Go North v.043

T

TriiiKill

Genre: Rouge-Like, 2D Top-Down, Shooter/Bullet Hell

Reccomended 1600x900 for best quality

Description: As a wanderer, you are traveling north to prepare for the coming ice age. Traveling East(Right) and West(Left) doesn't make you progress, however you can still grind, farm, and discover things while enemies are at the same level until you CAN continue to Go North. Use WASD to move, and the mouse the aim and shoot. Most of the game is straight-forward or common sense. There are skill points you earn from leveling up, but only by dying can you finally spend them. Careful not to let your heat drop too low, or death will follow shorty.

Controls not mentioned:

Ctrl: Fullscreen/Window mode Switch
Right-Click: Secondary Weapon
F1: Save
F2: Load

Screens:

Newest Version:
Version .043
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzjnnlt815cruq3/Go North 042.zip?dl=0

Version .043
-Changed the aesthetics of the gauges
-Added 2 progressional items
-Added Stats
-Added a room to train stats
-Added a cavern that randomly appears with a optional boss
-Added 2 new tiers of enemies
-Added a log to narrate the game
-Added a special enemy that can hunt you down, the log will inform you ahead of time
-Improved aesthetics of many sprites

Development Background:
This is the first game I started getting serious about finishing. I already know it's a long way from finishing, and my thought is that cosmetic features should be done last, game concept takes priority. That being said, the following is still a work in progress:

-Missing sprites (sprites are shapes instead of designs)
-Menus are missing
-There is only 1 boss so far
-The game has no ending, but continues forever if you wish
-Only 2 music files from free sites
-Many sounds are still needed

Any critiques and tips would be helpful. Keep the above in mind that I already know...
Thank You, hope you enjoy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

ThunkGames

This sounds cool, but I'd like to see some screenshots so I can discern whether or not it looks cool.

M

Morumotto

Good job! I'll enjoy seeing what comes out of this project. When I played I had some issues with the bullet scatter. It took a lot to kill an enemy that rushed at me, but it got better once I got an aim power-up, but it still stunk to shoot from far away and not have any bullets hit! The enemies were easy to dodge and kill, but it was still frustrating. That's my only complaint! I didn't try any of the other guns. But it's still good process!

T

TriiiKill

Good job! I'll enjoy seeing what comes out of this project. When I played I had some issues with the bullet scatter. It took a lot to kill an enemy that rushed at me, but it got better once I got an aim power-up, but it still stunk to shoot from far away and not have any bullets hit! The enemies were easy to dodge and kill, but it was still frustrating. That's my only complaint! I didn't try any of the other guns. But it's still good process!
Lols, yeah. If you tried the shotgun or minigun, that's the tradeoff. The sniper or the rifle is a good starter if you want to keep your distance.

edit*: Oh, you know what? I did forget to mention this: The closer your aimer is to the player, the bigger the spread of your bullets are. Try aiming past the enemies for more accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravedust

Gave this a shot, and played long enough to die from heat loss about 3 times.

I like the basic idea and I think it's worth moving forward with, definitely. :)

Couple small notes tho:

+ I would recommend working on enemies a bit so that they present a more of a challenge, as is they are rather easy at the moment which makes the game somewhat dull. Since presumably fighting these guys will be a big part of the game, it'll probably pay off to give them some love sooner rather than later since how your enemies react will probably effect a lot of how the rest of the game falls into place. I appreciate the effort you have put into enemy variety, though, I could discern different types by their behaviors even though they're all just colored squares. Maybe adding mobs that shoot projectiles would be enough to present at least a bit of a combat challenge.

+As mentioned, the way weapon spread works is a little weird. if I hadn't seen it explained in the thread already I would probably have had a hard time figuring it out.

+The weapon pickup sound is much, much louder than the other sounds in the game. Scared me once or twice. O_O

+Killing enemies in a zone with a negative difficulty rating appears to also grant negative XP, at least judging by the bar.

But anyway, I like the premise and this seems like a good start to things. I'll be interested to see future versions. :)

Hope the above is helpful and if there is anything specific you'd like feedback on, let me know. :)

T

TriiiKill

Maybe adding mobs that shoot projectiles would be enough to present at least a bit of a combat challenge.
Just wondering, by chance did you reach the Lvl 2 enemies? I recently put them at North lvl 11(indicator in the top left), but I realize that might be too far, and not many people will actually try to go that far.

Gravedust

Oh... No, I didn't, actually. Mostly I just went laterally left or right because fiddling with the difficulty multiplier was what was most interesting to me at the moment..
I'm guessing missed some significant things by not ...Uh.. doing what the name of the game says. >.>

I'll have another go when I when I have a chance and let you know. :)

Gravedust

Okay! Got a chance to play some more last night and encountered more enemy types.

The gameplay does get more engaging with the more advanced enemy types and higher mob concentrations (and faster movement speed and longer activation ranges, though I may have been imagining that) which is great, though I still died mostly from cold (after going 5/5 cold resistance after my first run) I think I was killed once by a grey box, and once by whatever mob it is that extends a line of other boxes at you.

I like the Grey mobs. At first I thought they seemed a little unfair because of their movement speed, but once I figured out what their mechanic was they seemed just about fine. I think they make a nice addition to gameplay, since you can no longer just spam shots everywhere without consequence.

I also found the button that makes you crap boots. So that was entertaining as well. ;)

T

TriiiKill

1. (and faster movement speed and longer activation ranges, though I may have been imagining that)

2. I still died mostly from cold (after going 5/5 cold resistance after my first run)

3. and once by whatever mob it is that extends a line of other boxes at you.

4. I like the Grey mobs. At first I thought they seemed a little unfair because of their movement speed, but once I figured out what their mechanic was they seemed just about fine. I think they make a nice addition to gameplay, since you can no longer just spam shots everywhere without consequence.

5. I also found the button that makes you crap boots. So that was entertaining as well. ;)
1. You are not imagining things, they actually do have farther sight at higher levels, the yellow guys have faster movement at higher difficulties, (but no one should be faster by going north.)

2. I am still adding mechanics to make staying warm a game strategy, until then I am going to reduce the harshness of heat loss in the next update.

3. The violet colored guys are supposed to create a normal red enemy when they are shot, and at most every couple seconds; I didn't intend for them to be able to create a large red enemy (which spawns on chance when a red enemy is created) but I just rolled with it. Now it just seems freaking scary that a normal enemy can create a large enemy, which should be rare, but happens pretty often. When Large enemies are created, they too spawn a few of themselves, but the smaller version, hence "the line of boxes."
TLDR: The violet guys should only be making 1 enemy at a time XD. I'm thinking of fixing that.

4. I'm glad you found the grey guys to be fair. I changed them many times to be more fitting. Personally, I still find them annoying.

5. God damn it! You weren't supposed to find that! XD. Oh well, you already know what's coming in the next update now. That button was to test the stat rolls for equipment that's coming soon.