OFFICIAL 2.3.3 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingyo

He was saying that this bug has been around for a long time and just hasn't been fixed yet. I've had this issue a few times over the past year, so it might be a bit before it gets fixed.
Yeah, this one is a slightly older known issue - it's not a new 2.3.3 thing.
Oh, I'm so sorry. I had misunderstood the meaning because of my bad English. I will wait for it to be improved. Thank you.

Love the new inspector, and compile times are definitely much improved!
But for some reason my game seems to be running at (roughly) 30 fps now instead of 60 (It worked fine in 2.3.2)
The actual fps reported in the Debugger hasn't changed (around 800 fps), but I noticed in the profiler, that draw & step events are only being called about 30 times a second.
I checked the game options, and 'Game frames per second' is still set to 60.
I honestly can't figure out what's going on here.

Edit:
Original test was done in Windows VM, problem persists in Windows YYC.
Also tested macOS VM and HTML5, and they both run fine at the proper speed.

Edit 2:
Used Fraps to figure out the exact framerate and noticed it's rapidly flip flopping between 37 and 38 fps, which I realized is half of my monitors refresh rate (75hz display).
So I found that forcing my display to 60hz fixes the issue, as does disabling synchronization in Windows graphics game settings.
But this wasn't an issue in 2.3.2, and I figure this problem would be consistent with any monitors with refresh rates not divisible by the game's framerate.
Anyway hope this info helps, besides this hiccup, 2.3.3 is an excellent update, the per-asset undo is great, and I'm really looking forward to future Inspector updates
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as described here and as in "Edit 2" above (I'm on IDE 2.3.3.570) where my monitor's default refresh rate is 75Hz and running anything in GameMaker since this update now runs at that sort of half frame rate described, whereas if I force my monitor to 60Hz, the projects run fine. This is happening with all projects (including those unchanged since pre-2.3.3) and wasn't an issue before the update (only thing I'd add is that I didn't have synchronization enabled anyway so it does just appear to be the monitor's refresh rate doing it). Has this been raised as a bug already (as others have mentioned it) or would it help if I raise it too?
(Didn't realise I'd never actually posted on here before, so in general thanks for everything you guys do and GameMaker rules šŸ¤˜)

Dwarfaparte

Getting some crashes while running in debug mode. Seems to occur when I add breakpoints and the game stops to show the code. A few seconds later, the game crashes, with the message:
FAILED: Run Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.

But, there are no compile errors and the game was already running, so the build didn't really fail? It seems hovering over variables in the code window after the game has hit a breakpoint to see what they are causes the crash maybe?

Pzaan

Does anyone else see a rendering glitch in the Image Editor color palette? It looks like the color swatches are drawn 1 pixel to the left, which creates a distracting border around each swatch.

1626560890155.png

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
That's IDE v23.1.1.322 Runtime v23.1.1.325 rolling out now - contains the 2 changes:

One is another fix for F1/MMB not jumping to the correct line of the script which contains that function declaration (this one specific to if the code editor was a full workspace tab of its own when you F1/MMB).
And the other is that specifically runtime 323 contained an issue with methods reusing an argument name inside and outside the function, then in-game you would get a code error that the variable could not be found.

We will get all of these fixes out as an update to stable soon.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hi, after installing the version of "GameMakerStudio-2.3.3.570" I have ugly notes.
There was a change of font in this version and unfortunately that was not noticed. It's already in our bug database and will be fixed for 2.3.4, so you do not need to report this as a bug ticket (although, many thanks if you already have).

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
It seems hovering over variables in the code window after the game has hit a breakpoint to see what they are causes the crash maybe?
We have seen that in the past, so that might be the case - the contents of the tooltip can cause issues, depending on what is trying to be rendered. Please file a ticket with as small a sample as you can make which shows the problem code , and then we can confirm here. Thanks.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as described here and as in "Edit 2" above (I'm on IDE 2.3.3.570) where my monitor's default refresh rate is 75Hz and running anything in GameMaker since this update now runs at that sort of half frame rate described
Are you also still using Windows 7 and/or are you using a monitor which goes higher than 60hz? If so, we are aware of the issue and will need to look into this for 2.3.4. (We have had a couple of tickets about this already, plus the earlier discussion here, so if you haven't sent a ticket already, then there is no need to send one now, but thanks!)

You may find the issue is resolved on your hardware if you disable Vsync in Game Options/in-game.

ivanuska

asset_get_index() doesn't work properly on the html5 export when used on a tileset name. It always returns -1 on html5, but returns a correct index on windows. I've submitted a bug report.
It doesn't seem to work on the GMS2 version just before this one either.
I second this as a bug. last know working runtime is 2.3.2.426

vdweller

Yeah, this one is a slightly older known issue - it's not a new 2.3.3 thing.
HI, any chance this will be addressed?

Edit: I mean the room duplicate/instance copy pasting that gives the same name and causes errors. Maybe include the room ID in the hash?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
HI, any chance this will be addressed?
Yes, but not for this little 2.3.3 update. Unfortunately, the issue you're referring to has been around for a while and actually causes a few issues/changes to be required in various places - 1.x project importing needs a check for this being the case in existing projects, for example. I have raised it for discussion as to if we can do it for 2.3.4.

This one has been in the IDE known issues table for a while as "Room Editor: Named instances reuse their same ID when duplicating that room", so you can keep an eye on that for further progress updates.

vdweller

Yes, but not for this little 2.3.3 update. Unfortunately, the issue you're referring to has been around for a while and actually causes a few issues/changes to be required in various places - 1.x project importing needs a check for this being the case in existing projects, for example. I have raised it for discussion as to if we can do it for 2.3.4.

This one has been in the IDE known issues table for a while as "Room Editor: Named instances reuse their same ID when duplicating that room", so you can keep an eye on that for further progress updates.
Thanks for the reply. I have resubmitted a relevant ticket, despite the issue being already reported, to elaborate on the implications for large projects relying on room duplications and providing an example. I really hope that any resolution will retroactively fix existing projects. Simply reshuffling instance names in all rooms is a no-no since many of these can be referenced in-code (unless there is somehow a list of these instances who are referenced in code).

Also, just a silly layman opinion, but if you are using an unordered_map or some such, shouldn't just adding the room ID along with the instance name resolve the issue? So a single room can't have 2 identical instance names, but 2 different rooms could?

Are you also still using Windows 7 and/or are you using a monitor which goes higher than 60hz? If so, we are aware of the issue and will need to look into this for 2.3.4. (We have had a couple of tickets about this already, plus the earlier discussion here, so if you haven't sent a ticket already, then there is no need to send one now, but thanks!)

You may find the issue is resolved on your hardware if you disable Vsync in Game Options/in-game.
Yeah my monitor's at 75Hz typically, but I can live with switching it to 60Hz while working in GameMaker 'til 2.3.4 is sorted, thanks! :)
EDIT: (Oh and I'm using Windows 10 btw)
EDIT2: Just tested and yes turning off vsync also stops the framerate issues

Last edited:

Heathenlamb

I can't import png sprite sequences anymore. When I create a new sprite and highlight the frames to import in to the sprite it only brings in the first frame and that's it. I can't make any animated sprites at all.

GameDevTosh

On latest stable release. My show_debug_messages still don't work on my main project under any circumstances. Show_messages work. Show_debug_messages also work on new projects, so I have no idea what could have caused my main project to break this way.

Ricardo

@Dan when running any project using YYC on my M1 Mac I get a process called mono-sgen64 taking 100% of the CPU and it doesn't go away when closing the game (the machine gets hots and battery drains as a result). This doesn't seem to happen in VM.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Dan when running any project using YYC on my M1 Mac I get a process called mono-sgen64 taking 100% of the CPU and it doesn't go away when closing the game (the machine gets hots and battery drains as a result). This doesn't seem to happen in VM.
That sounds like Igor / AssetCompiler which should go away when you Stop the game within the IDE - should not be there when you Run the game once you have Created an Executable and run the output yourself.

File a bug about it taking up CPU time (should be nowhere near that - as CPU must just be spinning most of the time) - I suspect it is in a tight loop looking for console output.

Russell

ac585318

Having two issues with my 2 year project (imported from 1.4 several months ago) on newest version. I'll file a report in a few.
  1. Any audio files using Compressed - Streamed fail to load/play in-game. Switching to any other option works.
  2. All show_debug_message's don't work, under any circumstances.
  3. Lots of people on the GM discord are having the above listed Hint: <paramlist> = <param> [, <paramlist>] error.
I'm having this exact issue... Any solution/s yet?

Edit: For me, my audio groups fail to load/play, regardless of compression attribute, but sounds can play under the default audio group... But before the update they and the audio groups loaded fine.

Edit Vol.2:
Edit: strange, i unchecked "use alternative launcher for steam application" and everything works fine even though this has always been checked. The .ogg audio even streams again. I'm still very curious as to what that bullet point completely means though.
This seemed to fix it for now, but now I dunno what else I've done by unticking the option lol

Last edited:

Ricardo

That sounds like Igor / AssetCompiler which should go away when you Stop the game within the IDE - should not be there when you Run the game once you have Created an Executable and run the output yourself.

File a bug about it taking up CPU time (should be nowhere near that - as CPU must just be spinning most of the time) - I suspect it is in a tight loop looking for console output.

Russell

Julje

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.3.574 Runtime v2.3.3.437 (July 22, 2021)

Please see the two release notes links just above for the updated changes at the top of each page.

Since 2.3.2.570 there were 4 further small Beta releases to quickly fix some of the commonly-reported issues in this thread, so you will see these mentioned below. There is no change between this new 2.3.3 and the fourth Beta (IDE 322/runtime 325). If you wish to get more information on Beta releases ahead of 2.3.4, etc., then please see How-To-Install-GameMaker-Studio-2-Beta-Releases (however, be aware the "current beta release thread" is effectively currently this page you're on right now).

Current Release - IDE v2.3.3.570 Runtime v2.3.3.434 (July 13, 2021)

Please see the two release notes links just above.

My game won't play sounds. I use audio_play_suond(suond,1,1) code but nothing plays. I tested with audio_is_playing and it returned 0 so it just won't play at all.

I've just updated to 3.3.574 and am having a strange silhouetting effect to the objects/assets that I drag into rooms... All of my sprites look fine inside the image editor, but they have a dark grey outline when in the room. Basically, any bit of transparent alpha seems to take on this dark tone edge. Does anyone have this problem.
thx.

gnysek

That might be blending issue - are you using surfaces or changing blend mode maybe? I've got issues like this (only) when using application_surface, and this seems to fix it:
GML:
gpu_set_blendenable(false);
draw_surface(application_surface, 0, 0);
gpu_set_blendenable(true);

Ricoh5A22

Is anybody having a problem with a sound looping forever in the sequence editor? I put a sound in a sequence with a duration of one frame and when I play the sequence the audio keeping repeating, even after the sequence ends. I need to close the gamemaker to make the sound stop. I don't know if its a bug or I'm doing something wrong, but didn't find any configuration related to sound looping in the sequence.

Is anybody having a problem with a sound looping forever in the sequence editor? I put a sound in a sequence with a duration of one frame and when I play the sequence the audio keeping repeating, even after the sequence ends. I need to close the gamemaker to make the sound stop. I don't know if its a bug or I'm doing something wrong, but didn't find any configuration related to sound looping in the sequence.
I am also having a sound looping forever issue on HTML5. Even if I use audio_stop_sound() or audio_stop_all(), it won't turn off the sounds. The sounds would also play even if you minimize the browser or go to a different tab. It is like these sounds looping forever are invisible to Gamemaker, as the GML functions can't detect them it seems.

It works good on Windows though.

Edit: I did find a workaround to the issue. I don't know exactly what is causing it.

Last edited:
That might be blending issue - are you using surfaces or changing blend mode maybe? I've got issues like this (only) when using application_surface, and this seems to fix it:
GML:
gpu_set_blendenable(false);
draw_surface(application_surface, 0, 0);
gpu_set_blendenable(true);
I'm not doing any programing, just simply dragging assets into the room editor from the resource tree.

Ricoh5A22

I am also having a sound looping forever issue on HTML5. Even if I use audio_stop_sound() or audio_stop_all(), it won't turn off the sounds. The sounds would also play even if you minimize the browser or go to a different tab. It is like these sounds looping forever are invisible to Gamemaker, as the GML functions can't detect them it seems.

It works good on Windows though.

Edit: I did find a workaround to the issue. I don't know exactly what is causing it.
Did you try to clean the build? In my case, most of the html related issues are because I ran it after running the desktop version without doing a cleanup first.

Did you try to clean the build? In my case, most of the html related issues are because I ran it after running the desktop version without doing a cleanup first.
Yeah I did.. been using HTML5 GM for 3-4 years now.. I am very aware that this platform always has problems.. I use this platform full-time and always come into bug issues with whichever GM version I use..

I think "audio_sound_set_track_position()" might be bugged. Whenever I use it, it messes up my audio and it will make the audio repeat even though I would call these functions audio_stop_sound() or audio_stop_all(). These 2 functions don't make the audio stop. I am playing around with it to confirm that it is bugged.

Ricoh5A22

Yeah I did.. been using HTML5 GM for 3-4 years now.. I am very aware that this platform always has problems.. I use this platform full-time and always come into bug issues with whichever GM version I use..

I think "audio_sound_set_track_position()" might be bugged. Whenever I use it, it messes up my audio and it will make the audio repeat even though I would call these functions audio_stop_sound() or audio_stop_all(). These 2 functions don't make the audio stop. I am playing around with it to confirm that it is bugged.
Yes, I can confirm that. I created a sample project to test it and the stop functions does not work when using the track_position function with HTML5 export.

(IDE v2.3.3.574 - Runtime v2.3.3.437)

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Yes, I can confirm that. I created a sample project to test it and the stop functions does not work when using the track_position function with HTML5 export.

(IDE v2.3.3.574 - Runtime v2.3.3.437)
I'm having the exact same problem... Whenever I use audio_sound_set_track_position(), it seems like the other functions don't respond... (the entire audio system stops working).

Last edited:

Appsurd

For me, projects that were created <2.3.3 which I opened in 2.3.3 no longer produce ANY output in the console. Is this a known issue?

bodziozet

Hi. I have a question is it possible to game to run slower after the update. Because I seem to have this issue. After updating game maker my fps seem to drop from 60 to 43-45. The same thing is after making executable file the fps is still 43-46 but when I open executable created before the update my fps is 60. I have to mention that i develop from pretty old laptop Lenovo T510 and still have Windows 7 operating system but it is still weird that executable created on older game maker version runs 15 fps faster.

Andrey

Hi. I have a question is it possible to game to run slower after the update. Because I seem to have this issue. After updating game maker my fps seem to drop from 60 to 43-45. The same thing is after making executable file the fps is still 43-46 but when I open executable created before the update my fps is 60. I have to mention that i develop from pretty old laptop Lenovo T510 and still have Windows 7 operating system but it is still weird that executable created on older game maker version runs 15 fps faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.