• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Room launching order issue! (and ...bug submission process - is it actually worth it?!)

Japster

Hi guys - I'm not sure if any of you have submitted bug reports yet, but I took the (quite substantial) time to thoroughly document a game-crippling bug I discovered in the HTML5 target on the later run-times, put the EXACT release that it stopped working properly in, and the one it worked in, 1 release prior. Added my project file, gave full logs and instructions on how to reproduce it in FIVE SECONDS flat. In short, everything needed to quickly investigate and hopefully fix this bug ASAP.

I've now waited WEEKS, no (as in, none-automated auto) email, no response, etc, and my project is now sat in limbo (and yes, it's ready to release other than this) while I wait for a response even.

I did originally get by via switching to the old runtime, but now even this isn't working - for some reason, switching to the older runtime now makes the game crash on launch (for EVERY target build, HTML5 and Windows included), as even though the rooms are still showing as being in the correct order, with my splash screen the first (and this works with the newer (broken) runtime), NOTHING I do, other than deleting my entire 'problematic' room and re-creating it (not even copying and deleting it), makes the project launch using the correct starting room (which also sets up the variables etc....)

Even trying to force a room change at the start, is completely ignored - GMS2 wants to start with that bloody room, and nothing will stop it from doing so! even checked room creation code etc, nothing - GMS2 completely ignores any attempt to reset the room, even setting another room to start, then resetting, doesn't work. If anyone has seen this issue, and knows how to possibly resolve it, I would be hugely appreciative!

As it stands, I'm trying to help YoYo AND myself, by submitting a literally game/engine-breaking HTML5 bug with EVERYTHING needed to more easily track it down and revert it to it's (previously) perfect behaviour, and feel like I'm being COMPLETELY ignored, AND losing money....

Oh, and that latest bug - the one where half of the time, the HTML5 Neon Jam entries were not even accepting any mouse buttons or key presses? - I noticed if you have an active button (seemingly random buttons) on a page, and click it, it sometimes starts accepting input as normal. Another 'quirk' that's been around for way too long - reading on the forums about hacks and tricks to try and get focus - surely by now this should also be fixed?! - As it stands, one of the known 'fixes' (workarounds) for this is....

...yep... ...build with that older runtime that works for my dual-mouse button presses - "2.3.0.401" - ironic, no?... Doesn't this show that issues occurred in the release immediately following this one?

I know that YoYo are busy guys, but really, stuff like this makes me want to re-assess my opinion of the quality of support provided, and is frustrating as hell... :(

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Not sure about the room issue you describe, but the lack of input detection was reported as fixed in one of the last few betas, so I guess you'll get that fix when the next Stable is released.
  • Building Projects: [HTML5] Added additional iframe focus-detection code in response to Itch.io/Newgrounds changes
Source

Might be worth at least trying the latest beta to see if the room issue you are having has been fixed without you getting a direct response yet or in case some other indirect fix has solved your problem.

Japster

Not sure about the room issue you describe, but the lack of input detection was reported as fixed in one of the last few betas, so I guess you'll get that fix when the next Stable is released.
  • Building Projects: [HTML5] Added additional iframe focus-detection code in response to Itch.io/Newgrounds changes
Source: https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes-NuBeta.html

Might be worth at least trying the latest beta to see if the room issue you are having has been fixed without you getting a direct response yet or in case some other indirect fix has solved your problem.
Thanks a lot mate - will give this a try!.... I'll also check to see if that mouse button issue is fixed (you never know)....

Japster

Okay, so the BETA version fixes the issue with focus, great! - Thanks @rIKmAN!

However, it does NOT fix the issue with 2 buttons held (say, LEFT + RIGHT), then releasing one, still returning TRUE for BOTH buttons, when checking mouse buttons in GML code...

@Nocturne - I know you're not officially YoYo support any more mate, but who can I safely tag to maybe check into this ASAP for me please? - Cheers as always! :)

PS - ANYONE can EASILY reproduce this bug - just check BOTH buttons as shown - in v2.3.0.401, it works PERFECTLY. In *EVERY SINGLE* later runtime, it returns true for BOTH buttons, when one is released, UNTIL BOTH are released....

...STEP event:-

GML:
    var Left_Pressed_Now = (mouse_check_button(mb_left));
    var Right_Pressed_Now = (mouse_check_button(mb_right));
Showing both of these results in debug etc, returns 1 and 1, even when letting go of either.... ...only returning to 0 and 0 when BOTH are released, and repeatable by simply holding both again, releasing one, etc...

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@Nocturne - I know you're not officially YoYo support any more mate, but who can I safely tag to maybe check into this ASAP for me please? - Cheers as always! :)
Can't really recommend that you tag anyone I'm afraid! Best bet is to file a bug report (which I'm sure you've done already) and also leave a comment in the Beta topic about the issue, as that's the only topic you can guarantee that someone from YYG will look at.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
PS - ANYONE can EASILY reproduce this bug - just check BOTH buttons as shown - in v2.3.0.401, it works PERFECTLY. In *EVERY SINGLE* later runtime, it returns true for BOTH buttons, when one is released, UNTIL BOTH are released....

...STEP event:-

GML:
Showing both of these results in debug etc, returns 1 and 1, even when letting go of either.... ...only returning to 0 and 0 when BOTH are released, and repeatable by simply holding both again, releasing one, etc...
Are you sure this is not a hardware defect of your mouse, a driver issue or anything else on your end? I'm unable to reproduce this issue on 2.3.2.560/2.3.2.426. This code works perfectly for me:

GML:

show_debug_message(string(Left_Pressed_Now) + " " + string(Right_Pressed_Now));
Holding none - left - both - right - none:
GML:
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
1 0
1 0
1 0
1 1
1 1
1 1
1 1
1 1
1 1
1 1
0 1
0 1
0 1
0 1
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0

Edit: Oops. Tested on Windows, not HTML5. Tsuka stupid.

Last edited:

Japster

Can't really recommend that you tag anyone I'm afraid! Best bet is to file a bug report (which I'm sure you've done already) and also leave a comment in the Beta topic about the issue, as that's the only topic you can guarantee that someone from YYG will look at.
Ahh.... oh well, thanks as always mate - Will post in the Beta topic then, but seems crazy that we can't tag ppl after we've taken the time to actually create a bug report, and need them to act on it.... :(

Japster

PS - Not related directly, but if I load my now 'problem' (room execution order) project into 2.3.1.x, I don't get THAT issue at least...

So something in a latest IDE/Runtime saved project seems to break backwards compatibility re. the room execution / order, for 2.3.0.x (normally not even considered a problem I guess, but in MY circumstances, it's my current only runtime option.

Obviously, 2.3.1.x introduces the mouse button issue above, so can't use it to release - kind of leaves me in the same position... :(

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please file a ticket for any issue you find or add it to a relevant existing ticket if you haven't done so already. You can of course post it here to discuss it with others, but please also make sure to forward it to the developers so that they can take a look at it and work on a solution, as this forum is not monitored by them. :)

Japster

So again, I check if my bug (that I received a confirmation of creating) has been created, and I can't see it....

Is it just me?! - do they 'hide' until picked up? - Bug ticket number is 185212, in case anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

I tried posting in the Beta thread, but it's now locked... :(

Last edited:

Japster

Out of curiosity, when you say "check if my bug [...] has been created", where do you check?
Hi mate - I checked on:-

https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view_all_bug_page.php

I created the bug using the correct form where you contact YoYo after logging in too, and received the confirmation, so not sure if it's because I'm not YoYo staff - it mentions about only YoYo can report etc - I can see existing bugs that are assigned or fixed, but nothing other than that, so assumed I won't, until it's allocated or picked up by a dev? :(

Searching for my ticket number returns this:-

"APPLICATION ERROR #1100

Issue 185212 not found.

Please use the "Back" button in your web browser to return to the previous page. There you can correct whatever problems were identified in this error or select another action. You can also click an option from the menu bar to go directly to a new section."

It's absolutely frustrating that it is quite literally the ONLY bug now (and let's be honest, a really BAD game-breaking one), that's stopping me from releasing my game.... :(

chamaeleon

My understanding is that that bug tracker is no longer used (or new bugs in it no longer in a public queue). When I get emails back saying they have acknowledged the submission they also say " The bug database is now fully private, so I do not have a link you can monitor, [...]". If you sort the bugs by their submission date, newest to earliest, you'll see the last (visible) being submitted in July last year, almost a year.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Tickets are invisible to the public by default. They have to be made visible before they appear anywhere. This means that the ticket needs to be checked and handled by someone, and they need to decide that it should be made public. Since your ticket contains a project, chances are it is intentionally not being made public so as to not leak your game's source code.

Japster

Tickets are invisible to the public by default. They have to be made visible before they appear anywhere. This means that the ticket needs to be checked and handled by someone, and they need to decide that it should be made public. Since your ticket contains a project, chances are it is intentionally not being made public so as to not leak your game's source code.
Ahh... That makes sense, thanks @TsukaYuriko! - In that case, I'm very relieved to hear that could be the reason - I mean, I submitted my entire affected game's project source (My recent Jam entry, re-worked for a different market, as it ranked quite poorly in the Jam for whatever reason :( ) to the YoYo team, so would be mortified if my project source was downloadable by just anyone... makes sense then!...

Still, some indication that it's not lost in the ether, would be reassuring... :(

Thanks also @chamaeleon for trying to help / advise... :)

Last edited:

Japster

My understanding is that that bug tracker is no longer used (or new bugs in it no longer in a public queue). When I get emails back saying they have acknowledged the submission they also say " The bug database is now fully private, so I do not have a link you can monitor, [...]". If you sort the bugs by their submission date, newest to earliest, you'll see the last (visible) being submitted in July last year, almost a year.
Cheers!... ...PS - I forgot to mention, if so, that sounds worrying, in terms of picking up and running with them!...

Japster

Okay, just wanted to say I take it back about bug submissions ;) - looks like the bug submission process *IS* working, albeit a black box until a dev reaches out to confirm so, but a little more reassured now...

I've now received a response and confirmation of the bug from YoYo, so cheers to them - although no indication of bug fix timescale / release, and they're going to mark it as "Solved" until they fix it for a future release - strange, but here's hoping it's fixed (very) soon!... :)

Fingers crossed I guess!

EDIT:- I've now worked out a solution to force my room order in the OLD runtime, so this is not such an emergency now, but it'd still be great to get it sorted so I can move to a later runtime, cheers guys!

Last edited:

Japster

FFFFFFS...

Well, I'm kind of officially *THIS* 🤬 far from giving up on GMS entirely...

I finally overcame all of the hurdles with runtimes / room order / mouse button bugs, get my game working properly again on 2.3.0.401, apply all of my crypto and high scores logic (thanks Appsurd), run the game, beautiful!...

...Go to create a Windows build, and nope. Fails. gives no indication of why. Tells me to check compile log, completely empty. Then I change to newest runtime. Same issue. Change to older runtime, compile with YYC - fails, but at least tells me it's erroring out trying to find the user data area file ("........\icons.ico" - not in work, so don't know the exact folder name...)...

Switch to HTML5, builds and runs fine?! - plays fine too.

Back to Windows, still *******...

Seems to also try running the game, but crashes out *immediately* - won't even get to show debug in room creation code, so can't even stop it and step....

Changed starting room, cleaning, deleting temp, asset, IDE, folders etc, no joy...

REALLY racked off now... ...It's not my month....

SO, my question is, have YoYo got, or does anyone (@Nocturne ? :) ) know, of a tool that can rebuild or clean up left over crap (deleted objects etc) COMPLETELY (including references) from a (2.3.x) project please?

I can only assume that some garbage / partial references are left over, *IF* it's NOT (and there's always a bloody good chance that it IS) something daft I've done - ie. I distinctly remembered removing an obsolete paste button and sprite at some point prior to the last time I built the Windows version, so possibly some corruption has occurred in the project?

...and yep, I know, I know... ...I should have backed up since I was winning, but I was in the zone.... argh...

chamaeleon

SO, my question is, have YoYo got, or does anyone (@Nocturne ? :) ) know, of a tool that can rebuild or clean up left over crap (deleted objects etc) COMPLETELY (including references) from a (2.3.x) project please?
Give yyp-maker a go. I can't say for sure if it does all you're asking for in this sentence, but it does create a new project file. Maybe it will help. Obviously, doing all the work using copies into new directories without disturbing the original should go without saying...

And as for backups... "I should have backed up since I was winning"? What the hell, man!? Backups should run behind the scenes on a regular schedule without you lifting a finger! Implement that now! :)

Japster

Well, it was worth a go, but no joy! :(

There is literally nothing in the log, unless I use the later runtimes, and it even seems to try and run the game, but immediately exits.... argh.... The error status seems to be a generic file / sprite / script / etc error it's found (again, only during the windows build, not HTML5!), but no details... :(

Code:
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0279246s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 07/19/2021 20:45:45
"cmd"  /c subst Y: "C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0279231s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 07/19/2021 20:45:45
"cmd"  /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0279256s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401" started at 07/19/2021 20:45:45
Loaded Macros from C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\CryptoSphe_1E2733DA_505E5840\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\japsters.cavern_944082\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\CryptoSphe_1E2733DA_505E5840\targetoptions.json
Setting up the Asset compiler
Found Project Format 2
Core Resources : Info - Project version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.4 > 1.3
Core Resources : Info - GMAudioGroup Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.3 > 1.0
Core Resources : Info - GMTextureGroup Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.3 > 1.0
Core Resources : Info - GMExtension Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.2 > 1.0
Core Resources : Info - GMExtension Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.2 > 1.0
Core Resources : Info - GMiOSOptions Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.3 > 1.0
Core Resources : Info - GMtvOSOptions Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.3 > 1.0
Core Resources : Info - GMWindowsOptions Resource version is newer than supported version in CoreResources: 1.1 > 1.0
ProjectFileWatcher:StartWatching:C:\Users\A\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\CryptoSphere
Started: 19/07/2021 20:45:45
Finished: 19/07/2021 20:45:46
Diff: 00:00:00.8553054
Loaded Project: CryptoSphere
finished.
Release build
Options: Z:/CryptoSphe_1E2733DA_505E5840\ExtensionOptions.json
OptionsIni
Options: Z:/CryptoSphe_1E2733DA_505E5840\PlatformOptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Final Compile...finished.
Looking for built-in particle images in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401\bin\ParticleImages
Saving IFF file... Y:/CryptoSphere_3C2B82D0_VM\CryptoSphere.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ACRV
Writing Chunk... SEQN
Writing Chunk... TAGS
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
1 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_1.png...
2 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_2.png...
3 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_3.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... DFNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=1242.7381
Stats : GMA : sp=68,au=15,bk=0,pt=6,sc=187,sh=0,fo=15,tl=0,ob=37,ro=4,da=2,ex=4,ma=90,fm=0x40B11D6FE72EA0
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/CryptoSphe_1E2733DA_505E5840\MainOptions.json
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device
Collision Event time(microsecs)=7

X://windows/Runner.exe exited with non-zero status (-1073741819)
elapsed time 00:00:04.5605905s for command "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -q -- Windows Run started at 07/19/2021 20:45:45
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0279267s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 07/19/2021 20:45:49
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0299192s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 07/19/2021 20:45:49
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0279252s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 07/19/2021 20:45:49
FAILED: Run Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.
...and yeah, backups.... heh heh!... I normally use github and source control, no excuse I know!.... :(

Japster

To add to this, I've confirmed that yes, I can happily build and run my Android version, HTML5 version, etc, just NOT the Windows version....

Think I'm going to have to get YoYo to help directly, as I've absolutely NO indication as to why it won't run. Even the windows build options file is that same as before the error.... argh...