OFFICIAL New, More Affordable Pricing For Sharing and Publishing Games

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Starting with desktop and then moving to web and mobile, more and more platforms are being introduced and then quickly becoming adopted by game creators. To meet those needs and encourage developers to ship their games everywhere we are making our purchasing options broader and at the same time more affordable and flexible. From now on, we have combined all our non-console platforms into a single "Indie" option where you can publish across all these platforms from a single version of the game. This option is available yearly or at a low cost monthly option with no minimum contract required. We have also significantly lowered the price of shipping to console platforms for studios with our “Enterprise” option. This is also the introduction of affordable regional pricing. Current owners licences are not going anywhere and there are even free upgrades available to get you more platforms. Check out the options and read our full FAQ here: https://opr.as/exopt

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
As someone that saw this coming a long time ago, I think it's a great move. The pricing is incredibly generous, especially as you are now getting ALL exports (except console, which is expected). I mean, it's less than the price of a movie each month, or a couple of coffees. I also appreciate that this kind of payment model is what will permit the company to grow and expand, which means more resources for GM and a better product for everyone. If the price was any higher then I I could see an argument against this move, but honestly, at THIS price and getting THESE features, I think this is an excellent move for everyone.

rui.r6o

This is an amazing price point! Looking at the value here in the UK it comes to just a smidge over £7 for a month's access to the Indie subscription! This makes it really cheap to develop a game using the free version and then purchasing the Indie access only for those final months of beta testing and releasing :D Great move YYG!

O.Stogden

I worry this will push away hobbyists...

I was interviewed about this a while back by Opera/YYG, and it was put forward as "hypothetical", but making it a monthly fee to use GMS will definitely deter some.

Personally this wouldn't bother me much, I use GMS every day and the pricing if you do that is less then it would have been to buy GMS out-right, so for a well-rounded user wanting desktop, mobile, uwp, HTML5, this model works well. (Desktop + UWP + HTML5 + Mobile exports would have cost the same as subscribing for about 7-8 years, if not on sale.)

My fear is that someone just wanting to make a desktop game for fun here and there will no longer consider GMS, signing up to a subscription is kind of a pain, and I think the majority would sooner go for a no commitment option. Bundling in the mobile, UWP and HTML5 exports with the desktop means that a lot of users are going to get additional modules they don't need or want, and feel that they're paying for features they'll never use, so I find that a little strange that the tiers are laid out like this.

But I hope it works out ok in the long run, this is definitely a move to push GMS more to be a software to make commercial games and not for hobbyists though.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
No more permanent license in the future? I'm out and I'm sure there are others who hate the subscription only model.
Fair enough, but for a product like GameMaker this is pretty much the only sustainable way to go, and even with the "permanent" licence you'd still have to pay again to get GMS3, GMS4, etc... at least with this model you'll be able to get upgrades without it only being for the version lifetime. And you are supporting the company to make the product better, for an incredibly cheap price. How much do you spend each month on coffees, or take out food, or whatever? More than $8 I bet... At the end of the day, it's either this or potentially losing GM anyway as Opera shuts it down because it's not profictable for them.

I worry this will push away hobbyists...
Why? GM is currently FREE to use for everyone. Noone has to pay anything to use the product. For a hobby that is more than sufficient and very few hobbies let you do anything for free. If you want to publish a game, then it's not really a hobby anymore...? And from what I see it looks like you could make the whole game for free, then subscribe and publish for one month, then cancel the subscription and make your next game for free again... ;) This would be CHEAPER than buying a permanent licence!

O.Stogden

Why? GM is currently FREE to use for everyone. Noone has to pay anything to use the product. For a hobby that is more than sufficient. If you want to publish a game, then it's not really a hobby anymore...? And from what I see it looks like you could make the whole game for free, then subscribe and publish for one month, then cancel the subscription and make your next game for free again... ;) This would be CHEAPER than buying a permanent licence!
True, I didn't really consider making a game and then only subscribing when you wanted to publish a game.

But for sure hobbyists want exports, they may not want to commercially release a game, but no-one makes a game to just play it themselves, they'd want to send a ZIP of the game to friends etc.

I hope this move doesn't effect those with already permanent license. I haven't even made an ROI.
I don't believe it does... You can convert your existing licenses into subscription time, but I think we keep everything we paid for, it'd be a legal minefield for them if not, they did sell them as permanent licenses. The only difference is we can't add to our licenses, so if you didn't buy the Android license for example, you can't buy it now, you'd have to subscribe.

rui.r6o

And from what I see it looks like you could make the whole game for free, then subscribe and publish for one month, then cancel the subscription and make your next game for free again... ;) This would be CHEAPER than buying a permanent licence!
This was exactly my point above! As someone that really doesn't like mobile gaming (and that wouldn't really consider developing for mobile except maybe a companion app type of thing to a desktop release) this is actually the way I'll probably go in the future. Develop everything with the free version, once I have something for beta testing then get the monthly subscription. Then release, maybe keep it for a few weeks after release for critical bugs, and afterwards cancelling the subscription again.

Then again, I do still have the perpetual license so I'll always be able to fall back to that if needed (e.g. for jams potentially)

Amon

£78.99 a year for all exports except console or £629.99 including console export is a bargain and a half. I'm glad this has been done. It's a better payment model that ensures the future of GMS is sustainable. For people who disagree with the subscription way of using software, well, think about what it takes to keep software like GMS2 working, especially with the ever changing mobile/desktop/console targets, then ask yourself if a perpetual license up until the next version, will keep your favourite software going.

In this current climate of dramatic hardware, technological and software changes, a subscription model is better for the company and, in the end, better for us all.

Shut

Fair enough, but for a product like GameMaker this is pretty much the only sustainable way to go, and even with the "permanent" licence you'd still have to pay again to get GMS3, GMS4, etc... at least with this model you'll be able to just upgrade. And you are supporting the company to make the product better. At the end of the day, it's either this or potentially losing GM anyway as Opera shuts it down because it's not profictable for them.
I'd prefer to pay a one time fee when GMS3 becomes available just like I do with every other software that I use. As for sustainability, I'd rather support an open source engine with a donation model paying the same fee (one of the most popular open source engines is close to $20,000/m now) as much as I love GM and have been a loyal user since 2001. This is just a bad marketing move that's going to kill GM.

It doesn't. ;)
That's a relief. Almost gave me a heart attack on reading the topic, then login to IDE only to be smack with having to agree to a new T&C.

I don't believe it does... You can convert your existing licenses into subscription time, but I think we keep everything we paid for, it'd be a legal minefield for them if not, they did sell them as permanent licenses. The only difference is we can't add to our licenses, so if you didn't buy the Android license for example, you can't buy it now, you'd have to subscribe.
I've both the Desktop and Mobile permanent licenses. To say it'd be really heartbreaking if I were to lose my permanent licenses is an understatement. The pandemic is really hurting my financial capability, and seriously I haven't made ROI. If I have, I'd even gladly profit share. As it stands, this move stir calm water, at least for me.

Last edited:

O.Stogden

I have the Steam version of GMStudio 2, is that version affected as well?
You'll keep your licenses you own on Steam for sure.

They haven't announced anything about Steam by the looks. If Steam supports subscriptions for apps, it'll probably get changed over to that, if not, GMS2 will probably be pulled from Steam. But you'd still keep access.

EDIT: Looks like Steam does allow subscriptions for games, so they're likely in the process of getting GMS switched over to a subscription model on Steam.

How does the old licence carry over? Am I automatically enrolled under the indie licence? It say I have X amount of free months available to me in the web console and that I'm currently active under the Free version. But the IDE is still fully working without limitations? Do I need to pick a subscription now? Existing customs should have been giving the heads up on this :( A hey things are changing soon email would have been nice!

Mmm this should have been emailed out before today!
Subscriptions FAQ – YoYo Games

Last edited:

malonso

1628603704178.png

What is Command Line Building? and why is it only in the enterprise subscription?.

**Edit**: Access to the Command Line (CL) building option. Useful for automation and build pipelines.

This is so bad, I'm a user with a perpetual license, and needed this feature, builds games in GMS is so hard in comparison with Unity or Godot, is this feature is only for Enterprise users, is not a good deal.

TheMagician

Uff ... if GameMaker was 20% more polished / stable / feature complete then it might warrant the monthly fee. On the other hand, those added resources might enable the team to do just these things more effectively. Who knows, I'm torn about this change.
However, I think it's great that they keep the free version (which honestly, looking at the pricing models of the competition was a must).

Bryn

Ok.

So, personally, I have Desktop and Mobile licences, both bought on Steam.

Q1: Does this move affect me as it stands?

Q2: If not, if I upgrade to other exports in the future, do I lose the current licences for Desktop and Mobile, or do the subscriptions apply only to new licences that you don't currently have?

I understand why the subscription model is popular in other areas, and maybe for game developers it's a better fit, but I have stopped playing/using a handful of software/games over the last couple of years because they made a move to the subscription model (Trainz railway simulator, and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator off the top of my head (migrated to Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for the latter)).

I'll reserve judgement until my questions above are answered.

Amon

I'd prefer to pay a one time fee when GMS3 becomes available just like I do with every other software that I use. As for sustainability, I'd rather support an open source engine with a donation model paying the same fee (one of the most popular open source engines is close to $20,000/m now) as much as I love GM and have been a loyal user since 2001. This is just a bad marketing move that's going to kill GM.
I understand that you are annoyed by this move. May I ask if you develope for consoles? If you don't then what is £80 a year? If you do, then you have the resources and financial stability, as well as the technical expertice, to be able to sustain £630 a year, which is again, still a bargain.

Give yourself a chance to let the news settle within your mind before making showstopping decisions for your future dev.

I spend more on Amazon Prime yearly, than the yearly subscription to the indie subscription would be. Not bad, if I keep on chasing my dream of starting a small game design studio(just me solo, outsourcing art/sound). And, if things pick up, and I create something worthy of a console release. What is an extra $800/year? I pay way more than that for other basic things I use everyday... Wasn't the previous model more expensive for console exports? You had to pay for each console, and it was yearly? If I'm remembering the products page before the current change, correctly.

For now I've got my Desktop license, and mobile license I bought, which is all I need for right now. If I want to do more in the future, or a new version comes out, I'll jump on board with the indie license to begin with, and go from there.

But, I think the change will do mixed things for GameMaker Studio, as others have already pointed out. The ones that are serious, and like the engine, and will use it regularly, will have no problem. For a hobbyist though(I didn't touch GMS for months/years at a time), I would just buy a one off license, and switch to another engine, honestly. I was around during the old community days, before the partnership between Mark Overmars and YoYo Games, then becoming acquired by YoYoGames, and now Opera(but still has the same dev team, as far as I know). I remember some of the earliest releases of GameMaker, and it's come a loooong way since then.

The entrepreneur/digital marketer in me, knows that the subscription model can be the best model in the long run for many products. I hope the switch does great things for the company, and the products produced!

Peace✌

EDIT: And, as also pointed out. The hobbyist could portentially just stick to the free subscription, to play around with game creation using GMS. Then sign up, if they want to make an executable. As @gnysek pointed out, it might be nice for that demographic to have a cheaper model, maybe like $5/month, $50/year. Just to export to either desktop, or html5(they decide one or the other and stick to it), that way they can share with friends, and whatnot, and have a way to export some of their creations in a way that makes sense to them.

Last edited:

O.Stogden

How does the old licence carry over? Am I automatically enrolled under the indie licence? It say I have X amount of free months available to me in the web console and that I'm currently active under the Free version. But the IDE is still fully working without limitations? Do I need to pick a subscription now? Existing customs should have been giving the heads up on this :( A hey things are changing soon email would have been nice!
Your old license is permanent and everything stays exactly the same for you.

The free months for subscription are offered because you paid for GMS2 so you're entitled to some free subscription time.

Everyone is enrolled on the free tier because it's free.

The subscriptions are only relevant to you if you're a new user with no previous licenses, OR you want to get access to more licenses, because you can no longer buy permanent licenses, so if you wanted access to exports you don't already have, then you'll need to subscribe.

You should have an email just arrived that explains some of this, I have.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Well, thankfully I still keep my permanent license. That said, I'd prefer if there was at least a permanent option for Desktop export, as the Windows export is essential for GMC Jams.
As it is now, the potential Jam participant might need to go through an extra hurdle of purchasing a monthly subscription just to export their game, as opposed to just having the export ready whenever.

@malonso I'm pretty sure "Command Line Building" means that you'll be able to run a command-line program (like a batch file on Windows) to build a game.
It's particularly useful when you want to automate certain processes instead of clicking through builds on GM:S. E.g. you want to export for all desktop platforms, mobile platforms, maybe console platforms, add to that varying configurations etc. As someone who made automated PNG exporting tool using Inkscape command line, I can't overstate how helpful this kind of automation is.

Myself, I'm more curious about the Subscription management. It would certainly help if there were descriptions for specific features, e.g. in a tooltip.

(also, would be nice if the features comparison table showed same features in the same rows; or maybe even more compact - just show baseline features for free version, then additional features for Indie version, then additional features for Enterprise version)

malonso

New feature, and generally only something people in an enterprise environment would need.
Command Line Building: Access to the Command Line (CL) building option. Useful for automation and build pipelines.

ooh no, I'm waiting for this feature for years, using Github actions + CLI it easier builds new versions for games, for an indie developer is more easily build a pipeline and ship new versions of her game. Very sad : (.

It's not only for "enterprise environments"

ottomaddox

Opened GMS 2 this morning excited to dig back in after a month off game dev. Just waded through the new EULA/pricing model, and I'm not sure where I stand. I've been using GM steadily since 2012 for most of my major projects, especially since the big GML overhaul last year (two years ago? pandemic has ruined my temporal memory).

In general I tend to loathe subscription models, as they create an ongoing sense that I don't really own the license I've purchased, and that if I don't maximize my use of the subscription within a given time-window, I'm wasting my money. Being able to scale up my investment in the product rather than overpay incrementally feels more in sync with my experiences & capacity as a solo/micro dev. I much prefer being able to pay into a given export license when I'm SURE I want it, rather than having to top-up my right to access a bunch of stuff I probably don't need most of the time.

I do understand the YYG has probably made this move out of financial necessity, but it's hard for me to not see the shift as leaning (or maybe flailing?) into the techno-capitalist, nobody-ever-owns-anything, service-as-product race to the bottom -- for employees and customers both. I imagine these decisions were made above the the heads of a lot of workers, and are motivated by the economic agenda of Opera or whatever parent entity; whatever the case, the superstructure of these economics model is disconcerting, imo.

Guess I just gotta wait and see. Thanks for making space for this conversation!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, thankfully I still keep my permanent license. That said, I'd prefer if there was at least a permanent option for Desktop export, as the Windows export is essential for GMC Jams.
As it is now, the potential Jam participant might need to go through an extra hurdle of purchasing a monthly subscription just to export their game, as opposed to just having the export ready whenever.
I'm pretty sure YYG can help us out on that front. Contact @rmanthorp about temp licences during the Jam.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
@malonso I'm pretty sure "Command Line Building" means that you'll be able to run a command-line program (like a batch file on Windows) to build a game.
You will see a manual page on that once it is updated. Keep an eye out.

gnysek

1) I think that there should be "minimal desktop" tier too, for newbies (like 3-4$ monthly?), with Dekstop exporter (one platform only).

2) do I understand correctly from FAQ, that for each perpetual license I have (Desktop, Mobile, HTML5, UWP) I can get 2 months of Enterprise (so up to 8 months in total), to export game for consoles for example, and then after 6 months I will go back to my perpetual licenses?

3) Subscriptions page is down, so I can't check 2) :D

malonso

It's particularly useful when you want to automate certain processes instead of clicking through builds on GM:S. E.g. you want to export for all desktop platforms, mobile platforms, maybe console platforms, add to that varying configurations etc. As someone who made automated PNG exporting tool using Inkscape command line, I can't overstate how helpful this kind of automation is.

Myself, I'm more curious about the Subscription management. It would certainly help if there were descriptions for specific features, e.g. in a tooltip.

(also, would be nice if the features comparison table showed same features in the same rows; or maybe even more compact - just show baseline features for free version, then additional features for Indie version, then additional features for Enterprise version)
1628604585853.png

Shut

I understand that you are annoyed by this move. May I ask if you develope for consoles? If you don't then what is £80 a year? If you do, then you have the resources and financial stability, as well as the technical expertice, to be able to sustain £630 a year, which is again, still a bargain.

Give yourself a chance to let the news settle within your mind before making showstopping decisions for your future dev.
It seems like you didn't really pay much attention to what I said. Let me clarify again. I've been using and supporting GM and its changes since 2001, but I'm definitely not going to support a move that's going to simply kill the software I grew up with. A permanent license guarantees you that once you've paid the fee you won't have to worry about any future changes in pricing models, and as someone who's publishing my 6th commercial game and cares about business side of things - add up about 5-10 softwares and services that uses a subscription model and suddenly instead of $10/m it could be close to $150/m. I certainly don't want to any extra fees and calculations on my back, when there are other options out there and like I said it's just simply a bad move and I'd rather support an open source engine with a donation model just like thousands of others who are doing the same.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
I can see the pros and cons here.

This is great news for me personally (and probably other full-time multi-platform devs). This year I renewed a console license for ~£600 (and was therefore already on subscription anyway) so a free upgrade to what is essentially the old "Ultimate" is super cool.

I think I do feel a bit for the hobbyists / jammers / aspiring young game devs though. I learned GM as a child and stuck with it long enough to build a career out of using it - I don't think that would have happened if this pricing & export model was around at the time (in particular, the lack of ability to export a game to enter into jams / gather community feedback without committing to a subscription).

--

I have some specific feedback on the upgrade process for existing console / ultimate devs:

1. It would be cool if you could upgrade to a "yearly" subscription. Currently you have to select "Monthly" to get the free upgrade. I would happily commit to a yearly one if I was given that option (with the amount of months I've already used removed from the license, if you know what I mean).

2. Currently it doesn't tell you how many "free" months you have left after upgrading in the control panel. I have 8 months free, but the control panel looks like this:

It would be neat if YYG could implement a line that says "You have 8 months left on this, and then it's £62.99/mo thereafter"

O.Stogden

Well, until Yoyogames decides to rebrand GMS 2 as GMS 3 ;)
That might mean you stop getting new updates, but you'd at least get to keep the version we have now. I don't think they'd legally be allowed to disable your access to the version of GMS2 we have now.

I think it is likely GMS2 would merge into purely Game Maker at some point (No need for different names if it's a subscription), for subscription users it won't matter, but I think us permanent license holders will get left behind after a while. Like has been mentioned, it isn't viable for us to get updates for years and years to come, they reasonably have to cut it off at some point.

Unless they get enough subscribers that they can afford to keep giving us old folks free updates... eh? ;)

Amon

but I'm definitely not going to support a move that's going to simply kill the software I grew up with
That's quite a big assumption. How do you know it will happen?

A permanent license guarantees you that once you've paid the fee you won't have to worry about any future changes in pricing models, and as someone who's publishing my 6th commercial game and cares about business side of things
That's not true though. When the next major version comes out you would have to pay to upgrade. With a subscription model, you know that for just £80 a year, it wouldn't matter what version came out, what updates were done, critical bug fixes and improvements and versions are all included.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I certainly don't want to any extra fees and calculations on my back, when there are other options out there and like I said it's just simply a bad move and I'd rather support an open source engine with a donation model just like thousands of others who are doing the same.
I honestly don't get this... you're saying at the start that you don't want any extra fees and calculations each month, but then in the same sentence say you'll happily pay the same amount to some other software. I'm not trying to be mean here, but I just don't understand what the difference is? If you're willing to pay each month to one, why not the other? Keep supporting the software you say you love with the money you say you'd give to another piece of software...

I think it is likely GMS2 would merge into purely Game Maker at some point (No need for different names if it's a subscription), for subscription users it won't matter, but I think us permanent license holders will get left behind after a while. Like has been mentioned, it isn't viable for us to get updates for years and years to come, they reasonably have to cut it off at some point.
Right from day one the permanent licence has had "free upgrades for the 2.x lifetime" in the EULA so nothing has changed there. And I don't think that GMS3 is on the near horizon yet anyway, so I wouldn't worry...

gnysek

A permanent license guarantees you that once you've paid the fee you won't have to worry about any future changes in pricing models
And that option remains, for those who bought GMS before today.
Also, permanent version dies every several years (do you remember GM8 or GMS1?). Subscription will smoothly switch from one to another.

I think that there should be some perpetual bonus, for those who will pay for 2-3 years, licenses should become permanent for current major line of GMS.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
I'm yet to understand it quite right and I have a ton of questions.

What about people that have permanent licenses? Steam versions will get updates?

And, let me get this straight as I may have missed something important... but other engines let you publish games FOR FREE. They only charge you if your game get past a revenue limit. If that's true... why the hell Game Maker would change for a subscription model?! It doesn't make any sense!! Are you try to push away hobbists?

And a subscription in euros is a thing that complicates the life of people that live in other countries. Would that price fluctuates? 5 euros a month is more than a coffee in my country, more like a full meal. O_O

It would be neat if YYG could implement a line that says "You have 8 months left on this, and then it's £62.99/mo thereafter"
That's odd. On my end, just below that, it has an option for monthly, or yearly subscription. Maybe because I bought licenses, right about a year ago, maybe less than that?

GameMaker Studio 2 - Indie
USD 9.99 per month
Free for 29 months

GameMaker Studio 2 - Enterprise
USD 79.99 per month
Free for 4 months

Shut

I honestly don't get this... you're saying at the start that you don't want any extra fees and calculations each month, but then in the same sentence say you'll happily pay the same amount to some other software. I'm not trying to be mean here, but I just don't understand what the difference is? If you're willing to pay each month to one, why not the other? Keep supporting the software you say you love with the money you say you'd give to another piece of so
There's a huge difference between support models, one is about forcing to pay each month and the other is a donation model where you're free to do as you wish. I'm choosing to support the right model in this case, just like you would make any other decision that you think is right or wrong.

TheMagician

That might mean you stop getting new updates, but you'd at least get to keep the version we have now.
You're right but we all know how long you can afford to stay behind on an old version of the engine in these times - especially with all of the export platforms constantly changing and evolving.

I really echo @GameDevDan's sentiment when it comes to younger users. However, perhaps this generation is already so used to subscriptions that it's not that big of a deal to them.

Shut

I'm yet to understand it quite right and I have a ton of questions.

What about people that have permanent licenses? Steam versions will get updates?

And, let me get this straight as I may have missed something important... but other engines let you publish games FOR FREE. They only charge you if your game get past a revenue limit. If that's true... why the hell Game Maker would change for a subscription model?! It doesn't make any sense!! Are you try to push away hobbists?

And a subscription in euros is a thing that complicates the life of people that live in other countries. Would that price fluctuates? 5 euros a month is more than a coffee in my country, more like a full meal. O_O
Yeah.. Let's just ignore all the other engines out there and pretend it's the right thing to do and like it's the only right thing that can be done to keep GM alive. Not even talking about regional differences that people don't seem to quite understand. I think people in Venezuela are surviving on $10/m for a whole month right now.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Other engines have a staff of thousands, and have games that regularly make literally millions each year. If GM is to survive it has to be sustainable, and that kind of thing isn't sustainable for GM. The plus side to this is that if you make a game that makes millions, 25% of the profits won't be going straight to YYG... Also note that, as I've said, young people and hobbyists can still use GM as there is a fully featured FREE version available.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
That's odd. On my end, just below that, it has an option for monthly, or yearly subscription. Maybe because I bought licenses, right about a year ago, maybe less than that?
Mine had the same before I went through with the upgrade, but now that I have updated the subscription it no longer shows how much free time is left.

Perpetual > Indie (12 months free per licence) I have 4 licenses (Web, Mobile, Desktop and UWP) so is that 4 * 12, I mean the console says I'm entitled to 53 months free indie access. If that's correct that's really generous?" @rmanthorp