the beef here from any professional devs or studios who are currently using GMS2 to publish commercial projects. If you have paid for any permanent GMS2 license, you get to keep it. Carry on as you were
Because if Yoyo makes a decision that kills game maker, then development and support for the software they bought stops, and the community will die away too. Also it would be nice to think that newcomers would have the same opportunities as we had.

Also it affects us when we have to buy the next version and there's no longer a perpetual option.

I am enraged against the new subscription model! Yes, I own a permanent license, but I was saving money to get that permanent mobile export module and now that it's subscription model, I'm out. This is selfish and totally user unfriendly to push people from permanent licenses to subscription models. You have just announced me that as of this time, I will no longer be buying any further versions of Game Maker and will need to stick with V2 and lower.

I DO NOT BUY SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!

I agree with a few people here stating that we SHOULD be allowed to have a permanent license choice. I was already enraged when they made me pay a price HIGHER than what I payed before for the new version GMS2 which totally broke everything I ever loved of GM in the first place, I'm just getting motivated to stop programming in GMS1 and now, you choose to force people to pay monthly fees just because it brings more money in your pockets!

We all know how it works. Telling us that you are giving us a free unlimited non-exportable app to program and get used to it, covering it up with low priced monthly fees is just sugar coating what you have been talking out as a group of employees and deciders in the company thinking that having a subscription model will garanty a money income in the company while also pushing away the so-called "less serious" game creators and keep those more attractive and richer customers to pay monthly bills because they can, they've got selling games and already have money flowing in their buisiness or personal income from previous made games!

It's a shame for you if you believe that the new single way of money-making should be subscriptions and I truly hope you will revise this and make sure you provide a permanent plan for those of us who do not wish to stay tied to an extra monthly payment. Because calculate it this way: after paying 6 months on the current subscription basic model, I will have paid more than what it cost me to upgrade from GMS1 to GMS2.

Permit us to buy permanent licenses to export Desktop, Mobile and Web (like before) and let the rest be subscription models and if that is too much asked for a possible money hungry company, you can go back to the basics of Mark Overmars back then and just let us pay for a permanent DESKTOP ONLY export license and make the rest subscriptions.

It's been a long way since Game Maker 4! Evolution is a good thing, but never forget who are those that permitted you to grow, that encouraged the app since it's first version. The foundations of Game Maker Studio 2 lie on those of us who worked, schooled and spent time over numerous bug reports, game exports and with who this community would not existt if we would not have been commited to our favorite Game Making app.