• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Screen stutters!

Mottafier

Hello!

I use a very powerful Mac laptop, running bootcamp windows. I know it's good because it can run some pretty hefty games smoothly. But for whatever reason, all gamemaker projects I have worked on have had super stuttery/jittery framerates. I have looked into so many other posts, no one has been able to help so far. All I know is that when I raise the room_speed, the visuals get more stable. At around 200 room_speed, my gamemaker 2 games run smoothly for me. Also interesting is I ran an old game from gamemaker 1.4, and it ran perfectly fine as well. Something about gamemaker 2 causes my framerate to stutter and I hope I can find an easy solution! I would prefer not to just have crazy high room speeds.

Also, I have had no success with Vsync and display_reset.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
What does debug mode's profiler have to say about this matter? Any performance spikes from your game's side should make themselves noticeable there. There's also a chance there are external factors at play, but let's explore this side first.

Mottafier

What does debug mode's profiler have to say about this matter? Any performance spikes from your game's side should make themselves noticeable there. There's also a chance there are external factors at play, but let's explore this side first.
Well, I'm not enitrely certain how to make sense of this... But the game is pretty bare bones. Just an object moving left to right atm.
Capture.PNG

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That's not the profiler. This is the profiler.

Anyway, if there isn't even anything monumental going on in the game, the profiler won't show anything out of the ordinary... because there won't be any such thing. Never mind that part.

What is the output of show_debug_message(delta_time); running in a Step event?

Mottafier

That's not the profiler. This is the profiler.

Anyway, if there isn't even anything monumental going on in the game, the profiler won't show anything out of the ordinary... because there won't be any such thing. Never mind that part.

What is the output of show_debug_message(delta_time); running in a Step event?
Consistently in the 16,000 - 30,000 range.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That lines up with the issue you're describing (stutter), to say the least, as a single frame sometimes seems to take two frames' worth of time to process... depending on the distribution within that range, sounds like your game is struggling to keep the frame rate and should be somewhere in the range of 30~60. That, however, doesn't line up with the reported FPS. Strange.

Please try disabling anything else that may interfere with this. Close all other programs, temporarily disable all security software (antivirus, firewall...) and, in general, terminate all processes that aren't essential to rule out as many potential causes as possible. If you can get GMS2 and the game to run after booting to Safe Mode, that may be the easiest way to go about that.

Another thing to try is to override Vsync settings in your graphics card's control panel (this differs between manufacturers but should be trivial to search for), because if that's set to anything there, it will override any application-level settings.

If none of this helps in any way, please provide the hardware specs of your laptop, your OS version and GMS2 version.

Last edited: