Not open for further replies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

THEME:
MYTHOLOGIES

Temporary License for the Jam

https://accounts.yoyogames.com/promo/gmc42
Just click the link and you'll have a temp export license for the jam!

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 42nd such jam.

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.

GMC Jam 42 will take place on the following dates:

Aug 26th, 2021 12:00 UTC - Aug 30th, 2021 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

Enter in the Games Topic

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game. Free temporary export licenses will be available for all users for the duration of the jam.
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on Aug 26th and 12:00 UTC on Aug 30th, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
  • The credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam; The creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed. (This rule is enforced, failure to follow this rule will result in not being eligible for a medal and final score being affected)
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on Aug 30th.
  • All entries should work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but most voters will be using Windows and therefore your entry should work primarily on windows in order to secure a decent amount of feedback.
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens and in the rules discussion topic.

• As soon as the Jam ends on Aug 30th at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.
  • Voters will then have just over 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on Sep 13th at 9:00 UTC.
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on their votes, following the formula <BASE SCORE> * <TOTAL VOTES> / (<TOTAL VOTES> - <VOTING AUTHORS>) .
For example, with 20 votes:
- the entry whose author didn't vote would have average score of <BASE SCORE> / 20
- the entry with 1 voting author would have average score of <BASE SCORE> / (20-1) = <BASE SCORE> / 19
- the entry with 3 voting authors would have average score of <BASE SCORE> / (20-3) = <BASE SCORE> / 17

More info in the Jams Suggestion topic
As this is Alice's formula and she's more mathematically inclined then a raccoon with a PhD in pizza, she shall handle voting for the most part. Alice you are the best!

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes​
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalized banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.
  • More to be confirmed...

Community Prizes​

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @EvanSki , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam. Please make sure to check out the post link for each prize to get full info.
  • [post] @Mr Magnus (working on details) to the game that ends up in first place, second place, third place & the game that I personally rank first. A steam game of their choice, not exceeding a set value.
  • @Mr Magnus Everyone who enters will get to pick one game off that list of steam keys I just purchased from Humble Bundle in order of ranking. first gets first pick, second gets second, ect
  • [post] @Alice: I offer a full-picture fan art for the: 1st overall ranking game, game with Best Use of Theme award, and my personal favourite (i.e. the game I rank first in my votes)
  • [post] @GameDevDan I'd like to offer the top 3 finishers keys for a bunch of Chequered Ink games on Steam and/or Nintendo Switch. I'll also create some kind of fan art for the top 10 games in one combined image.
  • [post] @Cloaked Games I will offer a copy of The Last Librarian to the winner of Best Story.
  • [post] @HayManMarc I will offer "HayManMarc's Mediocre Mystery Prize" to the entry that places exactly in the middle of the rankings. So, ( Total entries / 2 )
  • [post] @Micah_DS To the game that I personally find to have the most excellent or inspiring game-identifying graphic, I offer a low poly 3D recreation of said graphic, in the form of a spinning GIF.
  • [post] @dadio my 500+ font commercial use license prize to the top 3 entries.
  • [post] @Bart I will make a very tiny 3D model, complete with a basic GM viewer, of some sort of "trophy" of my favorite entry. It will contain the game's highlights and perhaps some other things.
  • ...no more prizes, why not submit one?

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @EvanSki , a private message with the skills you are offering.
  • @Heyboi_123 EEE looking for a teammate. I am a very new coder, and I have started about 1 - 2 weeks ago. I would like a new team to try out to code in a fun way, and learn a bit. I can do a bit of art, but as I say again I am very new.
  • EXAMPLE: ( Member ) is a ( Skill ) looking for a ( Other Skill )...

Live Streams! This is a list of people who have told me that they are planning on streaming their playthroughs of the jam games! I encourage those that want or are wanting to stream the games to do so and also let the community know! Streaming games allows the devs of the games to have play tests of their games and gain useful info about how they can further improve their game dev skills! PLEASE NOTE: Nothing is confirmed yet this is to just give a general idea, a more confirmed and up to date list will be in the voting topic.

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

oh the blurriness

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-thoughtful-gmc-jam-42.87638/][img]https://i.imgur.com/JXceT01.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I love the graphic. Looks just like Deep Thought from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

(There's still some 41's to turn into 42's in the first post.)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'm technically on call that weekend, but most of the time there isn't too much happening as far as emergencies with work so I'm still participating anyway. I think I'm gonna force myself into pixel art this time around...I've gotta break that barrier at some point, even if it looks like trash. Maybe with a palette chosen well I can get something readeable atleast.

Micah_DS

I was able to line up my paid vacation time so I can have the whole jam free and make $$ at the same time. Needless to say, I'm even more excited then usual. :p

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Time flies. I thought I just buried my last game. RIP...........
It's 3 months...but it ends up feeling like way less. First, there is that weeks of voting period and posting of congrats etc.... then, the announcement for the next jam happens like a month before it even starts....so the time with no exposure to jam content is maybe a month and a half?!?! I'm not complaining...just observing some of why it feels like such a short time.

Toque

It's 3 months...but it ends up feeling like way less. First, there is that weeks of voting period and posting of congrats etc.... then, the announcement for the next jam happens like a month before it even starts....so the time with no exposure to jam content is maybe a month and a half?!?! I'm not complaining...just observing some of why it feels like such a short time.

Thats very true. The judging adds some extra time fore sure. And two weeks for my back to recover........ And Evanski gives us seniors the game theme a week in advance so thats shortens it even more........

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Thats very true. The judging adds some extra time fore sure. And two weeks for my back to recover........ And Evanski gives us seniors the game theme a week in advance so thats shortens it even more........
so by all means whats the theme this time? :cool:

Micah_DS

I'm assuming there is at least one space and that spaces are not included in those 11 characters, since that's how it's been in recent jams. So my best guess would have to be...

Anime Tropes {^ - ^}

Micah_DS

More guesses (still assuming spaces aren't included in the blanks):

FORCE FIELDS
LIMITED TIME
FIND PURPOSE
SLAP OBJECTS
CHICKEN LEGS
SERENDIPITY
WORLD CRISIS
COOKING MEAT
EATING MEATS
MEATING MEAT
MEATLY MEATS
LUCID DREAMS
TOILET STORY šŸ¤”

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
It's like Cave Story... but it takes place...elsewhere.

I don't know. I make too many poo games as it is. I'm hoping it's Chicken Legs. I got a good idea for that one.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I notice @EvanSki added a different 'react' to Me and @HayManMarc 's posts. HayMan had put several guesses, and I stated that two of those seemed legit. Now I'm wondering if one of those happens to be it. You guys know how Evan tries to hide clues(and yet fails miserably :) ). But then He could be trying to fake us out too.....

Bart

WiseBart
With the current clues it can't be ABOMINATION anymore but MONSTROSITY is still an option.

A couple of more serious ideas:
MAYHEM GANG
MAXIMIZER/MINIMIZER
MARTIAN GAME
MIX 'N MATCH

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
M _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I E S

Sorry their is no video, My computer is still being worked on so I'm not able to do video edits and such,
Regarding GMS2 license changes, I plan to have the jam as normal on Aug 26.
I will update you all about being able to export/share jam games when I have the info.
I'll even hold off the jam a bit if it means we can all export/share our jam games for the jam.
So no worries their.
So to make all this bad news bitter sweet, here is 3 letters ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.