• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Simple platformer in space

coldraw

Name: A simple platformer in space
Genre: Platformer
Sound: freesound.org
Made in GMS2

Download link

Controls:
Keyboard:
arrows - move left, right, crouch
z - jump
x - use, must be pressed or continuously pressed
enter - in-game menu.

Gamepad: (in brackets for X-box)
left stick - move left, right, crouch
3 (A) - jump
2 (B) - to use, must be pressed or continuously pressed
10 (Start) - in-game menu

Description:
A simple platformer in space. Only one level, passing time of about ten minutes.
Warning! With the sound quite a mess. In the options you can completely turn it off.
Controls are not reconfigurable. But you can put more comfortable icons for marking.
The size of the window can be changed without going into options.
There are minor bugs, problems with animation.

Thanks for any feedback.
Runner_2021-07-03_04-02-10.jpgRunner_2021-07-03_04-02-25.jpgSimplePlatformerInSpace_2021-07-02_22-56-57.jpgSimplePlatformerInSpace_2021-07-02_22-57-12.jpgSimplePlatformerInSpace_2021-07-02_22-58-54.jpg/SPOILER]

Update: Corrected the bug when controlling with keyboard. Thanks for the report, K12gamer.

Last edited:
A very solid, challenging platformer! I love the graphics style and various shader effects. Sounds are simple, but they do the job and lend a somewhat eerie feel to the game world. I like the complete lack of dialogue or hints, forcing the player to figure out everything on their own. Tying the oxygen tank to the healthbar is a clever design choice; I died a couple times because I hadn't bothered refilling my O2. My only gripe is that the onslaught of bullets from every direction gets a bit frustrating after a while; some areas seem impossible to traverse without taking damage at least once. Other than that, very fun and well-made game! I didn't quite beat it - on my last run, I played about 10 minutes before running out of air, so I assume I was close to the end - but I had a lot of fun and will retry later. Nice work!

K12gamer

Controls and animations are smooth. Fun to play. I got stuck at one part and didn't know what to do (See Video 3:09) I tried X but nothing happened.
Also...a good place to put your game would be itch.io and Game Jolt...if you didn't want to use Google Drive.

coldraw

A very solid, challenging platformer! I love the graphics style and various shader effects. Sounds are simple, but they do the job and lend a somewhat eerie feel to the game world. I like the complete lack of dialogue or hints, forcing the player to figure out everything on their own. Tying the oxygen tank to the healthbar is a clever design choice; I died a couple times because I hadn't bothered refilling my O2. My only gripe is that the onslaught of bullets from every direction gets a bit frustrating after a while; some areas seem impossible to traverse without taking damage at least once. Other than that, very fun and well-made game! I didn't quite beat it - on my last run, I played about 10 minutes before running out of air, so I assume I was close to the end - but I had a lot of fun and will retry later. Nice work!
Yes, there are indeed areas that you can't pass without taking damage. The level design is much more complex than I thought it would be. I will be working on this more in the future!

Controls and animations are smooth. Fun to play. I got stuck at one part and didn't know what to do (See Video 3:09) I tried X but nothing happened.
Also...a good place to put your game would be itch.io and Game Jolt...if you didn't want to use Google Drive.
Checked the code... everything is fine. Went through to this level, everything works. That elevator blinks and the button above it means it's active... Hmmm... very interesting! Can't catch this bug XD.
Thanks, for the tip with itch.io and Game Jolt, I'll try those!

Upd: Shame on me! A mistake in the code. There was no code to control with a keyboard (I mostly tested with a gamepad). Thanks for the report, K12gamer.

Thanks for the feedback! Very grateful!

Last edited: