• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Rearranging Instance Creation Order

TrunX

I just had to drag and drop a newly placed instance in the room on a layer with thousands of other instances... it scrolled so slowly it probably took more then 10 minutes of holding the mouse button until it finally reached the top of the list.
Is there still no solution for that problem that was long solved in GMS1? No buttons, right-click menu or keyboard shortcut to move an instance to the very top or very bottom? :(

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Modifying the room file in a text editor will be faster in that case.

I'd say the main problem is this, though:
I just had to drag and drop a newly placed instance in the room on a layer with thousands of other instances...
This instance should probably be on a layer with less instances, or on its own layer.

Edit: Tsuka stupid, only the instance order (sans creation) is split by layers.

Last edited:

Slyddar

No buttons, right-click menu or keyboard shortcut to move an instance to the very top or very bottom? :(
I 100% agree, it's extremely painful when you have many instances in your room. I added a feature request months ago, as others on here have appeared to have done as well over the years. Guess you can add a feature request as well. Either this one is too hard for them to solve, or they need a certain number of people asking for it before they can implement it. Is that how it works @rwkay ?

Slyddar

I'd say the main problem is this, though:
This instance should probably be on a layer with less instances, or on its own layer.
I'm only posting again because you've split the above posts from the other thread, but it really was the same problem, from a 4 year old thread. The problem being the instance creation order can't be sorted, which has nothing to do with the amount of instances on a layer. Instances on a layer has no bearing on being able to move a newly placed instance to the top of the instance creation order list.

I have a room with 200-300 instances on various layers, and the instance creation order list does not cater for layers in any way. As you know, it's just a list of all instances in the room, and having to drag a newly added instance from the bottom to the top is the only method within the editor to arrange instance order. There needs to be at least 2 simple buttons just like the room manager now has, move to top and move to bottom. It would save huge amounts of time, and as I've asked above, why after 4 years of asking can we not get this basic feature, or at least a reason as to why it can't be done?

My theory is the people who can approve it have never had a room with hundreds/thousands of instances, and wanted to move an instance to the top of the list, because if they did, they would add it to the next beta asap.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Same problem or not, no necrobumping and no hijacking other people's topics with one's own problems. :)

Anyway, you're correct, the instance creation order is in fact not split by layers. I somehow thought it was. Must have mixed it up with the instance order (sans creation). My apologies.
In that case, text editor is the fastest way I can come up with. Not an ideal way, but it is a way.

As for why this hasn't been added, that would have to be answered by the helpdesk as I'm not allowed to speculate about YYG policy.