Basic GML Tutorials

B

Blackened

Nice video presentation. Having just watched the video contents on my 7" android tablet, I can say that quality of the presentation is crystal clear. I can read the code being displayed without strain, which is something that many youtube videos fall short on, even when viewing via desktop. The audio was also clear. I was able understood the content being conveyed. The length of the videos are reasonable and look very professional overall.

If I had anything to say about the tutorial content, it would be to explain the relationship between "if" and "else" and their evaluation logic. We don't need a detailed breakdown at this point, just a summary not unlike the manual.
The same would go for the "while" loop as you didn't explain what it does in context to the rest of the tutorial code unlike "sign" which you did explain.

Thanks for the effort!
-Bikkie

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GMLWaffle

@Sweetluvinbizkit Thanks for the support! I've thought about doing descriptive videos that cover subjects like if statements, if-else, while, and for loops, but I'd like to incorporate them in a manner where people will also be learning how to do something with them, like shooting, jumping, etc. I'm also really itching to get started on my Advanced series, but I'm still contemplating how to approach it, and whether the series should assume that viewers have a basic understanding of GML, or a more in-depth understanding of GML.

B

Blackened

I would leave the descriptives for the beginner videos as the advanced user should already have a functional culture of GML. In this manner, you will be able to free up more time to explain your advanced tutorial concepts instead. I might also suggest the usage of "intermediate" over "advance" as I am not so sure the advanced user would need to refer to tutorials in the first place. Just a thought.

You could also make a series of beginner (drills) about if, else, while, for, etc which you can then refer viewers to watch via the use of Youtube annotations etc. Hope this helps and thank you.
-Bikkie

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenysh Gale

Collision question: Instead of using only one "spr_wall" and "obj_wall" to make up the whole floor and wall structure, the test room I set up in my get-the-feet-wet project has multiple Wall sprites just so they can flow more fluently from a visual standpoint (thus meaning there will be more Wall "objects" involved), is there a more efficient way to "group" them in the collision coding so as not to have to execute the same code for each individual "obj_****" that you will be using for your wall?

Example of wall "pieces" objects:

Attachments

G

GMLWaffle

Collision question: Instead of using only one "spr_wall" and "obj_wall" to make up the whole floor and wall structure, the test room I set up in my get-the-feet-wet project has multiple Wall sprites just so they can flow more fluently from a visual standpoint (thus meaning there will be more Wall "objects" involved), is there a more efficient way to "group" them in the collision coding so as not to have to execute the same code for each individual "obj_****" that you will be using for your wall?

Example of wall "pieces" objects:
Okay so there's two ways I would go about this. The first is the easiest, but also takes up more memory and cpu. Create an object called obj_wallController and in your collision code use it, then in all of your other wall objects set obj_wallController as their parent object. This will cause them to act in the exact same way obj_wallController acts, and you don't have to add dozens of lines of code. The second, more efficient way would be to have all of your wall objects stored as a tileset instead, and have one object called obj_wall that's set to invisible so you can see it while editing your room, but it doesn't actually appear visible in your game. Here's a tutorial on tiles:

Hope this helps!

F

Fenysh Gale

Actually, that second suggestion sounds like it would work perfectly. Thank you much!

C

Caloxeno

I am new to Gamemaker, and I will make sure to check this out after finishing the current tutorial.
Started watching the first video, and it seems like a very good one!