• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Unhandled Memory Leaking? (.exe compiled program)

Duckbob

0.PNG
1.PNG

I found that the game compiled in version 2.3.3.437 has unhandled memory leak in the Windows task manager.
In 2.3.2.426 it was normal.

In versions 2.3.2.426 or lower, it works without any problem.
It's just a problem with version 2.3.3.437 compiled programs. ( I've tried more than three times. )
- It is going to occupy up to 99% of memory and shut down its operating system.
- Even if you end the game before that, the memory occupied will not disappear.

I would like to know if everyone is experiencing this in 2.3.3.437.
If it's not a public issue, I'll try a more definitive test.

MEM: 16GB

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Does this happen in a new (empty) project? Does this happen in a new project with a single sprite and a single object? If the answer to both these questions is no, then it would suggest that something in the code of your current project is causing the issue, and you should attempt to narrow it down and work out what this is. It could be that the new version has broken the garbage collection on something, or it could be that the new version has actually fixed something and your project was doing it wrong but it was being permitted... Really, you need to narrow the issue down a LOT before anyone can help you.

Roldy

View attachment 41763
View attachment 41764

I found that the game compiled in version 2.3.3.437 has unhandled memory leak in the Windows task manager.

It's just a problem with version 2.3.3.437 compiled programs. ( I've tried more than three times. )

There are two things to note:
  1. The process is reporting the same memory footprint (~740 MB)
  2. The memory is not freed after exiting the program
Both suggest that the dda.exe is not leaking memory directly. As the OS is responsible for allocation/deallocation it will NOT forget which process owns the memory (if it did then the OS would be leaking memory). In your screen shot the OS is reporting it has not allocated any more resources to process dda.exe. #2 indicates either the memory is allocated to a different process or the dda.exe is only suspending on exit (but suspension would not explain #1)

Consider looking at any extensions you have or any dll access. One culprit to consider is graphics or sound drivers. If the dda.exe program has allocation resources through those drivers and not freed them properly then that could partially explain #2 (memory not freed after exiting). As well consider 3rd party software that may no longer be playing nice and freaking out e.g. anti virus.

EDIT: A good question to ask is if the memory is not freed when you kill dda.exe, then what will free the memory? If you can find a process, service or driver that you can kill and free the memory that would give you a big clue on what is occurring.

Last edited:

SedoSan

I encounter exactly the same problem as you, using any runtime above 2.3.2.426
Tested with a basic project with only 1 sprite (used as a scrolling background).
Huge intermittent fps drops and big memory usage footprint.

I've sent a ticket #186319 to YoYo Games a few days ago, waiting for an answer.

Fully clean Game maker Studio 2 (IDE v2.3.3.575) install
MEM: 32GB
GPU: GL_VERSION="4.6.0 NVIDIA 471.41" GL_VENDOR="NVIDIA Corporation" GL_RENDERER="NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2"

Last edited:

Duckbob

I encounter exactly the same problem as you, using any runtime above 2.3.2.426
Tested with a basic project with only 1 sprite (used as a scrolling background).
Huge intermittent fps drops and big memory usage footprint.

I've sent a ticket #186319 to YoYo Games a few days ago, waiting for an answer.

Fully clean Game maker Studio 2 (IDE v2.3.3.575) install
MEM: 32GB
GPU: GL_VERSION="4.6.0 NVIDIA 471.41" GL_VENDOR="NVIDIA Corporation" GL_RENDERER="NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2"
Oh, it wasn't just me.
Thanks for your report!
hope it will be fixed soon.