• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Issue of sprite importing (ISSUE FIXED)

DTheChemist

Its frustrating dealing with this one issue with sprites. GMS2 seems to fall short having sprite importing be user friendly and simple. Is there any way i can insert my custom sprites one by one? I dont use sprite sheets and seems GMS2 forces you to do that which is tedious. All my frames are broken down already. GMS2 is like pulling teeth currently.

I like this engine for its coding because it doesnt take you around the planet just to code one thing like UNITY. But the importing of sprites is like, wow smh why was it made that way? will that be something the creators will update better? Im trying to stick with it but its hard and it even the coding part. im into 2D platformers and keep seeing this engine is the best for that but it really isnt the most friendly to insert sprite frames. Just being honest^^

Again, is there something im not seeing?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Create a sprite, open the image editor. Go to the "Image" menu. Select "Import Frames". In the explorer window Ctrl+Click on all the frames you want to import (or Shift+Click).

That is how I do it. :)

DTheChemist

Nah i always do that and one of my images comes poorly distorted. i dont understand why this happens. i customized these sprites long ago and this never happens in UNITY. i started using GMS2 because its way more user friendly for coding. i always highlight the frames the same way you explained and it always happens. i cant even swap a frame without it doing that again which i dont get

But click on the image below. thats the distortion difference. Top one is what happens when i try to "Import Frames. In the explorer window Ctrl+Click on all the frames". then that happens. its driving me crazy because i got all my coding fine but my sprites are coming out screwed up after importing. i dont have photoshop either. thats the only way i can make a sprite sheet. Left is the the distortion. Right is the normal one. It becomes normal if i import it alone with no other sprites

Attachments

DTheChemist

But isnt this an issue in Unity? is like it auto corrects it. what can i use to have it for the same exact properties. by eye nothing weird happens with that engine. It seems like with GMS2 its way more sensitive like Untity is sensitive with the coding.

But anyway yeah what do you use to set 8 bit sprites the same dimensions. like 32 by 32? do i really need photoshop?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Tbh, this shouldn't happen and I honestly thought the issue had been fixed (so all sprites were padded with empty space to the maximal size). I know this has been mentioned before, but a LONG time ago. I'd file a bug report about it, tbh... But until then yes, you'll have to make the sprites all the same size (which is why I have never come across the issue, as I always author sprites using the same size for each frame).

DTheChemist

Tbh, this shouldn't happen and I honestly thought the issue had been fixed (so all sprites were padded with empty space to the maximal size). I know this has been mentioned before, but a LONG time ago. I'd file a bug report about it, tbh... But until then yes, you'll have to make the sprites all the same size (which is why I have never come across the issue, as I always author sprites using the same size for each frame).
what program do you suggest i use to make the sprites all the same size though? im not lazy but i just gotta know the right alternate options if im aware of what to use so i can avoid that issue since the GM2 is weak in the import image area for now. I thought i could do that with Gimp but its not giving me the results i want without quality loss. I really hope they step it up in that area with GMS2 with a better update.

EDIT:

Ok i got on to Aseprite. I just made a sprite sheet. im gonna see what happens when doing it that way since i just saw a youtube tutorial using it for GMS2

EDIT UPDATE:

Alright i figured it out. i got the sprites to look good now. i just had to combine some prep methods using Aseprite and my Gimp 2.6 tool. its a lil tedious but it gets the job done for now

Last edited: