• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Can't place tiles outside of parent's room perimeter in a child that has a larger room perimeter

flyinian

Example:
1. Create parent with x/y room size
2. Create child
3. Give the child a larger room perimeter than parent.
4. Can't place tiles outside of the parent's room perimeter even though the child's room perimeter is larger.

Parent room size: 640,360

Child room size: 5000, 5000

Can't place tiles outside of the 640,360 room size which is inherited by the child initially, but overridden afterwards in the room settings.
I've changed the child's inheritance in all categories and nothing changes.

Here's a visual:
The is the child's room.
The gray squares are the tiles.
The White box is the view port. Same size as the parent's room size(For clarification).
The black background is the child's room.
The gray tiles can't leave the parent's room size even though the child's room size is larger.
1626916258133.png

I Found:
This can be "fixed" by giving the parent a larger room perimeter than what the child may need. However, The child's tiles can be placed outside of it's own room size because the parent's room perimeter is larger than the child.

Questions:
1Q: Children that were created before the room size increase are not effected by the new room size. New children are. Why is this?
2Q: Is there a way to fix this to where I can place tiles anywhere I want within the child room perimeter? If so, Could you explain?

I'm going to assume that this minor nuisance won't have an effect on anything if I make the parent room larger than needed and size the child's room to what I need. If there is, please let me know. Thanks.

Turns out, this is a known bug.

Last edited:

Jakylgamer

this is how i get it to work
- click inherit box on/off (ending with off) in child "room settings" then resize the room back to where it should be
then you should be able to add tiles outside the parent room size

flyinian

this is how i get it to work
- click inherit box on/off (ending with off) in child "room settings" then resize the room back to where it should be
then you should be able to add tiles outside the parent room size
Tried this, Doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks for the potential fix.