FMOD or other 3th party audio extensions

Niels

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have any experience with using audio manipulating extensions in gamemaker (think FMOD)?

I have a sound/music designer for my project who is used to Unity games and is wondering if GM has these possibilities/

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have any experience with using audio manipulating extensions in gamemaker (think FMOD)?

I have a sound/music designer for my project who is used to Unity games and is wondering if GM has these possibilities/
If you make an extension for it, you can certainly use 3rd party systems. And as Tsuka mentioned there may be some already made.

The audio functions included in GM is certainly "adequate" but lacking in higher level stuff. I'm actually finishing up the first release of an audio system that uses those base features and adds a bunch of stuff on top of it. It is all using the vanilla systems though so it isn't using any external code(only GML). I'd love if you told me some specifics of what you are wanting from external libraries, if nothing else so I can see if there would be any way to add them to a future release of my system.

Niels

If you make an extension for it, you can certainly use 3rd party systems. And as Tsuka mentioned there may be some already made.

The audio functions included in GM is certainly "adequate" but lacking in higher level stuff. I'm actually finishing up the first release of an audio system that uses those base features and adds a bunch of stuff on top of it. It is all using the vanilla systems though so it isn't using any external code(only GML). I'd love if you told me some specifics of what you are wanting from external libraries, if nothing else so I can see if there would be any way to add them to a future release of my system.
That sounds wonderfull, looking forward to it!

I think anything that can manipulate sounds on runtime (reverb, delay, low/high-pass filters) will be a big addition to Gamemaker.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
That sounds wonderfull, looking forward to it!

I think anything that can manipulate sounds on runtime (reverb, delay, low/high-pass filters) will be a big addition to Gamemaker.
Dang, this is the one big thing that it currently not easy to make happen with Gamemaker right now. You CAN use sound buffers, which can be played and manipulated. But the problem is that you would have to make ALL your sounds use them to expose this stuff. If you load sounds the normal way into the IDE, there currently(unless I'm missing something) is no way to get those sounds into buffers for manipulation.

D

Deleted member 13992

GameMaker would greatly benefit from basic reverb and filters, I completely agree. Sound design is one of those things that, if done well, really increase the player's immersion without them knowing exactly why. It's great!

Here are a couple resources for the FMODGMS plugin:

Function list:

I personally did not get very far with it. Though extremely comfortable with audio design/engineering, I wasn't familiar with core FMOD concepts that the extension depends on. So I went with hacking my reverb by managing a mix between 100% dry sounds and 100% wet versions. It's not great, but I wasn't ready to learn FMOD Studio. Probably not a problem if you're already familiar with it!

alexzzen

There was one for Wwise (my preferred option over FMOD), but no idea how it fares today after all the updates...
GitHub - CaKlassen/gmwwise: A Wwise Plugin for GameMaker: Studio
This is nice, but really outdated (Wwise 2016!). It will still work though.

I personally did not get very far with it. Though extremely comfortable with audio design/engineering, I wasn't familiar with core FMOD concepts that the extension depends on. So I went with hacking my reverb by managing a mix between 100% dry sounds and 100% wet versions. It's not great, but I wasn't ready to learn FMOD Studio. Probably not a problem if you're already familiar with it!
Just FYI: this extension uses FMOD's low level API, can't use Studio with it.

Last edited:
This is nice, but really outdated (Wwise 2016!). It will still work though.
Well, yes, but hey! It only goes 5 Wwise versions back (but still 10 000x more powerful than anything GM offers in-the-box, obviously) 😂
I doubt it would be up-to-date even with official support, tho.:rolleyes: