OFFICIAL 2.3.4 Beta Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Beta 9 Release - IDE v23.1.1.379 Runtime v23.1.1.350 (Sept 03, 2021)

Again, mostly a release for the IDE rather than the runtimes, as there is only 1 tiny runtime change, but full info can be found on the notes pages above.

A specific thing we would ask you to please try in this release: could you please confirm the stability of this version if you allow the IDE to idle in/out of focus for a little while on your machines. Try also running a game and then letting that idle with the IDE, or closing the game and letting the IDE continue to idle. We have made some memory changes, so want to get any feedback (and logs) if you do have issues.

(If you have actually had this type of issue since before this release, please do let us know!)

Beta 8 Release - IDE v23.1.1.375 Runtime v23.1.1.345 (Aug 31, 2021)

Again, mostly an IDE update, but there are a couple of important runtime fixes, so do ensure you get both bits updated.

The change to re-enable multiple windows support also required a change in renderer on the Windows IDE, so if you do have any issues with startup again or with things not rendering properly, please do let us know asap - we might need DXDiags to be sent as tickets, so feel free to send us a ticket straight away rather than just adding a comment here.
  • We are aware that some displays/GPUS might have an issue when running a debugger build in that you see the GMS2 window loses its title bar and moves up the screen whilst the debugger is open. Clicking the X on the debugger's workspace will fix.
  • We are also aware that the manual has not been updated yet with the changes to the extension editor - this manual update will be released tomorrow or Thursday if all goes to plan.
Any other issues, please report them.

Beta 7 Release - IDE v23.1.1.371 Runtime v23.1.1.342 (Aug 26, 2021)

Smaller release this time, but with some very important fixes. Locals in the debugger should be fine now, as is if you saw any issues requesting permission to execute when trying to build "any other target than macOS" when using the Mac IDE or "any target other than Ubuntu" when using the Ubuntu IDE. As ever, please see the release notes links above for the full info.

Beta 6 Release - IDE v23.1.1.369 Runtime v23.1.1.340 (Aug 24, 2021)

Quite a lot of IDE fixes - lots for DPI and rendering, plus several hotkeys fixed throughout the IDE. Only the one runtime fix this time, and that's for the debugger on Ubuntu. Please see the release notes links above for the full info.

Apologies for the lack of updates in the middle here while I was on holiday ;)

Beta 2 Release - IDE v23.1.1.352 Runtime v23.1.1.330 (Aug 11, 2021)

Lots of Ubuntu IDE fixes, plus also a fix/repair for a Room corruption issue which could stop some rooms from appearing in the Room Manager window. Please see the release notes links above for the full info.

Initial Release - IDE v23.1.1.329 Runtime v23.1.1.329 (Aug 05, 2021)

Please see the release notes links above for the contents. This one might look like a small release from the size of the notes, but there is actually a tremendous amount changed under-the-hood in the IDEs since 2.3.3, so if you have issues please do call them out asap.

If you are interested in trying the Ubuntu IDE beta, then please use your Ubuntu 20.04 LTS machine to view the IDE release notes above and download the installer from the version number heading there (or http://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio2-Beta-23.1.1.375.deb ). Please call out Ubuntu-specific issues in this thread rather than elsewhere on the forum, so that we can ensure we see everything.

Note that this is a very early beta and so we are already aware of:
  • You can only build games for Ubuntu (no other platforms).
  • Previewing texture pages in Game Options does not open the file explorer.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Wow! Thank you so much!
I'll run some tests and come back to tell you how it is.

I'm surprised by the Linux IDE 👀
Edit: Ubuntu 😆

Last edited:

gnysek

Finally! I don't need o work with squirrels anymore on Ubuntu :p :squirrel:

What with Asset Inspector part 2? Will it be in another beta and this one is to test Ubuntu stability?

Edit: not sure why, but my beta started with 147% DPI :D
Edit2: debugger is not working, but as it's Ubuntu 18.04, which isn't supported, I'm not reporting it and waiting for someone with 20.04 to check it.
Edit3: on bigger project I'm getting /bin/bash: line 1: 5137 Memory protection violation (memory dump) ./runner - but again, might be older Ubuntu

Last edited:

ZigZag

Wut, Li... Ubuntu support!!! :banana: GMS2 is the only software keeping my Windows installation alive... Now we just need to figure out how to get it running on Arch, like on the Steam Deck :p😅😁

Mercerenies

Nice! I'm also in the camp of "I have a Windows machine for GM:S and literally nothing else", so this is a nice surprise.

One small question. I notice it's a .deb file right now. Are there plans to release as a standalone executable or some other kind of installer script in the future? I understand that YYG is likely only going to officially support Ubuntu (which makes perfect sense), but oftentimes a standalone installer script will run on other Linuxes with some proper configuration, while a .deb is basically restricted automatically to Debian-based distributions. As a Fedora user, it would be nice to be able to give that a shot. Again, definitely a wonderful surprise and a huge step for GM:S, but I feel obligated to ask. GM's Ubuntu export produces executables which, while only officially supporting Ubuntu, very often will run on non-Debian systems as well.

Cpaz

Of course, this goes live when I'm away from my desktop for the weekend.
Awesome stuff!

Bruchpilot

Are there plans to release as a standalone executable or some other kind of installer script in the future?
Technically it's just a wine thing. So you don't need an installer, just grab the deb, extract it, be sure to have your wine in order and run it.

Coded Games

YoyoGames has really been KILLING it with the updates since the Opera acquisition. I am very happy about this and it seems like it's finally time for me to update my game from GMS 2.2.

Binsk

I've been having to juggle between GMedit and WINE (for compiling) for all my GM projects. It has been functional but by golly can things get cluttered and tedious. This Ubuntu support (trivial to run on Manjaro w/ debtap thus far) is so extremely welcome, it will make my life so much easier!

Way to go, Yoyo!

Zhanghua

Chinese IME is totally crashed in the beta329 [Ticket Id #186343 ]

I can't input any Chinese characters in the code editor.

I think it's the bug of the SDL2's permanent issue with chinese IME.

I have to roll back to 233 latest beta now.

nightmare...................................................................................
eh.....

Last edited:

blurymind

How exciting! Imagine being able to run game maker on a steam deck, develop your game on it while docked, playtest it on the steam deck!

Surprised its ubuntu only, but we will probably get a script on https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=game+maker&maintainer=&flagged=
that unpacks it from the deb file and installs it on arch (SteamOS is based on arch linux)

One reason valve abandoned ubuntu for SteamOs is canonical deciding to abandon 32x libs. I am surprised yoyogames is not doing the same considering ubuntu is losing its popularity to manjaro linux and other arch based distros.

In any case linux has a distribution independent packages too now - snaps and flatpaks. Perhaps a better option than ubuntu debs. You can still compile a snap using ubuntu,it would just make it easier to install on any other distros.

In any case I am greatful and look forward to seeing this becoming stable. If copy and pasting crashes it - thats an alpha bug in my mind

BigPoppa

Is there some requirement for downloading? None of the links here nor on the release notes page download anything for me.

NVM...it was a Chrome issue...Firefox downloaded it fine.

Okay...how do we apply for access to the beta? I'm able to install it but my account doesn't have beta access.

Last edited:

Roldy

I'm having a weird issue with the Beta. I can't quite nail down the problem enough to make a bug report.

When running a project I will intermittently receive the compile error:
Permission Error : Unable to obtain permission to execute

The output window shows the GMAssetCompiler.exe failing.

Setting up the Asset compiler
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /mv=1 /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="test" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/test_EE15F080" /zpuf="C:\Users\H\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2-Beta\REDACTED" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="Default" /o="Y:/test_580A9E2B_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/test_580A9E2B_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\H\Documents\GMS2BETA\test\test.yyp" /preprocess="Z:/test_EE15F080"
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe exited with non-zero status (-1)

FYI, the 'REDACTED' in the above text is my edit.

This is with a blank project. I cannot reproduce the problem on my release install of GMS2 (2.3.3.574), so I don't think it is a system problem. But I have restarted my system as well as uninstalled/reinstalled beta.

The ui.log contains no error information. Is there another log file to look at for errors?

My steps:
  1. Launch GMS2 beta
  2. Select new project GML language
    1. give it name like 'textX'
    2. I've tried saving this into multiple locations on disc
  3. Config is Windows | Local | VM | Default | Default
  4. Press F5
    1. It may run and launch successfully
    2. It may give compile error: Permission Error : Unable to obtain permission to execute
    3. The error occurs ~25% time I try to run the project
Again, I cannot reproduce this behavior on release GMS2(2.3.3.574).

I am just looking for some info that might help track down the issue so I can report the bug.

Last edited:

chamaeleon

I'm having a weird issue with the Beta. I can't quite nail down the problem enough to make a bug report.

When running a project I will intermittently receive the compile error:
If I were to experience this I'd install Process Monitor and see if there is a particular line (once you eliminate all the noise from unrelated processes) that might correspond to this error. The tool will capture essentially all system calls and log their result (successes, failures, permission errors, whatever).

Roldy

Shouldn't it be Linux ? (except you're testing on Windows :p)
Ahh I didn't see this:
  • You can only build games for Ubuntu (no other platforms)
So I suppose if this Beta is Linux only this can be ignored.

Thanks for pointing this out. They may want to put this at the top of this release note as I totally missed that piece of information.

EDIT: on second thought, Isn't that saying only Ubuntu in regards to Linux? This beta can still build for other platforms?

I'm confused. Is this beta only meant for linux export? Is there even an IDE that runs on linux? This is a build (IDE) bug.

Screw it. I'm going to the beach. Be back later.

Last edited:
Uhhh, so GameMaker just full out vanishes when I open my project after updating to this version. I can run GMS and get to the "choose your project or start a new project, banners along the top for tutorials etc" welcome screen, but when I click my project GameMaker just vanishes. Instant shut-down with no errors, no messages, no visuals, nothing lol

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit, on a laptop and everything worked totally fine before this. Happened twice in a row. Third time it loaded and I saw my project ready to work on but as soon as I clicked on it, GMS silently shut-down again. And now it's back to just crashing as soon as I click on my project to load lol

...I also can't revert to the previous build because within 1-3 clicks of anything on that welcome page (like File/Preferences/Runtime to go back to the previous version), it crashes.

This is...less than ideal lol Any suggestions?

edit1: Crisis averted, I just ran the installer for the last update and it uninstalled GM and reinstalled the last version so I can work whew lol
edit2: oops, nope, now it says "GMExtension Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.3 > 1.2" and won't compile fml lol
edit3: Fixed it! Just went to the .yy files in my extensions and at the bottom was a ResourceVersion I changed back to 1.2 from 1.3 all is well again...leaving this here incase anyone else runs into it

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

A moment of silence for YoYoGames...

Let us pray the world doesn't end in like 10 minutes. The new IDE is too good to be real!!!! :D Thank you so so very much YoYoAwesomenesss!!

Revdeluxe

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v23.1.1.329 Runtime v23.1.1.329 (Aug 05, 2021)

Please see the release notes links above for the contents. This one might look like a small release from the size of the notes, but there is actually a tremendous amount changed under-the-hood in the IDEs since 2.3.3, so if you have issues please do call them out asap.

We are aware of:
  • The Windows IDE "flashes" a black screen with white splash on startup.

If you are interested in trying the Ubuntu IDE beta, then please use your Ubuntu 20.04 LTS machine to view the IDE release notes above and download the installer from the version number heading there (or http://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio2-Beta-23.1.1.329.deb ). Please call out Ubuntu-specific issues in this thread rather than elsewhere on the forum, so that we can ensure we see everything.

Note that this is a very early beta and so we are already aware of:
  • The IDE hangs when copying any text 7 times or more (so be very aware of this one, as it may look like "random crashes").
  • You can only build games for Ubuntu (no other platforms).
  • The debugger is not working.
  • Cleaning your project cache can give errors - therefore you may need to clean your cache manually if you have issues building projects.
  • During VM builds the installation directory is being set to /tmp when it should be ~/GameMakerStudio2 like YYC uses.
  • Previewing texture pages in Game Options does not open the file explorer.
  • No file associations are set by the installer.
  • Nor it is possible to set file associations manually later on.
  • If you Save/Save As/Export and then idle on the file explorer window, this can cause a redundant/harmless "Not Responding" popup.
Why isn't this on the Download page?

though it's beta...
perhaps we can download it on alpha state on the "Account/Download"

im running Kali Linux. and im readying for my CCNA, and other Technical Certificates and licenses... in short i want to be a pen tester...

even so... i grew fond of making my own games... mostly in Adobe Flash... but that engine is dead...
so
i Switch to GameMaker and Godot.

since it's on .deb extension i can install it no problem...

perhaps try making a .appimage/.x11/.x86_64/.out so others can "Plug and Play" the GMS Engine.
also making that will no longer need to install it...

speaking... try posting a version on Flatpak/Flathub... PPSSPP post their too on that server...

btw Linux Community gradually grow fast about ^3...

Thanks for the Version DEVS!!!

" TBH i dont like using wine when the programme is not written in C/Python/GDscript. it's just slow sudden lag spikes "
~Im new Here, and in GMS... also amatuer on Godot... but hey im progressing...~

caelangm

When I run gamemaker it now is incredibly zoomed in, to the point that I pretty much can't see anything on screen. I can't zoom it back out either, no matter what I try.
screenshot.jpg

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
When I run gamemaker it now is incredibly zoomed in, to the point that I pretty much can't see anything on screen. I can't zoom it back out either, no matter what I try.
That looks like your DPI value in Preferences is very high (perhaps it was changed for an older Beta in the past?). The DPI system is all-new in this version, so you might need to reset your current value and see what works for your computer now.

Preferences > General Settings:
1628499094597.png

If that fails to fix, then please send us a ticket, but ensure you include a System Information report and your ui.log, so we can hopefully see what's going on. Thanks.

gnysek

no matter what I try
This setting should be in preferences, but I believe that window for them is too big for you to see it :D I got same problem, but in my case it was just 150%, not 300-400% like yours :D
But:

1) Go to /var/opt/GameMakerStudio2-Beta
2) There should be file dpi_override.json (if not, create, may require sudo)
3) Write inside: [{"Key":"is_enabled","Value":true},{"Key":"value","Value":96}]

Don't forget to report a bug.

Coded Games

Also random thing I noticed when looking for the release threads, why are they in the Community Tech Support section? Doesn't it seem more appropriate to have them in announcements? Or now that these threads are more frequent maybe it would be worth having a section dedicated to release threads.

I think having a dedicated releases section would be really useful. Since right now once a release thread is old and becomes unpinned it simply is lost into the mountains of threads asking how to make MMOs and other debugging questions.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Uhhh, so GameMaker just full out vanishes when I open my project after updating to this version. I can run GMS and get to the "choose your project or start a new project, banners along the top for tutorials etc" welcome screen, but when I click my project GameMaker just vanishes. Instant shut-down with no errors, no messages, no visuals, nothing lol

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit, on a laptop and everything worked totally fine before this. Happened twice in a row. Third time it loaded and I saw my project ready to work on but as soon as I clicked on it, GMS silently shut-down again. And now it's back to just crashing as soon as I click on my project to load lol
Can you file a ticket with your ui.log and a DXDiag report, please? This sounds like general GPU instability possibly caused by the new IDE renderer, but we'd need the logs to know.

Also, if it's only with that project (or specific projects) that the IDE always closes, then we may need you to send the project also, so please confirm if you can create new projects, etc., before you send the ticket. Thanks.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Also random thing I noticed when looking for the release threads, why are they in the Community Tech Support section? Doesn't it seem more appropriate to have them in announcements? Or now that these threads are more frequent maybe it would be worth having a section dedicated to release threads.

I think having a dedicated releases section would be really useful. Since right now once a release thread is old and becomes unpinned it simply is lost into the mountains of threads asking how to make MMOs and other debugging questions.
I'll talk to @Nocturne about having a dedicated subsection for GameMaker Studio 2 Releases and possibly move all of these threads to there :)

gnysek

That cliboard bug happens too often to test this version properly, I'll wait for next one (most of bug I encountered are those in "known bugs" section). I have one bug with game which doesn't run (memory crruption), but I'll also wait with that for next version, as it's too hard to narrow it down when IDE hangs so often for me.

vdweller

@Dan

• Room Editor: Named instances reuse their same ID when duplicating that room [note this fix is only to stop the issue happening again now - it will not automatically refactor projects already in this state, so this is something you may need to fix manually]
In an existing project which tries to access an instance name with duplicate instance names hanging around from room duplications, does this still produce undefined behavior?

caelangm

That looks like your DPI value in Preferences is very high
1) Go to /var/opt/GameMakerStudio2-Beta
2) There should be file dpi_override.json (if not, create, may require sudo)
3) Write inside: [{"Key":"is_enabled","Value":true},{"Key":"value","Value":96}]
Was able to work through it with this help! The folder was in a slightly different location for me, but maybe that's because I'm on mac. Wasn't too hard to find! Thank you both!!

Only issue now is that everything looks super anti-aliased, as if it were really low res and blown up to fit my screen. Tried many different DPI values, and none really changed anything. Am I just stuck with this now? May be hard to tell in the pic but it's pretty extreme

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.56.00 AM.jpg

babyjeans

Came to echo caelangm's concerns on Mac... I used to DPI fix to get it to be a normal size on my screen, but the quality of the rendering in the IDE is extremely abysmal. I am very concerned about this carrying over to Release like this since it's really a terrible user experience.

A comparison -

Release code rendering:
release.png

Beta code rendering:
beta.png

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Came to echo caelangm's concerns on Mac... I used to DPI fix to get it to be a normal size on my screen, but the quality of the rendering in the IDE is extremely abysmal. I am very concerned about this carrying over to Release like this since it's really a terrible user experience.

A comparison -

Release code rendering:
View attachment 41991

Beta code rendering:
View attachment 41992
What platform is this rendering on (and what GPU)??? It would also be good to know what display driver (version number) you have as well

Russell

babyjeans

This is on the macOS platform... I'm using the latest version of macOS (11.4).
I'm running on a MacBook Pro (2019) so it's the 16" 3072x1920 DIsplay
It appears GMS 2 is NOT being run on the discrete GPU, so it's running on:
Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 3.19.05 PM.png

macOS doesn't readily provide display driver version numbers, as they're all part of the OS itself and updated when there's OS updates.

caelangm

What platform is this rendering on (and what GPU)??? It would also be good to know what display driver (version number) you have as well

Russell
This is on the macOS platform... I'm using the latest version of macOS (11.4).
I'm running on a MacBook Pro (2019) so it's the 16" 3072x1920 DIsplay
It appears GMS 2 is NOT being run on the discrete GPU, so it's running on:
View attachment 41998

macOS doesn't readily provide display driver version numbers, as they're all part of the OS itself and updated when there's OS updates.
To add to this, I'm experiencing the same issue on my MacBook Pro 2017, on a slightly older OS.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.27.48 PM.png

gnysek

That might be tied to OpenTK -> SDL2 change. For sure all non-windows IDE on fresh installs have 200-400% zoom by default which should be fixed for next beta. I'm thinking that maybe it was because I've got second screen connected - if DPI is based on monitors width, then I've got 4K (while it's 2xHD in fact).

Status
Not open for further replies.