• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows How do you reset a buggy debugger?

Dustin

My problems started when scripts with breakpoints wouldn't always appear in the debug window. Instead, the program would just pause until I went to the debug window (which was empty) and pressed the "play" button. Now, there are phantom breakpoints which won't go away, even after I cleaned the project and restarted GMS2.

Are there files I can delete to get the debug mode functional again? I really don't want to reinstall GMS2 since its difficult to control exactly which compiler version it uses and last time its configuration changed it took me a month to get the code fully functional again (since some functions were obsoleted or started behaving differently).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There are two things that you can try before going to the extreme of uninstalling and reinstalling:

1) Clear the cache! The "broom" icon at the top (beside Play and Debug) will do this for you and there are also some extra functions for cleaning the cache in the IDE Preferences.
2) Reset the IDE layout from the menu at the top of the screen. This could be that the layout for the debugger has become "corrupted" somehow so this may fix it.

Dustin

There are two things that you can try before going to the extreme of uninstalling and reinstalling:

1) Clear the cache! The "broom" icon at the top (beside Play and Debug) will do this for you and there are also some extra functions for cleaning the cache in the IDE Preferences.
2) Reset the IDE layout from the menu at the top of the screen. This could be that the layout for the debugger has become "corrupted" somehow so this may fix it.
Thanks! I didn't know about the "Reset IDE" option. In the end, I was able to fix the issue by resetting the IDE, clearing the cache, and restarting GMS2.