• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GameMaker Studio 2.2.3.334?

Looking for a version of GameMaker Studio 2.2.3.334. It's not on the release notes with other older versions. I tried to download the runtime but it not showing in Preferences-Runtimes. I downloaded it and installed and gamemaker says Berwyn available when I restart it but it's not showing in runtimes for me to run it. Only runtime that shows is the current version.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If it's not on the release notes, you won't be able to download it as that is the only official source of downloads and sharing installers would be a breach of the EULA.

It is generally recommended to use the latest version. What do you need such an old version for in the first place?

JeffJ

That is a really, really bad idea in general for any remotely serious development environment, especially with the current state of things. Literally today I got a ticket reply confirming that a major feature in one of my projects does not work in any remotely recent version, and I have to go back to versions dating all the way back to 2019 for it to work. We really should have access to any runtime version we need. In my case, I would not have been able to confirm whether it was a YYG mistake or my mistake - but thankfully I had an old release that I was able to roll back to, to help YYG out and confirm that it was indeed on their end. They confirmed this as well. Please, please reconsider this policy.

gnysek

We really should have access to any runtime version we need
This works mainly for Windows (and even here on Win10 there will be issues with "windows scheduler"). For Android, iOS and others, you might be not able to export game, as tools/APIs/SDKs were updated and will crash with older GMS.

JeffJ

I am very aware of third party SDK dependencies and deprecations. That doesn't change my underlying point, and it is no reason for not having access to all runtime versions for specific needs.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That is a really, really bad idea in general for any remotely serious development environment, especially with the current state of things. Literally today I got a ticket reply confirming that a major feature in one of my projects does not work in any remotely recent version, and I have to go back to versions dating all the way back to 2019 for it to work. We really should have access to any runtime version we need. In my case, I would not have been able to confirm whether it was a YYG mistake or my mistake - but thankfully I had an old release that I was able to roll back to, to help YYG out and confirm that it was indeed on their end. They confirmed this as well. Please, please reconsider this policy.
All I said is that the release notes are the official download source and, thus, if a version is not listed there, it can not be downloaded through the official source. This of course doesn't exclude the possibility to contact support about it, but that doesn't come with any guarantees, either.

If you'd like to appeal against any of this, that would have to go through the official support channels, as I neither decided this nor am I in any position to change this, and the GMC is not monitored by those who are responsible. Discussing it here is pointless and off topic. :)

JeffJ

I am also aware that you didn't make this decision, I was merely adding thoughts I find rather important. I should have made it clear that I wasn't addressing you personally, but putting out general thoughts for community and staff alike. I might end up making an official appeal, but I also see value in community feedback. By that logic, any discussions about what the community wants / needs / wishes etc. are pointless - a stance I wholeheartedly disagree with.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Discussion topics are of course valid. But this is neither the official support channels nor a discussion topic. Discussing it in this topic is pointless and off topic. Should have been clearer, sorry.

Oh thanks for the replies. But I downloaded the official runtime from GameMaker website in a zip file. I followed the instructions to install it but it’s not showing when I go to runtimes. But when I restart GameMaker it says that a new runtime is available.

This is the link I followed

gnysek

tl;dr - YYG delisted it, but you can contact support to get info if it's still possible to still get it :)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
So this is about the runtime, not the IDE? I figured it's about the IDE. In that case, you already found the correct location to download runtimes from (https://accounts.yoyogames.com/runtimes) and if it doesn't show up in the search there, it's either not available through that channel or you have a typo (334 isn't on the list, 344 is). Contact support in the former case.

Yes you are correct I made a typo it is 344

I have already downloaded and placed it in the correct folders but the runtime is not showing up with the other runtime

GameMaker says a new runtime is available but I don’t see it

You are also right about me just looking for the runtime not the IDE

gnysek

Question is, what IDE you're using? Newer ones might not allow to use too old runtimes (but I'm not sure about this, it's just a guess).

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
2.3.0+ IDEs cannot see 2.2.5-and-older runtimes because those runtimes are incompatible with the newer project format. So this is why you can't install it now you have downloaded it.

You would need to use the 2.2.5 IDE in order to install and use that very old runtime (at which point I am very confident that the runtime would appear in the feed in Preferences just fine even without you having downloaded the .zip manually).