• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Gamemaker and OneDrive Synching Issues... Solved

Ok, the problem from the beginning...It has to do with OneDrive. I started getting an error-like message while importing sprites. It would pop up the “Project Directory Modified” box with reload and save for the options. I would just select save and sometimes my sprite wouldn’t import in correctly. It would either not be there at all or
be deformed or blank with a red X. I would to redo the import process, while getting the error message again sometimes, then the sprite would import correctly. I’ve read some past posts that synching Gamemaker and OneDrice cause these problems. I’m trying to un-sync them. When I save or open a project, Gamemaker automatically goes to the Documents folder of OneDrive. So I un synced documents from OneDrive thinking this would help. But Gamemaker still goes to the OneDrive folder when opening a project and automatically creates the GameMakerProjects folder there even though I tried deleting it and/or moving it to the Documents folder on This PC away from OneDrive. How do I stop it from doing this with OneDrive automatically. It’s annoying. I created and started saving my projects in my own folder away from OneDrive as far as that goes but this is still annoying how it keeps creating that project folder in the OneDrive Documents instead of This PC documents even after I un-synched them. How can I stop and change this....?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Using OneDrive or any other cloud sync service to store project files can be summarized like this:

Don't.

Did you restart your device after applying the changes you described? I'm not aware of any direct integration GMS2 has with OneDrive. All project files use relative file paths and thus should be transferable across your storage freely.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You can change the default project directory with File > Preferences > General Settings > Paths > 'My Projects' Directory.

You still have to move your existing projects away from the OneDrive directory, and manual fix everything that the sync app has botched.

I restarted my computer and now it’s automatically going to ThisPC documents and the Gamemaker projects folder when opening projects etc. instead of OneDrive documents. So restarting after I made some changes seems to have lined it out and got it away from OneDrive. Thanks a bunch for your quick replies with suggestions and help. I basically got my PC, and only use it, just for learning Gamemaker Studios 2, game developing and programming in general. So anything interfering with it or causing problems like OneDrive is pretty annoying and not good...hopefully this will help with the message box I had started getting when importing sprites. Thanks for the help.

I restarted my computer and now it’s automatically going to ThisPC documents and the Gamemaker projects folder when opening projects etc. instead of OneDrive documents. So restarting after I made some changes seems to have lined it out and got it away from OneDrive. Thanks a bunch for your quick replies with suggestions and help. I basically got my PC, and only use it, just for learning Gamemaker Studios 2, game developing and programming in general. So anything interfering with it or causing problems like OneDrive is pretty annoying and not good...hopefully this will help with the message box I had started getting when importing sprites. Thanks for the help.
I think my drawings with Photoshop may be storing on OneDrive also but I’d been saving and importing them from the storage with ThisPC on my computer....maybe where it’s synching them files is causing it. I may have to un synch it altogether or something.

You can change the default project directory with File > Preferences > General Settings > Paths > 'My Projects' Directory.

You still have to move your existing projects away from the OneDrive directory, and manual fix everything that the sync app has botched.
Quick question: what if you are unable to even use the File tab in the program? I'm getting the "Can't access vital system folders" error upon start-up, and I can't do ANYTHING from that point.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Quick question: what if you are unable to even use the File tab in the program? I'm getting the "Can't access vital system folders" error upon start-up, and I can't do ANYTHING from that point.
Then you should have opened a new topic instead of hijacking an old one. Your question has nothing to do with OneDrive.