PushEd 2 - 2D & 3D Level editor

BlueBurn

PushEd 2, or shortly just PEd2, is a 2D and 3D level editor for GameMaker, created in GameMaker. It is designed as a library that you simply include into your project and you can start creating custom levels right from its executable. This also means you can distribute your game with the editor included and so allow players to create and share their own levels too.

3d.png

Experience the ease of creating complex two-dimensional and three-dimensional levels with our level editor. PEd provides you all the tools you need. You can simply drag&drop objects into the level, move them around, scale and rotate them, set their properties like name, creation code, colour and alpha. And of course you can change all the settings of room, including backgrounds, views and physic. All that with intuitive controls packed in stylish and easy to use user interface.

PEd is an internal level editor made in GameMaker: Studio. That means that you'll get the source code of the whole PEd that you can just insert it into your project. You can use PEd just for development purpose or you can leave it in your project so anyone can make levels for your game.

List of important features:
  • Support for both 2D and 3D games
  • Object and tile edit mode
  • Configure object properties, like their position, rotation, scale, color and alpha
  • Supports custom modifiable properties!
  • Slick UI with resizable windows and panels
  • Level saving and loading
  • Intuitive controls
  • 3D and 2D level editing
  • Easy to setup and use
  • Change all level settings, including backgrounds, views and physics.
  • Drag&Drop objects into the level
  • Move, rotate and scale instances
  • Edit instance properties - instance name, creation code, colour, alpha (more can be added with Custom Data Containers)
  • Tile editing
  • Supports grid alignment and multiple selection
  • Copy selected instances and tiles
  • New enhanced GUI system with resizable windows and panels, context menus etc.
  • Vector and matrix math library
  • Export/import levels to/from custom *.ped or *.bbmap formats
  • Access to full source code and documentation

Early Access:
To gain access to PushEd 2, become our Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/blueburn.

Note: PushEd 2 is currently in an early stage of development and its current state does not represent the quality of the final product. Any part of it can potentially be subject to change in the future!
So If you have any suggestions or you find some bugs please let us know on our
Discord or you can report it directly to our bug tracker, thank you!

Links:

Legacy:
NOTE: This version is obsolete and is not supported. On the sunset of GMS1.4, we have decided to release PushEd 1 for free! Thanks everyone who supported the development!

PushEd
, or shorly just PEd, is the first 2D/3D map editor of it’s kind for GM: Studio, giving you all the tools that you need.

Experience the ease of creating complex two-dimensional and three-dimensional levels with our level editor. PEd provides you all the tools you need. You can simply drag&drop objects into the level, move them around, scale and rotate them, set their properties like name, creation code, colour and alpha. And of course you can change all the settings of room, including backgrounds, views and physic. All that with intuitive controls packed in stylish and easy to use user interface.

PEd is an internal level editor made in GameMaker: Studio. That means that you'll get the source code that you can just insert it into your project. You can use PEd just for development purpose or you can leave it in your project so anyone can make levels for your game.

• Support for both 2D and 3D games
  • Object and tile edit mode
  • Configure object properties, like their position, rotation, scale, color and alpha
  • Supports custom modifiable properties!
  • Slick UI with resizable windows and panels
  • Level saving and loading
  • Intuitive controls
  • Easy to setup and use
  • Edit instance properties - instance name, creation code, colour, alpha (more can be added with Custom Data Containers)
  • Tile editing
  • Save/load levels to/from *.room.gmx files
  • Export/import levels to/from custom *.bbmap file
Links:

Last edited:

BlueBurn

New version is released! Here are changes in v1.4.0:
  • Changed controls.
  • Implemented custom version of Simplex XML.
  • Whole room saving/loading system has been rewritten from scratch.
  • Loading of GMX files is now treated the same way as BBMAP.
  • Created new version of BBMAP (v2), import of the old one still supported.
  • Rooms are now saved by default into a new .ped file format, that can contain more data useful for the editor, like camera position, edit mode (2D/3D), etc...
  • Improved Scene Outline panel - now shows also instance names and IDs.
  • In the Scene Outline, it is now possible to filter instances by their name and id.
  • Scene Outline now also contains the room.
  • In the tile edit mode, Scene Outline now shows list of all existing tiles.
  • Room settings has been moved from the Settings panel to the Details panel. To access them, a room must be selected in the Scene Outline.
  • Settings panel has been renamed to Tools.
  • Created new parent objects for 2D and 3D game objects. It is not necessary to set them as parents in your project, but can be beneficial. .
  • Created custom data containers for objects. It is now possible to register your own data to PEd and edit it in the Details panel.
  • Content of the Details panel is now drawed automatically for objects and tiles using the custom data containers.
  • Changed order of icons in the toolbar.
  • Added Play button to the toolbar.
  • Rewrote documentation comments to GMDoc format.
  • Unified coding style.
  • Moved code that doesn't have to be in scripts into objects.
  • Minor fixes and changes.

GET IT HERE: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/676/pushed
DEMO: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yobllztdpsqbo7e/PEd_DEMO_LATEST.exe?dl=1
DOCUMENTATION: http://blueburn.bluefile.cz/ped/docs.php

NOTE: If you have any suggestions or you found any bug please report it on our bug tracker or you can contact us via [email protected] thanks.

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Trying your demo, got this error:
View attachment 8225
Hey David. Thank you for the report. Seems like you were loading a GMX file that contains objects that the project does not have. You should only load room files that were created in the demo. We will fix the error message in the next update, so that the program will not crash when you try to load wrong files.

Hey David. Thank you for the report. Seems like you were loading a GMX file that contains objects that the project does not have. You should only load room files that were created in the demo. We will fix the error message in the next update, so that the program will not crash when you try to load wrong files.
OK, but I could not test your program's room importation. As a Demo, you should simply limit the number of objects it imports and the room width. In which case we can at least test your program properly. If we cannot test your full engine, we can be affraid of using it. Just a comment to help you sell your asset.

For me, I do not really see the reason why I would use an external software to create my rooms which is why I wanted to see what your program does better than GM itself. It would also be gould to know if you import GMS2 rooms or only GMS1, I only use GMS1 but I was unsure.

BlueBurn

Well, PEd actually is not an external editor, it's an internal editor.
That means you can edit your level while you are in-game and also you can allow to use the editor to anyone else who's playing your game.

D

Danilo Provenzano

Technical question of what you coded: first, amazing job. Second, i noticed that you have scrollbars in the windows and items are hiding when they're not visible.
Did you achieved that with surfaces or it's just the other window covering them? :)

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Hey Danilo. Thank you for your praise. Yes, the scrollable panels are made using surfaces. This approach also allows us to redraw the panels' content only when necessary.

C

CreativeBand124

Very good asset ! I buy it for myself and i am very happy it's working very well and i don't have any problems :)

BlueBurn

New version is released! Here are changes in v1.4.1:
  • Added possibility to hide/show any instance in the scene outline, current visible states are saved into the .ped file.
  • Included offline documentation.

DEMO: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu6146q2bhvmiph/PEd_DEMO_LATEST.zip

NOTE: If you have any suggestions or you found any bug please report it on our bug tracker or you can contact us via [email protected] thanks.

BlueBurn

New version is released! Here are changes in v1.4.2:
  • Added possibility to hide/show any tile in the scene outline, current visible states are saved into the .ped file.

BlueBurn

New version is released! Here are changes in v1.5.0:
  • Completely rewritten GUI system from scratch.
  • Improved layout of the GUI controls, so that they do not take up so much vertical space anymore.
  • Moved tile layers from the Tools panel to the Scene Outline panel (visible only when in the tile edit mode).
  • Fixed viewport zoom bug after creating an empty room/importing room from external file format.
  • Possible to select instances of PEd_oObject2D in 3D mode.
  • Changed instance properties in the Details panel are now applied to all selected instances.
  • When saving to a .ped file a backup of the original file is copied into the %APPDATA% folder.
  • Extended vector math library.
  • Fixed pivot in tile edit mode.
  • Updated documentation.
  • Code clean up.
  • Lots of other improvements and bug fixes.

BlueBurn

New version is released! Here are changes in v1.5.2:
  • Added a new macro PEd_CREATE_DUMMY_2D. When this is set to true, then a dummy object is created instead of the original one. This prevents executing game code in the editor. Applies only to objects that do not have set PEd_oObject3D as their parent.
  • Added script for converting meshes to d3d_models and vertex buffers.
  • Added script for loading 3D meshes from *.obj files.
  • Extended math library (matrices, vectors).
  • Fixed a bug where Content Browser would not work properly when you shuffle your resources in GM.
  • Fixed create event of PEd_oObject2D (custom data containers would load twice in the Details panel in some cases).
  • Fixed pivot rotation.

D

Deleted User

This editor looks good. Is the main editor in 1.4 harder to use or something? I own it, but haven't invested time with it yet.

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
This editor looks good. Is the main editor in 1.4 harder to use or something? I own it, but haven't invested time with it yet.
Hello Jperk. Even though you can save levels created in PushEd also to GM's native room file format, PushEd was not created as a replacement for the room editor. It rather allows you to create levels on game's runtime and so you can possibly allow the players of your game to create their own levels for it and share them with others. Another strong point of PEd is that it allows creating complex 3D levels, whereas the room editor has only 2D viewport.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If this was available for GMS 2 I'd be more tempted to get it. The only problem is I know how much work that would involve therefore asking for GMS 2 support is out of the question.

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Any idea of when full Game Maker Studio 2 support will be coming?
Since GMS2 introduced layers, has deprecated functions that we used for 3D and has a totally different room file format, which we are not willing to reproduce, we have to first think out in which direction we will be going with PEd2. Export to native GM room file format will be 100% dropped for sure, 2D level editing has to be completely rewritten and we probably should introduce some basic framework for developing 3D games in GM, as having a 3D level editor only (which PEd 1 was) showed up to be not that useful, since many people actually don't know how to make 3D games in GM and don't know how to make use of the editor. So yeah, PushEd 2 will most likely be not a simple port from GM:S1.4 to GMS2, but a rewrite. And I don't know how much time will that take.

BlueBurn

Now, on the sunset of GMS1.4, we have decided to release it for free! Thanks everyone who bought PEd and supported the development. The latest version can be found on the github.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Wow, Never saw this before, how could I? o_O
This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing it!
there is any possibility of this being isometric compatible?

BlueBurn

It should be compatible, depends on your code, but since you have access to the code of the editor, you can adjust it right ? :)

BlueBurn

New version is released! Here are changes in v1.5.4:
  • Fixed input field bugs.
  • Added a highlight around the currently active input field.
  • Fixed object DnD being dependant on order of folders in the resource tree.
  • Centered camera zoom in 2D.
  • Added camera controls to the status bar.
  • Moved resources not necessarily tied to PushEd into "Example" folders.
  • Created an extension (does not contain the "Example" folders).

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
I've created a new branch push3d in the GitHub repo in which I'm porting the 3D portion of PushEd into GMS2. The port is far from finished and the editor is not yet usable in production, but you can already check out the development progress. Cheers!

Last edited:

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Hey everyone, as I said in my last post here, I'm working on a 3D only version of PushEd for GMS2 - Push3d. As the project is really old, it contains some parts which I would write completely differently today, so I'm trying to at least refactor them so they are closer to my current knowledge and programming style. The first thing I began with is the pivot/gizmo, which in PushEd had some weird unconventional behaviour, especially when scaling multiple objects at once. To fix that, I took a direct inspiration from how it works in Unity (I know it's a bad word around here, I'm not a big fan of it either, but hey, it's one of the most used 3D engines), so now when scaling multiple objects at once, their distance from the pivot is scaled in global space, but the individual models are scaled in local space. It does look unsual compared to 3D modeling software, but here it's necessary, because otherwise the models would have to be skewed, which is not supported by the engine. Additionally I have added support for translations in local space. Here are some pics:

Translations in local space

Smooth rotations

New scaling
There are still a lot of places for improvements or even completely new features. So far I'm enjoying my revisit to this project, so we will see how it goes. Cheers!

Last edited:
N

NeutralD

Hi,
Is it actually possible to find the Push3D repo nowadays? It seems removed from everywhere.
Thank you!

PushEd, or shorly just PEd, is the first 2D/3D level editor of it’s kind for GM: Studio.

NOTE: Now, on the sunset of GMS1.4, we have decided to release it for free! Thanks everyone who bought PEd and supported the development.
The new successor is already in developement it's called Push3d and it's already on github so you can get immediate access,
if you want to support further development you can donate us some coins here or you can support us on Patreon thanks!

PEd is an internal level editor made in GameMaker: Studio. That means that you'll get the source code of the whole PEd that you can just insert it into your project. You can use PEd just for development purpose or you can leave it in your project so anyone can make levels for your game.

• Easy to setup and use
  • Intuitive controls
  • Tile editing
  • Save/load levels to/from *.room.gmx files
  • Export/import levels to/from custom *.bbmap file

Links:

NOTE: If you have any suggestions or you found any bug please report it on our bug tracker or you can contact us via [email protected]
did not work on my GMS-1.4, how to download an older version of it?

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Huh, yesterday I've actually managed to make a full port of the original PushEd from GMS1.4 to GMS2, including the 2D functionality! 🥳 So nope, PushEd for GMS2 won't be only a 3D level editor -- it remains both 2D & 3D level editor!

PushEd_GMS2.png
Tried to remake the temple map from the GMS1.4 screenshots. I know, it looks bad 😅 But hey, it works! 🥳

(EDIT: I will continue working on this once I have released BBMOD v3.)

Last edited:

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
We have launched Early Access to PushEd 2 for GameMaker Studio 2!

PushEd 2 is currently a complete working port of the legacy pushed for GameMaker Studio 2, with a few changes and fixes. If you had a GMS1.4 project using PushEd, you can upgrade to PushEd 2 and you will still be able to load the old *.bbmap files! More features are planned for the future, like for example adding more tools, improved GUI, undo-redo system and full integration of BBMOD. Same as with BBMOD GUI, we are making PushEd 2 accessible to our supporters on Patreon. To get PushEd 2, become our patron at https://www.patreon.com/blueburn, connect your Patreon account with your BlueBurn account (https://blueburn.cz/?menu=account) and download it from your library (https://blueburn.cz/index.php?menu=account_library). Many thanks to everyone who helps us develop these tools! We are working hard to deliver the best we can in return!